Things to do to keep from going crazy | The Boneyard

Things to do to keep from going crazy

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Being a techy nerd my whole life I have found a new hobby, I put up/am putting up network video cameras in the woods to capture the critters. My interest was piqued a few months ago when a bear (apparently) tipped over our garbage container and took the bags. Since then I have 2 cameras mounted on trees and a third going up today.
I see the normal local 'folk', opossums, raccoons, deer, a big owl, foxes (they have a den close to the camera I'm putting up today) and Smokey the Bear. I have infrared lights up for nighttime viewing.
Here are a few interesting clips, enjoy and take your mind off 'stuff'!

Raccoon too big to be a meal for hawk (it's actually an owl not a hawk)

Closeup of 2 small deer in the woods

Squirrel just misses being lunch for a hawk

Bear caught on camera in woods

Reaction Score
Go to explore.org - There are over 100 streams of animals and nature closeup. I have been watching ospreys and puffins in Maine. Example: the Maine ospreys should be arriving on or about April 11th. One can watch their arrival, egg watch, hatching, and feeding of hatchlings plus an abundance of information.

I have the streams on constantly while I'm working, going from one stream to another. Relaxing and educational - birds, seals, bears, Africa, orcas, shark and the list goes on

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have several other interest that I like to pursue when time permits. I love to play backgammon. I've been playing since I was 19. I mostly play on-line. Sometimes against others, sometimes against the computer. I like to get in 6-10 games a day to stay sharp. If you really want to kill some time, you can enter into a match with a live opponent. If you play chess, checkers, backgammon or other board or card games, I suggest you go to "zone.msn.com" and choose a game that's right for you. If you want a good chess game, there are folks there that will give you one. This is a FREE site. You will not be asked for money. Check it out. Enjoy. :)

I've also found some old free western movies on youtube that I've never seen, so I'm filling in some time with those. Most of them are free. They have the nerve to charge for some of the old popular westerns like Clint Walker's "Fort Dobbs and Yellowstone Kelly", and lots of others. I only watch the free ones of which there are plenty! I watched "Yuma" starring Clint Walker last week, loved it. I highlighted westerns on youtube, but of course there are many other genres featured there as well.

Another FREE source for movies is tubi. tubi is the best kept secret in the free world for free movies. tubi has hundreds of titles in 34 different genres. For example, Youtube wants a fee to watch Kenny Rogers' The Gambler. You can watch it for free on tubi. They place a quick 15 second commercial in the movie from time to time to keep them free. Are you a fan of John Wayne's Red River (1948)? It was produced in B&W. tubi has it in color. Whoever did the restoration and colorization did an excellent job!! The picture quality is excellent. Enjoy. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hang in there, all. I've decided to watch all of the NCAA tournament games from seasons that ended in a championship. At one game a day, that's two months of happiness! My takeaway so far is that the 2000 team was wonderful. Shea was a beast; Svet was better than EVERYONE; Bird was Bird, even then; and Asjha, Tamika, and Swin were a ridiculously talented trio. Asjha, Tamika, Bam-Bam, Sauer, and Kennitra Johnson (she of the band-aid) came off the bench. Off the bench! I stole a peek at DT's first game, but will not watch anything else from 2001. On to '02!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Being a techy nerd my whole life I have found a new hobby, I put up/am putting up network video cameras in the woods to capture the critters. My interest was piqued a few months ago when a bear (apparently) tipped over our garbage container and took the bags. Since then I have 2 cameras mounted on trees and a third going up today.
I see the normal local 'folk', opossums, raccoons, deer, a big owl, foxes (they have a den close to the camera I'm putting up today) and Smokey the Bear. I have infrared lights up for nighttime viewing.

hey! up ur game! in the 'bear and me" vid, around 0:35, a small critter (chipmunk?) comes flying towards you. they do don't normally do that, unless they're wacko, or, there is something coming from the other direction that they know is a bigger threat than you.
jes sayin.'

Carnac

Reaction Score
Hang in there, all. I've decided to watch all of the NCAA tournament games from seasons that ended in a championship. At one game a day, that's two months of happiness! My takeaway so far is that the 2000 team was wonderful. Shea was a beast; Svet was better than EVERYONE; Bird was Bird, even then; and Asjha, Tamika, and Swin were a ridiculously talented trio. Asjha, Tamika, Bam-Bam, Sauer, and Kennitra Johnson (she of the band-aid) came off the bench. Off the bench! I stole a peek at DT's first game, but will not watch anything else from 2001. On to '02!

Glad you have found something to occupy your waking hours. I spoke to my brother today who retired from Kaiser Permenente. Kaiser is a major HMO with lots of hospitals and medical offices (and millions of members) in California. He told me that he spoke with a former co-worker this morning, and they said that at best, they don’t expect to get a significant handle on this pandemic until the end of July. THE END Of JULY!!

That’s coming from a medical professional that’s directly involved in the recognition, treatment and prevention of this virus. August 1st is 4 months from now. If the time table that person projected is accurate, there will be no MLB, NHL or NBA before then.

The Olympic Games will be postponed, probably until next year. What happens if any of those leagues jump the gun and resume play, and just one of their players gets infected? Then what? :eek: If this was a 400 meter race (once around the track), we left the blocks about 10 days ago, and are now approaching the first turn. We've got a l-o-n-g way to go before THIS race is over. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well.....I still have a business to run. I got to get 1000 acres of hay planted, exactly 476 head of cattle and calves to take care unless the coyotes got one, and natural gas, the real thing, still being pumped from the ground. Although, I physically do not do this anymore, and thank God, I have my former Gunnery Sargent and his family, who has been with me for 20 years doing this with and for me. He has two fine grown sons, both college graduates, running this ranch. So, everyday, strength willing, he drives me around sections of this ranch. He is my partner and he earned and owns 500 acres of the original 5000 original acres. When I am not doing this, I reload ammunition; ride Gracie, and listen to my wife which is an art all by itself.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Well.....I still have a business to run. I got to get 1000 acres of hay planted, exactly 476 head of cattle and calves to take care unless the coyotes got one, and natural gas, the real thing, still being pumped from the ground. Although, I physically do not do this anymore, and thank God, I have my former Gunnery Sargent and his family, who has been with me for 20 years doing this with and for me. He has two fine grown sons, both college graduates, running this ranch. So, everyday, strength willing, he drives me around sections of this ranch. He is my partner and he earned and owns 500 acres of the original 5000 original acres. When I am not doing this, I reload ammunition; ride Gracie, and listen to my wife which is an art all by itself.

Ahh......VOD, you’ve got a witness. I’m coming up on a milestone wedding anniversary in November. I’ve learned lots of things during that time. One of them is to listen to my wife. I put her right up there with E.F. Hutton. Whether we (men) will admit it or not, women have powers of observation and perception that men simply don’t have. Yes, it is an art that is developed over time. How many times have our wives suggested a course of action that we decided not to follow, that turned out to be correct and in our best interest? :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually one of the best things one can do to profitably use time is to read the Boneyard. This the 4th thread I am replying to currently. There is one about the past, there is one about recommending books to read, and my major one is Films worth viewing. In this thread I review films I find worthy of consideration. I am in the 2nd year. I reviewed 236 the first year. I try to provide a number of options from silents to recent releases. I search for free streaming options. Just today I learned about a new free streaming option tubi reading this thread.

Long live the Boneyard.

Reaction Score

Thanks for posting these. Very interesting.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
hey! up ur game! in the 'bear and me" vid, around 0:35, a small critter (chipmunk?) comes flying towards you. they do don't normally do that, unless they're wacko, or, there is something coming from the other direction that they know is a bigger threat than you.
jes sayin.'
Good catch :) Chippy is flying towards the camera & his hole (my dog tried digging him up on one trip). I was coming from the left further away from the camera.

Reaction Score
I can't get out to my plot until April 15th so as soon as the weather permits I'll get out in the yard. In the meantime my better half and I play cards, watch reruns, I go onto coin auctions online (R.E. Edwards in Ohio is the best), and do some pulleys. Time passes more quickly than you think. The main thing is to stay safe. Sometimes, when we get bored we get a little careless in our movements. Please don't. Even if you have to watch that re-run of Gunsmoke for the seventeenth time in a row and hear Chester say "Golly, Mr. Dillon."

Reaction Score
Ahh......VOD, you’ve got a witness. I’m coming up on a milestone wedding anniversary in November. I’ve learned lots of things during that time. One of them is to listen to my wife. I put her right up there with E.F. Hutton. Whether we (men) will admit it or not, women have powers of observation and perception that men don’t have. Yes, it is an art that is developed over time. How many times have our wives suggested a course of action that we decided not to follow, that turned out to be correct? :confused:
[/QUOTE You listen to your wife Carnac? You might be the first. According to my wife and all her friends no man listens to his wife.

Carnac

Reaction Score

YES!!! I listen to mine..........................regularly! :D E.F. Hutton II. She's been right too many times in the past for me not to. A couple of times it cost me some money. :confused:

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Earlier today I received a pair of custom reamers I’d ordered a few months ago. They’re for making a wooden flute. I made a set of reamers myself and a prototype flute a year ago. They worked, but didn’t cut well, and the flute plays great, so I had a set made professionally.

I’m teleworking, but have an extra hour or two a day free, so I’ll be using the extra time to finish another flute.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Earlier today I received a pair of custom reamers I’d ordered a few months ago. They’re for making a wooden flute. I made a set of reamers myself and a prototype flute a year ago. They worked, but didn’t cut well, and the flute plays great, so I had a set made professionally.

I’m teleworking, but have an extra hour or two a day free, so I’ll be using the extra time to finish another flute.
cool. what kind of wood is used for the flute?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For @Steelerone and other Ken Burns/history/documentary fans, got this on my Facebook page today:

297FAE15-FB79-49EA-9596-B7CECAD88432.jpeg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Coursera has tons of free online courses. I'm taking the History of Modern Israel now, taught by professors from the University of Tel Aviv.

Speaking of opera, you can stream a new opera every night from the Met. It's pretty great on TV. We've only watched one all the way through but we have incorporated watching the overtures into our nightly ritual.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Actually one of the best things one can do to profitably use time is to read the Boneyard. This the 4th thread I am replying to currently. There is one about the past, there is one about recommending books to read, and my major one is Films worth viewing. In this thread I review films I find worthy of consideration. I am in the 2nd year. I reviewed 236 the first year. I try to provide a number of options from silents to recent releases. I search for free streaming options. Just today I learned about a new free streaming option tubi reading this thread.

Long live the Boneyard.
From your handle, I’d think maybe you’d be a homebrewer?

I just placed an order for brewing supplies, but evidently I’m not the first. They’re backed up. No matter, I have a couple batches of sour that need to stay in the carboys at least another month.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
cool. what kind of wood is used for the flute?

For R&D I use wood from trees I (or a friend) have cut down, either dogwood or cherry. For real instruments, it’s usually tropical hardwoods or boxwood. This was mostly rosewoods till CITES began requiring permits to ship internationally (rescinded last November). So I’ve discovered a bunch of new woods in the last couple of years. The most important thing, especially for pennywhistles, is it needs to be high density, fine-grained, and hard.

Reaction Score
From your handle, I’d think maybe you’d be a homebrewer?

I just placed an order for brewing supplies, but evidently I’m not the first. They’re backed up. No matter, I have a couple batches of sour that need to stay in the carboys at least another month.
Many years ago when I was a graduate student at Yale. Several of us brewed both beer and cider.

Reaction Score
For @Steelerone and other Ken Burns/history/documentary fans, got this on my Facebook page today:

View attachment 52298
Thank you Nan. I've watched this two times already but with the time on our hands will happily watch it again. FDR is one of my personal heros. They should have a course dedicated to he and Eleanor in every classroom to show people just how adversity can not only be overcome but make you stronger.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom