This Isn't Working | Page 7 | The Boneyard

This Isn't Working

Reaction Score
I've seen zero progress in our program so far with Mora. I take that back we have gained in PR... but with actual football play none. Especially after seeing CCSU lose to Scared Heart and Utah State absolutely destroyed by an FCS team. Mora outside of PR has shown absolutely nothing any anyone who says otherwise is looking at things through rose-colored glasses. The QB position is just as crappy as under HCRE 2.0 .... the defense is just as inept ... the OC play calling is the same .. the defense looks no different vs. a competent team... the results are the same.

This team lost its top three WRs, its fastest RB, its starting QB, and its best pass rusher.

And you don't see progress? Hhmmmmm, interesting observation.

Reaction Score
I'm not in agreement here. If you look just at the quality of the balls being thrown, they are off. They are late or are never thrown at all. The fumble was inexcusable and indicative of the lack of poise that isn't going to suddenly appear after any number of games. If it was the receivers, there would be more drops or route mistakes. The staff is obviously limiting the risk because they see the same thing and are either hoping it works out because they think there is upside or they don't think there are better options. Even the analyst in last night's broadcast was wondering out loud how long Mora can stick with Turner. We keep hearing about injuries, but Millen played quite a bit. We have no official word on Tyler Phommachanh that I'm aware of.

We started this season being told by many here that all these guys are close. If that's the case we should be playing them because the play has been unacceptable, even for us.
Turner went 14 for 17 yesterday. One would think it’s hard to make the case that his accuracy was the dominant problem.

Reaction Score
We are never going to competitive with these major football programs until we get much bigger athletes
From the stands, the comparison was even more apparent than it likely was on TV.

Reaction Score
Turner went 14 for 17 yesterday. One would think it’s hard to make the case that his accuracy was the dominant problem.

No ball went more than 10 yards downfield. It was all swing passes with a couple slants. And many of those were not accurate. I don't think we can rule out accuracy as his dominate problem. But the list of problems is pretty long. There are many contenders, we really can't rule out anything.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
After the next three beatdowns, I just hope we have enough left to manage a win over FIU, Mass and/or Balls State.
I had to leave at halftime last night. The cheers of the Syracuse fans were more depressing than the game itself.
Injuries could be a real problem the next few weeks. We are seriously undersized and under experienced compared to these teams. I hope we have enough gas left in the tank to finish the season after we go through that gauntlet.

Reaction Score
Granted the injuries but one thing that strikes me for a roster with a 50% turnover: Nearly all our best players are returnees. Carter and Brewton are our best RB’s, our three top receivers are injuried returnee guys. Mitchell is by far our best defensive guy. The defense really misses Jones. The offensive line may be an exception, showing better run blocking than pass protection though. Still our best OL is returnee Haynes.
We took in over 40 new guys and not one has stood out thus far except the guy from Bristol on his late game run against Central. It is early, but one thing is very clear, we need to upgrade our recruit talent evaluations. No one has jumped off the page and passed the eye test.
I guess it is hard to jump off the page as a transfer starting QB if you get hurt in the 1st quarter of the 1st game of the season. How many of the 20 something freshman did you expect to stand out so far? 8 tackles is pretty good by Bouyer-Randle. Seems like the kid playing center is standing out pretty well.

Reaction Score
I don’t expect Zion to be much better than he is. I just don’t think he has what it takes to maximize the potential of this team. We need someone faster.

Yes, Zion was a good scrambler in high school and I was thrilled to get him. I am in South Florida and knew all about his exploits. Unfortunately, this isn’t high school. His ability to scramble isn’t what Tyler Phommachanh’s is and according to our own coaches, not as good as Millen’s either. So, we either bang our heads against the wall all season or try a QB with more speed. That doesn’t mean anything in regard to Zion’s long term prospects, just that we are depleted of receivers and aren’t giving the QB much time when he drops back. Maybe, one of the other guys is better equipped for this temporary situation.
Actually ZT has more than enough time, according to PFF we rated 90.7 as a unit during pass blocking . I think ZT is just not fast going through his reads and progressions. If you look at all his INTs if he would’ve thrown the ball a bit quicker to the receiver it’s a reception/TD. His decision making is hurting the offense.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Didn’t Cuse go 1-10 during 2020?
I was certain they were going to fire Babers after that year. I had never seen a worse Syracuse team. Guess they’re glad they stuck with him.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Actually ZT has more than enough time, according to PFF we rated 90.7 as a unit during pass blocking . I think ZT is just not fast going through his reads and progressions. If you look at all his INTs if he would’ve thrown the ball a bit quicker to the receiver it’s a reception/TD. His decision making is hurting the offense.
He does not see pressure very quickly. You can see it coming and he stands there like a statue.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Bowl game?
I have a feeling that @shizzle787’s bowl game must be pretty solid. ;)

1662916163383.jpeg

Reaction Score
I guess it is hard to jump off the page as a transfer starting QB if you get hurt in the 1st quarter of the 1st game of the season. How many of the 20 something freshman did you expect to stand out so far? 8 tackles is pretty good by Bouyer-Randle. Seems like the kid playing center is standing out pretty well.
I agree on Randle. I did acknowledge the OL on running plays. The passing issue is tough to sort out between the QB, receivers not getting separation and pass rush. The QB in part due to height has to roll out to see the field well and that makes blocking difficult too.

Reaction Score
I thought he did okay against Utah State and CCSU. Not sure what his stats have been but the short passes and TD passes I saw him throw were on the mark. Not too shabby for a freshman QB who was not expecting to be asked to shoulder the offense. I’d like to see Charlton give him the green light to run a little more too.

Reaction Score
I’m just going to point out…. One more time. Zion Turner is the only 100% healthy QB we have.

Millen can’t make the throws with his injury, and I don’t think they want to send up Puma against Mich/NC State/Fresno.

I hope we keep recruiting at least 2 QBs a season going forward. I don’t think what we need is on the roster just yet.

Reaction Score
I’m not one who believes playing a true freshman is necessarily a good thing for future development. In fact I still believe that Boyle never recovered from his early outings. Unless a guy is exceptional, he learns more by watching film, watching games maybe getting a rep or 2 in a blowout. I think it is very likely that Millen and Puma are not 100%. Because if they are, we need to try them.

Reaction Score
I’m not one who believes playing a true freshman is necessarily a good thing for future development. In fact I still believe that Boyle never recovered from his early outings. Unless a guy is exceptional, he learns more by watching film, watching games maybe getting a rep or 2 in a blowout. I think it is very likely that Millen and Puma are not 100%. Because if they are, we need to try them.

we know for a fact they are not. Millen, is good for some wildcat plays but he can’t throw a reliable ball just yet.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Millen a bit more. He looked OK to me in the first two games. How did he look last night? I happened to have another obligation and could not watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom