2020 Recruiting: - Tibet Gorener | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Tibet Gorener

Reaction Score
According to this Article from 247 Sports, UConn has reached out to Tibet Gorener, a 6'8" Forward from Turkey, who played his last two years of high school ball in California.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Nice looking player. Doesn’t fit the team identity coach is building.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Yep. Nice stroke and good size. Ok athletically. I wonder like @UConnRock w/ Polley comp, whether he can rebound consistently as a stretch 4. I watched the Nov 19 Renaissance Academy v Orange Lutheran highlights. Orange Lutheran was spanked but Gorener seems to score fairly easily. Really nice stroke. It was concerning that Renaissance had there way with Gorener down low in those few clips. All in all, he'll play P5 somewhere.

Reaction Score

Not sure if you can watch highlights without a hudl log in or not.

Reaction Score
Nice looking player. Doesn’t fit the team identity coach is building.
sounds like it's down to zona and creighton anyways, but why isnt he a fit?

a 6'8 shooter ranked #109 in the 247 composite is exactly the kind of player we need. i know hurley said it's about more than the rankings so what about his personality is a red flag?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
sounds like it's down to zona and creighton anyways, but why isnt he a fit?

a 6'8 shooter ranked #109 in the 247 composite is exactly the kind of player we need. i know hurley said it's about more than the rankings so what about his personality is a red flag?
I don’t think that statement meant that everyone we don’t put the full press on has a bad personality....

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If the virus isn’t controlled, foreign players, no matter how talented, are in a different boat. Right now we are even restricting Canadian travel.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I would prefer a kid like this (stylistically) to another 5 right now.

but it seems like we are late to the game with this kid.

Reaction Score
I think everyone is late to the party on this kid. He seems like a late bloomer and an unknown since he’s just moved to the states. He may just prefer. Creighton and Arizona

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think everyone is late to the party on this kid. He seems like a late bloomer and an unknown since he’s just moved to the states. He may just prefer. Creighton and Arizona

Hard to argue with Arizona with Miller’s work with Markanen.

Reaction Score
I was clearly taking about Toughness. Look at these kids we’ve been targeting. They are gang rebounders, tough kids.

Totally agree Hurley is looking for tough revounders. Between Jackson, Martin, Bouk and Whaley rebounding may finally he a strength of ours.

But How do you know Tibet isn't tough enough for this team? The film posted on here doesn't show much, and the stats seem fine. I know he played for Montverde at hoophall last year. Did you see him then?

Averaged 8 per game in the 4 hudl highlights I posted.

6.0 in the 2018 u16 tourney
2.0 in the u18s last summer. (which is, admittedly terrible.)

That comes out to 5.0 a game in a 16 game sample. Not a lot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope he comes here and the NCAA doesn’t declare him eligible for a long time.....

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Totally agree Hurley is looking for tough revounders. Between Jackson, Martin, Bouk and Whaley rebounding may finally he a strength of ours.

But How do you know Tibet isn't tough enough for this team? The film posted on here doesn't show much, and the stats seem fine. I know he played for Montverde at hoophall last year. Did you see him then?

Averaged 8 per game in the 4 hudl highlights I posted.

6.0 in the 2018 u16 tourney
2.0 in the u18s last summer. (which is, admittedly terrible.)

That comes out to 5.0 a game in a 16 game sample. Not a lot.
The kids scouting report doesn’t mention rebounding. Yes like any other 6’7 high school kid he can rebound at that level.

Reaction Score
The kids scouting report doesn’t mention rebounding. Yes like any other 6’7 high school kid he can rebound at that level.

From the article at the top of this thread

"The four-star athlete is young for the 2020 class – he could easily be a 2021 prospect - and is an outstanding perimeter shooter with a high basketball IQ who has improved his ball skills and rebounding."

Not the greatest endorsement by any means. But it would probably start to explain the recent high major interest if he has improved recently.

Not a lot on his defensive ability. I'd like to see a little bit more on that.

Reaction Score
I don’t know enough anything about him besides what is in this thread. Maybe he’s not a fit. I don’t know. Here’s the thing: I’m not sure tall, athletic stretch 4s who can shoot, rebound, and defend are that readily available. We might have to take a guy who is a shooter and either coach up his defense and rebounding, or use him as a role player. I’m not sure Polley would be considered a Hurley player, but nobody is trying to drive him out of the program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom