Tristen Newton and Cam Spencer of @UConnMBB are the only Division I teammate duo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tristen Newton and Cam Spencer of @UConnMBB are the only Division I teammate duo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Honestly with all the attention these two are getting, and they deserve it, I think that Karaban has been overlooked.

Karaban is the ninja of the team.

Reaction Score
Spencer is the best one year player we've ever had.
Hard to believe back in the off-season we were wondering if he'd even be good enough to replace Joey C's production.

He's actually been a better offensive player than Hawkins at the college level.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Cam has the numbers for certain and he's the perfect piece for his role on this team. But I'm not completely ready to pack away Nadav and store him in the attic.
Yep, this is another one of those instances where we can pause, take a breath, and reflect on just how blessed we've been as fans to have watched both, rather than dig in trying to sell which is the definitively correct answer.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Honestly with all the attention these two are getting, and they deserve it, I think that Karaban has been overlooked.

Karaban is the ninja of the team.
He's the most curious 'forgotten man' I've ever seen. And I get no sense that he's bothered by it. He doesn't even leave a silver bullet.

The CT Scoreboard podcast, with Alex & Jared (@gwhusky), avoids flash, excitement, and hype. Instead, transmits a low-key quiet confidence. Subtle, wonderful, effective.

Reaction Score
You are using a guard oriented offensive statistic to compare with a forward whose eye popping statistics were defensive. Trying to compare them based on statistics is fruitless.

As to your claim about how far they elevated the team, before the season UConn was projected from 5-8, ie, a two seed at worst. Spencer’s contributions have ”elevated” that to a certain one seed. UConn has yet to beat a higher ranked team, in large part because we started out highly ranked from the beginning.

At the beginning of the Dream Season UConn was not ranked, but we beat several projected one and two seeds on the way to the program’s highest seeding ever. Which of Henefeld’s teammates had NBA careers? Several of Spencer’s teammates will.
Scott Burrell, Chris Smith, Tate George, but I get your point. The talent level on this team is amazing.

I don't like comparing individuals from different teams because it's a team game, not an individual sport, and each player fills roles not necessarily designed to fill the stat sheet. Players are different, play with different teammates, and the game changes, so it is impossible to compare.

Nadav had almost 4 steals a game, just a crazy instinct. Cam and Dove, both incredible Huskies.

Reaction Score
Yep, this is another one of those instances where we can pause, take a breath, and reflect on just how blessed we've been as fans to have watched both, rather than dig in trying to sell which is the definitively correct answer.
One shoots much better from 3 at 45% on the year, overall, and from the free throw line and hits free throws at over 90%. He had 9 assists yesterday, Henefeld NEVER approached that. Spencer hits daggers consistently and has the most fire of anyone on the team. Henefeld was very good., especially on getting steals, but Spencer has been even better on a team with a higher ceiling, in large part due to his contributions.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Scott Burrell, Chris Smith, Tate George, but I get your point. The talent level on this team is amazing.

I don't like comparing individuals from different teams because it's a team game, not an individual sport, and each player fills roles not necessarily designed to fill the stat sheet. Players are different, play with different teammates, and the game changes, so it is impossible to compare.

Nadav had almost 4 steals a game, just a crazy instinct. Cam and Dove, both incredible Huskies.
I used the term NBA “careers” deliberately. Add up the years those three spent in the NBA and it might equal what Clingan's will be.

Reaction Score
I was talking to my dad about Cam tonight. Are we ready to say he’s having a better college season than Hawkins did last year?

That’s WILD to me. Wish we could have had him for four!

Reaction Score
Hard to believe back in the off-season we were wondering if he'd even be good enough to replace Joey C's production.

He's actually been a better offensive player than Hawkins at the college level.
Cam’s a magician with that fade away jumper, I’ve never seen one better. Couple that with his passing skills, ball handling, being automatic at the FT line, and his incredible deep range, then to me the differences between him and Hawkins are quite evident. All that being said, he will never have Hawkins speed on the court, jumping ability or the skills to tomahawk one from 18 feet.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Cam’s a magician with that fade away jumper, I’ve never seen one better. Couple that with his passing skills, ball handling, being automatic at the FT line, and his incredible deep range, then to me the differences between him and Hawkins are quite evident. All that being said, he will never have Hawkins speed on the court, jumping ability or the skills to tomahawk one from 18 feet.

I'm delighted to have witnessed Jordan's development & progress. I'm delighted to be witnessing Cam's performance, persona, and passion.

I'm delighted to be witness to 2nd year differences regarding Donovan, Alex, Tristen, and Hassan - 2 recruits from high school and 2 transfers. Given the limitations in saying time in the prior 2 seasons, Samson might also be viewed as, functionally speaking, a second year player as well.

I'm delighted to be witness to the first seasons for Cam, Stephon, Jaylin, and Solo, and the build-out of an 8-9 man rotation, within a season that included multigame absences of key players to injuries & recovery - 1 grad transfer, and 3 recruited from high school (with recruitment completed prior to the amazement of last year's out-of-starting-gate success; retained during the in-conference in consistencies; and established without great need to look ahead during the Championship run.) We've even seen signs from Apostolos and Jayden.

Once again, I'm seeing all of this through the both/and lens much more so than either/or. What this team does with its well-earned #1 seeding will inevitably help to form & shade people's future memories and assessments.

We who are present to the moments, flow, and particulars of each game are seeing something very very special. May it sustain, one game at a time.

Go Huskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak