Toscano Attendance Question | The Boneyard

Toscano Attendance Question

Reaction Score
I know that there are no tickets available for Toscano games but there are so many empty seats. Can’t they give away those tickets to students or resell them? I’d love to go to a game but I don’t have season tickets.

Reaction Score
I know that there are no tickets available for Toscano games but there are so many empty seats. Can’t they give away those tickets to students or resell them? I’d love to go to a game but I don’t have season tickets.
Try calling the ticket office the day of a game. Many times tickets are returned by the visiting team.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Only if they are returned to the ticket office. If they are put up for sale on secondary sites, the University has no control over them. According to the check of secondary sites that @mac2351 has made, that is almost entirely the case. That or they just don’t show and in that case, nothing can be done with the tickets.

jho

Reaction Score
You can sign up to receive an email regarding ticket availability from the UConn ticket office on the day of Toscano games. Here’s the link - UCONN General

Reaction Score
You can sign up to receive an email regarding ticket availability from the UConn ticket office on the day of Toscano games. Here’s the link - UCONN General
I never knew they offered SRO tickets

Standing room is $33 a ticket including fees

Reaction Score
Why are the standing room tickets not listed on the UConn ticketing site? They only have the XL and CT Ice games listed.

$33 for sro is too much but some people would buy them if they knew they existed.

Why are they hiding them? Every game has tickets available

Reaction Score
Only if they are returned to the ticket office. If they are put up for sale on secondary sites, the University has no control over them. According to the check of secondary sites that @mac2351 has made, that is almost entirely the case. That or they just don’t show and in that case, nothing can be done with the tickets.

Honest observations of where seats are empty are mostly within the higher donor areas in between and just past the blue lines. I’m not exactly sure why this is the case. It’s not like entire empty rows appear on SeatGeek - they aren’t posted there nor are they returned to the ticket office. While the design flaws of the arena have been discussed at length, what also makes the overall atmosphere even sadder are the swaths of no shows at what is purportedly a sold out game. I’m sure if those seats were filled it would go a long way to helping the experience at games which has been lackluster all Tuscano, even though crowd interactions were a step better last night.

Reaction Score
They made another announcement during the game that people who are standing can walk down and sit in an open seat.
I have seats but i can see why people would want to stand - I’m a stander over sitter myself.
Also I think the conference policy must suck where UConn doesn’t get notified until late that the other team isn’t using their full allotment. But who knows.
You also had more empty seats than usual last night because of the Kansas game at 9. I was thinking of not going for that very reason myself but decided to go and miss the first half of hoops.

Reaction Score
They need to get the student section engaged. No signs, no jumping around, no chants.

The band should not be taking up seats behind the net. There a so few student section seats that UConn should not be putting the band in them

Reaction Score
They need to get the student section engaged. No signs, no jumping around, no chants.

The band should not be taking up seats behind the net. There a so few student section seats that UConn should not be putting the band in them
IMG_1685.jpeg

Reaction Score

The problem is the band is essentially the student section. They need legit seats for them, they're just sprawled out right now aimlessly throughout the arena

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
When I first put on the game, the large amount of missing seats across from the camera was the first thing I noticed. Makes us look bad.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
The only way seats appear on seat geek is if the season ticket holder picks that option when they aren’t using them. It appears that many season ticket holders don’t do that and just don’t go, leaving empty seats that can’t be sold to someone else. That’s the biggest problem.

Reaction Score
The only way seats appear on seat geek is if the season ticket holder picks that option when they aren’t using them. It appears that many season ticket holders don’t do that and just don’t go, leaving empty seats that can’t be sold to someone else. That’s the biggest problem.

And so...what's the solution to this?

Ironically enough it looks like the tiny arena is too large for its fanbase when original notions were that it was to small. We all know that it is still too small, but the issue here is access. It appears the athletic department would rather have seats sold and donations made to the program than actual butts in the seats, but I also blame those Season ticket holders who bought them and don't go or don't have the diligence to find suitors for their tickets, even if they just give them away when they can't go.

The whole mess is parallel to the awkwardness of the design of the place. If the vibe doesn't improve through this season, I may just be content going to only the XL games next season. I'm sad about it but the value of the experience just doesn't seem to be there or moving in a positive direction towards creating something worthy and special that both the team and fans deserve. I'm guessing those who work at UConn don't actually read comments in the Boneyard for insight and constructive criticism, because we've seen no changes to the setup this season. If someone has ideas or information, please talk me off the ledge here...

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
And so...what's the solution to this?

Ironically enough it looks like the tiny arena is too large for its fanbase when original notions were that it was to small. We all know that it is still too small, but the issue here is access. It appears the athletic department would rather have seats sold and donations made to the program than actual butts in the seats, but I also blame those Season ticket holders who bought them and don't go or don't have the diligence to find suitors for their tickets, even if they just give them away when they can't go.

The whole mess is parallel to the awkwardness of the design of the place. If the vibe doesn't improve through this season, I may just be content going to only the XL games next season. I'm sad about it but the value of the experience just doesn't seem to be there or moving in a positive direction towards creating something worthy and special that both the team and fans deserve. I'm guessing those who work at UConn don't actually read comments in the Boneyard for insight and constructive criticism, because we've seen no changes to the setup this season. If someone has ideas or information, please talk me off the ledge here...
The only solution would be to deny season tickets to people who let their tickets go consistently unused. But we all know that isn’t practical.

Reaction Score
They need seats but UConn got a $2.5 million dollar donation for the naming rights of that eyesore of a student deck so it’s not going away.

This is what kills me about this program.

UConn has this sleeping giant of a hockey program but I don’t think the higher ups see the potential in it so it stays sleeping.

I do not understand committing to a $70 million dollar arena and then not following through to make it the best it can be. I think UConn completely underestimated the amount of people that would go to these games. They are just an average program now and there is a demand there. Imagine if this program got to a Quinnipiac level.

The easiest change is the student section and get some sort of club on campus going. Cavanaugh has been a coach in this league forever. He’s seen other student sections in Hockey East. He needs to get out into the student community and get it going.

The fact that they do not list standing room only tickets on the UConn ticket site when they are available just completely blows my mind. What are they doing? And yes they are too expensive but some people would purchase them.

Schools can make money with hockey programs as Arizona State has shown. UConn needs to realize this.

Reaction Score
IMO there are quite a few things going on here:
  • The team just spent almost a decade building a fanbase that goes to hockey games in Hartford without a particularly engaged student section
  • Then they built an arena on-campus that's mostly about the workout facilities, and it's just too small to meet demand
  • UConn made a big push with donors who weren't really big hockey fans once the new place opened and then effectively raised prices by requiring season ticket holders to also donate money. To sit near the blue line at Toscano my yearly ticket price has basically doubled.
Not all donors are going to show up to every game, which wouldn't matter if the new arena was bigger (so they were a smaller percentage of the overall seats).

So we've got a team that's not particularly good this year, a small and somewhat oddly designed arena with a higher donor vs. true fan ratio (ignoring that yes, many donors are huge UConn fans) than existed before, and the arena is less convenient than it used to be.

As far as the student section goes - it's going to take time and hopefully a relocation of the band.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They need seats but UConn got a $2.5 million dollar donation for the naming rights of that eyesore of a student deck so it’s not going away
Change the name from student deck to student section. Knock down the concrete block house and replace it with seats and paint the name above the seats under UConn.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Change the name from student deck to student section. Knock down the concrete block house and replace it with seats and paint the name above the seats under UConn.
That sounds like what they should have done from the start. By the way, as you probably know, it has become painfully apparent that no one with any power to change things reads this forum. If they do, they just don’t care or get it at all.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
In my donor account I can buy any game I want. I really don’t get why they don’t open that to the public by this point.
What do you mean? Do you already have tickets or are tickets left open to donors for each game. I would find that to be problematic. It obviously isn’t working if that’s part of the reason for all the open seats.

Reaction Score
Take out the ice lounge and replace with seating - have the band play in the set of seats currently above the ice lounge \ sort of like how they have it at XL

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Take out the ice lounge and replace with seating - have the band play in the set of seats currently above the ice lounge \ sort of like how they have it at XL
Not a terrible idea…but again, it will go unheard. Our voices don’t matter.

Reaction Score
Replace the ice lounge with seating..................yes. Put the band above them...................no. The UConn band (and students) should always be behind the opposition goalie twice.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not a terrible idea…but again, it will go unheard. Our voices don’t matter.
Has that ever stopped us from commenting?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom