Too Early for a Depth Chart? not for me..... | The Boneyard

Too Early for a Depth Chart? not for me.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anybody care to partake. If the season started to day your 2 deep would look like....... I keep a running depth chart of my own on the team. See how it compares to the coaches and to see where we need help. Feel free to pick it apart. This would be my depth chart if the season started tomorrow.

Offense

QB (5)- Chandler Whitmer
- Casey Cochran
- Tim Boyle
- Scott McCummings
- Kivon Taylor
# Liam Sallquist

RB (5)- Lyle McCombs
- Joseph Williams
- Josh Marriner
- Max DeLorenzo
- Martin Hyppolite

FB (4)- Rueben Frank
- Jazzmar Clax
- Matt Walsh
- Wyatt Vinci

WR (9)- Geremy Davis
- Shakim Phillips
- John Green
- Ricky Gutierrez
- Brian Lemelle
- Dhameer Bradley
- Deshon Foxx
- Kamal Abrams
- Noel Thomas

TE (5)- Sean McQuillan
- Mark Hansson
- Jordan Fuchs
- Tommy Myers
- Quinn Thompson

OT (8)- Jimmy Bennett (LT)
- Kevin Friend (RT)
- Xavier Hemingway
- Richard Levy
- Dalton Gifford
- Paul Nwokeji
- Chasz Wright
- Tommy Hopkins

OG(6)- Steven Greene (LG)
- Tyler Samra (RG)
- Gus Cruz
- Alex Mateas
- Kyle Schafenacker
- Zach Rugg

C(3)- Tyler Bullock
- Kyle Bockeloh
- Bryan Paull

Defense

DE(9)- Jesse Joseph
- E.J. Norris
- B.J. McBryde
- Jonathan Louis
- Brendan Battles-Santos
- Jalen Stevens
- Sha-ki Holines
- Cameron Stapleton
- Cole Ormsby

DT(9)- Shamar Stephen
- Angelo Pruitt
- Mikal Myers
- Andreas Knappe
- Julian Campenni
- Tim Willman
- Kenton Adeyemi
- Foloronso Fatukasi
- Michael Boland

OLB(6)- Graham Stewart
- Marquise Vann
- Jefferson Ashiru
- Ryan Donahue
- Omaine Stephens
- Chris Britton

MLB(5)- Yawin Smallwood
- Jon Hicks
- Junior Joseph
- Cory Jasudowich
- Brandon Steg

CB(6)- Byron Jones
- Taylor Mack
- Jhavon Williams
- Javon Hadley
- David Stevenson
- Tyree Clark

S(7)- Ty-Meer Brown (SS)
- Andrew Adams (FS)
- Obi Melifonwu
- Wilbert Lee
- Michael Ellis Marder
- Jordan Floyd
- Thomas Lucas

P(1)- Cole Wagner

K-(2) - Chad Christen
- Bobby Puyol

LS- Adam Mueller

Some notes after updating the depth chart:

Really wish Tebucky had stuck around. I think he would have been the clear number 3 and brought a lot of experience. Now the 3rd WR spot is very up for grabs. I guess thats not a terrible thing for competition purposes. I really have no idea though how it shakes out after the top 2 right now.

We could have been really green at the DE spot next year if Joseph wasn't granted an extra year. We would have had to start, IMO, a true soph. in Norris, and an incumbent in either McBryde or Willman or Louis. Thank god for Joseph.

Lots of guys classified as DT's right now and MLB's. Because of this I could see Holines getting work at DE this year before putting on weight and sliding in. Could use a guy to switch to OLB too. Stevens is the only one that really makes sense. Steg I guess as well. We really only have 5 true OLB's and one is a true FR. in: Stewart, Vann, Ashiru, Omaine, Britton. huskies.com has Steg classified as MLB, personally Donahue is more of a MLB as well. Interested to see who is going to start between Vann and Ashiru. They both will play plenty I'm sure, just interested to know who the coaches thinks is further developed.

Fuchs and Myers definitely have a chance to get good time this year with how much Weist likes to use TE's and the fact that Hansson sat all of last year and is more of a blocking TE.

I think our safeties have a lot of potential. Lots of playmakers there. I really hope TyMeer improves and guys like Marder, Obi, Floyd and Adams, Lee compete hard for that starting spot. As I said in another thread I think Byron Jones and possibly one other could make the move to CB.

CB most likely will be our weakest position next year. Even if we move Jones over we have to start Mack on the outside and hope he gets significantly better in coverage. Lots of zone and soft zone at that.

Our D still has a lot of above average players. But we really lack quality depth excluding the LB position.

Have heard some say that Jazzmar Clax could be our thunder RB.....Would love to see 2 backs used.

Reaction Score
THere is a possibility that we go to the 3-4 as a base defense (at least on occasion) and that would mean two inside LBs as starters.

Reaction Score
fixed as best i could to make it aesthetically pleasing

Reaction Score
THere is a possibility that we go to the 3-4 as a base defense (at least on occasion) and that would mean two inside LBs as starters.

I agree........Maybe Donahue and Yawin inside.....With Stewart and Vann/Ashiru on the outside....

Reaction Score
No predictions but, except for CB and TE, we have good depth at almost every position. Will have to see how the OL develops IMO.

Reaction Score
I bet we see many more of P's recruits on the 2 deep, with more than a few starting.

Couple of potential things I see that differ from your chart:

Cruz over Greene
A true frosh starting at TE
Myers over Pruitt
Jhavon Williams over Mack
Don't sleep on Bockeloh

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
@kcc1442 great post!

-hasson top te
-get lee on the field somewhere higher imho
-floyd above marder
-knappe to high, myers may be higher
-based on what we do with the slot bradley may be #3
-swap gutz and green
-stevens is a heck of a player/ath, but he will need to bulk up more than other frosh, could be lower than holiness...

other thoughts:
-wish clax was rb #3 and marriner #4. then we could get 2 or 3 in 2014 class and be set for the future. that would leave frank-walsh at fb which should be fine. 3 fbs is loaded and 4 is ......
-max, martin, vici, foxx and mccumings imho need to call townson up, sorry tuff love but i'm not seeing a reason to keep them as of today. not so sure paull needs to be here if hes on ship( i forget). that may be the group to get to 5 cuts this spring unless a couple OL dont gain weight or other things go down.
-2014 i take 1 qb, then i move taylor to wr or s depending on whats best...

future look also to weight rs jrs next year coming back-we have 5 guys we need to reoffer at this point for 2014:
-its looking like a 15 to 20 kid class, leaning small based on roster moves to come and youth overall
-sylva(lb)
-branford(db)
-bryan(ol)
-cunningham(wr/db)
-summers(db)

10-15 more slots to fill
-qb
-rb(2 or 3)
-ol(2)
-te
-dl(2 or 3)
-lb

Reaction Score
I bet we see many more of P's recruits on the 2 deep, with more than a few starting.

Couple of potential things I see that differ from your chart:

Cruz over Greene
A true frosh starting at TE
Myers over Pruitt
Jhavon Williams over Mack
Don't sleep on Bockeloh

I like these. I think Greene's development has slowed big time. I put him there mainly from an experience standpoint but he is a bit slow when he pulls and often misses assignments. I could also definitely see a true frosh at TE. I think Pruitt starts the year at DT, he got some decent time and played well down the stretch last year. Jhavon Williams over Mack is a wow. I know Mack has struggled a bit but....I don't know maybe. And Bullock is definitely not locked in there either....So yeah I could see all your points.

Reaction Score
In the 3-4 I see the front 7 like this:

DE: Jesse Joseph
NT: Shamar Stephen
DE: Julian Campenni
OLB: Graham Stewart
ILB: Marquis Vann
ILB: Yawin Smallwood
OLB: Jefferson Ashiru

I would love to see Smallwood standing up on the edge on passing downs. He is an extremely underrated pass rusher.

Reaction Score
@kcc1442 great post!

-hasson top te
-get lee on the field somewhere higher imho
-floyd above marder
-knappe to high, myers may be higher I might have fallen in love with size there.......
-based on what we do with the slot bradley may be #3
-swap gutz and green
-stevens is a heck of a player/ath, but he will need to bulk up more than other frosh, could be lower than holiness...

other thoughts:
-wish clax was rb #3 and marriner #4. then we could get 2 or 3 in 2014 class and be set for the future. that would leave frank-walsh at fb which should be fine. 3 fbs is loaded and 4 is ......
-max, martin, vici, foxx and mccumings imho need to call townson up, sorry tuff love but i'm not seeing a reason to keep them as of today. not so sure paull needs to be here if hes on ship( i forget). that may be the group to get to 5 cuts this spring unless a couple OL dont gain weight or other things go down.
-2014 i take 1 qb, then i move taylor to wr or s depending on whats best...

future look also to weight rs jrs next year coming back-we have 5 guys we need to reoffer at this point for 2014:
-its looking like a 15 to 20 kid class, leaning small based on roster moves to come and youth overall
-sylva(lb)
-branford(db)
-bryan(ol)
-cunningham(wr/db)
-summers(db)

10-15 more slots to fill
-qb
-rb(2 or 3)
-ol(2)
-te
-dl(2 or 3)
-lb

haha. the townson idea is tough reality huh.....I would say we would stretch ourselves thin on O particularly RB if we dropped those 5 to make 85. Need to drop 2 from the D side at the least. unless we move some over. Maybe keep Max or Foxx (who used to be a RB).

It could be another 20 class next year. It never looks to be as big now as it will be due to attrition.
Rs Jr.'s possibly forced out next year: Paull (who? where did 4 years go?), Steg (way to much talent at LB), Louis/McBryde (one of these 2) McCummings (if not this year), Mateas/Cruz (one of these 2...Shaf should be ready to go along with Samra and Rennick hopefully)....

Reaction Score

I would love to see Smallwood standing up on the edge on passing downs. He is an extremely underrated pass rusher.

Its different...I like it.......Gotta have Norris out there no? Kid is a beast........Although in a 3-4, you want more beef at your DE spots to protect against the run while relying on the backers blitzing against the pass....

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
haha. the townson idea is tough reality huh.....I would say we would stretch ourselves thin on O particularly RB if we dropped those 5 to make 85. well i also like the clax thunder idea so him lyle and jw should be enough to rs marriner. then u look at clax and decide if he moves to lb and u recruit 1 less in 2014 or what...Need to drop 2 from the D side at the least.im interested in moving knappe to ot if he can't make the field on d unless we move some over. Maybe keep Max or Foxx (who used to be a RB). foxx seems like the perfect team ath but i just have yet to buy into him.

It could be another 20 class next year. problem is we have 10 sr's and like 15 rs jrs, very hard to tell right now. thats why the 5 cuts will be interesting. It never looks to be as big now as it will be due to attrition.
Rs Jr.'s possibly forced out next year: Paull (who? where did 4 years go?), Steg (way to much talent at LB), Louis/McBryde (one of these 2) McCummings (if not this year), Mateas/Cruz (one of these 2...Shaf should be ready to go along with Samra and Rennick hopefully)....

Reaction Score
Its different...I like it.......Gotta have Norris out there no? Kid is a beast........Although in a 3-4, you want more beef at your DE spots to protect against the run while relying on the backers blitzing against the pass....

Definitely need more beef at end, as they are essentially D Tackles. Norris should rotate in and should always be in on obvious passing downs.

I am really excited to see what Vann can do in a full time role. I loved his highlights coming out of high school. He played angry. Love to see that.

Reaction Score
@kcc1442 great post!

-hasson top te you think hansson is our top TE coming into next year? Interesting.....I always saw him as more of a blocking TE since he was a OL in high school. I figured it was one of those moves for Edsall where he had an extra OL but needed a TE....First day of camp, whose got the best hands out of you big boys???? I figure Weist likes the hybrid split out TE's if he is going to spread the offense more....

Reaction Score
I agree that its never too early.
I think Noel Thomas sees the field in the fall.
And we need to sign a punter next February.

Reaction Score

Thinking back to this........I think we would have to push Yawin outside to generate a good pass rush on early downs where we left Camp and JJ in to protect against the run. Campenni and Joseph aren't going to put pressure off the edge.....Would have to have 2 really good OLB that were fast and could get into the backfield...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

I agree with everything but Campenni at the end spot. I think a Willman type would be better because of his height.

Reaction Score
Campenni and Myers will be solid # 3 and #4 back-ups. I think we see Knappe make a position switch to defensive end, but I don't think he sees the field until 2014, IMHO. Look to Battles-Santos to make a splash behind Norris.

Safety excites me because there is young, but quality depth at the position.

Quarterback and Running back look correct, but I do like Hyppolite and Delorenzo as workhorses. I can see a guy like Delorenzo acting as an aggressive pass blocker.

Wide receiver will be a more stable position and I think coach Weist will spread the ball around. I think he could go six deep at receiver. Depending how Thomas, Lemelle, and Bradley adjust, they could all see some valuable time.

I think tight end will be Hansson and McQuillan. I could also see a back-up tackle working in as a blocking tight end. Maybe Levy to wrestle down some DE's and LBs.

Rugg, Samra, and Levy will all see minutes as Redshirt Freshmen. Much better depth and Shafnecker could open up the battle at gaurd. It will be interesting how mateas and bullock perform in the spring. Both had struggles last year, but I expect more consistent play at center.

Cornerback is the wild card, and I wonder if a guy like Floyd or Marder could make the switch.

Reaction Score
I think Noel is too far down on the list especially seeing he's going to be in spring ball.

My feeling on that is there is 3 very talented Freshman wideouts coming in. With 2 top end wideouts. I don't think there is a need to burn all 3 red shirts. 2 of the 3 (Noel and Dhameer) enrolled early but the most highly acclaimed Lemelle is coming in in the summer. It will be interesting seeing plays and who beats who out but again I just dont see the point of burning all their redshirts. So I guess I see Noel as the 3rd of those 3. I think he is/or could be already better than Foxx and Abrams but I see them with the experience and they will probably get the shots early to see if they have improved. If not its going to be tough not too get weened out for their senior years.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the staff has anything thoughts on playing Noel at CB. Very nice height. Don't know if he played there in HS. But that is certainly a position of need and he might see the field sooner if he can make the transition smoothly.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the staff has anything thoughts on playing Noel at CB. Very nice height. Don't know if he played there in HS. But that is certainly a position of need and he might see the field sooner if he can make the transition smoothly.
He played safety when I saw him. But he is so athletic and smart, that he could make that transition. That may be his ticket to the NFL. He would have to redshirt to learn the position, but he could be a quicker Blidi.

Reaction Score

Not as it stands now..

"The UConn head coach did not rule out other phases where Thomas Jr. may contribute early in his career. "Right now, we'll see how far he can take this as a wide receiver," Pasqualoni said. "We'll also see what Noel's special teams contributions can be. That's another area where he can contribute and add plays. We want to see exactly how he does with those things." Pasqualoni was practically giddy about having Thomas Jr. in the Huskies' spectacular football training facilities for the next seven months."Noel is a bigger wide receiver, and now that he is moving on to UConn, everything is specific, and he can focus on football and the weight room," Pasqualoni said. "Noel has the chance to gain more and more strength, and with that comes more speed. With more speed comes more explosiveness, and with more explosiveness comes more durability, and that will enhance his speed. All these things are advantages, and these are things we want him to focus on."

http://www.thehour.com/sports/norwa...cle_2affd920-f4f7-54fb-be28-941aed2173d9.html

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Awesome post and thread here! I'm so fired up for Spring Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads