Thoughts on outdoor pizza ovens | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on outdoor pizza ovens

Reaction Score
I've been eyeing down an outdoor pizza oven for a while now and fortunately won an instagram giveaway for a $500 Ooni gift card and a bunch of pizza ingredients. I ended up getting the Ooni Karu but was wondering if anyone here has an Ooni or any other pizza oven and what your thoughts are on it. Anyone have any good dough recipes and tips that they wanna share?

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Interested in the Ooni Koda but an concerned that the legs could get extremely hot. Would I need to get a stainless table? Thanks.

Reaction Score
I have a Koda 16 on a granite slab table....gas...no patience for wood. Purchased from Amazon.

...The Koda 16 stone is thickish and large
....I buy Tipo 00 flour...the Delllalo Pizza dough kit in packs of 10 on Amazon...
....A "turning peel" is essential...cooks in a couple of minutes and U must rotate
....We make them thin...and we make them chewy, depending on mood.
....San Marzano tomatoes used for sauce base
....toppings kept simple

I have just fired it up again after a prolonged absence ...We had two neighbor couples on the porch and drank wine and ate pizza...the Koda will put out three pizzas in a hurry....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's leaf pick up day today, so that means I need a ton of calories to keep the energy up.

At 11, I started to get hungry and grilled a pizza on my Weber and I'm really happy with the results. Crispy crust, gooey cheese. Can't name drop any top notch brands due to my gluten intolerance, but good nonetheless!

Attachments

• IMG_7057.JPG
    IMG_7057.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 189
  • IMG_7058.JPG
    IMG_7058.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 185

MTHusky

Reaction Score
It's leaf pick up day today, so that means I need a ton of calories to keep the energy up.

At 11, I started to get hungry and grilled a pizza on my Weber and I'm really happy with the results. Crispy crust, gooey cheese. Can't name drop any top notch brands due to my gluten intolerance, but good nonetheless!
IMG_20200407_172455413Cropped.jpg

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I wanted a Rocbox/Gozney, but money wise, it was better for us to get a Camp Chef burner, 14", that holds a pizza oven, grill box (substitute for gas grill) as we already have a BGE. The burner also lets us make paella outside in a larger pan than our stove can handle.

Reaction Score
Interested in the Ooni Koda but an concerned that the legs could get extremely hot. Would I need to get a stainless table? Thanks.
The legs don’t get hot, but the undercarriage does. I have mine on a glass table outside with a piece of 18”x18” tile on it.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I wanted a Rocbox/Gozney, but money wise, it was better for us to get a Camp Chef burner, 14", that holds a pizza oven, grill box (substitute for gas grill) as we already have a BGE. The burner also lets us make paella outside in a larger pan than our stove can handle.
How are the pies on it? Got a Camp Chef Woodwind this summer that I love and I have the side burner, been eyeing the pizza attachment... as much as I like the idea of an Ooni, I’d probably give this a shot first.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
How are the pies on it? Got a Camp Chef Woodwind this summer that I love and I have the side burner, been eyeing the pizza attachment... as much as I like the idea of an Ooni, I’d probably give this a shot first.

As long as you watch the temp, don't pile ingredients on dough, and clean off the stone b/w cooking pies, it works well. It's probably not as efficient as the Rocbox, but for the # of times per year we make pizza, it was a good choice for us. If we were making za once a week, I might splurge on the Roc. The other consideration for us was space, as our lanai is not that large.

MTHusky

Reaction Score
Looks great, @MTHusky and crap, I miss Montana.
I miss it also, well, except for shoveling snow. Lived there 15 years and loved it. Moved to the So. Oregon coast which is beautiful also, but healthcare is pretty much nonexistent. Just returned from a 1 month trip to Mayo for a # of things including radiation for Prostate cancer.

MTHusky

Reaction Score
The legs don’t get hot, but the undercarriage does. I have mine on a glass table outside with a piece of 18”x18” tile on it.
Good idea, we already have the glass table. Thanks

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score

ive got the camp chef pizza oven. Maybe ive run it 3 times. 700 seems to be the desired temp. Solid pizza machine for the price.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Let's refire this thread. I have the itch to buy an Ooni and the Fyra looks like the one for us. Since I am hoping to buy a Recteq smoker later in the summer/fall that requires wood pellets, the Fyra seems logical.

Cold-fermented dough is something I want to make, too. Sounds pretty easy.

Are Oonis sold in local stores?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
2022 update - we pre ordered a Gozney Dome last year, took forever to get here, but now that we have it, worth the wait. It’s dual fuel - propane & wood, but we’re sticking to propane for now to get our pie making skills in order, as cooking with wood fire is a different challenge. I’ve been using the Gozney sourdough recipe, 250g dough balls makes a nice thin crust 10”.

Reaction Score
I've been wanting to build one with brick and a few pavers.. thought this video was pretty interesting, and I'm sure there are a few ways you could jazz it up to make it look nicer / build it into a larger outdoor grill station. When I get some time during my next stretch of paternity leave I want to mock up a design on SketchUp

Reaction Score
I have a DiFiore oven. Forget store bought dough. I have a sourdough starter that is 10 years old. my dough is best with a 3 day cold ferment. PM me if you want to discuss. Sorry but I could not get the picture to rotate.

30A714AD-212A-4610-968A-94BE1DF6AB8C.jpeg
FACDDC71-60DF-444D-9ACE-6C6715D3F7CE.jpeg

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
ive got the camp chef pizza oven. Maybe ive run it 3 times. 700 seems to be the desired temp. Solid pizza machine for the price.
I finally did get the camp chef pizza oven and took it on its maiden voyage last week… I need to get used to it. First two pies, deck was a little hot and bottoms were starting to scorch a bit before it was cooked, so I had to dome the pies to get them to cook through without burning. But then settled in to a nice rhythm for the pies afterwards. Used store bought dough from a local bakery but will look to make my own dough next time.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I just got the Ooni Fyre. It's powered by wood pellets and I have a pellet stove.

Pros: It's sleek, cool and compact. Doesn't take up much room. Gets to 900 degrees in 15 minutes.

Cons: It's not as simple as sliding a sheet pan into an oven. It is on the small side and is very hot so you need to monitor it, rotate your pie and learn the oven. It also took a little learnin' to get it lit and stay lit at that temp.

First attempt was a disaster. Dough ripped while rotating it. Burned all over the place. Next attempt was much better and the last attempt you could really see the potential of this thing. It does give you a chewy crisp that a conventional oven (even with a pizza stone) doesn't give you at 450-500 degrees.
I double Deeps comments as my experience was exactly the same. One thing I will add is I love a little burn/black in my pizza crust and this oven does deliver that

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
like that punching fish guy sez -even a toddler can make one.
this 6 minute vid is 4 minutes too long.

mebbe a 20 minute build from stuff kicking around, or things u can pick up off the ground. i use fieldstone.
pro tip 1: spend a minute or two thinking aboot the air circulation for both the draft, and the flow across the za/bread/ cowboy ribeye, etc.
pro tip 2: at $180 a ton retail nowadays, don't steal ur neighbors stones from their wall. they'll call the cops on you.

wood fired ovens -50,000+ years in action, and counting.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain what cold fermentation is? I've heard the New Haven restaurants do it, but is it just making the dough and putting it in the fridge to rise vs. leaving it on the counter?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Can someone explain what cold fermentation is? I've heard the New Haven restaurants do it, but is it just making the dough and putting it in the fridge to rise vs. leaving it on the counter?
Fridge for days

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I finally did get the camp chef pizza oven and took it on its maiden voyage last week… I need to get used to it. First two pies, deck was a little hot and bottoms were starting to scorch a bit before it was cooked, so I had to dome the pies to get them to cook through without burning. But then settled in to a nice rhythm for the pies afterwards. Used store bought dough from a local bakery but will look to make my own dough next time.

Ran 12 pies through it yesterday and found that 600-625 is the preferred temp range for a thin pie. Minimal sauce was important as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom