Tuesday's Mid-Major Championship Slate | The Boneyard

Tuesday's Mid-Major Championship Slate

Reaction Score
7 PM

Horizon Championship - Oakland v Cleveland State - ESPN:

• Onto his third decade at Oakland, Greg Kampe’s Golden Grizzlies are still a consistent presence in the Horizon. JUCO transfer Jalen Moore (17.8p, 8.4a, 1.7s) quickly became the star of the team. After five years as one of the worst teams in the country, Dennis Gates quickly turned Cleveland State around in just two years. He’s on a lot of team’s short lists and I’d expect him to move upward either this offseason or next. Cleveland State is a wing-heavy team, with all four scorers between 6-3 and 6-5 led by senior Torrey Patton (14.6p, 8.0r, 2.7a).
CAA Championship - Elon vs Drexel - CBSSN:
  • Elon made some waves over the summer with their four-man, 75th ranked recruiting class led by Wichita State decomitt Ja’Dun Michael and when you add ’21 commit RJ Noord that’s four three-star recruits across two years: not bad for a CAA team. Sophomore guard Hunter McIntosh is their scoring leader (15.5p). Similar to Cleveland State, Elon’s Mike Schrage has been lauded for turning around the program after just three years.
  • After four years of mediocrity, this is Zach Spiker’s best team in Drexel. Junior guard Camren Winter (17.3p, 5.4a, 41.6 3p%) is their star while former UConn target TJ Bickerstaff is their top big.
NEC Championship - Mount St. Mary’s vs Bryant - ESPN2
  • After getting the heck out of Fordham, Jared Grasso has turned Bryant into an NEC powerhouse. They roster five double-digit scorers including Rutgers transfer Peter Kiss (17.1p, 6r, 3.4a, 44.9 3p%) and Chris Childs Jr (14.1p) the son of the former Knick.
  • After a mass exodus a few summers ago, third year coach Dan Engel has returned Mount St. Mary’s as one of the best teams in the NEC. Led by junior mighty mite, 5’8 Damian Chong-Qui (14.0p, 4.0r, 5.5a), what sets MSM’s apart is their size: three of their starters are 6’8 or 6’9, a rarity in the NEC.
9 PM

WCC Championship: BYU vs Gonzaga - ESPN:

• The game everyone projected as both teams are clearly the top-2 teams in the conference. Does BYU have a shot? Sure. Tickle me skeptical about Gonzaga's championship odds this year considering BYU is the toughest team they've played in 2021.

Summit Championship: Oral Roberts vs North Dakota State - ESPN2:
  • Oral Roberts has one of the best inside-out duos in the NCAA between Max Abmas (24.4p, 44.6 3p%) and Kevin Obanor (18p, 9.5r).
  • After two straight excellent years in the Summit, NDSU rosters five players who average 9 ppg+, led by 6’10 senior big Rocky Kreuser (15p, 7r, 36.3%). The team has a ton of size, with their top six minutes guys clocking in at 6’3, 6’5, 6’6, 6’7, 6’10, 6’10. Along with @NDakotaHusky and my in-laws, I'll be rooting for the Bison!

Last edited:

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Can you add the won-loss records?

Reaction Score
Gonzaga - BYU is also tonight. Both teams likely in the tournament, but we'd prefer a Gonzaga win as BYU is in a similar range as us for seeding purposes and beating Gonzaga would likely put them ahead of us permanently.

BYU are 12 point underdogs as the 2 seed on a neutral court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mid-major heavy weight Boston College plays a fierce 11-11 Duke Blue Devils team at 4:30 ET.

goodfellas laughing GIF

Reaction Score
Elon had the 75th ranked recruiting class!? Mike Schrage might be a up and coming coach to watch.

Reaction Score
7 PM

• Onto his third decade at Oakland, Greg Kampe’s Golden Grizzlies are still a consistent presence in the Horizon. JUCO transfer Jalen Moore (17.8p, 8.4a, 1.7s) quickly became the star of the team. After five years as one of the worst teams in the country, Dennis Gates quickly turned Cleveland State around in just two years. He’s on a lot of team’s short lists and I’d expect him to move upward either this offseason or next. Cleveland State is a wing-heavy team, with all four scorers between 6-3 and 6-5 led by senior Torrey Patton (14.6p, 8.0r, 2.7a).
  • Elon made some waves over the summer with their four-man, 75th ranked recruiting class led by Wichita State decomitt Ja’Dun Michael and when you add ’21 commit RJ Noord that’s four three-star recruits across two years: not bad for a CAA team. Sophomore guard Hunter McIntosh is their scoring leader (15.5p). Similar to Cleveland State, Elon’s Mike Schrage has been lauded for turning around the program after just three years.
  • After four years of mediocrity, this is Zach Spiker’s best team in Drexel. Junior guard Camren Winter (17.3p, 5.4a, 41.6 3p%) is their star while former UConn target TJ Bickerstaff is their top big.
  • After getting the heck out of Fordham, Jared Grasso has turned Bryant into an NEC powerhouse. They roster five double-digit scorers including Rutgers transfer Peter Kiss (17.1p, 6r, 3.4a, 44.9 3p%) and Chris Childs Jr (14.1p) the son of the former Knick.
  • After a mass exodus a few summers ago, third year coach Dan Engel has returned Mount St. Mary’s as one of the best teams in the NEC. Led by junior mighty mite, 5’8 Damian Chong-Qui (14.0p, 4.0r, 5.5a), what sets MSM’s apart is their size: three of their starters are 6’8 or 6’9, a rarity in the NEC.
9 PM

• Oral Roberts has one of the best inside-out duos in the NCAA between Max Abmas (24.4p, 44.6 3p%) and Kevin Obanor (18p, 9.5r).
  • After two straight excellent years in the Summit, NDSU rosters five players who average 9 ppg+, led by 6’10 senior big Rocky Kreuser (15p, 7r, 36.3%). The team has a ton of size, with their top six minutes guys clocking in at 6’3, 6’5, 6’6, 6’7, 6’10, 6’10. Along with @NDakotaHusky and my in-laws, I'll be rooting for the Bison!
Bison have had good luck in that tournament as of late. Hope they pull it off tonight. I think they are slight favorites, but I'm not really sure.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Elon had the 75th ranked recruiting class!? Mike Schrage might be a up and coming coach to watch.

As an assistant at OSU he was really well regarded. His kid was classmates with my son and played at the school that I teach at. He is a pretty good point guard in his own right.

After that initial start, he has righted the ship. But it's a timing game at that level. Get in some talent and win some games for a couple of seasons and move on to the next level before it reverts back around. Sustaining that level of success in conferences like the Colonial is a challenge.

Wait too long and bright futures dull.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Anyone else watching the NEC game? What a fun ending! Talk about a chess match: real good coaching from both sides.
Got 2 TVs going (and think I’ll need more for the next 2 weeks). This is always a special time of year. Was rooting for Bryant to pull that one out!

Reaction Score
Wanted Bryant to win but they killed themselves mid game playing zone. Dan Dakich was all over it. The second they went back to man they battled close the rest of the way. It also didn’t help that aside from one guy, no one could shoot tonight. They normally fill it up.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga - BYU is also tonight. Both teams likely in the tournament, but we'd prefer a Gonzaga win as BYU is in a similar range as us for seeding purposes and beating Gonzaga would likely put them ahead of us permanently.

BYU are 12 point underdogs as the 2 seed on a neutral court.
This is right. We probably need to leapfrog both Creighton and BYU to get onto the 6/7 line.

BYU currently on fire and leading Gonzaga by 12. They're on pace to score like 55 points this half.

Reaction Score
This is right. We probably need to leapfrog both Creighton and BYU to get onto the 6/7 line.

BYU currently on fire and leading Gonzaga by 12. They're on pace to score like 55 points this half.
Know all this, but still can't help rooting for BYU.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
BYU looking great with what is probably the youngest BYU team in history. Most BYU teams wouldn't raise an eyebrow if they showed up at a 30 and over rec league.

Reaction Score
That Husky is weirding me out. It’s like someone accidentally erased something between the eyes and nose.
I kind of like it. It's similar to ours while it has more of the fur that our old mascot had.

Reaction Score
BYU can't miss. They've hit 8 of 11 3's. Not even playing particularly fast and they have 45 points with 4:30 to go in the 1st. Gonzaga not having a bad offensive half either, but this is going to be like 55-46.

Reaction Score
7 PM

9 PM

WCC Championship: BYU vs Gonzaga - ESPN:

• The game everyone projected as both teams are clearly the top-2 teams in the conference. Does BYU have a shot? Sure. Tickle me skeptical about Gonzaga's championship odds this year considering BYU is the toughest team they've played in 2021.

Not looking good for the Bison

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom