OT: - Travelers Championship 2023 | The Boneyard

OT: Travelers Championship 2023

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Did you see that Jon Rahm committed to the Travelers? That makes 6 out of the Top 6 to do so. It's has to be the best field ever. And the scuttlebutt is that it my become an "elevated" event more than just this year. In the annals of good hires, Nathan Grube has to be at the top of the list. I remember when he was hired. I'm pretty sure on the Yard I said he was nothing but a hype man.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yep. Great field. This was the purpose of the elevated events. Have a select few tour stops beyond the majors that funnels all the top players in to the field. Maybe Traveler's gets it again next year, maybe not. If they can get 2 out of 3 years or 3 out of 5 years, that's a workable solution.

The key for all these tour stops is how do you get fans for the years when you are not an elevated event. My thought process is get the young up and comings and promote the heck out of them to get fans to see the stars before they were stars. Treat it like a AA or AAA all-star game. Give some exemptions to real good amateur golfers in the New England area and then sprinkle in some old-timers on their last legs and market it as the last chance to see them before they ride off to the Champions Tour.

But yeah, great news for Traveler's. You know the crowds will be huge and back 9 on Sunday should produce some massive roars.

Reaction Score
The field is going to be great this year. Now if only they would cut it low surrounding 15, we could be in for the perfect tournament.
Travelers does well historically due to the not well-kept secret that they pay players a ton of money under the table to come. I would like to see it kept as an elevated event every year, but they've stated that won't likely happen. Regardless, Grube will still find ways to funnel money into the players hands and get the field good every year

Reaction Score
Yep. Great field. This was the purpose of the elevated events. Have a select few tour stops beyond the majors that funnels all the top players in to the field. Maybe Traveler's gets it again next year, maybe not. If they can get 2 out of 3 years or 3 out of 5 years, that's a workable solution.

The key for all these tour stops is how do you get fans for the years when you are not an elevated event. My thought process is get the young up and comings and promote the heck out of them to get fans to see the stars before they were stars. Treat it like a AA or AAA all-star game. Give some exemptions to real good amateur golfers in the New England area and then sprinkle in some old-timers on their last legs and market it as the last chance to see them before they ride off to the Champions Tour.

But yeah, great news for Traveler's. You know the crowds will be huge and back 9 on Sunday should produce some massive roars.
What will always keep Traveler's a marquee event is the accessability of all the holes. You'd be hard pressed to find a more viewer-friendly golf course. I always like posting up around 10/11/12, then moving to behind 13/view of 14 tee. Its not a great course by course design, but it IS great for viewing which more than makes up for the meh design

Reaction Score
Grube's wingman Andy Bessette (UConn) has been a tremendous asset to the Travelers Tournament over the years.. Players/families/sponsors/caddies always giving him compliments for him going above and beyond in helping them feel comfortable during their stay in Ct.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Grube's wingman Andy Bessette (UConn) has been a tremendous asset to the Travelers Tournament over the years.
I remember my overnight UConn orientation. They had had us walking all over campus and the entire time there was this hammer thrower working out alone. The guide said, "He's there all the time. He's going to the Olympics." That was Bessette. And he made the team but it was the boycott games.

Reaction Score
Anyone know why Tiger avoided Hartford like the plague? He has never played here.

The GHO has a very strong history of being accomodating to minorities. It has given many exemptions to minority players, Sahith Theegala being one of the latest. It was also historic in that it was Charlie Sifford's first PGA victory. Tiger's college teammate, native American, Notah Begay also won here. Lee Trevino won and was a fixture here. It was one of the few events to ever have an African American title sponsor in Sammy Davis Jr.

Why did Tiger never play in what has been one of the most prominent events for minorities in PGA history? Has he ever spoken about it? Early in his career, he actually promised to play every PGA event. No Hartford though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If he wasn't going to play Hartford when his sponsor was the title sponsor, I wonder if he'll ever play it. Even Jack played it twice.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Anyone know why Tiger avoided Hartford like the plague? He has never played here.

The GHO has a very strong history of being accomodating to minorities. It has given many exemptions to minority players, Sahith Theegala being one of the latest. It was also historic in that it was Charlie Sifford's first PGA victory. Tiger's college teammate, native American, Notah Begay also won here. Lee Trevino won and was a fixture here. It was one of the few events to ever have an African American title sponsor in Sammy Davis Jr.

Why did Tiger never play in what has been one of the most prominent events for minorities in PGA history? Has he ever spoken about it? Early in his career, he actually promised to play every PGA event. No Hartford though.
I think our place on the schedule always was slammed up to a Major weekend. He needed to focus on those, I guess.

And maybe the layout wasn't Tiger-ized enough.

Reaction Score
Andy and Grube are talking to the PGA and there is a VERY good shot that the Travelers Championship is a permanent elevated event. They will not be rotating from what I heard and it will be announced probably sometime in July. There will also be more top players commitments coming in the next few weeks. This years event is going to be amazing

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I think I will do Saturday. Haven't been since I stopped doing 7-day volunteer stints as a Jaycee.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There will also be more top players commitments coming in the next few weeks. This years event is going to be amazing
Spieth hasn't committed yet and he's always been a big supporter.

Reaction Score
Spieth is driving his RV and family to Tournaments this year.. His interest may be a function of where he's driving from--Previous Tournament site.

Reaction Score
When the GHO hired a tournament director rather than rotating among the Hartford Jaycees, it changed the trajectory of the tournament along with Travelers as the sponsor. Unfortunately, it also led to the demise of the Greater Hartford Jaycees and much of the charitable work they did.

Reaction Score
Spieth also WD'd this week with a wrist injury.
One of the challenges the Travelers Tournament has had it is has historically followed the US Open as it is this year.. The elevated status of the Tournament should make it more financially attractive and significant re: points than in previous years for the top 25 ranked players like Rahm/Rory/JT/Scheffler to name a few..

The combination of the elevated status and the PGA investment in the clubhouse/restaurant complex at River Highlands speaks volumes about how the PGA views this Tournament and how its run.. All good for golf fans in Ct..

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One of the challenges the Travelers Tournament has had it is has historically followed the US Open as it is this year.
When the GHO hired a tournament director rather than rotating among the Hartford Jaycees... Unfortunately, it also led to the demise of the Greater Hartford Jaycees and much of the charitable work they did.
Unfortunate but it needed to be done. Remember, the GHO was effectively cancelled by the PGA. Shunted into a meaningless, post-championship fall weekend. When the new tournament that was supposed to replace the GHO didn't happen, it got another chance at what was a sub-optimal weekend. But the Travelers and the new regime made lemonade out of lemons and now we have one of the top non-major events. And I don't think any overall charitable work from the tournament has been lost, increased if anything.

Reaction Score
Spieth is out with a bad wrist. Not sure what that means for the rest of his seaon.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
AT&T this week is a good blue print for what to do on years you aren't an elevated event.

Good winner in Day a known player who has won a major.
You still get a few top players in the field and hope they do good like Scheffler did.
Some locals who have played for a while like Ryan Palmer.
Sprinkle in some young up and comers with local or regional ties like Eckroat and Dou.

You won't necessarily get huge TV ratings but it gives the CT and New England fans a reason to show up on the weekend and watch in person.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
AT&T this week is a good blue print for what to do on years you aren't an elevated event.

You won't necessarily get huge TV ratings but it gives the CT and New England fans a reason to show up on the weekend and watch in person.
Funny it should be Day, I was in Cromwell on a Thursday off-year a while back and we followed Day for a few holes because my date liked his white slacks. The Travelers has pretty much always been an event even without a ton of stars but with a great field the fans are a bit more juiced.

Reaction Score

You still get a few top players in the field and hope they do good like Scheffler did.
Some locals who have played for a while like Ryan Palmer.
Sprinkle in some young up and comers with local or regional ties like Eckroat and Dou.

Reiterating what I posted above, there is a very good chance the Travelers Championship will be a permanently elevated event. The PGA won’t be rotating. This will be announced sometime in July unless something changes

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Reiterating what I posted above, there is a very good chance the Travelers Championship will be a permanently elevated event. The PGA won’t be rotating. This will be announced sometime in July unless something changes

That will be interesting. It's a Richard move to make a tourney a week before or week after a major and elevated event.

Now, if they shift the Tourney to the week after the week after the US Open it would make sense and be great for the area.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I actually heard the same thing. From a local guy who golfs occasionally with rich people. It makes so much sense. I know earlier I said the party will help the slow years. But Hartford will support anything that sniffs big time. Like UConn BB, the ticket prices will go up but the market will pay it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom