This team | The Boneyard

This team

Reaction Score
This team is special. I've been saying for a while I think it has the chance to be the best UConn team ever. No matter what happens from here on out this team will always be special. There's an opportunity to win 8 more games now to lay claim to that throne.

I'm arguing/discussing with people on this board about realignment and what our place is. Our place is we have the best basketball program in the country. We're wrapped up in our UConn fandom critiquing every little thing about our play, where we fit in, and celebrating every amazing thing about our play. The rest of the college basketball fans/world are saying holy sh^^ this team is good.

I guess my point is enjoy the hell out of this because it's not normal...

Half the fans here are older than me and they've seen everything. I'm old enough to have seen us since Calhoun started turning us into a giant in those early years and this is the best stretch of basketball I've ever seen us play. There were fans who thought we were done and there were other fans who thought we would have
get back to being great but our experience as UConn fans has been incredibly unique. There's been insane peaks and valleys and no program in the country has dealt with the cr@p that's been thown our way.

I keep stressing, enjoy this. I did when it was rolling in the 90's and 2000's but I'm not sure appreciated it like it should've been appreciated. I'm bathing in it right now. I had my doubts we would be rolling like this again and we're rolling harder than we ever have before.

No matter what happens from here on out this team is special. They've had three goals all season. One is accomplished, the other one can be accomplished the day after St. Pat's, the third happens in early April. Hurley and the team have been open and confident about expressing those goals. As fans let's make sure we fully appreciate the trip. It doesn't really get better than this.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This team is special. I've been saying for a while I think it has the chance to be the best UConn team ever. No matter what happens from here on out this team will always be special. There's an opportunity to win 8 more games now to lay claim to that throne.

I'm arguing/discussing with people on this board about realignment and what our place is. Our place is we have the best basketball program in the country. We're wrapped up in our UConn fandom critiquing every little thing about our play, where we fit in, and celebrating every amazing thing about our play. The rest of the college basketball fans/world are saying holy sh^^ this team is good.

I guess my point is enjoy the hell out of this because it's not normal...

Half the fans here are older than me and they've seen everything. I'm old enough to have seen us since Calhoun started turning us into a giant in those early years and this is the best stretch of basketball I've ever seen us play. There were fans who thought we were done and there were other fans who thought we would have
get back to being great but our experience as UConn fans has been incredibly unique. There's been insane peaks and valleys and no program in the country has dealt with the cr@p that's been thown our way.

I keep stressing, enjoy this. I did when it was rolling in the 90's and 2000's but I'm not sure appreciated it like it should've been appreciated. I'm bathing in it right now. I had my doubts we would be rolling like this again and we're rolling harder than we ever have before.

No matter what happens from here on out this team is special. They've had three goals all season. One is accomplished, the other one can be accomplished the day after St. Pat's, the third happens in early April. Hurley and the team have been open and confident about expressing those goals. As fans let's make sure we fully appreciate the trip. It doesn't really get better than this.
If you've got time, make an editing change to 9 more wins.

This post is somewhat late night sloppy and repeats itself, but I forgive all of that (unless you want to edit some more), because it's clear that you are as exuberantly excited as I am about the same thing I'm seeing. It's all you say

Reaction Score
If you've got time, make an editing change to 9 more wins.

This post is somewhat late night sloppy and repeats itself, but I forgive all of that (unless you want to edit some more), because it's clear that you are as exuberantly excited as I am about the same thing I'm seeing. It's all you say
It's 12 hours of drinking, I'm sure it's a mess but it's authentic

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Between the double-digit dominance in last year‘s Dance and the gorgeous hoop played this year it’s been amazing. Even when down big the team has shown both stubborn will and focus, and they ain’t been down much. They darn near came back to win at Kansas after a horrendous start, and were coming back against Creighton, only stopped by Creighton playing their best game of the year.

Enjoy the ride this year. Obviously anything can happen, but they'll be strong favorites in both upcoming tournaments. There is a very small number of teams that can hope to compete when UConn is on their game.

Reaction Score
The rest of America wasn’t ready for last year’s team that went 13-7 in conference play, and this team went 18-2 in a what was a stronger conference than it was last year.

We are just as big a threat from 3, have more guys who can run the offense, we are nearly as deep, again have a killer one-two punch at the 5, and have the championship pedigree. Everyone should be terrified.

Reaction Score
The rest of America wasn’t ready for last year’s team that went 13-7 in conference play, and this team went 18-2 in a what was a stronger conference than it was last year.

We are just as big a threat from 3, have more guys who can run the offense, we are nearly as deep, again have a killer one-two punch at the 5, and have the championship pedigree. Everyone should be terrified.
All true, except we aren't nearly as deep. Think about the scoring we had come off the bench last year. Come tournament time, this year we will have Diarra and Johnson.

Reaction Score
Great post.
This level of success doesn't come around to everyone. As a fan to be able to go to a game or sit down at the TV and always feel that your team has a really good chance of winning. Every game! We are very lucky.

I hated the slow start last night, but every Husky had a confidence and composure about them. They don't get rattled easily and they communicate well. The comeback was inevitable.

I remember Geno, talking to the media (during the dominant years), saying we make it look easy, but it is not easy.

And it seems that there is a growing sentiment of jealous haters among our competition. Always smells of dominance.

Reaction Score
We’ve never had a team that had so many BBIQ players. So many different ways to score but last night until we took the foot off the gas with not many minutes left they had 44 points. Hurley stresses defense and one of the announcers brought up Bob Sr. last night as a big factor in helping Danny.
Never a guarantee in tourneys, and we all have an unpleasant memory of 2006, 86-84. But I just looked at that roster and this years team is better on both offense and defense.
It’s just a tremendous team and it’s the best and most fun regular season I have ever experienced. And….our coaching staff has done this high pressure stuff before, they know how to prep for these games.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What I personally believe makes this team unique (and very difficult to plan for) is that any one of our five starters can have a game where he stops 25 on a very good opponent; we could have a game where any two could hit 20 points or any three could surpass 15.

Add to this that six different players have led the team in scoring this season (Samson did it once) and we assist a higher percentage of our baskets than most schools gives any opponent a load to prepare for.

Reaction Score
All true, except we aren't nearly as deep. Think about the scoring we had come off the bench last year. Come tournament time, this year we will have Diarra and Johnson.
I guess the real point I was trying to make in a more concise statement is that we again have so minimal drop off after the starters start coming off the floor. Last year we at times almost went in hockey lines; and sure, by raw numbers of guys Hurley could trust out there, we had more bodies. I attribute that to that team being more experienced with Allyene and Joey on the bench along with Diarra, as opposed to Jalen and Solo. (Side note, I feel for Solo and how little he’s played lately)

This year, it’s more a rotation of different lineups, with it being uncommon for more than 1-2 guys to sub in at a time. But the drop off between lineups is still so little

Poe

Reaction Score
There is no weak link in the starting 5, we throw out 3 point guards with size AND all-round ability to score/rebound/pass/control the game; a 4 shooting 50/40/90, that can also bring the ball up the court, knock down 3s a high clip and cut to the basket like another; and a monster at the 5 who changes the game on offense and defense just by his presence on the court not to mention his actual super efficient production.

The “weakness” unbelievably might be the short bench, with only Hassan and Samson, but they are no slouches and they contribute and play like starters when they’re in the game.

Not sure I’ve ever seen a team like this, particularly a starting 5 like this. Can’t wait to see what they can do now in crunch time.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The last two seasons this team has been the gift that keeps on giving. What a ride. Often hard to express the joy they have given me. It's the team aspect (unity/unselfishness) more than anything I think that has made them so special to me. From the staff to all the players, fans and former players. Add the BY and all the fans and the other things like last night Hurley talking to Carter at length and our team making a point to go over and wish Hopkins well in his recovery. That was respect paid to some worthy opponents. It was great to see Hopkins break out into a big smile.

Reaction Score
The tournament is brutal and it only takes one hot opponent playing out of their minds to end the dream, so let’s not get too gitty. There is a lot of work to do and if we make it all the way through, understand we have been spoiled beyond measure watching rarities occur with unusual abundance.

Reaction Score
The last two seasons this team has been the gift that keeps on giving. What a ride. Often hard to express the joy they have given me. It's the team aspect (unity/unselfishness) more than anything I think that has made them so special to me. From the staff to all the players, fans and former players. Add the BY and all the fans and the other things like last night Hurley talking to Carter at length and our team making a point to go over and wish Hopkins well in his recovery. That was respect paid to some worthy opponents. It was great to see Hopkins break out into a big smile.
At the end of the day, it’s just fun basketball to watch.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There is no weak link in the starting 5, we throw out 3 point guards with size AND all-round ability to score/rebound/pass/control the game; a 4 shooting 50/40/90, that can also bring the ball up the court, knock down 3s a high clip and cut to the basket like another; and a monster at the 5 who changes the game on offense and defense just by his presence on the court not to mention his actual super efficient production.

The “weakness” unbelievably might be the short bench, with only Hassan and Samson, but they are no slouches and they contribute and play like starters when they’re in the game.

Not sure I’ve ever seen a team like this, particularly a starting 5 like this. Can’t wait to see what they can do now in crunch time.
And yet we have one thing we didn’t have last season - someone (Stewart) to spell Alex without much drop off on defense.

Last season we had Hassan for defense and Joey for offense. This year’s version of Hassan accomplishes both roles.

We needed the longer bench last season to compensate for Andre’s offensive scoring weakness. Steph is equal or better on defense to Andre but much better on offense.

Cam is much better at ball handling and passing than Hawk although slightly worse on d. But makes up for it with his better bb IQ.

Imo this year’s team is better than last. In my dreams I could not have imagined this happening.

Reaction Score
The tournament is brutal and it only takes one hot opponent playing out of their minds to end the dream, so let’s not get too gitty. There is a lot of work to do and if we make it all the way through, understand we have been spoiled beyond measure watching rarities occur with unusual abundance.
Great post, 100%

Reaction Score
We know what we all want at the end of the year, and im not saying we should waver from our expectations or not critique things because we do have a standard of excellence because this team has those standards, but enjoy the process and enjoy the moment.

The older you get the more you have to enjoy the moment and live in the moment.

Reaction Score
I agree this team is special; possibly our best ever. More of the story to be written... Enjoying the ride... Consider me grateful....

Reaction Score
Last year team's bench (with seasoned players Nahiem and Joey) provided more outside shooting, but this year's starting five are better shooters as a group than last year's starters. When Diarra and SJ come in, the outside shooting slack has been maintained by starters who remain in the game. And besides bringing in defensive intensity (Diarra on the ball) and SJ (with some blocks), they bring in other forms of offensive attack (Diarra with drives to the basket and SJ with lob/dunks). And the Freshman Stewart is showing some potential to break out as well.

The last two years surely have provided an extended stretch of low-stress enjoyment of winning team basketball and solidification of UConn as a blue blood program. I've been watching long enough to recall when making a Final Four was the goal, suffering greatly through Elite Eight and other tournament losses. NCAA losses to Florida, Mississippi State and UCLA remain in my mind. It's a pleasure reading the recent threads of appreciation.

It's hard to believe that the Seton Hall game at Gampel is probably Donovan Clingan's last game there! He, Alex, Tristen, Cam and Steph and the rest have a been such a joy to watch!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom