Toscano Family Ice Forum Impressions | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Toscano Family Ice Forum Impressions

Reaction Score
Do the tables behind the boards @ XL bother you as much? Serious question - no snark intended.
No, because at XL right behind the tables are fans, in seats. Plus XL does not have hundreds of people who would love to attend but can't, unlike Toscano which is too small to accommodate demand. Another hundred or two could be seated in/above that ill-conceived space. Add an additional hundred or two by replacing the (no-student) deck, and the capacity exceeds 3,000.

Each time I come to Toscano (I attend every men's game and several women's) I dislike it more. I have become quite friendly with the parents of one of the women's captains, and they say the players rave about the facility. I don't doubt the off-the-ice amenities are terrific for the players, coaches and potential recruits. That's great, and I approve. But the fan experience leaves (and I am being charitable here) much to be desired.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To me, I think the answer is 1) eliminating most or all of the student deck and adding seats there, 2) installing three or four wide angle cameras at the bottom of the glass in front of the ice level lounge, and pumping those feeds to a series of LED TVs mounted in the lounge where the glasses now, and 3) putting seats in front of the ice level lounge.

Reaction Score
(It is a very fair question because I know I am capable of dead horse abuse...)

I don't care for the tall tables at XLC, but they don't really diminish seating quality or capacity. I think they are stupid, but tolerable at XLC. (You're there to watch a hockey game - not to have a business meeting with your banker or CPA or to flirt with your would-be wife or husband!) At Toscano, they gouged out about what could have been additional 125 + or - very good seats behind the net. Many purists prefer a behind the net perspective anyways. Importantly, when you are dealing with a 2691 capacity at Toscano; every seat is important. We don't have that problem at XLC since the lower tier holds about 7,000 or 8,000. You can fit such a dubious attraction in the current confines of XLC w/o much difficulty.
I do understand your perspective on missing out on additional “behind the net” chairbacks w/ the student section knocking out that option on the other end of the rink.

I’ve been to both MHOC/WHOC games over the year + and have had a good time each game. I get amenities (or lack there of) are often a personal preference - I’ve tried to move around the rink w/ the WHOC tickets and use the standing room tickets for MHOC (I’m used to watching games standing @ a railing/glass @ rinks over New England - it’s actually my preference since I’m often running solo nowadays).

Will be interested to see if they break out XL/Toscano season ticket packages next year after this year’s experiment.

Reaction Score
Season ticket holder at both Toscano and XL center. We have a group of 5 sharing 3 tickets, so our tickets are almost always used. Regarding Toscano: I agree more consistent winning would fill more seats. The facility just seems so stark. Food choices are limited and boring. Also, why is it so bright. Maybe I shouldn't have had that cataract surgery. Parking is tough too. Apparently, we didn't have enough points for parking at Toscano, so we park in the lot behind the soccer field for $15.00 and walk about 5 minutes to the rink. Why no shuttles to make the hike a little easier, especially when it's pretty cold some night. I pay $10.00 for LAZ parking at the XL and the walk is under a minute. I've attended many UConn sporting events over the last 50 years, and will continue too, but I frequently think there isn't much thought given by the Athletic department about the average fan's experience.
a few shuttle buses running a loop from the South Garage is a no-brainer

Reaction Score
Having bench seating behind the goals on a 20k student campus for a place to go on a Friday night or GA seating. Can't believe it was that expensive to incorporate. The deck probably cost more to build then adding benches.

Reaction Score
I don't dislike Toscano but they definitely can improve it greatly.

Band higher up - students who don't play instruments should be stacked right behind the visitor goalie - and loud.

Take out longe tables. No need for them as there is already a place for donors to go - up in that big area that looks great (never been up there but I hear it's nice). Fill that lounge area as well with actual seats so the rink doesn't look like a horseshoe.

Win hockey games at home so fans will get into it more. We've struggled there in 2023 and it has stifled crowd reaction. Chicken and egg argument about the crowd yes but just win games at home.

Add Guinness

I'm sure I'm missing a few but those 4 are on my must have.

Reaction Score
The fan experience at XL is so much better than Toscano. From parking to food options to even the play on the ice. It's quite frustrating the investment that was made into Toscano and the return the fans have seen.

Reaction Score
The fan experience at XL is so much better than Toscano. From parking to food options to even the play on the ice. It's quite frustrating the investment that was made into Toscano and the return the fans have seen.
Hard to imagine the options are better at XL but I know what you mean. Some are just a function of a large “all purpose” facility vs an on campus ice rink. Parking is better in Hartford because there are so many vacant properties.

I agree with getting rid of the tables and that the student deck is just a dumb idea. But I think most of the complaints would at least be reduced if not eliminated entirely if we would just WIN SOME GAMES there. We seem to struggle mightily on Fridays!

One other suggestion: Lose the recorded music and let the pep band play during breaks. And a related item, tell them to practice less. Hockey bands should be less “polished” and more tinny sounding. At least that is my view.

Reaction Score
It does not help the atmosphere that UConn has the worst student section of the 3 best conferences (NCHC, Big Ten, HE) in college hockey. Not to mention other schools such as Quinnipiac, Cornell, St. Thomas, etc.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
One other suggestion: Lose the recorded music and let the pep band play during breaks. And a related item, tell them to practice less. Hockey bands should be less “polished” and more tinny sounding. At least that is my view.
LOL - it's not our fault that the pep band draws from the excellent marching band, unlink most of the rinky-dink ADs we have to play against. You're just used to mediocrity - no thanks.

CL82

Reaction Score
LOL - it's not our fault that the pep band draws from the excellent marching band, unlink most of the rinky-dink ADs we have to play against. You're just used to mediocrity - no thanks.
I think his post was intended to be a tongue in cheek compliment.

I hate the fact that we, and a lot of other colleges, choose to pump in music rather than use the band more. I think the notion is that canned music makes things seem more like a pro venue, but the thing is if I wanted to go to a pro venue, I would. Part of the charm of a college game is listening to the band. I definitely would much prefer utilizing them more. And that's not just true for hockey. The same could be said for football and basketball.

Reaction Score
I think his post was intended to be a tongue in cheek compliment.

I hate the fact that we, and a lot of other colleges, choose to pump in music rather than use the band more. I think the notion is that canned music makes things seem more like a pro venue, but the thing is if I wanted to go to a pro venue, I would. Part of the charm of a college game is listening to the band. I definitely would much prefer utilizing them more. And that's not just true for hockey. The same could be said for football and basketball.
Completely, categorically, 100% agree.

Reaction Score
I really prefer using the band, not the pumped in music. Have them playing much more. My comments on the quality were really related to that. The talent is wasted. I know it was at the XL but the perfect example was at the end of the Maine game on Saturday afternoon. UConn is up. Maine pulls the goalie and calls time out with 1-2 minutes to play. The crowd is pumped. Perfect time for Husky or that other fight song. But no. They pump in YMCA. Example #2. Game ends with UConn upsetting a top 10 opponent. Perfect time for the band to jump in with the fight song. But they pump in Brass Bonanza. I get it. Part of Hartford’s hockey history. But come on. The Whalers have now been gone longer than they were here. Play it if you want but not all the time. We are UConn, not the Whalers. Or if you insist on using it, let the band play it. I bet they could learn it. After all they are good musicians I have been told. :p

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Sorry if you guys can’t read, but I was clearly responding to the 2nd half of his comment

And a related item, tell them to practice less. Hockey bands should be less “polished” and more tinny sounding. At least that is my view.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sorry if you guys can’t read, but I was clearly responding to the 2nd half of his comment
Take another look at it and see if you can tell that what he was saying our band is "polished" and not "tinny sounding", but whatever.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Take another look at it and see if you can tell that what he was saying our band is "polished" and not "tinny sounding", but whatever.
Yes, he's saying, essentially, he wants them "worse"

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, he's saying, essentially, he wants them "worse"
Indiferenca Ok GIF

Reaction Score
I do understand your perspective on missing out on additional “behind the net” chairbacks w/ the student section knocking out that option on the other end of the rink.

I’ve been to both MHOC/WHOC games over the year + and have had a good time each game. I get amenities (or lack there of) are often a personal preference - I’ve tried to move around the rink w/ the WHOC tickets and use the standing room tickets for MHOC (I’m used to watching games standing @ a railing/glass @ rinks over New England - it’s actually my preference since I’m often running solo nowadays).

Will be interested to see if they break out XL/Toscano season ticket packages next year after this year’s experiment.
BTW, if you want to compare Toscano to Augustana's arena, you will be struggling to see the value in Toscano. For those of you that don't know, Augustana is a small college in South Dakota that just joined the CCHA.

They built a new 3080 capacity arena that looks sweet (no tall tables...) for about $40m. It is just opening now. Toscano appears to be very expensive for what we got...

Reaction Score
BTW, if you want to compare Toscano to Augustana's arena, you will be struggling to see the value in Toscano. For those of you that don't know, Augustana is a small college in South Dakota that just joined the CCHA.

They built a new 3080 capacity arena that looks sweet (no tall tables...) for about $40m. It is just opening now. Toscano appears to be very expensive for what we got...
I get it - you don’t like Toscano and no one is going to convince you otherwise.

“SIOUX FALLS, SD – January 30, 2024 – Midco Arena, on the campus of Augustana University (AU), celebrated its grand opening on January 26–27 in Sioux Falls, SD. This weekend marked the Vikings’ first-ever home hockey series on campus, inviting fans inside AU’s new $72 million, 154,000 square-foot arena designed by JLG Architects, in collaboration with Clark Construction Group and Edgemoor Infrastructure & Real Estate.”

… and are we really comparing construction costs btwn South Dakota and Connecticut?

CL82

Reaction Score
I get it - you don’t like Toscano and no one is going to convince you otherwise.

“SIOUX FALLS, SD – January 30, 2024 – Midco Arena, on the campus of Augustana University (AU), celebrated its grand opening on January 26–27 in Sioux Falls, SD. This weekend marked the Vikings’ first-ever home hockey series on campus, inviting fans inside AU’s new $72 million, 154,000 square-foot arena designed by JLG Architects, in collaboration with Clark Construction Group and Edgemoor Infrastructure & Real Estate.”

… and are we really comparing construction costs btwn South Dakota and Connecticut?
True, the other issue is that the athletic department chose to spend much of the money in building areas that are material to the team but not visible to fans in the stands.

Still, I think, with the benefit of hindsight, they made some mistakes that really should've been picked up and cleaned up by the architects. Nonetheless, there are fixes for them that can make Tuscano better. Adding seats is a big part of that.

Reaction Score
Screenshot 2024-02-02 114407.gif

This is what should piss of fans, celebrating an award that is one meaningless but also preposterous when you factor in how poorly the design of the arena facilitates fanfare

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score

You’re only off by 32 million…

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
As someone who has gone to TFIF a bunch (and headed there tonight):

The biggest whiff, by leaps and bounds, is the "student deck." It's functionally useless, an eyesore to boot, and it just screams that this place was thrown together somewhat haphazardly.

This kills me as a band alumnus, and current parent, but i would think a simple, and cheap, fix would be to incorporate a small riser on that deck, for the band. 3 or 4 rows, and these things aren't even custom - normally made for stages.

Good: it would open behind the net seating for students. It would make the band more audable to more of the rink (not that it's a problem now). It puts currently useless space to some degree of use.

Bad: moves the band away from the action (i.e. as spectators).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom