TV coverage maps | The Boneyard

TV coverage maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So ... if I am reading this right Uconn gets exclusive national broadcast on ESPN with no whip around in the Sunday 8PM slot?! And as I read all the first round time slots, Uconn is the ONLY team that gets a national channel devoted to it?!
I guess we must be special!:rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So ... if I am reading this right Uconn gets exclusive national broadcast on ESPN with no whip around in the Sunday 8PM slot?! And as I read all the first round time slots, Uconn is the ONLY team that gets a national channel devoted to it?!

• * Robert Morris vs. Notre Dame will be broadcast on ESPN and WatchESPN

Reaction Score
Yes, one game from each group gets its own exclusive broadcast in its time slot. They started doing this with last year's tournament, and once you're down to the Sweet 16 every game gets its own exclusive coverage. But, yes, your original premise is correct as no other team gets as much national coverage as UConn. Assuming they can make it to the final, they will have had half of their 40 games this season broadcast to nearly every TV in America. I guess it doesn't hurt to have ESPN in your backyard. It's the one saving grace for this program (that and having Coach Auriemma of course) being stuck in the AAC - UConn is still the team recruits will see the most on their TVs.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Yes, one game from each group gets its own exclusive broadcast in its time slot. They started doing this with last year's tournament, and once you're down to the Sweet 16 every game gets its own exclusive coverage. But, yes, your original premise is correct as no other team gets as much national coverage as UConn. Assuming they can make it to the final, they will have had half of their 40 games this season broadcast to nearly every TV in America. I guess it doesn't hurt to have ESPN in your backyard. It's the one saving grace for this program (that and having Coach Auriemma of course) being stuck in the AAC - UConn is still the team recruits will see the most on their TVs.
You guys have got to get out of the AAC; it will not be good for long term success of your programs.

Reaction Score
You guys have got to get out of the AAC; it will not be good for long term success of your programs.
I agree, but there's really no where to go right now. Conference commissioners at this point are tired from the last decade of conference realignments, so there seems to be little noise about further expansion in the power 5 conferences.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting the link to the map. I thought the UConn game was at six.

And so great to be able to see the whole game!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree, but there's really no where to go right now. Conference commissioners at this point are tired from the last decade of conference realignments, so there seems to be little noise about further expansion in the power 5 conferences.
Be patient with the flight this year of MD the ACC will be in action again.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Cool. Won't be able to watch it live, DVR and I won't have to worry about whip around losing half the game.

Reaction Score
I'm really surprised that they're showing 1-16 games on ESPN and doing whip-around on ESPN2. Only super duper die-hard UConn / ND fans are going to watch those games to the end.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Why? It was clearly the membership in the AAC that got UConn the national coverage for being that All American team. And Notre Dame probably got its national coverage because ESPN was confusing the ACC with the AAC again.

The SEC teams need to get out of their bog hole and join a conference that can get them some exposure. I'm sure the AAC could make some room for you under the right conditions. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Be patient with the flight this year of MD the ACC will be in action again.
I don't see why that changes anything. MD is replaced by Louisville.

BC, Syracuse, FSU, and Clemson are all reportedly opposed to UConn. Even if the ACC does expand, it will look elsewhere first.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't see why that changes anything. MD is replaced by Louisville.

BC, Syracuse, FSU, and Clemson are all reportedly opposed to UConn. Even if the ACC does expand, it will look elsewhere first.
I agree that is why I said the B1G is our best bet. My point per MD was simply shifting is still occurring. There will be more as the pressure on the NCAA .

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Why? It was clearly the membership in the AAC that got UConn the national coverage for being that All American team. And Notre Dame probably got its national coverage because ESPN was confusing the ACC with the AAC again.

The SEC teams need to get out of their bog hole and join a conference that can get them some exposure. I'm sure the AAC could make some room for you under the right conditions. :rolleyes:
LOL; I won't tell you how much money the SEC makes for its schools, which will go up substantially next season with the start of the SEC Network. It also benefits fans to have more amenities.

Reaction Score
I'm really surprised that they're showing 1-16 games on ESPN and doing whip-around on ESPN2. Only super duper die-hard UConn / ND fans are going to watch those games to the end.

Yes, I agree. Even the "whip around" coverage usually begins with the the game containing
the highest seeded team available, and they usually stay with that game long after it becomes
a 20+ point blowout.

I suppose you could say that if a 13, 14, 15, or 16 seed ends up giving the higher seeded
team a close game, then you've got something really interesting. But how often does
that happen?

The odds of getting an exciting game are obviously much better if you start with an 8-9
or 7-10 game. You can always join a 2-15 game later, if it turns out to be competitive.

Reaction Score
I agree that is why I said the B1G is our best bet. My point per MD was simply shifting is still occurring.

Don't hold your breath.
The B10 is fiscally conservative. The only reason they added MD & RU was because the ACC made a run at Penn St and they were worried about getting blocked from the east coast. They will be in no rush to act again.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
LOL; I won't tell you how much money the SEC makes for its schools, which will go up substantially next season with the start of the SEC Network. It also benefits fans to have more amenities.
Bah, money is overrated. Love and NCs is all that matters in life.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Don't hold your breath.
The B10 is fiscally conservative. The only reason they added MD & RU was because the ACC made a run at Penn St and they were worried about getting blocked from the east coast. They will be in no rush to act again.
Actually, though, I'm pretty sure that it was all about media markets. Rutgers for NY and Maryland for DC.

Often on the BY, reference to media market is taken to mean fan-base, but in reality it is related to how much fees they can get for the network, i.e. the right to say that the area is in your media footprint.

Reaction Score
Actually, though, I'm pretty sure that it was all about media markets. Rutgers for NY and Maryland for DC.

Often on the BY, reference to media market is taken to mean fan-base, but in reality it is related to how much fees they can get for the network, i.e. the right to say that the area is in your media footprint.
The B1G could have a strong foothold in NY if they scooped up UConn. Rutgers can't/won't do it.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The B1G could have a strong foothold in NY if they scooped up UConn. Rutgers can't/won't do it.
Do what? It is purely existence that gives them what they need for the Big Ten Network. In fact, I don't know for a fact if Storrs is considered the NY or Boston media market, but I do know that central NJ, where RU is located and I used to live, is part of the NY market. Further south in NJ is Philly market.

UConn would presumably give them more fans, it is true, but the Big Ten Network is generally part of a sports package that, after all, includes MSG and SNY which are Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Rangers, etc.; however, for each of those homes with the sports package the Big Ten Network will now get a bigger cut (or can charge more advertising or whatever the exact deal is) simply because there is a B1G team in the NY media market.

Reaction Score
Do what? It is purely existence that gives them what they need for the Big Ten Network. In fact, I don't know for a fact if Storrs is considered the NY or Boston media market, but I do know that central NJ, where RU is located and I used to live, is part of the NY market. Further south in NJ is Philly market.

UConn would presumably give them more fans, it is true, but the Big Ten Network is generally part of a sports package that, after all, includes MSG and SNY which are Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Rangers, etc.; however, for each of those homes with the sports package the Big Ten Network will now get a bigger cut (or can charge more advertising or whatever the exact deal is) simply because there is a B1G team in the NY media market.
Storrs is part of the Hartford-New Haven DMA, which is somewhere around the 25th largest in the country and basically covers the I-91 corridor from New Haven north to Springfield and all of central and eastern CT. I believe only Fairfield County in CT is part of the New York City market.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Bah, money is overrated. Love and NCs is all that matters in life.

Why not have all 3?

But seriously, this league will, ultimately, be the death of UConn sports if we don't find a way out in 2-3 years when the Big East exit fees run dry.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why not have all 3?

But seriously, this league will, ultimately, be the death of UConn sports if we don't find a way out in 2-3 years when the Big East exit fees run dry.
Your avatar looks real "shadowy". :D

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Your avatar looks real "shadowy". :D

I'm surprised you can even see us in your rear view mirror this year. Total bust on White Hart Lane - now even out of Europa.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm surprised you can even see us in your rear view mirror this year. Total bust on White Hart Lane - now even out of Europa.
We're out of CL. Got a decent shot at the FA though. I'm hoping (as are most people I assume, except maybe you guys) that we can play out of our minds for Wenger's 1000th and beat Chelsea tomorrow (helping us and everyone).

You guys are sitting ok for Europa again though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom