This team is loaded | Page 3 | The Boneyard

This team is loaded

Reaction Score
Three big keys to success for this team in my opinion -

1) consistency from AJax and Gaff.

2) Sanogo’s ability to stay out of foul trouble, and play well against guys his own size.

3) scoring in transition (We were almost dead last in all of D1 last year in transition scoring). With our shot blocking, defense, and athleticism, we should be able to get some decent scoring off the break/secondary break.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My only fear right now is if we stop running our stuff and start resorting to hero ball if we get frustrated when the occasional lid on the basket comes. We have more answers now and can afford to be patient.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Not sure when (or why) I signed up for these notifications, but here you go...
nov 18.PNG

Reaction Score
Central, Coppin State and LIU. Have we looked great? Yes. But mostly what we've seen is confirmation of all the things that we thought were our strengths being there. Depth. Size. Athleticism. Cohesiveness. All great.

We have not yet had a chance to see if what we feared might hold us back might hold us back. Outside shooting. A perimeter player who can take someone one on one and hit a big shot. A consistent go to scorer against top level competition. (And no, nothing Sanogo has done yet has proved that). A half court offense that isn't offensive.

I'm not saying this team can't be really, really good. I'm not saying we shouldn't be pleased with how we looked. We could be and I am. But let's see what we look like in the Bahamas and then talk about how great we are. Because I don't think we've learned nearly as much about this team from these opponents as some of you seem to.
Well said.

Reaction Score
Some of you need to pump the brakes. Not saying we aren't better than last year, but we haven't played ANYONE yet. We'll know the potential of this team after Battle 4 Atlantis.
Agree 100%

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What I see different in this years team from last years is better team chemistry and less watching and waiting for the star to take over. They seem to genuinely enjoy playing & supporting each other.
The Ewing Theory was born from UConn's season after Donyell. And you know what they call UConn's season after Cliff? The Dream Season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ill add this. We are definitely better than we were at this time last year. But we should be. We are a very veteran squad.
And you know something? We will be a veteran squad next year, too. And the year after that...

Reaction Score
@NDakotaHusky Very veteran. In fact, in terms of “minutes returning,” we are 7th in the country, with 78.6% of our minutes from last year retuning.
That's one of my points. We are ready to go on day one. A veteran squad from a major conf rolling a small school who is also inexperienced isn't that big of a deal. The blowouts are fun, but I'm largely unmoved. We were supposed to roll them.

Reaction Score
And you know something? We will be a veteran squad next year, too. And the year after that...
Good to know. We will have no issues with the Coppin States and the LIUs of the world.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
While acknowledging the obvious that we haven't played a good team, and won't until Auburn, there are some facts that provide ample reason for hope.
1. Attitude and intensity, especially on defense. This team is nasty and intimidating. They want to demolish you with blocks, steals and dunks.
2. Pace. I'm sure these teams wanted to slow down, but after years of promises, we finally have a squad that looks to run and push the pace. We definitely have the athletes and depth to do it.
3. Shooting. The question marks: Martin, Akok have shown so far they can hit 3s. Jackson got on the board as well last night. Hawkins is a further weapon.

Most teams, even good teams, don't look like they are firing on all cylinders to start the season. No matter who they play.

Reaction Score
I get why some people are being more cautious; but this team is long, deep, athletic and plays defense with a purpose. That translates to any of our opponents, whether it is LIU or Gonzaga - that's what gets me excited.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Along with defensive adjustments, those constant fresh legs wore down Kante big time in the second half.
Yes, and he also admitted he loved his mom's cooking and he transferred to LIU so he could be near her cooking! DH figured that one out. If he got in shape he would be an even bigger beast. He had some pretty good moves for a guy that size. Tremendous upper body strength.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Screenshot_20211119-120631.png

I didn't want to make a new thread for this so I'll just stick it here. Torvik has UConn 12th in the latest t-rankings. Obviously the best rankings.

Reaction Score
View attachment 71122
I didn't want to make a new thread for this so I'll just stick it here. Torvik has UConn 12th in the latest t-rankings. Obviously the best rankings.

Us over 'Nova seems a stretch right now, but I ain't complaining.

Also exciting to see Seton Hall at #18, Xavier at #30

Providence @ 50
SJU @ 56
Creighton 82
Butler 95
Marquette 98
Depaul 99

Georgetown currently the dumpster of the conference at 143.

So far, this seems like a decent year for the big east, though maybe not great. Good shot at 4 tourney teams, and everything else ranked 100 or better except for Georgetown. Can't complain about that, though elevating the middle of the conference to the 30s and 40s would obviously be ideal and good for the health of the conference overall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom