Top 25 Returning WCBB Players | The Boneyard

Top 25 Returning WCBB Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
McMahon and Amoore and Sheldon could be higher. And what is Gonzalez doing on this list at all?

Reaction Score
This list as laughable at best. For starters Aaliyah should be ahead of Kitley, Miles, Brink, and Jackson. Where is Alissa Pili who was Pac-12 player of the year and a second team all american last season? Also, no Kiki Rice or Kamilla Cardoso? What about Ta'niya Latson? I would take any of the players I listed over probably 1/3 of the players mentioned on this list. Heck, I'd add Shyanne Sellers to my list too before Gonazelez or Gustin. While I am at it, does anyone really think Sydney Parrish is the 18th best womens college basketball in the country? C'mon!

Reaction Score
Well, I’m not one to talk since I’d have a hard time doing such a ranking myself, but there’s a few head scratchers to say the least.

For one thing, I have a hard time imagining a scenario where Kamilla Cardoso won’t be a top 25 player.

And Reese above Paige?

Reaction Score
I know she's been out a year, but Paige is ranked too low.

I'm happy to see the Croatian Sensation getting some respect--#13!
With due respect to what Nika has brought to UConn, especially during lean personnel times, that she's ranked in the Top 25 is startling to me. Some of us wouldn't have her as a starter for the Huskies.

Harmon and Sheldon are two of the best guards in the country, way too low in the rankings.

This won't sit well here either, but Azzi is ranked on her press clippings and potential (as, I guess, are some of the others). Ahead of Holmes and Brink? Kidding, right?

I'd also have Paige ahead of Reese, who rode the shooting of an unheralded reserve to the title.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I know she's been out a year, but Paige is ranked too low.

I'm happy to see the Croatian Sensation getting some respect--#13!
Milford, I like your moniker for Nika. I have to borrow it at least once. You’ll see it when I do. It will be after the season starts. I’ll find a clever way to use it when I’m giving her some flowers.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
This list just shows that some BYers are too close to the action or too biased to see how good Nika is. During national telecasts, and the people making this list have a great opinion of what she brings to the court. Don't forget, she was a top 5 finalist for the Lieberman trophy for the best point guard in the country last year. It's pretty funny that at times outside opinions are closer to right than some inside opinions. Face it, in what she does she is great, and not many players are great at all aspects of the game. I for one love what she does, and it will be hard to replace what she brings to the team. I love this girl and will really miss her when she graduates.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
With due respect to what Nika has brought to UConn, especially during lean personnel times, that she's ranked in the Top 25 is startling to me. Some of us wouldn't have her as a starter for the Huskies.

Harmon and Sheldon are two of the best guards in the country, way too low in the rankings.

This won't sit well here either, but Azzi is ranked on her press clippings and potential (as, I guess, are some of the others). Ahead of Holmes and Brink? Kidding, right?

I'd also have Paige ahead of Reese, who rode the shooting of an unheralded reserve to the title.
Put yourself in the shoes of a general wcbb observer who does not follow the Boneyard. Sacrilege perhaps, but they do exist.

You note the following credentials that have national recognition:

Two time DPOY in her conference.
Single game assist record for the most storied program.
Season assist record for the most storied program.
The woman singled out by the storied Clark for her tenacious defense on her.
Was second only to Clark with assists, but with a significantly better A/T ratio.
Her shooting percentages are in line with other top, pure point guards.

Her biggest “fault,” that she does not shoot much even for a top pure point guard, is not something that would be on the radar of an outside observer basing their decisions on mostly nationally recognized and/or empirical considerations.

Eliminating all subjective assessments of skills, potential, insider knowledge, etc, there are not many top 25 players in the country that can boast such an empirically established resume as Muhl. Ironically enough, it’s only on a forum such as the BY where such empirical and nationally recognized achievements would be denigrated by a variety of subjective, analytical considerations, with such hyperbole as “startling” or “no-brainer.”

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
This list just shows that some BYers are too close to the action or too biased to see how good Nika is. During national telecasts, and the people making this list have a great opinion of what she brings to the court. Don't forget, she was a top 5 finalist for the Lieberman trophy for the best point guard in the country last year. It's pretty funny that at times outside opinions are closer to right than some inside opinions. Face it, in what she does she is great, and not many players are great at all aspects of the game. I for one love what she does, and it will be hard to replace what she brings to the team. I love this girl and will really miss her when she graduates.
Great minds ….

Reaction Score

If not for a team wide slump in February Nika would have likely finished the season ahead of Caitlin in assists and that would have added yet another amazing accomplishment to her resume. I suppose, if that occurred, your response to an appreciation thread would be your trademark .
th-3899899202.jpeg

Nika truly is the Rodney Dangerfield of Uconn wcbb. Aside from having, I would guess, the record for the most threads shut down, assumedly because of back and forth specifically about her, Nan in the latest ( the starting five thread) named the elephant in the room..."but we are NOT having yet another thread rehashing opinions on Nika. It’s all been said a million times already".

One thing is for sure, when Nika moves on from Uconn she will have left her mark on all of us. I for one am in total agreement with Geno, Nika is Unique! Whatever any of our opinions are on her talent, position on the roster or other debatable areas I assume we all love that she chose to be a Husky. Gotta love the kid, she bleeds blue from every pore of her being!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This list as laughable at best. For starters Aaliyah should be ahead of Kitley, Miles, Brink, and Jackson. Where is Alissa Pili who was Pac-12 player of the year and a second team all american last season? Also, no Kiki Rice or Kamilla Cardoso? What about Ta'niya Latson? I would take any of the players I listed over probably 1/3 of the players mentioned on this list. Heck, I'd add Shyanne Sellers to my list too before Gonazelez or Gustin. While I am at it, does anyone really think Sydney Parrish is the 18th best womens college basketball in the country? C'mon!
Well, anyone can post on YouTube. Heck they have a whole 32 subscribers. :cool:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
while i think such lists are just fodder for folks like us, i gotta say that i was (pleasantly) startled to find nika on the list at #13(?). i am a fan of nika's many vital contributions to the successes of the nation's most legendary WBB program, but this recognition on a 'top 25' list amazed me.

but, comments here and in the recent 'starting five' thread had me wondering why i was surprised by nika's inclusion; now i see even i had been discounting nika's accomplishments.

maybe i had been influenced by the many BY comments slighting her (and i appreciate the BY's many nika defenders). and maybe i was influenced even more by the situation she's been in -- surrounded by some of the best players in the ncaa today on a legendary team that has had multiple extraordinary players over the years.

of course she is judged in that context. she is not a paige bueckers or sue bird or diana taurasi; nor a breanna stewart, maya moore or nykesha sales etc. etc. etc.

she's not a ticha penitchiero either, but maybe i (and others) can realize she's uconn's closest version (apologies to ines). now i realize that's why she deserves mention as a 'top 25' -- even a top 13 -- player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Put yourself in the shoes of a general wcbb observer who does not follow the Boneyard. Sacrilege perhaps, but they do exist.

You note the following credentials that have national recognition:

Two time DPOY in her conference.
Single game assist record for the most storied program.
Season assist record for the most storied program.
The woman singled out by the storied Clark for her tenacious defense on her.
Was second only to Clark with assists, but with a significantly better A/T ratio.
Her shooting percentages are in line with other top, pure point guards.

I like your list! To add more context, I would add a little verbiage--"Single-season assist record for the most storied program, shattering the great Sue Bird's record, which had stood for 2 decades." Any time someone outdoes Sue, it's noteworthy.

Reaction Score
Oh woe, we don't have any decent players.
SC had the best talent and health during the Boston years. Hard to believe they only won 1 chip. Last year was inexcusable. I'm not a big fan of your coach. She is one of the main reasons they have underachieved. SC still has Top 5 or Top 10 at worst talent this year. Let's see what they do without the pressure of being top dog.

Reaction Score
SC had the best talent and health during the Boston years. Hard to believe they only won 1 chip. Last year was inexcusable. I'm not a big fan of your coach. She is one of the main reasons they have underachieved. SC still has Top 5 or Top 10 at worst talent this year. Let's see what they do without the pressure of being top dog.
36-1 is inexcusable? Would you say the same for the 2016-17 and 2017-18 UConn teams? Or the 2012-13 Baylor team?

Any team, no matter their talent level, can have an off night at the wrong time.

Reaction Score
I wonder how much Nika really knew about Paige before she committed.

Reaction Score
I wonder how much Nika really knew about Paige before she committed.
I think she went into it eyes open. Couldn't find the early article where she spoke about it when asked about committing to Uconn knowing Paige had just committed, but the jist of it was to be the best you have to play against the best so she was anxious about being able to go up against Paige in practices. Here's a couple quotes from Paige and Nika (after committing) from another article:

"I consider myself a combo guard," Bueckers said. "And from what I've heard, [Muhl] is unselfish and a pass-first point guard who will put the team first. I'm looking forward to getting to know her."

Added Muhl: "[Bueckers] is a great player. It's going to be fun. I think we are going to make each other better. Hopefully, we can win championships together."

I think they both called it spot on. I just hope Nika's last line is realized in April 2024!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom