2023 Recruiting: - TJ Power wants to play baseball and basketball | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: TJ Power wants to play baseball and basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't see how you can say those are high majors? I think there's tiers to it, and I personally can't list those teams you did with Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc.

They're definitely not mid majors but as far as I'm concerned there's a different quality of player when I look at his offers and it's PC/Marquette/Iowa vs. Duke/UNC/Kentucky.
Doesn't the pecking order go... Blue Blood, High Major, Low Major, Mid Major and everyone else? Just curious.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
High major does not mean blue blood. A high major is any of the power 5 conference teams and for basketball I think the Big East is right in that conversation too.

But whatever lingo you choose to use, if you only consider a high major offer to be from Duke and Kentucky then use whatever you would consider the tier right below that and he has multiple offers from schools in that tier

High Major is definitely the P5 plus Big East, plus a few other programs like Gonzaga, Houston, Cinci etc. basically anything above mid major. Not sure how anybody thinks Iowa, currently #10, isn’t “high major”.

As for the recruit, haven’t seen him. If I followed my local HS team I guess I would have in last year’s championship game. Jake Layman was probably the most successful local kid I can recall.

Reaction Score
I don't see how you can say those are high majors? I think there's tiers to it, and I personally can't list those teams you did with Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc.

They're definitely not mid majors but as far as I'm concerned there's a different quality of player when I look at his offers and it's PC/Marquette/Iowa vs. Duke/UNC/Kentucky.
He's listing them as high majors because they are high majors.
High major does not mean blue blood. A high major is any of the power 5 conference teams and for basketball I think the Big East is right in that conversation too.

But whatever lingo you choose to use, if you only consider a high major offer to be from Duke and Kentucky then use whatever you would consider the tier right below that and he has multiple offers from schools in that tier
Big East is as high major as it gets.

Reaction Score
when is the last time we had a two sport athlete? that would be pretty cool and we're a great option if Penders and Hurley are both on board.
Tyler Olander was (maybe still is?) a pitcher in the Toronto organization. Did he play baseball at UConn too? I don't think so.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t believe Scott Burrell pitched at UConn. The only person I can think of is Randy LaVigne in late 70’ / early 80’s. Solid hoop career at UConn, then played minor league baseball.

Not sure if anybody has done this since, but Scott Burrell is only person to be drafted in first round of NBA and MLB draft.
Walt Dropo Was an amazing athlete. You said the NBA, so your quote is correct, but Dropo was drafted in three professional sports.

While at the University of Connecticut Dropo played for the football team, basketball team and baseball team. Dropo left UConn as the school's all-time leading scorer in basketball. Dropo was drafted in the first round of the 1947 BAA Draft by the Providence Steamrollerswith the fourth overall pick. Dropo was also drafted by the Chicago Bears in the 9th round of the 1946 NFL Draft.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tyler Olander was (maybe still is?) a pitcher in the Toronto organization. Did he play baseball at UConn too? I don't think so.

Tyler didn’t play baseball for UConn and tore his achilles in 2018 just before Toronto’s spring camp and pretty sure he hasn’t made his way back to the mound.

Reaction Score
I always found very tall pitchers easier to hit because you get such a long look at the ball in their hand. I remember when I was in high school Newtown had this pitcher who must have been 6’10+, I think he was also the QB on their football team, I must have batted .800 vs this kid.
What year would that have been? I went to high school there and don't remember anyone quite that tall. We had Randy Gunther who played football at UConn and was also on the basketball team his freshman year but he was more like 6'7 or 6'8. He was a defensive player in football though.

Reaction Score
AAC does have better baseball. Baseball season typically starts in mid February for college, and for UConn specifically those series are most 3-4 days in the south where it's warmer and the fields aren't covered in snow. Seems like it would be tough to make work
There no reason he couldn't be on a throwing program during basketball season and then join the baseball team for April- June

Reaction Score
I always found very tall pitchers easier to hit because you get such a long look at the ball in their hand. I remember when I was in high school Newtown had this pitcher who must have been 6’10+, I think he was also the QB on their football team, I must have batted .800 vs this kid.
They say if randy Johnson wasn’t so tall he might have reached his full potential, he couldn’t figure out how to keep people from seeing the ball for so long out of his hand. Lol

Reaction Score
Tyler didn’t play baseball for UConn and tore his achilles in 2018 just before Toronto’s spring camp and pretty sure he hasn’t made his way back to the mound.
Yes. I saw he's been released.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure he also had a scholarship offer to play QB at Notre Dame. He was incredible. Never pitched for UConn that I recall, but he did play a little minor league baseball.
Not sure about ND, but pretty confident the very talented QB Scott was recruited by Penn State.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
How about John Shea? Was he on both teams, baseball & basketball?

Reaction Score
in before palatine says if we'd stayed in the aac he'd be ours cause it has better baseball than the BE (maybe? idk anything about college baseball). does the baseball season start in/before march? how would that work?
What?? the kids priority is BASKETBALL, we r a better option as a BE team then an AAC team.

Reaction Score
What?? the kids priority is BASKETBALL, we r a better option as a BE team then an AAC team.
of course, he's in denial about the BE

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did you also score four touchdowns in a single game while playing for Polk High?
This is a dumb question. I didn't play football, but doesn't someone score 4 touchdowns in a game all the time in HS football? Or was that part of the joke? I was never quite sure how many layers of humor went into Married With Children. In particular, that running joke.

Reaction Score
If TJ's priority is basketball, his parents, or someone in his camp has grossly led him astray or is completely misguided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom