Trading a lottery pick in first season | The Boneyard

Trading a lottery pick in first season

Reaction Score
I posted this on the Hornets board, but no one has answered, despite how active they are there. There's a lot of fake trade talk about trading Bouk, and it got me thinking.

When is the last time a lottery pick was traded during their FIRST season? Obviously this DOES NOT include getting traded on draft night. I honestly can't recall a time when this has happened, although I'm sure it has. And I can't find anything on google about it. If anyone knows the answer, and confirm that this is possible, please share.

Also, FWIW, I wouldn't mind seeing Bouk getting traded. It's honestly driving me insane seeing all these late 1st/2nd round guys getting PT on seemingly every other team, and the 11th pick in the draft can't get anything more than a couple garbage minutes at the end of the draft. I'm not saying it's good for him one way or the other, more just curious about this.

Reaction Score
I posted this on the Hornets board, but no one has answered, despite how active they are there. There's a lot of fake trade talk about trading Bouk, and it got me thinking.

When is the last time a lottery pick was traded during their FIRST season? Obviously this DOES NOT include getting traded on draft night. I honestly can't recall a time when this has happened, although I'm sure it has. And I can't find anything on google about it. If anyone knows the answer, and confirm that this is possible, please share.

Also, FWIW, I wouldn't mind seeing Bouk getting traded. It's honestly driving me insane seeing all these late 1st/2nd round guys getting PT on seemingly every other team, and the 11th pick in the draft can't get anything more than a couple garbage minutes at the end of the draft. I'm not saying it's good for him one way or the other, more just curious about this.
Ya Chauncey Billups was a guy traded in year 1. Probably others but as a Celtics guy, he came to mind first

Reaction Score
The Hornets picked Kobe Bryant in the lottery and traded him later in the day. So if the Hornets trade Bouk, he's in good company.

Ya Chauncey Billups was a guy traded in year 1. Probably others but as a Celtics guy, he came to mind first
Awesome, thanks guys. Kobe bet traded on draft day is not exactly what I was looking for but hearing Chauncey being traded in year 1 is good to know. And they both turned out just fine lol.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kemba wasn't starting from the get-go. It took a season.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Javaris Crittenton was traded in the pay gasol deal.

If Charlotte can make a move like that I guess they could do the same with bouk.

But the best name out there now is Simmons and he’s not a great fit with ball anyway.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The Hornets picked Kobe Bryant in the lottery and traded him later in the day. So if the Hornets trade Bouk, he's in good company.
Yeah, Bouk and Kobe can be viewed in the same lens:confused:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kemba averaged 12 points and 27 mpg as a rookie, Bouknight has played 12 minutes total as a rookie.
But he wasn't playing that much early. I was watching. The guy with initials who sucked was playing over him. That dude was no Ball.

Reaction Score
Donyell was traded 40 games into his rookie season for Tom Gugliotta. Pretty sure Chris Webber was traded year one (or after year one) for Guggs the previous year.

Reaction Score
But he wasn't playing that much early. I was watching. The guy with initials who sucked was playing over him. That dude was no Ball.
He played 20 minutes in his first game and averaged 27 minutes a game over the first 23 (same number of games as Bouknight is into his career as of now)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He played 20 minutes in his first game and averaged 27 minutes a game over the first 23 (same number of games as Bouknight is into his career as of now)
Well, he wasn't starting. And the guy in front of him was a stiff.

Reaction Score
And Bouknight is a shooting guard while Ball is a point guard but I'll let Waquoit twist himself into a pretzel.

Reaction Score
I know sometimes waiting it out for the best opportunity is the way to go but part of me hopes they trade him. It’s not like a Charlotte is winning a championship. It’s gotta be killing his confidence seeing literally every other rookie drafted after him, including many 2nd rounders, getting minutes. I understand Charlotte is extremely vet heavy but still, it’s gotta be tough.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
And Bouknight is a shooting guard while Ball is a point guard but I'll let Waquoit twist himself into a pretzel.

Rozier is playing the 2 in Charlotte and is vastly over performing

It’s a tough spot. Not sure what team he could be traded to. Charlotte has set up to have their starters for the next few years.

Reaction Score
Im sure he doesn’t want to get traded or hasn’t even thought about it. Bouk will do fine when opportunity arises and not when fans are yelling for the backup QB on a Monday morning.

Reaction Score
Im sure he doesn’t want to get traded or hasn’t even thought about it. Bouk will do fine when opportunity arises and not when fans are yelling for the backup QB on a Monday morning.
Why does this have such a negative tone as if we are delusional or crazy? This was an innocent topic question, and questioning the kids confidence due to the circumstances. Totally unnecessary response

Reaction Score
He will have his chance this season. Hornets have not had anyone hurt yet and have had all their role guys play out of their mind. Kelly Oubre might be the 6th man of the year. Those are Bouknights minutes. Cody Martin playing very well in his third season, those are Bouknight minutes.

Reaction Score
Martin didn’t play last night and when rozier has sat, bouk hasn’t played either. I believe the hornets really like Bouknight and aren’t thinking about trading him. However, there is nothing wrong with wondering what’s going on. It is very abnormal for the 11th pick not to be playing at all

Reaction Score
Martin didn’t play last night and when rozier has sat, bouk hasn’t played either. I believe the hornets really like Bouknight and aren’t thinking about trading him. However, there is nothing wrong with wondering what’s going on. It is very abnormal for the 11th pick not to be playing at all
Exactly, and I worry about the kids mentality seeing everyone else drafted after him play. Just a situation.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kemba played behind stiffs his first year was my bottom line. I'll let you giggle all you want.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom