The View From Section 241 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As I sip my first cup of tea on Sunday morning, the first thing that goes through my mind is not to overreact to that game. We played what might have been the best team on our schedule, and we lost 10-7 in a game that was statistically very close but for turnovers. Our defense was, for the second straight week, close to perfect -- this time against a much better foe. Our special teams played very well, and outplayed the other side overall, but just didn't make any big plays. And our offense sucked. Was it a lack of execution by our players? Was it horrific scheming and play calling by the staff? Was it still suffering from a lack of playmakers on this side of the ball when P took over? Yes, yes and yes. We got badly outcoached, but that was far from all that went wrong with the O. We can still win a lot of games on that basis if we just simplify the offense and make less mistakes. This team can still go 8-4 or 9-3, but it will not do it pretending we have Donovan McNabb at QB. It can do it the way we did it in '10. Eliminate the mistakes on O and give the D a chance to win you the game without having to overcome 4 turnovers. Is out staff flexible enough to do that? We'll see. But, while I think the play calling on O was horrid, I don't think we fix our problems merely by changing coaching. Players still win and lose games. Our offensive players didn't execute, and there is a talent gap on that side of the ball.

Funny day weather wise. I thought fans were there early in the lots and the students were in their seats and ready to go early. But the crowd, while o.k., never came near taking over the game. Was it the crowd or early frustration on the lack of any offense? Don't know. The weather was supposed to be a factor, but I think I put my raincoat on 4 or 5 times during the game, but each time there was no more than a sprinkle before I took it off. Not a good thing that we can't sell out a game like this. NC State should be embarassed about the number of fans they brought. Baylor and Iowa State both did much better. But miscellaneous thoughts don't seem as important today, so let's get to the units.

On D, I think we did see more personnel in than you would have seen in the Edsall era. We played Norris off the bench at DE, and Pruitt (who played really well), McBride and Campenni with Wirth (who also played great) at DT. I saw Donohue spell Johnson at LB (didn' t see Ashiru or Vann from scrimmage). We saw Adams play at lot of the third safety in a 3-3-5 (which we played more than 4-3 to my eye), Mack played the nickel back in certain alignments and when Blidi was out and Mack played CB Stevenson took his role in the nickel. The defense, obviously, was great. Frankly, they were one play short of perfect. The one play, unfortunatealy, Blidi was out, Mack got burned badly on a third and long and that was the game. As someone who was pushing Mack to play last year, this, obviously, is why he didn't. I could ask why, with Blidi out, Mack was isolated on a third and long without any safety help, but the D was so unbelievably great it's hard to spend too much time asking why one play didn't go well. It was a great defensive effort, so great that's it is hard to single out individual players. Except one. I never thought Trevardo Williams would be as good as he's become. What a phenomonal game.

Our special teams play was really good. Coverage, kicking, punting, blocking, all executed well. No big returns but not a lot of opportunity. One thing to note -- the one time they tried to block a punt they had a much different unit on the line than normally. Smaller speed guys -- Williams, Foxx, Stevenson -- who I didn't see play normally were all put in next to each other on one side. One thing to keep an eye on later in the season.

On offense, let's start with personnel. I saw on the field 7 OL (both Cruz and Bullock got some run), both TEs, 5 WR (a cameo for Terbucky Jones along with Williams, David, Smith and Phillips), 2 TBs (Huppolyte showed a little burst on the one short passs he caught -- the first time with the ball in his hands I saw something in three years), 3 FBs (with Delorenzo lining up there in 3rd and long once or twice) and, including Michael Smith, 3 QBs. Pages have already been written about the O's failures on the Boneyard, but a few points. Geremy Davis doesn't seem to want to contest balls that the DB has a better, or equal, chance to get. He has to go for the ball regardless. John Delahunt has to hold onto the ball, and someone needs to figure out where Ryan Griffin has gone. They line him up all over the field (WR, H-back and TE) but actually look to throw to him -- not that I saw. The OL needs to figure out who its best five players are, stick with it and see if they can get a push one day. Michael Smith at QB -- I don't get why we'd do that with McCummings here. Deleone's attempt to fool the other team are juvenile. On 3rd and 1, when you line up a 210 pound TB at FB, does anyone in the stadium not know who is going to carry the ball? You think you can show a finesse play, lose it to a penalty, and run it again the next play? It was the worst called game that I have ever seen by a UConn OC. And yes, there is a difference between simple, conservative plays and stupid plays. One is a style -- a style you may not like but a style that doesn't keep a team from winning. Yesterday, Deleone kept us from winning. But having said that, I don't know how much better we are with a good OC. The players did not execute and I think there is a talent shortfall, inherited by P, on that side of the ball. (The McCombs bashing, however, has to stop. He may never be a great back -- probably won't be -- but the thought that he's keeping us from winning is dumb. He's fine)

The bottom line, to me, is this. With the offensive playcalling, and with the lack of offensive explosive playmakers, that was still a winnable game. Upperclassmen have to make plays when they have the opportunity. John Delahunt is a senior. He can't fumble the ball. Blidi is a senior. He can't plant his feet in the endzone and fail to down a punt inside the 3. Taylor Mack is a junior. You can play off a WR until you get your feet wet, but in a 3-0 game you simply can't get beat deep when you have no safety help. And the turnovers have to stop. If that means simplifying the playbook, fine. At some point, if that means going to JM, that can't be off the table (although I am far, far from asking for that). But the turnovers have to stop.

So a winnable game next week, but not an easy one on the road. Maryland has an offense we should be able to dominate defensively. Can our offense win the game? If not, can they keep from losing it? We'll see. But did losing by 3 points to the Wolfpack really change the equation? No, it didn't. Maryland does not have NC State's personnel. We just have to get it done.

Oh -- and it wouldn't hurt the team or the program any if a few thousand of us save the 12 hours they would otherwise spend on the boneyard this week complaining about the coaches and instead get in their cars and make a 24 hour trip to greater DC to support our team. I know I will.

Reaction Score
Pretty much agree with this whole post spot on.

Reaction Score
Hypolite only got in because 43 got hurt. Every coach in America rotates backs, not us.

Reaction Score
I think the part we all need ti focus on is the loss was a close one. It was a dismal performance on O, but despite that, it was a 3 point game. I am assuming it will get easier for me to accept as I distance myself from the game.

I completely forgot about that punt that should have been downed on the 1. Everyone in the stands was like, "What just happened?". Why would you sit in the end zone waiting to down a punt!?!?!?

Reaction Score
I think the part we all need ti focus on is the loss was a close one. It was a dismal performance on O, but despite that, it was a 3 point game. I am assuming it will get easier for me to accept as I distance myself from the game.

I completely forgot about that punt that should have been downed on the 1. Everyone in the stands was like, "What just happened?". Why would you sit in the end zone waiting to down a punt!?!?!?

That was, potentially, as key a play as there was in the game. If we pin them at the 2 there, good chance even without offense we go up early and the whole game is different if we're playing from ahead.

Reaction Score
Wait, you drink tea BL? I thought you'd be taking esspresso shots all day, every day!

....and I agree with your post too.

Reaction Score
"We can still win a lot of games on that basis if we just simplify the offense and make less mistakes."

That's it in a nutshell for me. I have grave concerns about Deleone and by inference P for having him there. This offense has gone from complicated to bizzare, and I am petrified that this guy thinks we can win on that side of the ball because he's smarter than everyone else.

Anyway. Defense is just a joy to watch. Williams and Smallwood are about as good as you will see in college football. The defense brought pressure regularly, but I almost never saw folks out of position. Hat's off to Brown on this. I saw Mack getting burned differently. It was a great throw under pressure and a great catch and run. Mack let the play get behind him, but he wasn't badly burned.

I hate to go there, but I am going to anyway. We win that game with an offense that grinds out 100 yards on the ground, get's a few play action passes, and dumps off a few very conservative passes underneath. McCombs is a fine back for what he is, but he cannot be the sole answer on the ground imho.

Oh, and Michael Smith as the wildcat QB and Whitmer as a WR is total and utter BS. I mean c'mon.....

Reaction Score
That was, potentially, as key a play as there was in the game. If we pin them at the 2 there, good chance even without offense we go up early and the whole game is different if we're playing from ahead.

The worst part was it wasn't just Wilson there! There were at least 2 other Husky's and the punt didn't get there quickly, so it's not like there was a time issue. And there were no NC State players around. That was just a horrible, horrible play.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Agree with all your football points.

One thing to nitpick though, "NC State should be embarassed about the number of fans they brought."

How do you figure that at all? We're a 12 hour drive from Raleigh and we're the least attractive road trip of the season.

On top of that, when we can only fill 34,000 into our home - which is at it's furthest, an hour and a half from any city in the state - for the premiere game at The Rent this season, how can we be ones to talk about any fanbase? That's embarrassing.

Reaction Score
Great summary. I think the two words "dink" and dunk" need to be part of this offense for a while. The way the D is playing, that will be enough to win most games.

Reaction Score
Nice summary BL. I think we will bounce back from this one, players will be pumped to take on Randy's "dream job". See you all in Section 2!

Reaction Score
I admit I left the stadium yesterday pretty disappointed. Then I started to re-watch the game this morning and couldn't get past UCONN offensive play #3.

Great defensive effort to start the game ... and great field position. And a great start to the first offensive series! McCombs for 5 up the middle. PA pass to Griffin for 4 ... great play call ... keeping them off balance and guessing. Now 3rd and 1 ... double TE, I formation, Williams in motion across the formation. NC State now has 11 players within 3 yards of scrimmage and nobody outside the ends.

WHY DO YOU HANDOFF TO A BACKUP TB LINED UP AS THE FB???? Through personnel and formation you drew all 11 NC State defenders to within 3 yards of scrimmage and 5 yards of the ball and you hand off to an upback and render 2 offensive players useless by the design of the play!

So ... you voluntarily create a scenario of 11 tacklers vs 8 blockers and you hand the ball off to a back-up TB who has career carries in the single digits. This play had no chance of succeeding against Savannah State!

An offensive game plan is supposed to create numerical advantages and isolation. PP was fuming as the players came off the field ... what the hell was he upset about? His coaching staff just schemed a numerical disadvantage and placed a player, who barely sees the field, in a very precarious situation. You could practice this play for a week and never have a successful outcome. I plan on watching the rest of the game this evening ... should I even bother?

Reaction Score
I admit I left the stadium yesterday pretty disappointed. Then I started to re-watch the game this morning and couldn't get past UCONN offensive play #3.

Great defensive effort to start the game ... and great field position. And a great start to the first offensive series! McCombs for 5 up the middle. PA pass to Griffin for 4 ... great play call ... keeping them off balance and guessing. Now 3rd and 1 ... double TE, I formation, Williams in motion across the formation. NC State now has 11 players within 3 yards of scrimmage and nobody outside the ends.

WHY DO YOU HANDOFF TO A BACKUP TB LINED UP AS THE FB???? Through personnel and formation you drew all 11 NC State defenders to within 3 yards of scrimmage and 5 yards of the ball and you hand off to an upback and render 2 offensive players useless by the design of the play!

So ... you voluntarily create a scenario of 11 tacklers vs 8 blockers and you hand the ball off to a back-up TB who has career carries in the single digits. This play had no chance of succeeding against Savannah State!

An offensive game plan is supposed to create numerical advantages and isolation. PP was fuming as the players came off the field ... what the hell was he upset about? His coaching staff just schemed a numerical disadvantage and placed a player, who barely sees the field, in a very precarious situation. You could practice this play for a week and never have a successful outcome. I plan on watching the rest of the game this evening ... should I even bother?

Not unless you want to anger yourself.

It was worse than 8 against 11 -- it was 8 against 11 where everyone knew if it was a run Hyppolite was getting the ball, because if McCombs was getting it Frank would have been in front of him to block.

Reaction Score
John Delahunt has to hold onto the ball, and someone needs to figure out where Ryan Griffin has gone. Deleone's attempt to fool the other team are juvenile.

The bottom line, to me, is this. With the offensive playcalling, and with the lack of offensive explosive playmakers, that was still a winnable game. Upperclassmen have to make plays when they have the opportunity. John Delahunt is a senior. He can't fumble the ball.
2x you single out Delahunt for a fumble. Yeah, he did, but it was after he caught a tipped ball and was turned around. He didn't lose this game. Blame goes to the OLine, Whitmer, and OC DeLeone.

What did work... short quick slants. Stop trying to go deep. The D reads your focus and is already there. DeLeone has to see that if I can. The OLine needs to get a mean streak.

Reaction Score
Nice post - Terrible thing is when you watch the tape you walk away thinking we could have won that game. Almost same feeing as the UNC game.

Defense was great, everyone contributed and I would like to repeat a shout out to the following:
58 Angelo Pruitt
91 Jessee Joseph
16 Byron Jones
22 Andrew (The Amazing Adams)

no need to include names for the last 4, if you don't know them by now....

Offense

We don't have short 5 or 6 yard pass plays designed for our TE's?
We can't give Lyle the odd break with Delorenzo or even the true freshman Williams (please don't give me this red shirt biz - its a long season and 43 can not take hits all season like he luckily did last year)?
QB coach, please teach Chad to cycle 2 or 3 receivers. At the end it was the stare down your prime option and we all know the end to that story as the season rolls along.

For me the loss was devestating for I was looking for 6 -0. But as a fan I'll suck it up. I was proud of the entire team and look forward to Maryland (trouble is a loss to two ACC teams would make he hit the pipe hard).

Reaction Score
We lost the game because our offense sucked. That having been said, we could have won the game despite our offense sucking if we made one or two less mistakes. And a Sr. TE who handles the ball three times a game has to be expected not to cough one of them up. That I stand by. And I'd bet you Delahunt feels the same way.

Williams not playing TB has nothing to do with keeping his redshirt. He's played both games on special teams.

Reaction Score
I don't see a lack of play-makers. I see a failure to properly utilize them. We over rotate our ski players and our QB is young and makes young QB mistakes. If you look at each INT this season, i think all but on was thrown into obvious double or triple coverage. He locks onto his receivers before the play begins (Lorenzen had the same issue). But these are the things young QBs do.

But if yo look at or pass plays, we often have multiple receivers open. The schemes leave me wanting. No delayed releases and minimum crossing routes...especially on 3rd and short to medium plays. The OC is way more qualified than I and he sees way more that I see....but damn he leaves me confused.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Oh -- and it wouldn't hurt the team or the program any if a few thousand of us save the 12 hours they would otherwise spend on the boneyard this week complaining about the coaches and instead get in their cars and make a 24 hour trip to greater DC to support our team. I know I will.

That's all fine and good for those slackers who only plan on spending 12 hours complaining about the coaches - but a guy like me who is aiming for about 36 hours of griping cannot be expected to give more than that.

Reaction Score
HCPP might have been a good hire 15 years ago. Needed a whole different prototype when Randy left. That was the opportunity to put some potency into the offense. Now it's just tired and old school zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Reaction Score
I don't see a lack of play-makers. I see a failure to properly utilize them. We over rotate our ski players and our QB is young and makes young QB mistakes. If you look at each INT this season, i think all but on was thrown into obvious double or triple coverage. He locks onto his receivers before the play begins (Lorenzen had the same issue). But these are the things young QBs do.

But if yo look at or pass plays, we often have multiple receivers open. The schemes leave me wanting. No delayed releases and minimum crossing routes...especially on 3rd and short to medium plays. The OC is way more qualified than I and he sees way more that I see....but damn he leaves me confused.

FWIW, I didn't see multiple open receivers for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom