TJ Weist deserves a real chance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

TJ Weist deserves a real chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn coach comes in and 'reinvigorates' moribund team. Discovers 'undiscovered' too short QB on the bench. Revitalizes non-productive offense, stiffens break (no more talent) but do not bend defense. Discovers talent where none thought there was talent before. Yeah, I would quit on this guy.

Reaction Score
If Coach Weist is not selected as head coach, the new coach should in no way be forced to keep him on as an OC. The new coach should be given complete authority to hire the staff of his choosing.

I do think that he has shown a lot in these last 3 games. Unlike many on this board, I can give a rat's behind if UCONN hires a "name" coach. I want a coach who can come in here and win. We need a coach who can evaluate talent, recruit, and effectively manage the players and his coaching staff. Period.

And let's be honest. The "name" guys out there that are in our reach are not exactly big names.

I think TJ gets a real look. One could even argue that it's risky to not hire him, we actually have some offensive chemistry which we haven't had in like over a half decade.

I think that the defensive staff needs to be reworked for sure.

Another thing to consider, it isn't going to cost 2 mil to sign TJ. And Shane Day isn't going to be paid as much as TJ was.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
UConn coach comes in and 'reinvigorates' moribund team. Discovers 'undiscovered' too short QB on the bench. Revitalizes non-productive offense, stiffens break (no more talent) but do not bend defense. Discovers talent where none thought there was talent before. Yeah, I would quit on this guy.

Biggest decision he made as an HC was to "fire" himself as OC and turn over play calling to Shane Day.

Wise move and something he had to do as the HC. As the HC he is as mostly an administrator and delegator during the week. It's not easy admitting that he was taking on too much. But he admitted, searched his staff and made the right decision. That's what HC's have to do.

Reaction Score
Give him a 5 year deal, with a clause in his contract that if he does not win 6 games next season his buyout will be voided. I think TJ deserves a legit shot. #TeamTJ #NoSleeveNation #WeTaketheStairs #10toesin

Reaction Score

Not fair to couch it like that. If turnaround had happened sooner I'd be "all in" for TJ. But folks need to step back from euphoria of the moment.

What sucks is that TJ didn't have more power from the start of the season. Is there any doubt the playcalling since October has been better? Of course CC's performance has played a role as well.

Reaction Score
Biggest decision he made as an HC was to "fire" himself as OC and turn over play calling to Shane Day.

No, biggest decision was to go with Cochran. Not every coach would have done that, but Weist isn't blind and stubborn like PP.

Going with Shane Day was another great move though. Weist knows how to delegate, you need that in a leader.

Reaction Score
TJ did what good coaches do. He took a look at his roster and developed a game plan that took advantage of the talent he had. He got players to buy in and never quit.

The idiots before TJ were too stupid to realize they were trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of TJ as HC. I know it's emotional but.....

He is supposedly a good recruiter. He appears to be able to motivate. He definitely can coach players up.

Yeah...I guess I'm on the TJ band wagon.

I'd only keep Day and Foley though. Time for a new defensive coaching staff.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Watch the first game TJ coached as an HC against USF and watch today's game.

He has demonstrated a sharp learning curve.

Both games were at home against poor competition.

Look at how the offense has evolved, the players have impoved and how the in-game coaching/management has improved.

Warde definitely has a tougher decision that he did before Thanksgiving.

Reaction Score
Not fair to couch it like that. If turnaround had happened sooner I'd be "all in" for TJ. But folks need to step back from euphoria of the moment.

What sucks is that TJ didn't have more power from the start of the season. Is there any doubt the playcalling since October has been better? Of course CC's performance has played a role as well.
I respectfully disagree. Euphoria is not a feeling UCONN fans have had in a long time. I for one want to revel in it.

Reaction Score
TJ did what good coaches do. He took a look at his roster and developed a game plan that took advantage of the talent he had. He got players to buy in and never quit.

The idiots before TJ were too stupid to realize they were trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of TJ as HC. I know it's emotional but.....

He is supposedly a good recruiter. He appears to be able to motivate. He definitely can coach players up.

Yeah...I guess I'm on the TJ band wagon.

I'd only keep Day and Foley though. Time for a new defensive coaching staff.
Are we looking for something other than a proven 'good' coach?

Reaction Score
TJ is the right choice. He will come cheap and if he doesn't work out he can be sent away with a cheap buyout. Or better yet, give him a series of one year contracts where the next year depends on how he does the current year. That's the proper motivation.

Reaction Score
This is why I think TJ has a shot. This statement from Warde, earlier in the week, says a lot. By the way...we knew PP didn't hire TJ, but this just confirms it. Warde has to be torn right now.

"I loved T.J. from the time I put him in and it hasn't changed from the day I appointed him as interim (coach)," Manuel said. "He is a great person, a great coach and he has done a hell of a job leading the team and we will see where it goes from here."

Reaction Score
TJ is the right choice. He will come cheap and if he doesn't work out he can be sent away with a cheap buyout. Or better yet, give him a series of one year contracts where the next year depends on how he does the current year. That's the proper motivation.

You do know there is no such thing as year to year contracts in big boy FB right?

Reaction Score
Its an impossible recruiting situation. If you hired him you could incorporate a favorable buyout for the school, but now is not the time for experimenting. Find who you think is the right guy, and give him everything he needs to succeed.

Reaction Score
That's what the feeling is? I thought I had gas. Euphoria seems better.
Hopefully eur
Its an impossible recruiting situation. If you hired him you could incorporate a favorable buyout for the school, but now is not the time for experimenting. Find who you think is the right guy, and give him everything he needs to succeed.
While I agree on a certain level, any choice now is experimenting. There is no proven 'guarenteed' commodity out there, particularly when you consider our geographical location and conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
What I meant is, if your going to hire TJ, hire him and don't handicap him by trying to play it safe by concocting some half ass one year contract BS. Hire the best guy for the job in your opinion if your Warde. Period.

Reaction Score
A team left for dead at the bottom of the BCS was transformed and lit it up for 400+ and put up more production than in years . Are you kidding. The guy just made a serious case for the job. Unless we're getting Narduzzi or Clawson, we keep the horse the pull us out of the mess.

Reaction Score
It's not only the three wins, but the morale of this team and the fans has change tremendously. Think back to after the Buffalo game, how did you feel :( ...Now walking out after todays game, how did you feel. :)

TJ deserves a chance.

Reaction Score
My first choice would be Lembo or Clawson, but if those guys go elsewhere, I'm on board with TJ. The way he has completely turned around the offense and overall morale of this team is beyond what anyone could have expected.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
I would not be disappointed with TJ. Expect that he would get a significant raise, but much less than P was paid. Would free up money to spend on top notch coordinators to support a less experienced head coach, and provide some strong recruiting support. He has KO type followship with his players.

Reaction Score
I'm warming to TJ, my only concern is can he recruit? Not sure what role he played in recruiting either here or at Cincy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom