'This is gonna be her year': UConn eager to have a fully healthy Caroline Ducharme | The Boneyard

'This is gonna be her year': UConn eager to have a fully healthy Caroline Ducharme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hope she does the kid hasn't gotten a break since high school, she's always had an injury or something. I pray she has a full year of perfect health and can reach her potential....But then again that's my prayer for the whole squad...maybe I should have started before Jana went to FIBA oh well it's never too late...Perfect health and an NC !!

Reaction Score
Was disappointed in the lack of new info/quotes. I guess the writers have to continue to make content and they really on had one media availability this summer. But it felt like a hodgepodge of quotes to write what the author feels. Maybe a bit cynical on my part. But I'm a fan of CD.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm hopeful CD will return to the form she exhibited before her injuries...........unfortunately she's one elbow to the head away from being back in street clothes.........fingers crossed.....
Caroline could very easily be the “wild card” in UConn’s success this season.

Reaction Score
I have always said that Caroline is my favorite player. I likened her to Katie Lou, same size, same skills and same devotion to the game. Some naysayers said no way like Katie Lou. This is the year she will be the reincarnation of Katie Lou in every way. Watch and enjoy the flowering of another Uconn Huskie great. As long as Caroline remains injury free, she will dominate. Caroline was unstoppable in high school and she will be unstoppable this year, HER YEAR to show who she is.CO CAROLINE!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
I have always said that Caroline is my favorite player. I likened her to Katie Lou, same size, same skills and same devotion to the game. Some naysayers said no way like Katie Lou. This is the year she will be the reincarnation of Katie Lou in every way. Watch and enjoy the flowering of another Uconn Husky great. As long as Caroline remains injury free, she will dominate. Caroline was unstoppable in high school and she will be unstoppable this year, HER YEAR to show who she is.CO CAROLINE!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!
If she is indeed back to 100%, she will have to be extremely careful and wary as will the UConn coaches. Teams will be gunning for her. Certain other teams and coaches will try to remove her from the game. They will stop at nothing with the rough play, body pivoting elbows to the head, body slammed under the basket etc. I can see certain opposing coaches using a utility player or two to accomplish this, even if the utility players are tossed and suspended and CD is out for 8 weeks with another concussion. The opposing coach will have accomplished their goal.

Reaction Score
I wish we'd hear that Caroline Ducharme will be wearing head protection in practices and games!
I'd rather be safe than sorry even if it's a pain in the butt to wear!
As stated Caroline is one serious wack in the head from being out a long time!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Caroline struck me as mature for her age when she arrived. She's handled her injuries with grace. I'd love to see her complete game for a complete season and NCAAs.

To @RSHERMVIKES: head gear is no panachea. Your brain gets whacked on your skull with head protection too.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Agree with Rocky. OYOH, the Q Collar is now FDA-approved for concussion prevention. I’d love to see Caroline wearing one.

Reaction Score
Caroline struck me as mature for her age when she arrived. She's handled her injuries with grace. I'd love to see her complete game for a complete season and NCAAs.

To @RSHERMVIKES: head gear is no panachea. Your brain gets whacked on your skull with head protection too.
RockyMblue2- - -Yes I know, but if it cuts the impact in 1/2 or so it's better than direct contact!

Carnac

Reaction Score
I wish we'd hear that Caroline Ducharme will be wearing head protection in practices and games!
I'd rather be safe than sorry even if it's a pain in the butt to wear!
As stated Caroline is one serious wack in the head from being out a long time!
Agreed. She can’t wear one in a game, but she can during practice.

Reaction Score
I'm hopeful CD will return to the form she exhibited before her injuries...........unfortunately she's one elbow to the head away from being back in street clothes.........fingers crossed.....
With all the major injury issues with Paige and Azzi, those for Caroline could be the worst of the three. The reason as has been pointed out before is there is no rehab for concussions. Rest, not exercising, not doing something to get better, avoiding bright lights and noise etc. If you have another injury, you can at least work out the other parts of your body until you can actively rehab the affected part.

With concussions it is just a constant deterioration while waiting until you can go full tilt again, and then a period to catch up. Caroline's history is missing a significant number of games when she does get a major hit to the head, and then being nowhere close to 100% after coming back for quite some time.

We all hope for the best, but I remember soon after Caroline blew up in a half dozen games after Paige's injury against Notre Dame, I thought we would be seeing three great years from a lineup with Paige, Azzi and Caroline at the 1,2 and 3 respectively. All three hugely impacted by injuries is very hard to take.

By my calculations Paige and Azzi have never played together when both were healthy. In the last two years Paige was only healthy the first six games of 21/22, and that whole season Azzi had foot issues. Azzi has also had only six healthy games in the last two years, namely the first six last year, when of course Paige was not available, and Azzi played like an All American. In a way it is similar with Caroline. We didn't see Caroline's A game until Paige was injured two years ago and of course Azzi was still having foot issues that season. Then last year Azzi was healthy for the first six but Caroline wasn't.

So going into their third year on campus together we haven't been able to see any of those three play with either of the other two when both were healthy at the same time. That is almost beyond comprehension, and while concern about ongoing issues from those injuries is a valid concern and worry, the hope and expectations with those players if healthy is equally valid because they haven't been able to show yet what they are capable of in combination at full strength.

Reaction Score
Agreed. She can’t wear one in a game, but she can during practice.
Carnac- - -Why can't she wear a protective headgear in a game?
Players wear different styles of masks for facial damage!
They're padded so they don't threaten opposing players!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Add me to the list of people who wish she's wear a thin foam head protector. It doesn't have to be big and bulky, but anything that can help protect her would be a good thing.

We've seen flashes of what she can do when healthy AND confident - I think part of the challenge in coming back from any injury is not only physical, but mental. Not worrying about getting injured, and just getting on the floor and playing. Rooting so hard for a healthy year for her (and the rest of the team)!!!

Reaction Score
I have always said that Caroline is my favorite player. I likened her to Katie Lou, same size, same skills and same devotion to the game. Some naysayers said no way like Katie Lou. This is the year she will be the reincarnation of Katie Lou in every way. Watch and enjoy the flowering of another Uconn Husky great. As long as Caroline remains injury free, she will dominate. Caroline was unstoppable in high school and she will be unstoppable this year, HER YEAR to show who she is.CO CAROLINE!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!
Ok, that would be fine with me!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carnac- - -Why can't she wear a protective headgear in a game?
Players wear different styles of masks for facial damage!
They're padded so they don't threaten opposing players!
I’m assuming it’s against NCAA rules and regulations. I don’t ever recall seeing or hearing of a player wearing protective headgear in a regulation game. If someone knows otherwise, please respond.

Reaction Score
I’m assuming it’s against NCAA rules and regulations. I don’t ever recall seeing or hearing of a player wearing protective headgear in a regulation game. If someone knows otherwise, please respond.
These articles from 2013-14 explain the NCAA position on soft headgear. I find nothing that suggests anything has changed in the rules.

Reaction Score
If she is indeed back to 100%, she will have to be extremely careful and wary as will the UConn coaches. Teams will be gunning for her. Certain other teams and coaches will try to remove her from the game. They will stop at nothing with the rough play, body pivoting elbows to the head, body slammed under the basket etc. I can see certain opposing coaches using a utility player or two to accomplish this, even if the utility players are tossed and suspended and CD is out for 8 weeks with another concussion. The opposing coach will have accomplished their goal.
You have quite a cynical view of people. While there are (very few) coaches/players who will stop at nothing to win, this is not a widespread thing. Some coaches advocate physical play, but to purposely injure a player (especially the brain) is beyond the pale and most know that.

Reaction Score
So going into their third year on campus together we haven't been able to see any of those three play with either of the other two when both were healthy at the same time. That is almost beyond comprehension...
That's incredible, and borders on the bizarre. Hopefully, this will be their year for a healthy and happy season. Not only do the injuries impact their performance on the floor, they really detract from their overall enjoyment of life. This should be their time to be on top of the world after countless hours of hard work while growing up to get themselves near the pinnacle. There's still time, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom