Transfer Portal | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Those things will work themselves out, take the best talent and fits that want to be here
Yeah, just think that two weeks ago we would have said we had 0 scholarships left if Martin and Cole came back. Life comes at you fast
sure but ideally 1 is a grad transfer. i don't want to be in the position of rooting for guys to transfer in order to make room for 5*s next summer.

like i said akok is the only one graduating. if anyone else leaves early i hope it's because hawk or jackson or sanogo go pro but i aint holding my breathe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You think Hurley will throw aside his loyalty and over recruit Floyd, Hawkins, and Jackson? I think not.
i dont understand why you keep saying this. hawkins and jackson arent losing their starting spots and floyd is coming off a RS year so how much PT can he possibly expect? karaban and samson arent going to be starting either.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
i dont understand why you keep saying this. hawkins and jackson arent losing their starting spots and floyd is coming off a RS year so how much PT can he possibly expect? karaban and samson arent going to be starting either.
Because I’m crazy like Hurley is!

Reaction Score
Justice Williams had an underwhelming senior year of HS followed by a putrid freshman year at LSU. I’m inclined to think that he was just overrated in HS. Wouldn’t consider him the “skilled” type either.

If you want to go with a question mark guard transfer with upside, I’d rather pursue Adam Miller off of his knee surgery rehab year.

I told people he wasn't that good an no one believed me. Lesson learned: trust husky429.

Reaction Score
You think Hurley will throw aside his loyalty and over recruit Floyd, Hawkins, and Jackson? I think not.
Hawkins and Jackson are starters….I don’t think anything has been promised to floyd…so your telling me a kid with say two years of college experience is going to be scared to come in and compete with a kid who graduated early and redshirted for a year? Maybe that would be your mindset but I don’t think any high level college players will share your feelings.

Reaction Score
Hawkins and Jackson are starters….I don’t think anything has been promised to floyd…so your telling me a kid with say two years of college experience is going to be scared to come in and compete with a kid who graduated early and redshirted for a year? Maybe that would be your mindset but I don’t think any high level college players will share your feelings.
The ball don't lie

Reaction Score
This quip about Newton is one thing UConn was sorely lacking last year. Last season UConn had very little creativity in ball movement or passing.

"He sees skip passes and high-level pick-and-roll reads. He makes live dribble passes from creative angles and plays unselfishly."
Sounds like he's describing AJ
Tons of competition for those minute right now. Andrew Hurley is going to be tough to beat on the depth chart
Maybe Danny talked with Boeheim. Didn't Jim say and (I'm paraphrasing) it was his most enjoyable season coaching his sons even though they didn't have a great season

Reaction Score
sure but ideally 1 is a grad transfer. i don't want to be in the position of rooting for guys to transfer in order to make room for 5*s next summer.

like i said akok is the only one graduating. if anyone else leaves early i hope it's because hawk or jackson or sanogo go pro but i aint holding my breathe.
I don't think Hawk, AJ or Sanogo have much chance of going pro right now.

Reaction Score
This open transfer rule is garbage. It’s crazier than free agency. You can’t recruit to develop any more because the kid will get frustrated by lack of PT and transfer somewhere that promises him PT and your developmental work was a waste. 1000+ kids in the portal with 1000 more likely to hit the portal. Insanity.

Not only that, but if you DO develop kids, other programs are going to snake him away.

It take so much of the intrinsic motivation away from seeing young boys develop into men — and turns it into travel ball where kids bounce team to team.

This isn’t going to work long term

Reaction Score
So a team with two starting spots up for grabs is going to have to recruit kids to be backups. Do you even believe this take or are you trying to be funny?
On a team like UConn under Hurley where if you aren't a starter you get buried on the bench, who'd want to take a chance? But, if UConn played an expanded lineup, then others would be attracted because they know even if they don't start, they still are going to get decent minutes. And, they should be told so they know, if they bust it in practice and are indeed the best player for a position, then they will be the starter.

Reaction Score
On a team like UConn under Hurley where if you aren't a starter you get buried on the bench, who'd want to take a chance? But, if UConn played an expanded lineup, then others would be attracted because they know even if they don't start, they still are going to get decent minutes. And, they should be told so they know, if they bust it in practice and are indeed the best player for a position, then they will be the starter.
I think your mindset isn’t like that of most high level athletes. A kid will see we don’t have a starting point guard and you think he’ll say “If I don’t start I might not play a lot” more than likely he will see a chance to make a name for himself in a good league against great competition. Your thinking like a disgruntled fan not a player looking to make the league.

Reaction Score
We need 2 PGs, and one has to come off the bench.
yup. makes it a tough sell given that one definitely has to come off the bench. to avoid too much positional overlap i'd target:
1) a starting PG (e.g. Davis or Llewellyn)
2) a starting W (e.g. shannon)
3) a backup CG (e.g. ???)

that way all 3 have a path towards significant PT. idk what we do w/ the 4th open scholly at this point but it will also have to be a bench piece. i'd take a reclass redshirt if possible.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
AJax is not a starting point guard on a competitive tournament team. He can’t shoot or drive to the hoop and score. All of a sudden that’s going to change in a summer? Have ya seem his floater.. LMAFO
I can’t believe this is a consideration. This is UConn I would like to think that this fan base is familiar with what a real point guard is with our history.

There was a thread the other day about how having two bona fide lead guards in your backcourt is a recipe for success in the Tourney and I listed the backcourts for all of our great teams showing that they all had 2 guys with real playmaking skills.

I think going with 0 is not a good idea.

Jackson has terrific ball skills for a wing or small 4. He can man the PG spot for a few minutes here and there but this team would crash and burn with him as its starting PG.

Reaction Score
This open transfer rule is garbage. It’s crazier than free agency. You can’t recruit to develop any more because the kid will get frustrated by lack of PT and transfer somewhere that promises him PT and your developmental work was a waste. 1000+ kids in the portal with 1000 more likely to hit the portal. Insanity.
Not only that, but if you DO develop kids, other programs are going to snake him away.

It take so much of the intrinsic motivation away from seeing young boys develop into men — and turns it into travel ball where kids bounce team to team.

This isn’t going to work long term

This has been going on the football side since the fall of 2018. Covid freebie year and the one time transfer exception since fall of 2021 has exacerbated it. Basketball is just catching up.

It a case of be careful what you wish for…

Reaction Score
Scoring PG Alert

Ohio’s Mark Sears. 6’1 185 w/ three years eligibility.

19.7p, 6r, 4.1a, 3.2 to, 1.7s. Career 47.8 2p%, 37.9 3p% (about 30% shots at 3pa) 87.6 ft%. 6.7 fta last year (32nd nationally).

Stats show a bucket-getting three-level scorer who can attack the rim.

Reaction Score
yup. makes it a tough sell given that one definitely has to come off the bench. to avoid too much positional overlap i'd target:
1) a starting PG (e.g. Davis or Llewellyn)
2) a starting W (e.g. shannon)
3) a backup CG (e.g. ???)

that way all 3 have a path towards significant PT. idk what we do w/ the 4th open scholly at this point but it will also have to be a bench piece. i'd take a reclass redshirt if possible.
Davis comes across as more of a backup PG than a starter to me. To put things in perspective he grades out slightly better than Gaffney in the halfcourt, has a higher turnover percentage, and doesn't offer much scoring outside of 17 feet (34% on midrange jumpers and 16% on three pointers).

Not exactly optimal if UConn is really trying to play a 4 out offense next year. He could fit as a bench piece to come in and push the pace (he grades out well in transition over 1 point per possession), but giving him starting minutes puts UConn in a similar situation as this year with multiple non threats from the perimeter on the floor at the same time.

Reaction Score
our starting PG next year isn’t in the portal…. YET.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the kid we end up with is one of those in the portal out of the portal kids where the deal is already set when he jumps in. Working behind the scenes through kimani and Luke’s connections now so we aren’t fighting too big a battle with a bunch of schools.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be surprised if the kid we end up with is one of those in the portal out of the portal kids where the deal is already set when he jumps in. Working behind the scenes through kimani and Luke’s connections now so we aren’t fighting too big a battle with a bunch of schools.
Bingo.

Reaction Score
Tyler Beard out of Georgetown just hit the portal. Anyone have any information on him? Believe his a true PG. Was a freshman but seemed to get decent minutes at GTown. Might not be enough to be a starter but a potential backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom