True Freshman | The Boneyard

True Freshman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Simple question.

Whether it's this year or next, which of the true freshman are you most excited to see hit the field and play?

Reaction Score
I gotta put my vote in for Josh Marriner. I think we found a diamond in the rough with this kid. Hes got good weight already for his position and we need a spark at the RB position.

Second nomination for Noel Thomas. I'm really interested to see if they keep him at WR, or switch him to CB. Love his size and athleticism. With Davis and Phillips being big WR's like himself (6'1 plus) having 2 years left each I feel we may be best moving him to CB where we could use some help.

Lagow would be my third, although I think he needs a year of pine I think he could be the future.

Reaction Score
Ellis marder for defense and tommy Hopkins have me curious. They both seem very athletic and are going to turn heads.

Reaction Score
For this season Josh Marriner and any receiver that can help because after Geremy Davis and Shakim Phillips we have nothing but question marks at receiver. Lamelle seems like a superior talent but hit weight is a concern.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I gotta put my vote in for Josh Marriner. I think we found a diamond in the rough with this kid. Hes got good weight already for his position and we need a spark at the RB position.

Second nomination for Noel Thomas. I'm really interested to see if they keep him at WR, or switch him to CB. Love his size and athleticism. With Davis and Phillips being big WR's like himself (6'1 plus) having 2 years left each I feel we may be best moving him to CB where we could use some help.

Lagow would be my third, although I think he needs a year of pine I think he could be the future.
They're probably going to try and redshirt all three freshman QBs.

Reaction Score
They're probably going to try and redshirt all three freshman QBs.

God forbid, that a true freshmen QB work his way into the rotation and up the depth chart and on to the game day two - deep as a backup, and then actually get into a game. That would be a complete disaster.

;-)

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I'm all in on Lagow. Kid is gonna tear it up.
Agree on Lagow. I think he's the one true frosh QB that doesn't red shirt because he rises to the top and becomes Whitmer's back-up. If he gets some quality game reps I think he's going to surprise with how mature and ready to play he is. I'd also like to see what kind of an impact Myers and Walsh can make.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Agree on Lagow. I think he's the one true frosh QB that doesn't red shirt because he rises to the top and becomes Whitmer's back-up. If he gets some quality game reps I think he's going to surprise with how mature and ready to play he is. I'd also like to see what kind of an impact Myers and Walsh can make.

Why don't we just give him the 2015 Heisman now? Lagow is at best 3rd string this year and is probably behind McCummings for playing time for this up coming season, making him a possible 4th string. If Coach Pasqualoni's and Weist's offense is an actual legitimate pro style, he will be best suited to redshirt, put some muscle on his frame, and learn the intricacies of the offense.

Reaction Score
Whitmer is the QB, Cochran is backing him up, and we've got a couple of young players that are very good that are going to work in behind them. That's what I think. It's murphy's law that the new backup QB is always the best player on the team for fans.

reality is that if true freshmen QB wins the starting job for the season that opens with Towson, Maryland and Michigan - we're fookied.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Even Johnny Football redshirted...

cttxus

Reaction Score
Why don't we just give him the 2015 Heisman now? Lagow is at best 3rd string this year and is probably behind McCummings for playing time for this up coming season, making him 4th string at best. If Coach Pasqualoni's and Weist's offense is an actual legitimate pro style, he will be best suited to redshirt, put some muscle on his frame, and learn the intricacies of the offense.
I was assuming that, at 240 lbs (which is bigger than all our TEs and LBs on the current roster) McCummings would not see much playing time this year as QB. If he does then yes, I agree he's the logical #2 for now. Also, if you followed Lagow as I have, you would know that he played his 4 yrs of hs ball in basically a pro style offense. That's one of the main reasons he wasn't recruited more heavily here in run 'n shoot, B12 country. BTW, forget 2015, what would be wrong with him being a 2014 Heisman nominee? That would be a good thing for us, right? ;)

Husky25

Reaction Score
I was assuming that, at 240 lbs (which is bigger than all our TEs and LBs on the current roster) McCummings would not see much playing time this year as QB. If he does then yes, I agree he's the logical #2 for now. Also, if you followed Lagow as I have, you would know that he played his 4 yrs of hs ball in basically a pro style offense. That's one of the main reasons he wasn't recruited more heavily here in run 'n shoot, B12 country. BTW, forget 2015, what would be wrong with him being a 2014 Heisman nominee? That would be a good thing for us, right? ;)

FYI - Donte' Culpepper was drafted at 6'4" - 255lbs.

Lagow is not the starter and Whitmer is not losing the starting position vs. Towson, unless they lose AND it is his fault. Also, McCummings is not QB2. Casey Cochran is. You cannot convince me otherwise that the best case scenario for Lagow (and Boyle) is to redshirt.

Reaction Score
I gotta go with the Local Guy Noel Thomas, I'm thinking he may get some catches this season I think he can become a real deep threat.

cttxus

Reaction Score
FYI - Donte' Culpepper was drafted at 6'4" - 255lbs.

Lagow is not the starter and Whitmer is not losing the starting position vs. Towson, unless they lose AND it is his fault. Also, McCummings is not QB2. Casey Cochran is. You cannot convince me otherwise that the best case scenario for Lagow (and Boyle) is to redshirt.
On what basis is Cochran #2? Not trying to be confrontational or negative, just curious since that's not the feeling I've gotten from reading this board over the past two years. Also, I'm not sure where you got that anyone but Whitmer should be the starter. On McCummings, and this is admittedly from my remote vantage point here in TX the past few seasons, and with all due respect to Scott, he doesn't throw the ball like Dante Culpepper. I didn't mention that in my previous posts because I don't like going negative, especially on the players. However, I think you'd find widespread agreement here on that fact, and from McCummings himself, who has admitted more than once he has to really improve on that aspect of his game. If we're going to execute an aggressive, balanced attack this year, we'll need a QB who can throw the ball well all over the field. If Whitmer has trouble or gets injured then, who gets the ball?

Reaction Score
argue all you want on the merits of the backup QB depth chart, it's always a popular discussion, and it's july.

Nothing changes the fact that if we're starting a true freshmen QB in 8 weeks when we go 3 straight home games against Towson, Maryland and Michigan - we're (Ked six ways till Saturday up the creek without a paddle, and it' won't be fun.

I think all of our young QB's are good players, but I also think that none of the freshmen QB's are anywhere close to being ready for the 12 week schedule we've got, and it's not going to start off slow.

Reaction Score
If Whitmer has trouble or gets injured then, who gets the ball?

I doubt that has been decided yet, that will hopefully be determined in August. McCummings cannot be ruled out, its possible that the new offense would do very well with a running threat at the QB position, nobody knows yet. Hopefully it will be an open competition for # 2, and I think Lagow probably does have a shot, but I would not call him the favorite. That would be very impressive if he is that good and is #2

If we are up 30 vs Towson does P burn Lagow's redshirt to get him experience? Would you want him to?

Reaction Score
One fo the three TE's (Stapleton, Thompson or Myers) is going to be on the two deep. Two of them may see playing time. Our converted OL is gone this year.

Husky25

Reaction Score
On what basis is Cochran #2? Not trying to be confrontational or negative, just curious since that's not the feeling I've gotten from reading this board over the past two years. Also, I'm not sure where you got that anyone but Whitmer should be the starter. On McCummings, and this is admittedly from my remote vantage point here in TX the past few seasons, and with all due respect to Scott, he doesn't throw the ball like Dante Culpepper. I didn't mention that in my previous posts because I don't like going negative, especially on the players. However, I think you'd find widespread agreement here on that fact, and from McCummings himself, who has admitted more than once he has to really improve on that aspect of his game. If we're going to execute an aggressive, balanced attack this year, we'll need a QB who can throw the ball well all over the field. If Whitmer has trouble or gets injured then, who gets the ball?

I never said McCummings could throw like Culpepper. It was merely a reference to Culpepper's size. There was also a QB named Lorenzen who played for Kentucky and was later drafted by the Giants who tipped the scales at close to or over 3 bills. Being the size of LB or TE does not matter, IMO. The most important attributes for a QB is above the neck. Nothing would make me happier to see McCummings change positions. That means UConn has ditched the telegraphed designed backup QB draws, once and for all.

"As far as quarterback, right now, junior Chandler Whitmer is the starter with redshirt freshman Casey Cochran the backup and junior dual-threat QB Scott McCummings there. The Huskies are bringing in Xavier-Middletown’s Tim Boyle, Plano High ( Texas) Richard Lagow and Atlanta area athlete Kivon Taylor." - John Silver

Also,

A wrist injury last summer forced Cochran to sit out last season, but the time on the sidelines appears to have served him well. He goes into this Saturday's spring scrimmage as the No. 2 quarterback on the team.

While Cochran has been hampered by minor injuries during spring practice, he is still taking a lot of reps. He said his arm strength has gotten better. He's able to make a lot of throws he couldn't have made in high school, and he feels like he's much better in terms of reading defenses and understanding the Huskies' offense.

Admittedly, other passages in the articles I've referenced clearly state that one of the three freshmen could potential challenge Cochran. But I base my opinion on experience of the young men. Cochran has a full mental year in the offense and played in a very windy spring scrimmage. Secondly, I don't want to take anything away from Lagow, but I also want to give due credit to Boyle. I understand that Lagow won a Texas state championship in 7 on 7, but didn't his 11 on 11 team go 6-5? The college game is played with the linemen and Boyle has 3 straight large school 11 on 11 state championships in his own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom