Time to raise the rims... | The Boneyard

Time to raise the rims...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Back in the day I remember Dr J jumping that high when he was at UMass while playing UConn. I remember his waist being just below the necks of the UConn defenders. He was unbelievable to watch. Rumor was that he could pick a dime off of the top of the backboard.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They could have raised the rims long ago perhaps.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah but can he shoot the ball? Great all that jumping but that doesn't make you a great BBall player. Aka KW.

He’s going to be a useful player, but he’s not great - just transferred to Memphis, I think.

I give him credit…he knows what he is. He tries to dunk everything - he’s taken one 3 in two years.

Reaction Score
Yeah but can he shoot the ball? Great all that jumping but that doesn't make you a great BBall player. Aka KW.

Maybe he will leap with the ball cupped head first through the rim and dunk his entire body? :)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The original claim of a guy being able to place a quarter on top of the backboard came from Rucker games in the early 1960's. Drawing a blank on his name (will loom it up later) but was a 6'3"-6'4" guard that played NYC HS ball basically the same time as Connie Hawkins, and supposedly blocked Wilt in a summer game. Legend has it that four guys had to hold Wilt back while he ran away because Wilt wanted to kill him for doing that. Hawkins claimed Wilt dunked on him repeatedly (and nearly broke his arm a few times) immediately after that.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Michael Wilson (also Memphis) came to mind thinking of unreal verts. I tried to find some decent video but it's all grainy as heck. He was a freak.

Reaction Score
The original claim of a guy being able to place a quarter on top of the backboard came from Rucker games in the early 1960's. Drawing a blank on his name (will loom it up later) but was a 6'3"-6'4" guard that played NYC HS ball basically the same time as Connie Hawkins, and supposedly blocked Wilt in a summer game. Legend has it that four guys had to hold Wilt back while he ran away because Wilt wanted to kill him for doing that. Hawkins claimed Wilt dunked on him repeatedly (and nearly broke his arm a few times) immediately after that.
Was it Earl ‘The Goat’ Manigault? I remember an HBO movie about him starring Don Cheadle (sp)

Reaction Score
Earl The Goat Manigault. He was maybe 6 feet tall.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Earl The Goat Manigault. He was maybe 6 feet tall.
Not him. The Goat was a bit younger, a contemporary of Kareem (when he was still Alcindor). Kareem said Manigault was the best ball handler and shooter he ever saw.

Reaction Score
Not him. The Goat was a bit younger, a contemporary of Kareem (when he was still Alcindor). Kareem said Manigault was the best ball handler and shooter he ever saw.
Jumpin' Jackie Jackson

Reaction Score
Jameel Pugh kid had anywhere from a 44-50” vertical and was called the best dunker in the world coming out of high school. He was only 6’4 and could easily dunk with his elbow through the he rim

Vince Carter stole 2 of his dunks for the dunk contest

Reaction Score
It was a guy named Helicopter, real NYC legend. Didn't see him do that but he was the real deal. Of course that was before cell phones, but we all knew about him back then.

Reaction Score
Back in the day I remember Dr J jumping that high when he was at UMass while playing UConn. I remember his waist being just below the necks of the UConn defenders. He was unbelievable to watch. Rumor was that he could pick a dime off of the top of the backboard.
And make change on the way down

Reaction Score
I think it was David Thompson you are thinking of with that feat....
Herman "Helicopter" Knowlings
Ben Franklin (Harlem, N.Y.)
One of many streetball stars who attended Ben Franklin, 'Cop was better known for putting in work up at the Rucker. At one time, only Earl Manigault was a bigger name. At 6-foot-5, he could sky, and legend has it he once swatted the shots on three pros on a single possession. He's best known for hanging in the air. "When I was in 9th grade, I saw the Helicopter, with my own two eyes, pick a quarter off the top of the backboard to win a bet, and I was in complete shock," said former NBA all-star Bernard King.

Reaction Score
He was under 6' so has to be urban legend
Could easily dunk though… 2-handed, no steps.

Sure looked like Andrew Wiggins was looking down on the rim last series. Hoping AJ was watching.

Reaction Score
Jackie Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01