Torvik Numbers since 1/17/2024 (Clingan's Return) | The Boneyard

Torvik Numbers since 1/17/2024 (Clingan's Return)

Reaction Score
Adjusted Offense
1. Purdue 128.7
2. Illinois 128.5
3. UConn 128.1
4. Gonzaga 126.9
5. Alabama 125.2
36. North Carolina State 116.6

Adjusted Defense
1. Iowa State 87.4
2. Houston 88.2
3. UConn 88.8
4. Tennessee 90.7
5. Rutgers 92.2
9. San Diego State 94.1
34. Purdue 97.7
64 North Carolina State 101.1
112. Illinois 103.0
147. Alabama 104.4

caw

Reaction Score
Adjusted Offense
1. Purdue 128.7
2. Illinois 128.5
3. UConn 128.1
4. Gonzaga 126.9
5. Alabama 125.2

Adjusted Defense
1. Iowa State 87.4
2. Houston 88.2
3. UConn 88.8
4. Tennessee 90.7
5. Rutgers 92.2
9. San Diego State 94.1
34. Purdue 97.7
112. Illinois 103.0
147. Alabama 104.4
Posted UConn's tournament Adjusted Defense numbers elsewhere, they are absurd.

Reaction Score
Regarding Saturday's matchup, this basically bears out what the year-long KenPom numbers suggest -- Alabama is a slightly worse version of Illinois on both ends.

The question is style of play. Obviously we were able to stifle their rim-attacking offense and take advantage of their weakness inside. Are we a similarly bad matchup for Alabama, who play even faster and shoot a ton of 3s?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Regarding Saturday's matchup, this basically bears out what the year-long KenPom numbers suggest -- Alabama is a slightly worse version of Illinois on both ends.

The question is style of play. Obviously we were able to stifle their rim-attacking offense and take advantage of their weakness inside. Are we a similarly bad matchup for Alabama, who play even faster and shoot a ton of 3s?

This is the only thing that worries me…Alabama will just shoot 50 3s and see what happens. It’s their whole philosophy, they do NOT shoot mid range. If they can’t get layups over DC, they’re just gonna chuck.

Reaction Score
This is the only thing that worries me…Alabama will just shoot 50 3s and see what happens. It’s their whole philosophy, they do NOT shoot mid range. If they can’t get layups over DC, they’re just gonna chuck.
Their style is extremely high-variance. That's the last thing you want to see as a big (I'd consider -11.5 and -700 or whatever big) favorite.

If they shoot 45 3s and make only 9, that's no worse for them than a more conventional attack that doesn't produce (e.g. SDSU). If they shoot 45 3s and make 17, they will be right there.

Their best and only chance is to outscore us by 30 points at the 3 point line, and they are eminently capable. Not likely, but capable.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
They are much longer in the paint too than Illinois on those drives. They have two skilled 6’11 guys and then another two bigs at the size.

My worry is one of the forwards being a bad matchup for Karaban. Especially Nelson. Also how are those drives going to look against Clingan with the extra size. Will they be able to get him in foul trouble? Hope not but we’ll see.

Reaction Score
Their starting guards go 6’1 (Sears), 6’3 (Estrada), and 6’6 (Griffen) with a 6’3 Wrightsell possibly being in the mix. They’re going to be at a pretty significant size disadvantage and will have to shoot over the top. If they make 20 threes and it’s close, you tip your hat to them, but I highly doubt that happens with how our guards have been playing defense. Castle is about to lock Sears down and if that happens, I think it all crumbles for them.

Side note, I’m not sure who Sears guards. He’s a terrible defender who is also short. Can’t ask him to D up Castle because he’ll post the dude into a body bag but the though of him having to chase Cam off all the actions we run is also going to end very poorly.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Their starting guards go 6’1 (Sears), 6’3 (Estrada), and 6’6 (Griffen) with a 6’3 Wrightsell possibly being in the mix. They’re going to be at a pretty significant size disadvantage and will have to shoot over the top. If they make 20 threes and it’s close, you tip your hat to them, but I highly doubt that happens with how our guards have been playing defense. Castle is about to lock Sears down and if that happens, I think it all crumbles for them.

Side note, I’m not sure who Sears guards. He’s a terrible defender who is also short. Can’t ask him to D up Castle because he’ll post the dude into a body bag but the though of him having to chase Cam off all the actions we run is also going to end very poorly.

I’m with you - if UConn plays their B game they win, probably by 10-15.

But that 3 pointer can be an equalizer, especially when they hunt those shots. They’re not changing philosophies, they want to gun.

Reaction Score

Sears would probably be on Spencer, but even that will go poorly for him as Spencer bamboozles defenders in 1-on-1 situations in the lane. How's their rim protection? (I'm guessing not great.)

Reaction Score
Sears would probably be on Spencer, but even that will go poorly for him as Spencer bamboozles defenders in 1-on-1 situations in the lane. How's their rim protection? (I'm guessing not great.)
They get some blocks but are by and large a bad post defense team. If they try to run us off the three point line (which will be hard based on how bad their D is), I think Cam, Tristen, and Castle just cook in the paint.

Reaction Score
Grant Nelson averages 1.6 a game so it's better than I expected, but I think that's inflated by how fast they play and how many possessions they have on defense. They're average in 2P% defense and give up a ton of offensive rebounds

Reaction Score
Grant Nelson is a worse defender than Coleman Hawkins. Blocks slightly more shots (like 0.3 per game more), but Nelson is a foul machine. Since February 28th, here are his fouls in each game:

5 (Ole Miss)
5 (Tenn)
5 (Florida)
4 (Arkansas)
4 (Florida)
1 (Charleston)
4 (Grand Canyon)
2 (UNC)
4 (Clemson)

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Adjusted Offense
1. Purdue 128.7
2. Illinois 128.5
3. UConn 128.1
4. Gonzaga 126.9
5. Alabama 125.2

Adjusted Defense
1. Iowa State 87.4
2. Houston 88.2
3. UConn 88.8
4. Tennessee 90.7
5. Rutgers 92.2
9. San Diego State 94.1
34. Purdue 97.7
112. Illinois 103.0
147. Alabama 104.4

So we're #3 in offense and #3 in defense. Which makes us #3 overall.

I'm very good at math.

Reaction Score
Grant Nelson is a worse defender than Coleman Hawkins. Blocks slightly more shots (like 0.3 per game more), but Nelson is a foul machine. Since February 28th, here are his fouls in each game:

5 (Ole Miss)
5 (Tenn)
5 (Florida)
4 (Arkansas)
4 (Florida)
1 (Charleston)
4 (Grand Canyon)
2 (UNC)
4 (Clemson)
If they ask him to D up Clingan one on one, Donovan is going to put him in a body bag.

Reaction Score
I understand people are cautious and Alabama has hit 3s. But, seriously, look at how they've played against any halfway decent team not named UNC (who isn't nearly as well coached as we are). We're going to absolutely maul them.

"Oh, they shoot threes, so that is high variance and that's what we're afraid of."

No, they're undisciplined on offense and especially defense. We're going to run them ragged on the defensive end and demoralize them with layups and dunks. I also expect we'll start hitting 3s at some point.

It's another game we're going to be up 30 at some point.

Reaction Score
They're a worse version of illinois....but i don't expect oats to come out and then double down on a game plan which is totally failing with no plan B.
It's absolutely what they're going to do.

They're going to chuck 3s in a dome.

If they hit, it'll be close. If they don't, it won't.

But they don't have a plan B. I promise. They haven't all year. It's why they've been beaten by 20+ consistently by good teams when they don't play at home.

Reaction Score
I understand people are cautious and Alabama has hit 3s. But, seriously, look at how they've played against any halfway decent team not named UNC (who isn't nearly as well coached as we are). We're going to absolutely maul them.

"Oh, they shoot threes, so that is high variance and that's what we're afraid of."

No, they're undisciplined on offense and especially defense. We're going to run them ragged on the defensive end and demoralize them with layups and dunks. I also expect we'll start hitting 3s at some point.

I've learned my lesson with the region of death. I will no longer doubt you. Please just don't let me down here

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

On one hand, I refuse to get this confident.

On the other, if we don't go up 30, that would be the first time.

Reaction Score
On one hand, I refuse to get this confident.

On the other, if we don't go up 30, that would be the first time.
Alabama was in a dogfight with Grand Canyon.

I hate being this confident, but Alabama is in for a world of hurt. It's going to be a mirror image of what would happen on the football field.

Reaction Score
It's absolutely what they're going to do.

They're going to chuck 3s in a dome.

If they hit, it'll be close. If they don't, it won't.

But they don't have a plan B. I promise. They haven't all year. It's why they've been beaten by 20+ consistently by good teams when they don't play at home.
I tend to agree. Teams that are too dependent on one superstar guard/wing are a good matchup for us. Sears makes that team go. Estrada creates too but he’s not a big deep threat. Castle and Diarra are just too good on-ball defenders.

Reaction Score

They are a bad defensive team, no question. They can easily concede 100 points, even if we control the pace. But looking through their results, they played a very tough schedule (KenPom #1 overall SoS, #1 offensive SoS, and #18 defensive SoS).

They had a bad loss to Ohio State, a more understandable loss to Elite 8 team Clemson.

The rest of their non-conference losses:
vs. Purdue, @Creighton, vs. Arizona (back to back to back)

In conference, they were swept by Tennessee, split with Auburn, lost at Kentucky, and lost 2/3 to Florida.

Now, in those losses, they gave up a ____ton of points (they lost 4 of 6 to close the season, and in 3 of those gave up 117(!!), 105, and 102). But those were against tough teams with good offenses.

Their best wins were home vs. Auburn, UNC obviously, and now Clemson. Not a ton of high-quality wins, but in the games where they don't get blown out, they are capable of winning a shootout.

That said, I agree that the modal outcome is we win, probably by a comfortable margin in the second half, something like 90-72. But they can win games in the 90s or higher and have, if they get hot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom