Tour de France - 2023 | The Boneyard

Tour de France - 2023

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Starts this Saturday! In Spain, no less. I'm a casual cycling fan but I watch every second of this. Any potential surprises?

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
Watched a TDF 2023 preview on Peacock and they mentioned that Ineos Grenandiers weren’t a strong team this year. Another down year for them? Also, Mark Cavendish, unlike last year, is on a team this year so he can try for the stage wins record again, although I don’t think there are abundant sprint stages for him. No matter, always enjoy watching the TDF, even if it’s only Jumbo-Visma versus UAE again.

BullDawg

Reaction Score
I’m really missing the contrarian views of Chris Horner in the broadcast this year.

BullDawg

Reaction Score
Yes. Finally, some real excitement. Tomorrow should be very interesting.

Reaction Score
I was a day behind but caught up last night. It was a great comeback by Vingegaard and although he didn't get the yellow jersey, he put Pogacar in a tough spot. Dropped Pogacar on the climb. I get that Ciccone and the others had no reason to help Vingegaard but passing him near the finish is lame. Hindley looks legit.

I will watch today's race this evening so I won't be checking back here.

Reaction Score
I’m really missing the contrarian views of Chris Horner in the broadcast this year.
I miss Chris too and Jens was really good, but he wasn't there last year, not sure when or why he left. I don't really like the two new guys, very plain and long winded. I will miss Phill Liggett when he eventually retires. He's been doing it since I've been following. They love to talk about Cavendish and I am not a big fan. He got 4 stage wins in 2021 but the heavy hitters were all out of the race.

Reaction Score
Sprint Finishes - I think what they need to do is paint lanes in the road leading to the finish and you have to stay in a lane. Stage 4 a leadout man peeled off and slid into the barrier and crashed into Jakobson. Stage 3 Van Aert had to pull up because Philipsen moved over but it appeared to be legal. I think the lines in the road and the barriers don't align and make it tricky. The leadout guy has to know he can't just completely pull up with guys sprinting behind him.

BullDawg

Reaction Score
Absolutely awesome performance today by Tadej Pogacar. He was pretty much counted out by the studio commentators after yesterday. I’m definitely not enjoying these new commentators. I also miss the “guess the stage winner“ contest between the members of the broadcast team and the subsequent banter, which, of course wouldn’t be as fun with the new guys. At least Bob Roll is still riding the stages ahead of time and talking about them. Otherwise, I feel the broadcast is lacking.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Christian on the bike is embracing the role, he's been good. The only cycling I watch is the TdF but I've been watching almost every second for years. Today was really something. Like a Battle Royale that ends up with the two best fighters. The last two days have been tremendous.

Reaction Score
I like Christian but the guy somehow can't speak his native language as well as most foreigners do. He's always been painful to listen to, especially when he butchers everything outside of English. Complete opposite of Roll and Liggett. His best role was riding the route while describing it, perhaps he wasn't as nervous doing that.

Amazing rides today by both Vindegaard and Pogacar. And Van Aert. What a beast.

Reaction Score
I thought Cavendish was going to get it today. He’ll need to time his sprint perfectly to have a chance

BullDawg

Reaction Score
I was really hoping Cavendish would win the stage.

Reaction Score
I was really hoping Cavendish would win the stage.
Me too. He looks like he's capable. Apparently his derailleur started to jump gears when he started his sprint. Seriously unlucky if that's the case.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is really good stuff. Even though the racing was a bit like NASCAR, nothing of note till the end, the scenery is so great it carries the day.

Reaction Score
I could t find TV coverage this morning but saw that Cavendish has crashed out today. Tough luck for him. The quest for a 35th stage win was a good story line. Perhaps Merckx sabotaged him.

BullDawg

Reaction Score
Today was live on Peacock only. Today’s replay on USA at 2:00 a.m.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I could t find TV coverage this morning but saw that Cavendish has crashed out today. Tough luck for him. The quest for a 35th stage win was a good story line. Perhaps Merckx sabotaged him.
Heartbreaking but another great race.

BullDawg

Reaction Score
Another exciting finish today, and on the Puy de Dôme to boot! Nice to have a rest day tomorrow so I can get something done in the morning instead of watching the coverage. Expecting great things from the GC In the coming days.

Reaction Score
Amazing stage on the Puy de Dome and for Americans Jorgenson, Powless, and Kuss. What a finish by Woods to just motor past everyone to win the stage on a steady 12% climb.

I don't want to see anyone abandon but I won't miss the constant blathering over cavendish by the production crew one bit. Yes, one of the greatest sprinters of all time, and I love the sprint finishes. But in terms of the Tour, his sprint finishes don't compare to the greatest riders. Just about the entire peloton is at the finish of the sprint stages. Winning mountain stages is far more grueling. I am much more impressed by the guys who are more versatile like like Van Aert and Sagan who can sprint and climb.

BullDawg

Reaction Score
Interesting tactical race for the stage win today.

Reaction Score
I had to subscribe to peacock in order to watch the race this year

tdf 12.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This year's Tour is so good that even the time trial was something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom