Time to have a discussion | The Boneyard

Time to have a discussion

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Dee is 38, will be 39, Sue is 40; Lindsey is retired
Seimone, Angel and Elena could and did double as guards...

That was the 2016 Olympics roster

Is it time for a changing of the guard (pun not intended)?
Or at least the addition of the two wunderkind, fearless young woman.
who may very well be the backbone of future Olympic teams, as far as the eye can see.

I don't think there is stage large enough to unnerve them.
They are (both) two of the most skilled guards in the history of the game (already).

And we've seen enough, eyes don't deceive, regardless of whom advances.

It's time for a serious discussion...And you can bet your bottom dollars
Dawn and the committee are having it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is no one who has supported Moriah more than I did (look it up)
But in the pros (sadly) she has shown to be of unsound body.
There is the possibility, that like Morgan, we will not see the best of her again.
How about Crystal Dangerfield.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I was so looking forward to seeing Moriah as a pro, and her body has not yet allowed that. We all knew Morgan was on borrowed time, but Moriah had seemed indestructible until she graduated.

Sue and DT are going - don't think USA would deny them unless they are unfit. But USA will have at least 2 more guards and maybe more.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The USNT has recently made a point of putting (or trying to) 1 college player on the team - usually an upperclassman who is obviously really good. It will be interesting to see what happens going forward. The entire USNT is either aging, or prone to injuries. Bird, Taurasi, Fowles, DelleDonne, Augustus, etc.

I have no idea what they do. The committee did Catchings a favor by adding her in her last season - she was last off the bench and likely would have been left off the team if not for her history and leadership.

I think they need to look hard at Ionescu, Clark and Bueckers as the future for the guards. Maybe a few others. Stewie and Wilson are the future in the front court.

Reaction Score
Sue and DT had a good summer in the wubble. No signs of slowing down for either two, especially with the extensions they just signed. So I expect them to be in Tokyo on the court.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The USNT has recently made a point of putting (or trying to) 1 college player on the team - usually an upperclassman who is obviously really good. It will be interesting to see what happens going forward. The entire USNT is either aging, or prone to injuries. Bird, Taurasi, Fowles, DelleDonne, Augustus, etc.

I have no idea what they do. The committee did Catchings a favor by adding her in her last season - she was last off the bench and likely would have been left off the team if not for her history and leadership.

I think they need to look hard at Ionescu, Clark and Bueckers as the future for the guards. Maybe a few others. Stewie and Wilson are the future in the front court.
The USNT has not however grabbed freshman/sophomores for their teams - they have grabbed juniors/seniors/graduates. I don't see either Clark or Paige until possibly the WC in 2022. There are enough really good young pros at guard to choose from before getting into the very young college ranks.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Dee s 38, will be 39, Sue is 40; Lindsey is retired
Seimone, Angel and Elena could and did double as guards...

That was the 2016 Olympics roster

Is it time for a changing of the guard (pun not intended)?
Or at least the addition of the two wunderkind, fearless young woman.
who may very well be the backbone of future Olympic teams, as far as the eye can see.

I don't think there is stage large enough to unnerve them.
They are (both) two of the most skilled guards in the history of the game (already).

And we've seen enough, eyes don't deceives, regardless of whom advances.

It's time for a serious discussion...And you can bet your bottom dollars
Dawn and the committee are having it.
Sue and DT still are playing quite well and should be safe bets for 2021. Ionescu likely nabs a spot and maybe someone like Chelsea Gray to add more youth to the roster (although Gray isn't particularly young). Whalen, Moore and Catchings open up at least 3 spots at guard/SF for the team.

IMO, 2016 Olympians at risk of not returning are Tina Charles, Angel McCoughtry, Seimone Augustus and Brittney Griner. Charles didn't play well her last pro season, sat out last year and I'm not sure if she is or isnt at Olympic level anymore. Augustus skillwise isn't there anymore. Angel is still solid but I could see her getting beat out by someone younger. And Griner's effort/attitude/dedication are big question marks IMO.

With anywhere from 4-7 spots to fill, my guess is players like Chelsea Gray, Skylar Diggins, A'ja Wilson, Sabrina Ionescu, Arike Ogunbowale, and Napheesa Collier likely claim roster spots.

Long term I think PG looks very solid with players Ionescu, Clark, Bueckers, Owusu and Johnson in the pipeline. I could also see Pao Pao emerging as an excellent WNBA/USA basketball point guard. Traditionally it has been the weakest position for USA basketball but it looks very strong going forward.

Reaction Score
I don't think the national team was done any favors by not having a young guard on the 16 Olympic team. I figured it would be the last cycle for all four but Bird and Taurasi have earned the right to come back and play unless they are injured.

I don't see Augustus or McCoughtry on the team. Charles and Fowles are both question marks. Griner will be on the team if she wishes. I think Diggins, Ionescu, Gray will be the other guards added with Taurasi and Bird. Griner, Stewart, Wilson, EDD are locks at forwards if able. Collier may wind up being added as well. That would leave some open spots and I will be curious to see who gets the nods.

USA Basketball has proven to be a very political organization and the depth of talent for the Americans means someone who is deserving will always be left out. It's likely another team of 12 players could be picked and still wind up winning a medal so it really comes down to fit and personalities.

Bueckers and Clark could very well wind up being superb national team guards someday but their youth makes both extreme long shots to get consideration.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sue and DT still are playing quite well and should be safe bets for 2021. Ionescu likely nabs a spot and maybe someone like Chelsea Gray to add more youth to the roster (although Gray isn't particularly young). Whalen, Moore and Catchings open up at least 3 spots at guard/SF for the team.

IMO, 2016 Olympians at risk of not returning are Tina Charles, Angel McCoughtry, Seimone Augustus and Brittney Griner. Charles didn't play well her last pro season, sat out last year and I'm not sure if she is or isnt at Olympic level anymore. Augustus skillwise isn't there anymore. Angel is still solid but I could see her getting beat out by someone younger. And Griner's effort/attitude/dedication are big question marks IMO.

With anywhere from 4-7 spots to fill, my guess is players like Chelsea Gray, Skylar Diggins, A'ja Wilson, Sabrina Ionescu, Arike Ogunbowale, and Napheesa Collier likely claim roster spots.

Long term I think PG looks very solid with players Ionescu, Clark, Bueckers, Owusu and Johnson in the pipeline. I could also see Pao Pao emerging as an excellent WNBA/USA basketball point guard. Traditionally it has been the weakest position for USA basketball but it looks very strong going forward.
Did you mistype? Or were you referring to the backups? Sue and Dee are arguably the best guard combo in the history of women's basketball. So I would argue NOT traditionally the weakest position.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Did you mistype? Or were you referring to the backups? Sue and Dee are arguably the best guard combo in the history of women's basketball. So I would argue NOT traditionally the weakest position.

I meant in regards to depth. The sheer amount of talent at the guard positions has paled in comparison to the level of depth and talent at 3-5 spots.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Moriah is the top lead guard now.
No. Can't say healthy and has done basically nothing for 3 years. Shouldnt even be in the pool for the National Team.

Reaction Score
If there is one current college player to be added to the National team, it will be Aliyah Boston. While Coach Staley is not officially part of the National Team player selection committee, you just know she will use all her influence to make it happen.

As to guards, I thnk Vandersloot, Chelsea Gery, and Sabrina are likely to join DT and Sue. Paige has certainly put in time with USA basketball and they like to reward that. Her time will come, but probably not in 2021.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Clarendon, Loyd, and Plum were the 'young' guards on the 2018 WC team.

The current NT Pool also includes: Atkins, Canada, DeShields, Diggins-Smith, Allisha Gray, Chelsea Gray, Hayes, McBride, Tiff Mitchell, Ogunbowale, Sykes, Jas Thomas, and Wiese.

They also list: Colier (G/F), Kahleah Cooper(F/G), EDD (G/F) McCoughtry (G/F), Samuelson(G/F), and they list Kelsey Mitchell (F)!!

Sabrina is not yet in the pool which seems a little odd - how is her recovery going?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Clarendon, Loyd, and Plum were the 'young' guards on the 2018 WC team.
I was in Tenerife for the 2018 WC. Loyd eventually settled down and played pretty well, especially defensively. Clarendon and Plum looked terrified.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom