Top Ten All-Americans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top Ten All-Americans

Reaction Score
Collier, KLS, Gabby, Plum and Mitchel are top 5. Add any other 5 from: Brown (Baylor), Jones (Baylor), Brown (Duke), Jones (MD), Walker (MD), Wilson (SC), Osahor (Washington).
There are others who had good years but the above 12 stand out to me.

Reaction Score
Any AA list that includes Osahor over Kalani Brown ain't my kind of list. Realistically, this committee isn't going to include 3 from UConn. If not last year then not any year. There is a very real and very disturbing possibility that Pheesa (Pheesa!) won't make the list.
One wonders whether the selections, and that includes those here, are based on something other than performance. Brown? Really? Based upon the the Texas game? What about the rest of the season? And, for my money, there are at least 10 other players who've had more complete regular seasons than Wilson, as well. Of course, she's had a much better season than Brown, but, not a NPOY year, like the WCBB press were convinced she'd have. She may have more ability than rebounding over smaller players, going to her left, and shooting 5-10 footers, but don't think we'll ever see it under Staley and crew.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't think Osahor is an AA. Not mobile. And her team loses most of their big games. Not in that category.

Did you also think that Courtney Paris didn't deserve AA recognition because she was "not mobile"?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
And, for my money, there are at least 10 other players who've had more complete regular seasons than Wilson, as well.

I don't want to beat the Turner drum too hard but...

A lot of people here are leaving out Turner but have Wilson on their list. I'm fine with leaving out Turner. She might not be in my top ten either. But her stats are remarkably similar to Wilson's.

Wilson - 16.9 ppg, 58.4 FG%, 7.2 rpg, 37 ast, 53 blk, 26 stl
Turner - 15.3 ppg, 61.1 FG%, 7.5 rpg, 35 ast, 62 blk, 24 stl

Reaction Score
Did you also think that Courtney Paris didn't deserve AA recognition because she was "not mobile"?

I think Paris was a lot stronger and more effective. Didn't make it as a pro, however.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Have you seen Osahor rebound? The other 6-plus-footers literally bounce off her. Her hands and her grip are the strongest I can remember seeing in the college game.

And by what standard did Paris "not make it as a pro"? She is a starter on one of only 12 WNBA teams, and has been for at least three years. That alone puts her in pretty elite company.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Let me suggest Lexie Brown before Triad comes in here and gets his blood pressure up, lol.

giphy (1).gif

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
"It's not like one player was a giant -"

In my opinion Collier has grown about a foot since the season started.
To opponents it probably looks like she's grown another pair of arms as well. In all the years I've been watching UConn BB I've never seen a player more consistent nor more elegant around the basket. Too bad she's a senior. Oh, wait, this just in. SHE'S ONLY A SOPHOMORE!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Plum, Alexis Jones, G. Williams, Wilson, B. Jones, Peterson, Lexie Brown, Mitchell, Collier, and Monique Billings

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
One wonders whether the selections, and that includes those here, are based on something other than performance. Brown? Really? Based upon the the Texas game? What about the rest of the season? And, for my money, there are at least 10 other players who've had more complete regular seasons than Wilson, as well. Of course, she's had a much better season than Brown, but, not a NPOY year, like the WCBB press were convinced she'd have. She may have more ability than rebounding over smaller players, going to her left, and shooting 5-10 footers, but don't think we'll ever see it under Staley and crew.
Looking at Brown's numbers and the number of minutes she averages to me she's a no brainer. Nevertheless I thought we were talking here about AA candidates. NPOY candidate is your narrative.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I will present these stats and you can tell me how Wilson is having a MUCH better season than Kalani Brown.

Minutes per Game
Brown 20.3
Wilson 27.2

Points Per Game
Brown 15.0
Wilson 16.9

Rebounds per Game
Brown 8.3
Wilson 7.2

FG%
Brown 65.9
Wilson 58.4

FT%
Brown 72.1
Wilson 71.4

Blocks
Brown 54 (568 minutes played)
Wilson 53 (653 minutes played)

Assists
Brown 38 (568 minutes played)
Wilson 37 (653 minutes played)

Turnovers
Brown 46
Wilson 51

Steals
Brown 9
Wilson 26

Plebe

Reaction Score
I will present these stats and you can tell me how Wilson is having a MUCH better season than Kalani Brown.

Minutes per Game
Brown 20.3
Wilson 27.2

Points Per Game
Brown 15.0
Wilson 16.9

Rebounds per Game
Brown 8.3
Wilson 7.2

FG%
Brown 65.9
Wilson 58.4

FT%
Brown 72.1
Wilson 71.4

Blocks
Brown 54 (568 minutes played)
Wilson 53 (653 minutes played)

Assists
Brown 38 (568 minutes played)
Wilson 37 (653 minutes played)

Turnovers
Brown 46
Wilson 51

Steals
Brown 9
Wilson 26

Well, clearly it's all 'bout those steals :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
IMHO there is no way that UConn gets 3 All Americans this year. Not because they are undeserving, because they are, but because Collier and Samuelson are underclassmen. Seniors, being their last year, also tend to get preferential treatment on these lists.

TitleTown- - -there are 2 major AA lists AP & WBCA and Collier, Gabby, & KLS will make 3 spots on those two lists! AP lists 5 and WBCA lists 10!

Reaction Score
TitleTown- - -there are 2 major AA lists AP & WBCA and Collier, Gabby, & KLS will make 3 spots on those two lists! AP lists 5 and WBCA lists 10!

That may happen but I doubt it but IMHO there is no chance that 3 UConn players will be on the WBCA list.

Reaction Score
That may happen but I doubt it but IMHO there is no chance that 3 UConn players will be on the WBCA list.

TitleTown- - IMHO 1 could make the AP and 2 will get spots on the WBCA list! All 3 will make the Wall of Honor!

Plebe

Reaction Score

I don't know offhand how often 3 UConn players have made AA in the same year, but I also sense that it's unlikely this year — not impossible, but unlikely — for two main reasons:
  1. Last year's team was arguably the most dominant ever in the history of WCBB. And although this year's team is undefeated, there's more of a sense that the playing field is more level compared to last year.
  2. UConn's three candidates for All-American are all underclassmen and would be first-time AAs. History shows that AA voters show a strong inclination toward (a) previous AAs, and (b) seniors.
In fact, combining the above two reasons with the fact that there's no obvious pecking order among UConn's top 3, I wouldn't be shocked if only one UConn player made it, because even though many if not most voters will vote for at least two UConn players, the "UConn vote" might get diluted by the "parity," if you will, among the UConn candidates.

Reaction Score
TitleTown- - IMHO 1 could make the AP and 2 will get spots on the WBCA list! All 3 will make the Wall of Honor!

I really hope that happens, but I am inclined to think whichever player makes the AP list of 5 will also make the WBCA list of 10(along with 1 other UConn player) and thus only 2 players make the Wall of Honor this year.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
When Diamond DeShields is playing her best. There aren't many players better.

Reaction Score
It's a lot of good player's out there now, on the College Level.
But you got to consider K.Brown of Baylor and B.McCarty of Texas out of the Big 12 Conference.

Reaction Score
When Diamond DeShields is playing her best. There aren't many players better.

Stwainfan- - -whatever you're smoking please share the wacky tobacco with this recovering heart patient!
The problem with Ms DD is she, her teammates, coaches or fans have any clue whether she'll go for 20pts, 10rbs, 3assts, or 2pts.,0rbs, 1asst, and 20 to's!
She'll be sprinting to the WNBA after this season, where she'll last a couple to 3 years till her team understands she's out for herself and not worth the salary or the time spent trying to make her follow the game plan!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom