2023 Recruiting: - TJ Power wants to play baseball and basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: TJ Power wants to play baseball and basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I've seen him pitch a few times for St. John's. I don't remember him batting and I think he just pitched at St. John's. He was not a great pitcher. He looks more intimidating than he pitches because of his height. Maybe he got better but as far as I know St. John's didn't play this past spring and my son, who played Legion this past summer and knows every baseball player in the area, says he's pretty sure Power didn't pitch this past summer either. I can see BC taking him for baseball. They took John West in the 2020 class, another 6-8 kid from Shrewsbury who pitched and was a basketball player, who is a similar type pitcher but better. D1 schools will take a chance on a 6-8 pitcher thinking they can work with that kind of height to increase their velocity.

I don't even understand the basketball hype either. I've seen him play at least 5 times and he didn't impress me. Kids who played against him say he's soft and I saw that first hand last winter. But what do I know? I'll be very interested to see what he does in college. He is repeating his sophomore year so he has another 3 years to get stronger and improve.
Consistent with what Chief heard. However, I have not seen him play myself.

Reaction Score
Consistent with what Chief heard. However, I have not seen him play myself.
Curious where you've heard that just because I'm interested if they have more credibility than I do. I'm no scout but I was shocked when I saw ESPN had him at 22 in the 2023 rankings. There's no way anyone who watched the 3 games I did last winter would put him anywhere near that high. He's repeating his sophomore year so he has 3 more years to improve. I'll be curious to follow his career.

Reaction Score
when is the last time we had a two sport athlete? that would be pretty cool and we're a great option if Penders and Hurley are both on board.
Scott Burrell

Reaction Score
Brian Herosian (sp) was a star for UConn in football as a defensive back and baseball as a pitcher. Rodney Bass may have played football and basketball. Maybe a kid named Crisp as well? Can't think of a baseball basketball. Olander probably could have done it.

Reaction Score
There was a thread about him maybe 3 months ago? After seeing him play in person several times I can't express enough that he's NOT a recruit of our caliber. I think his peak is a Northeastern or a BU on the basketball side, he's not a UConn level player.

Reaction Score
Did Scott Burrell ever pitch at UConn? He was a first round draft pick out of high school and played 2 summers in the minors while he was at UConn. Can't imagine that ever working out in today's environment.
Not only did he not pitch at UConn, I am fairly certain he wasn't even on scholarship. I believe the Expos paid for his tuition.

Reaction Score
There was a thread about him maybe 3 months ago? After seeing him play in person several times I can't express enough that he's NOT a recruit of our caliber. I think his peak is a Northeastern or a BU on the basketball side, he's not a UConn level player.

Reaction Score
Interesting that everyone who's seen him play thinks he's terrible, except for all these high major coaches
I know really! I want to understand what I'm missing. I'm obviously not a coach or a scout of any kind, although I've seen enough high level prospects in AAU and high school basketball settings, so maybe I can learn how these guys look at recruits by following this recruitment. He still has 3 more years of high school so things could change.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What games did you see him play? I saw his St. John's team play 3 games last year, including the Central Mass. final against Franklin. Franklin had nobody close to his height but they did a good job on him. He did hit the winning free throws with 5 second left. I've never seen him play AAU games so maybe he looks better there against better competition?

Reaction Score
I don't know if I'd call his current offer list "high majors"

I've been wrong before, but I don't see myself taking an L on this one.

For instance, there was a kid named Chris Doherty in central MA who everyone (around these parts at least) was raving about. I watched him play in person a few times and walked away completely unimpressed. When I saw that he committed to Notre Dame I laughed and I said, I'll give him a year before he transfers home. People told me I was crazy, he was perfect for Brey's system blah blah blah.. Fast forward 2 years, he was glued to the bench, never saw the floor - transferred back home to Northeastern where he has scored 25 points this season - TOTAL.

We all miss once in a while, but in no way shape or form do I see TJ Power ever being an impact player at the D-1 level.

Nate Laszewski is another good example, saw him play against Granby in the NCCC tournament, kid caught an alley oop from 3/4 court, just a total holy **** moment. Dominated the game on both ends, went prep the next year and now starts for Notre Dame and has had an excellent career.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I know. I want to understand what I'm missing. I'm obviously not a coach or a scout of any kind, although I've seen enough high level prospects in AAU and high school basketball settings, so maybe I can learn how these guys look at recruits by following this recruitment. He still has 3 more years of high school so things could change.

That's one heck of an understatement.

Reaction Score

For instance, there was a kid named Chris Doherty in central MA who everyone (around these parts at least) was raving about. I watched him play in person a few times and walked away completely unimpressed. When I saw that he committed to Notre Dame I laughed and I said, I'll give him a year before he transfers home. People told me I was crazy, he was perfect for Brey's system blah blah blah.. Fast forward 2 years, he was glued to the bench, never saw the floor - transferred back home to Northeastern where he has scored 25 points this season - TOTAL.

We all miss once in a while, but in no way shape or form do I see TJ Power ever being an impact player at the D-1 level.

Nate Laszewski is another good example, saw him play against Granby in the NCCC tournament, kid caught an alley oop from 3/4 court, just a total holy **** moment. Dominated the game on both ends, went prep the next year and now starts for Notre Dame and has had an excellent career.
Not sure what you'd consider high major if UConn, Providence, Marquette, DePaul (Big East), Iowa (Big 10), BC (ACC) don't count as high major offers

Reaction Score
What games did you see him play? I saw his St. John's team play 3 games last year, including the Central Mass. final against Franklin. Franklin had nobody close to his height but they did a good job on him. He did hit the winning free throws with 5 second left. I've never seen him play AAU games so maybe he looks better there against better competition?
I saw St. Johns win in a blowout once, and he was literally just going through the motions out there. While he didn't really "need" to score, seeing a player who I read about in the newspaper several times (before his recruitment heated up) just kind of float around. Second time I saw him he didn't make much of an effort to be an impact player, he seems to prefer to let the game come to him.

Which connects with everything I've heard/read about him, baseball is his ticket, he just plays basketball because he enjoys it but baseball should be the focus.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you'd consider high major if UConn, Providence, Marquette, DePaul (Big East), Iowa (Big 10), BC (ACC) don't count as high major offers
I don't see how you can say those are high majors? I think there's tiers to it, and I personally can't list those teams you did with Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc.

They're definitely not mid majors but as far as I'm concerned there's a different quality of player when I look at his offers and it's PC/Marquette/Iowa vs. Duke/UNC/Kentucky.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don’t believe Scott Burrell pitched at UConn. The only person I can think of is Randy LaVigne in late 70’ / early 80’s. Solid hoop career at UConn, then played minor league baseball.

Not sure if anybody has done this since, but Scott Burrell is only person to be drafted in first round of NBA and MLB draft.

Pretty sure he also had a scholarship offer to play QB at Notre Dame. He was incredible. Never pitched for UConn that I recall, but he did play a little minor league baseball.

Reaction Score

Yeah I was thinking about Doherty also, who I saw play a few times in high school. But he wasn't nearly as highly ranked or had the same acclaim at the same age as Power does. I also didn't understand ND taking him. It might have had something to do with Zach Auguste coming from the same high school and having a pretty good career at ND. Maybe the Marlborough coach talked Brey into taking him because Brey trusted him after Auguste?

I've been told Doherty was kind of a punk in high school but Power is supposedly a very nice kid with a good work ethic. Character matters to many coaches in college basketball.

Reaction Score
Very good points there, heard the same about Power in that regard. Agreed.

Reaction Score
Dennis Long on the same team as Randy and very good friends, both played both. Obviously Randy a much better hoops player but both good players on the baseball team.
Forgot about Dennis Long. Sat bench on Hoop team, I believe he was a pitcher on baseball team ( but not 100% sure). Wasn't baseball team that went to College World Series a couple years after they graduated?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He's played 2 years of high school at St. John's but is currently repeating his sophomore year at Worcester Academy.

I was referencing the point that HS kids "could" change during their last three years of HS. Athlete or not, that's a Randy Edsall level vanilla statement.

Reaction Score
I don't see how you can say those are high majors? I think there's tiers to it, and I personally can't list those teams you did with Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc.

They're definitely not mid majors but as far as I'm concerned there's a different quality of player when I look at his offers and it's PC/Marquette/Iowa vs. Duke/UNC/Kentucky.
High major does not mean blue blood. A high major is any of the power 5 conference teams and for basketball I think the Big East is right in that conversation too.

But whatever lingo you choose to use, if you only consider a high major offer to be from Duke and Kentucky then use whatever you would consider the tier right below that and he has multiple offers from schools in that tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom