Transfer Portal | Page 29 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not loving this news because in my mind we would have already had a target and been close to an agreement. Hopefully not too long of a wait
This place man.

He’s getting some basic insider scoop info which is all we can expect at this point. His source is not gonna spill the beans on intricate details so a bunch of messageboard randos can stop having unnecessary heart attacks and brain aneurysms

Reaction Score
He’s the guy. We get him and next year will be a lot of fun.
go to 11 spinal tap GIF

Reaction Score
I agree. As a Bruins fan, I think the Tyler Seguin trade is a good example of this. The Bruins got the pick from a trade while they were already really good. He was a generational talent and was groomed to be the next guy and lead them to dominate the league.

But it didn't happen for him. He was pretty good, showed flashes. He was like a 2/3 of a point a game guy. But there were maturity issues, he was seen out partying constantly, and he was playing a bit out of position, etc. They traded him before his 4th year, and he blew up and immediately became a 1 point a game guy on his new team for his whole prime. All-Star, 6th in MVP voting... immediately. Almost every Bruin fan curses this trade. How could they give up on the guy that fast? It's an All-time self scouting fail.

Or is it? I consider this trade (and many of these transfer situations) Schrödinger's trade. The act of trading him itself may have altered his outlook. Made Seguin reconsider and adjust his work ethic and career. Let him play in a style that fit him better. It's impossible to know if he would have further developed into an All-Star in Boston. Could they have gotten him to the point to re-consider those things without trading him? I don't know. Nobody does.
Good summary. That was a really tough trade! The age-old question of was he just about to blossom in his 4th season, maturity setting in, or as you say, did the trade cause the maturation? Will never know, but Dallas is pretty happy, that’s for sure! If I recall, he was one of the big three drafted that year and had the B’s held onto him, the they could now have two of them! Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin would’ve been a nice duo!

Reaction Score
This place man.

He’s getting some basic insider scoop info which is all we can expect at this point. His source is not gonna spill the beans on intricate details so a bunch of messageboard randos can stop having unnecessary heart attacks and brain aneurysms
What the hell are you talking about. I simply stated I hoped we were further along with a prospect, never did I disparage his info. I thought that maybe gaffney transferred because he knew who was coming in, clearly not the case.

Reaction Score
What the hell are you talking about. I simply stated I hoped we were further along with a prospect, never did I disparage his info. I thought that maybe gaffney transferred because he knew who was coming in, clearly not the case.
You said: “Not loving this news because in my mind we would have already had a target and been close to an agreement.”

What husky99 said doesn’t at all imply imply that we don’t already have a target and could even have an agreement. His insider info indicated the staff was busting its collective hump to find the best players from any source.

It’s an active process, we have up to 3 spots open. We may already have hit pay dirt on at least one new player. Just have to try to relax & be patient :)

Reaction Score
I thought that maybe gaffney transferred because he knew who was coming in, clearly not the case.
gotta admit i'm struggling with the logic behind his decision, at least the timing of it. gaffney and diggins both made their announcements after cole and martin both said they were leaving. why not wait to see who hurley brings in to replace our starting backcourt before deciding to transfer? do they have that little confidence in themselves that they won't even attempt to compete for more PT next year with whoever hurley brings in?

EDIT- i guess diggins said he wanted to be closer to home. fine. but is there a chance gaffney will take his time and depending on who hurley brings in, might be convinced to come back?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who is the someone?
For all we know, this could be the source:
Girlfriend went to K State so I've watched him play more than most here. Ironically I said allll year he's exactly the type of guy that we need to get to the next level. Sign me up
Borges normally isn’t full of it, though. Let’s hope there’s something there.

Reaction Score
gotta admit i'm struggling with the logic behind his decision, at least the timing of it. gaffney and diggins both made their announcements after cole and martin both said they were leaving. why not wait to see who hurley brings in to replace our starting backcourt before deciding to transfer? do they have that little confidence in themselves that they won't even attempt to compete for more PT next year with whoever hurley brings in?
Because if you wait that long all the other teams are filling their rosters with the 1000 other transfers available and your options are really limited

Reaction Score
Because if you wait that long all the other teams are filling their rosters with the 1000 other transfers available and your options are really limited
but we're in the same boat operating on the same timeline. hurley wants to find new players as quickly as players want to find new schools, they can happen simultaneously. heck hurley is in an even bigger hurry since he has to find 4 new players, whereas a given player only has to find 1 new school. i could see gaff having a soft commit in place but waiting to pull the trigger until he has to.

but it's absolutely true that the longer it take hurley to fill the spots, or at least exhaust his options, the less likely it is gaff would remain uncommitted.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You said: “Not loving this news because in my mind we would have already had a target and been close to an agreement.”

What husky99 said doesn’t at all imply imply that we don’t already have a target and could even have an agreement. His insider info indicated the staff was busting its collective hump to find the best players from any source.

It’s an active process, we have up to 3 spots open. We may already have hit pay dirt on at least one new player. Just have to try to relax & be patient :)
We decipher inuendo differently, I hope your interpretation is correct. Still not sure how I offended your sensibilities

Reaction Score

EDIT- i guess diggins said he wanted to be closer to home. fine. but is there a chance gaffney will take his time and depending on who hurley brings in, might be convinced to come back?
I’m assuming that diggins realized him and Hurley don’t mesh and the pairing with a different coach will go better. I guess gaffs nerves are shot here and thinking a fresh start will help solve that

Reaction Score
but we're in the same boat operating on the same timeline. hurley wants to find new players as quickly as players want to find new schools, they can happen simultaneously. heck hurley is in an even bigger hurry since he has to find 4 new players, whereas a given player only has to find 1 new school. i could see gaff having a soft commit in place but waiting to pull the trigger until he has to.

but it's absolutely true that the longer it take hurley to fill the spots, or at least exhaust his options, the less likely it is gaff would remain uncommitted.
Everything you just described is exactly why it makes sense Gaffney decided and entered the portal yesterday. Take our PG situation which as you correctly stated Dan Hurley is in a hurry to fill. We reached out to Tristen Newton to fill our PG hole. If his response was I'm waiting to see what happens at other schools do you think we're just going to wait around and not take other PGs? I don't think we would, and wouldn't expect other schools to do that either, so his options would be shrinking by the day. Nobody is sitting around and saving a scholarship until July for Jalen Gaffney to decide if he wants to transfer, that's absurd

Reaction Score
RE: Nijel Pack

Time for a full-court Boneyard press on Twitter. Follow him immediately.

On an unrelated note, Eric Gaines hit the portal. Three years of eligibility remaining.

6'2 155 (makes me feel yoked) LSU point guard is arguably one of the best defensive point guards in the nation (2.1 steals/game). Solid 46 2p%, but 25% from deep (2.4 attempts/game).

If we nab a scoring point guard, would Eric Gaines be an interesting defensive hound to pair with?

Reaction Score
Nobody is sitting around and saving a scholarship until July for Jalen Gaffney to decide if he wants to transfer, that's absurd
of course not july. we're in deep doodoo if it's july and we're recruiting anyone but a reclass. but arent we hoping to have at least 2 transfer commits by the end of april? if i'm gaffney i'm waiting a couple weeks to commit elsewhere if there's a chance i could get significant PT at my original school.

Reaction Score
of course not july. we're in deep doodoo if it's july and we're recruiting anyone but a reclass. arent we hoping to have at least 2 transfer commits by the end of april? if i'm gaffney i'm waiting a couple weeks to commit elsewhere if there's a chance i could get significant PT at my original school.
Yeah I don't remotely agree, by the end of April Gaffney would have half the suitors he'd have now if he was lucky. But your whole premise is off because there was no scenario he was getting playing time at UConn

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't remotely agree, by the end of April Gaffney would have half the suitors he'd have now if he was lucky. But your whole premise is off because there was no scenario he was getting playing time at UConn
gaffney has a lot more schools to choose from than there are starting quality Gs available to us in the portal right now... how many options are there right now for us? a dozen? 20? whereas gaff could play at almost any midmajor. there is definitely a scenario where we dont land a backup CG as good as he is. i wont like it but the scenario exists.

Reaction Score
gaffney has a lot more schools to choose from than there are starting quality Gs available to us in the portal right now... how many are there right now a dozen max? whereas gaff could play at almost any midmajor. there is a scenario where we dont land a backup CG as good as he is. i wont like it but the scenario exists.
Incorrect, there are way more than a dozen starting quality guards in the portal. Going by the EvanMiya transfer rankings there are currently 51 guards (PG or SG) rated higher than Gaffney and that list continues to grow. There's no scenario we're ending up with a worse guard than Gaffney

Reaction Score
Incorrect, there are way more than a dozen starting quality guards in the portal. Going by the EvanMiya transfer rankings there are currently 51 guards (PG or SG) rated higher than Gaffney and that list continues to grow. There's no scenario we're ending up with a worse guard than Gaffney
all 50 are starting quality? we need two starting quality Gs that 100% need to be better than gaff. but i'm talking about also landing a third G that is a better backup CG than gaff would be. if so, i'm glad you're so confident we are landing 3 of the top 50 available Gs! let's see what happens.

Reaction Score
i'm glad you're so confident we are landing 3 of the top 50 available Gs! let's see what happens.
Don't put words in my mouth. I said I'm confident we'll land 1

Reaction Score
gaffney has a lot more schools to choose from than there are starting quality Gs available to us in the portal right now... how many options are there right now for us? a dozen? 20? whereas gaff could play at almost any midmajor. there is definitely a scenario where we dont land a backup CG as good as he is. i wont like it but the scenario exists.
You're forgetting that in addition to any public announcements by Cole and Martin about leaving, and end of season statements from Hurley about the team, there are separate conversations between Hurley and the players.

If Hurley gave them his honest assessment on their potential playing time next season and what they'd need to work on to see the court, each player has to make their own decision if they thinks that's in they're best interest. And given the current transfer portal process, they can seek opportunity elsewhere.

That's all that's happened. Diggins and Gaffney had their convos, and are choosing to do what they feel is best for them. You questioning the timing of things or why they didn't wait to see how things played out is from the perspective of what's best for the team, not what each player has decided is best for them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc