Top 16 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Top 16

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
That's the thing IDK, just saying I won't be surprised if the committee pulls some chicanery us. It would be a shame if we don't be get host because it will 100% be a sold out crowd. 17000.
I think Indiana will get the last #4 seed (overall #16) for the reason you state, Assembly Hall will be sold out. I think their seeding will also depend on what Teri Moren informs the committee on MacKenzie Holmes status, she was put in a tough situation in their QF loss but didn't look ready.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Even if Texas wins tonight, I don't expect to receive a #1 seed. Just not enough wins against Top 10 opponents; non-conference schedule was weak other than home game against UConn. And, no other Big 12 teams among the expected Top 16 national seeds.
I still think if Texas wins, they get the #1 (#4 overall)(SC #1, Iowa #2, USC #3) seed. They took 2 of 3 from a very good Kansas State team that I wouldn't want to see in my bracket in the first two rounds. They lost a couple games within 2 weeks of losing their AA guard Rori Harmon while figuring it all out, will the committee take that into consideration? This year, outside of South Carolina I don't think there is much of a difference between the overall #2-#7 seeds which should make for a great tournament.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I still think if Texas wins, they get the #1 (#4 overall)(SC #1, Iowa #2, USC #3) seed. They took 2 of 3 from a very good Kansas State team that I wouldn't want to see in my bracket in the first two rounds. They lost a couple games within 2 weeks of losing their AA guard Rori Harmon while figuring it all out, will the committee take that into consideration? This year, outside of South Carolina I don't think there is much of a difference between the overall #2-#7 seeds which should make for a great tournament.

I'd like for you to be right; but, Texas' resume' just doesn't match Stanford's when looking at NET:

Q1 wins -- Stanford 13-4; Texas 9-4
Q2 wins -- Stanford 6-1; Texas 6-0
Q3 wins -- Stanford 7-0; Texas 8-0
Q4 wins -- Stanford 2-0; Texas 6-0

SOS -- Stanford 15; Texas 47
Non-conference SOS -- Stanford 46; Texas 160

Reaction Score
I'd like for you to be right; but, Texas' resume' just doesn't match Stanford's when looking at NET:

Q1 wins -- Stanford 13-4; Texas 9-4
Q2 wins -- Stanford 6-1; Texas 6-0
Q3 wins -- Stanford 7-0; Texas 8-0
Q4 wins -- Stanford 2-0; Texas 6-0

SOS -- Stanford 15; Texas 47
Non-conference SOS -- Stanford 46; Texas 160
I believe, per Charlie Creme, the women’s basketball committee does not use the quadrant ranking system. They instead look at NET 1-25, NET 26-50, NET 51-100, and NET 101+.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I believe, per Charlie Creme, the women’s basketball committee does not use the quadrant ranking system. They instead look at NET 1-25, NET 26-50, NET 51-100, and NET 101+.

Thanks. Even those stats suggest Stanford should have the edge over Texas.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Thanks. Even those stats suggest Stanford should have the edge over Texas.
Yes, and even more so when you look beyond the raw numbers to see which teams each beat.

Stanford has 5 wins over teams in the committee's most recent top 16. Texas has 1. Even if you count the 2 wins over KSU who is on the hosting bubble, Stanford's quality wins are much stronger.

Reaction Score
Man. With Gonzaga losing today, they might fall to #20 they some of these voters treat some teams. Hats off to Portland. This was the third meeting between these programs, the second was just a few days ago. Portland played really well.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
You know, UCLA's body of work is actually very impressive. Record is 8-5 vs NET Top 25. Wins @ Ohio State, vs UConn, vs Southern Cal, vs Utah, vs Oregon State, vs Colorado, and @ Colorado. Win over Utah in PAC tournament.

Are they being scrutinized more for their losses than they are being given credit for their wins? Road losses at Southern Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, Washington State (29), and Utah. Loss to Southern Cal in PAC tournament.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You know, UCLA's body of work is actually very impressive. Record is 8-5 vs NET Top 25. Wins @ Ohio State, vs UConn, vs Southern Cal, vs Utah, vs Oregon State, vs Colorado, and @ Colorado. Win over Utah in PAC tournament.

Are they being scrutinized more for their losses than they are being given credit for their wins? Road losses at Southern Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, Washington State (29), and Utah. Loss to Southern Cal in PAC tournament.
I thought the committee's first reveal, where they were #7, was too harsh on them. They moved up to #4 in the next reveal, but that was as much because of others' losses as UCLA's wins. Their loss to Washington State was without Betts, which the committee is supposed to consider. I would grade their resume as ahead of Texas', but for sure no lower than #6 at this point.

If Iowa had lost the Big Ten final to Nebraska, there was a distinct possibility that three Pac-12 teams could have been #1 seeds.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Kenan Thompson Nbc GIF by Saturday Night Live

Let's just say I've had decades of practice with U$C, and fUCLA has been making up for lost time the past couple of years...
If I'm not mistaken, my Gamecocks are playing at UCLA and Stanford next season. If so, I'm there. I have a great niece and great nephew in Irvine I haven't met yet. I still can't wrap my head around my nephew and niece in law moving from Santa Monica to Irvine.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Ah those SEC-BiG and SEC-ACC inter conference rivalries.,
USC was a founding member of the ACC so those rivalries are still fierce. It's really our natural home, moreso than the SEC.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
USC was a founding member of the ACC so those rivalries are still fierce. It's really our natural home, moreso than the SEC.
Speaking as a Bay Area local Stanford alum who enjoyed 80 degree days in February during undergrad, and who will be watching his team travel for a "conference" away game to Syracuse, NY next winter, "natural home" doesn't seem to count for as much as it used to...

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Speaking as a Bay Area local Stanford alum who enjoyed 80 degree days in February during undergrad, and who will be watching his team travel for a "conference" away game to Syracuse, NY next winter, "natural home" doesn't seem to count for as much as it used to...
Sigh; and it's to the detriment of rivalries. At least Cal (do you have a fun nickname for them?) is moving with you.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sigh; and it's to the detriment of rivalries. At least Cal (do you have a fun nickname for them?) is moving with you.
If they do, I'd love to hear it. I would be surprised if they didn't.

I would also like to know what sports they consider their primary rivalry. They are all over the place in football and I think in men's basketball as well. While Stanford is great in WBB I don't think Cal has ever been all that great. I do know that they are decent in a lot of sports.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Between us (shhh), I'm also a Cal alum (for my Ph.D.), and I absolutely admire the institution, even though I never formed an attachment to its sports teams. So although our fanboard calls them the "Weenies," I can't get on board with that, even though I also don't actively root for them. (And honestly, Stanford is blessed with so many more resources and so much less bureacuacy than Cal is, that I find it almost kind of indecent to root against them.)

Reaction Score
Not sure why, but Creme moved UConn out of Albany this morning . . .

I wouldn’t care if UConn got a 7 seed this year tbh. No expectations for this group and really match ups are more important than anything elss this year more than ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom