OT: - Track fans....New American mile record! | The Boneyard

OT: Track fans....New American mile record!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
At the Prefontaine meet in Oregon yesterday:

Yared Nuguse broke the American mile record with a 3:43.97 time. That broke the olde
record by almost 3 seconds...he just obliterated it. Uhh...he finished second.
Norwegian Ingebrigtsen ran a 3:43.73 race...only about 1/2 second off the world record.

An article says that pre-race the Norwegian told Yared he would try to help him break the
American record...apparently they are friends. Sounds very much like he was offering to be a 'rabbit'
in the race. NO rabbit he. He led virtually the entire race...'helping' to pull along Yared...Yared was well within
reach the whole race...everybody else was well back. The Norwegian held Yared off with a spectactular time of his own...
3rd fastest ever.

Hope these two get together at some point and take another crack at the world record. I think the Pre is pretty much
the end of the season. Annually a great event at the legit capital of track and field [University of Oregon]

Sunday: second and last day on TV. I figure they just have to show a replay of the mile event.

3:00-4:00 CNBC
4:00-5:00 NBC

Reaction Score

Yared Nuguse broke the American mile record with a 3:43.97 time. That broke the olde
Norwegian Ingebrigtsen ran a 3:43.73 race...only about 1/2 second off the world record.

An article says that pre-race the Norwegian told Yared he would try to help him break the
American record...apparently they are friends. Sounds very much like he was offering to be a 'rabbit'
in the race. NO rabbit he. He led virtually the entire race...'helping' to pull along Yared...Yared was well within
reach the whole race...everybody else was well back. The Norwegian held Yared off with a spectactular time of his own...
3rd fastest ever.

Hope these two get together at some point and take another crack at the world record. I think the Pre is pretty much
the end of the season. Annually a great event at the legit capital of track and field [University of Oregon]

Sunday: second and last day on TV. I figure they just have to show a replay of the mile event.

Here you go:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
RVW: thanks for the video. I do see that there WERE 2 rabbits that set the early/fast pace.
Elite runners like Ingebrigsten and Nuguse may benefit from rabbits but rabbits they are not...
ever.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I know the 1,500 is run more often than the mile now, but consider this: the great Hicham El Guerrouj’s world record is 24 years old!

Reaction Score
RVW: thanks for the video. I do see that there WERE 2 rabbits that set the early/fast pace.
Elite runners like Ingebrigsten and Nuguse may benefit from rabbits but rabbits they are not...
ever.
Here you go:

Thank you, gentlemen.

Even though it never seemed Nuguse could pass Ingebritsen, it was still really exciting. Watching this race brought back memories for me of seeing Peter Snell, Jim Ryun, Kipchoge Keino, et al in the '60s and '70s.

In all the years I was around high-level high school and collegiate athletes, my favorite events were the big track & field meets.

Reaction Score
Besides the American recond Nuguse has something to think about over the winter. The world record race in 1999 was eerily similar to yesterday's race: El Guerrouj, the favorite, won by .27sec. after being challenged by Noah Ngeny in the home straight. Yesterday in the world record attempt, Ingebrigtsen, the favorite, won by .24sec. after being challenged Nuguse in the home straight. The historical kicker in this is that like the world record race next year is the Olympics and in 2000 the 1500m gold medal was won by Ngeny over El Gourrouj. If that tidbit hasn't been pointed out to Nuguse already, I am sure it will be.

Reaction Score
ever.
Yes, thank you for the video, great race and times. Not much of a track fan, and I understand the reason for the "rabbit". However, why run a race you are not planning to finish, or hope to win. No glory in being a "Silly Wabbit"

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
No glory..true. I would think the rabbits would take some pride in being part of a record...probably
getting paid as well.

Reaction Score
I don't know how people can run 16+ mph over long distances because everytime I have tried to run just 12 mph on the treadmill for just 1 min, I feel like I was going to fly off the end of the machine:p
Like this ?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The Bench's Domerduck was in attendance in TrackTown for the meet and he filed several reports on the meet. (See the "Olympic" section of ND Nation), but here's some information on the mile. Very exciting for an Irish fan to follow ND alums Naguse and long-distance runner Molly Seidel, who is also gearing up for Paris.

"The only two times better than yesterday's top two were back in the last century on July 7, 1999 when Moroccan El Guerrouj edged Kenyan Ngeny. El Guerrouj has 8 different times on the top 25 list. Ingebrigtsen has three times with his 1st when he won in the mile in Eugene in 2021, then last year in Oslo when he beat that time in a close race with Australian Oliver Hoare. Prior to yesterday those three times were the only recent times with the previous being the 2014 Eugene win by Souleiman and 2007 previous American record by Alan Webb which Nuguse beat by 3 seconds.

"So yesterday's six runners on the list is the only time that one race had more than two runners make the list. Obviously it was the top 6 in yesterday's Bowerman Mile which included U of Oregon runner Cole Hocker who is now #25. He is the 4th American on the list behind #4 Nuguse, #10 Webb, and # 17 Steve Scott who ran a 3 minute 47.69 in 1982. just missing then world record which was held by Brit Sebastian Cole. Lots of history when you talk about the mile and an incredible list of runners which Yared is now near the top."

Reaction Score
Like this ?

I like it! I will have to give that a shot if I ever come across that setup. It is weird how it seems kind of slow for some people and faster for others. Thanks for sharing the video.

Reaction Score

3rd fastest ever.

Holy smokes!! That is super impressive. 3:43:97 & 3:43:73. Wow!! Well done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom