Tre Mitchell OV - This weekend | The Boneyard

Tre Mitchell OV - This weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any insiders think we have a shot or still lock for ND?

Reaction Score
My fingers have been crossed for Akok - Kofi - and Precious. I never really had a thought about Akok - Mitchell - and Wahab. I understand Mitchell is a supposed ND lean and Wahab supposedly Pitt, but that mix would be great to me. A 3pt shooter shot blocker, a strong low post scorer, and a developing shot blocking center, is a very workable mix, especially as multiyear core players. Interesting potential for the next couple weeks, without taking Kofi & Precious off the board. Clearly, we have a chance at each.

As an aside, if Akok becomes a reality, I will be particularly impressed that our 'insiders' made such strong calls with Akok actually at PC on his official visit, with the opening of a new facility, and with 3 of his Mass Rivals teammates already on the team. Coupled with one or both of Wahab - Mitchell I would tip my hat to Hurley and our 'insiders'.
Instead of just hoping, this would be the class that got us back. I can live without 1 and dones, and the spring might open something for Precious anyway.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
My fingers have been crossed for Akok - Kofi - and Precious. I never really had a thought about Akok - Mitchell - and Wahab.
It's Mitchell *or* Wahab. It wouldn't, under any circumstances, be Mitchell *and* Wahab. And if we get Kofi it's neither of them.

You're right that they're very different players, though. And yeah, I'm surprised that Mitchell didn't come off the board this week given everybody thought he was a shoo-in for ND. But you know, I've heard it said that recruiting is fluid, grain of salt and all that...

Reaction Score
Look out, Mitchell coming in a week before Wahab with no Kofi visit in sight.

I don't know what Notre Dame's front court looks like currently, but Tre Mitchell must see that UConn will only have one big body next year and that is Josh Carlton. He'll get excellent minutes right away. Big and very strong, mobile, with a really nice all around skill set for a big man. Posts aggressively and powerfully with his hips/ legs/feet, can finish, shoots the midrange J, sneaky good passer with court awareness, space eater who rebounds, can put the ball on the floor, capable of shooting threes. Talented offensive player that would score a lot of points here and be a powerful force in the paint. Best offensive game of these three players, but we all know what Kofi can do, and Qudus Wahab looks real good also.

It would appear that we're going to get one of these three players; staff is making all the right moves.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Akok needs a Tre to serve delicious jams!!!

Reaction Score
Based on nothing but the eye test, this kid seems like the kind of guy who stays for four years, is solid as hell, and then goes and plays in Europe for ten years. There's something to be said about the undersized big who just knows how to play.

Reaction Score
@Matrim55 When you say no way we take both Mitchell and Wahab, is that from their perspective, ours, or both?
I know Tom Moore indicated that we wanted a player at each position. Do we know factually whether Mitchell sees his college position as a 4PF or 5Center? If Mitchell wants to play center then it could be one or the other, or, if we are really confident in our chances with Precious we might want to keep a space open. But I could see Akok, Mitchell, and Diarra at the PF, and Wahab and Carlton as the 5's. That doesn't seem any more crowded than adding Akok, Achuiwa, and Wahab, where Achiuwa would definitely have time at both the 3 and 4.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Where is Mitchell ranked compared to Kofi and Achuiwa.

Reaction Score
Mitchell could play the big power 4 spot like a Jeff Adrien, which is a very loose comparison, but his game is different than Josh Carlton"s primarily back to the basket skill set. Mitchell can play away from the basket. They could both be on the floor, we would be playing big, but not very fast. It's not likely but it is possible.

Mitchell could play the 5 too because he is also really good in the post, getting position, scoring and rebounding. He's a big dude, he plays with power and footwork.

Kofi and Wahab are more prototypical 5 centers, but have different body types and playing styles. These three are very different players even though they also surely have some skills in common.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Mitchell could play the big power 4 spot like a Jeff Adrien, which is a very loose comparison, but his game is different than Josh Carlton"s primarily back to the basket skill set. Mitchell can play away from the basket. They could both be on the floor, we would be playing big, but not very fast. It's not likely but it is possible.

Mitchell could play the 5 too because he is also really good in the post, getting position, scoring and rebounding. He's a big dude, he plays with power and footwork.

Kofi and Wahab are more prototypical 5 centers, but have different body types and playing styles. These three are very different players even though they also surely have some skills in common.
A Carlton Mitchell frontcourt is really slow and earthbound.

Reaction Score
A Carlton Mitchell frontcourt is really slow and earthbound.
I hope Carlton plays well for this upcoming season first. Then who we recruit .... We recruit.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I think one of KO's recruiting weaknesses was going all in with his #1 wants and subsequently settling for guys as afterthoughts. I like seeing Hurley put pressure on some of our big wants. A good coach doesn't need the best players in the world to build the best team in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom