The View From Section 241 -- Utah State | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Utah State

Reaction Score
Shorter and slightly different format this week because there is only so much that can be said.

1. This season sucks. Second straight week that I've had to call off my tailgate and go to the game by myself because you can't expect normal people to cook and eat in heavy rain. As if there isn't enough wrong with this season.

2. The few bright spots first. Roberson looked more competent than he had. Not great, by any means, but more competent. Mora says he will get better with time. Maybe he's right. And hats off to Cam Edwards, in his first serious roll, showing that he was more than up to it. Obviously without Houston's or Brewton's speed, but a really nice job. Nice to see Cam Ross look like the Cam Ross from 7 seasons ago before all the injuries. And nice to see the OL start dominating in the running attack like last year.

3. If you ever wanted proof that we can't have nice things, not counting the year we didn't play football that's twice in 3 or 4 seasons that we've marched down the field to score a TD to tie a game in the last minute, and not convert an extra point to actually tie it. Do normal people have to see their team do that once in a lifetime?

4. I don't understand how it is possible for a defense to give up 22 yards in 28 minutes, make one unbelievably hair-brained play (more on that in a minute) and then totally fall apart beyond possible levels of sucking and give up 34 points and almost 400 yards in just 32 minutes. How does one blown play change you from world beaters to brittle losers? I don't get it. This defense returned 9 starters (all 4 on the DL, Mitchell, both Safeties, Bell and Shearin) on Defense, and have a number of starters who play less than they did last year because folks are pushing them for playing time. This is not a talent problem. Effort? Mental? Coaching? Someone smarter than me will have to determine that, and obviously our defense couldn't compete in the SEC, but the reason we can't shut down mediocre teams at home is not that our talent level is down from last year when we totally throttled BC and Fresno at home and did a more than credible job against Liberty.

5. I don't like to spend a lot of time criticizing play calling when others do, because plays are called based on so much information we don't have, and I had no problem with Mora going for 1 and the tie at the end of the game, but this is a poorly coached team. It just is. The great play by Cam Ross for 35 yards to get our drive started was a great play because two WRs ran the same pattern to the same spot. How can that happen coming off a change of possession? The blocked extra point was blocked by someone who blocked 3 kicks last year and 1 this year, and he blocked it not with a great athletic play around the edge but by running through untouched while the man outside of him was blocked. How can the coaches not be ready for that specifically, or ever have the wide blocker think that if you have two men to block you block the outside guy and let the inside guy run by you? How many times did we try to return kickoffs and lose yardage from what we get for free at the 25? Athletes make mistakes (I see you Aaron Bagsby), and sometimes you're in position and a player or two fails, but even if someone was blown by for the long score at the end of the half, how in the world with Utah State only having 1 TO left can there possibly not be anyone deep to stop a 30 yard play from being a 70 yard TD? And, on the play before we scored, how in the world do you spend your last time out before seeing if the refs are going to stop the game anyone for minutes to see if Rosa got into the endzone? We not only used up our last TO, but left too much time on the clock for after we scored for Utah State to come down and kick a FG to win. That's what I assumed was going to happen, not being smart enough to anticipate that we'd let an inside defender run untouched to the kicker. This is a poorly coached team. And it's hard to imagine how we thought it was well coached last year (not counting the people who wanted a more wide open offense even though we didn't have the personnel to run one).

6. I see no reason to think we will be competitive with Rice on Saturday. Maybe someone will prove me wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

7. Did I say that this season sucks?

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I agree with every word and echo your sentiments regarding coaching. We have athletes, facilities, and the budget to compete. We need a new OC, a DC, and a special teams coach. I am still hoping Mora can pull this off, but my faith is waning.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Twice this year, at home, we gave up a late first half TD on long passes when the basic rule should have been don't let anyone get behind you. This is unacceptable at a HS level.

I'll add more when I get to my PC.

Reaction Score
Coaching…

How many times are we going to give suspect refs the opportunity to throw a PI flag because our DBs never turn their heads around? I was 10 yards from that PI call in the end zone that bailed out USU. I don’t think there was much contact, if any at all, but the inability to turn to the ball is all the ref needs to see to throw a flag vs. our secondary. It’s maddening…

Reaction Score
Agree on the coaching front. Many on here will argue that it's lack of talent. While there is truth to that, the overall coaching this year leaves a lot to be desired. We cannot afford any mid-season dismissals, but serious introspection needs to be done the minute the UMass game is over. Let's, at the very least, start with getting a full-time DC and a new OC. Sorry, Charlton is not proving anything to me with the play calling over 1 1/2 seasons. Outside of Caratan, special teams have been particularly poor this season. I know people have been critical of the O-line this year, for good reason, but I know the players love Sammis and he is well repsected in the industry. D-backs have been dreadful.

Reaction Score
To clear up one item, Mora admitted he blew the D call that gave up the closing half TD. That’s what happens when you are an HC and DC. Too much to manage. In cover 2 was insane with 40 seconds and 70 yards to go.

Reaction Score
To clear up one item, Mora admitted he blew the D call that gave up the closing half TD. That’s what happens when you are an HC and DC. Too much to manage. In cover 2 was insane with 40 seconds and 70 yards to go.
Whether he admits it or not, it was a beyond idiotic mistake. And one that, in all likelihood, turned the game around and led to a loss.

Reaction Score
Thanks BL for a great write up as usual. A couple of points.

Coaching matters. For example, Utah St. has a dedicated specials teams coach and a Sr. Special Teams Analyst, so Utah State devotes more resources to special teams than UConn. Not saying that caused the missed block, but Utah St. was moving around the guys on the end and #6 almost blocked a FG doing the same rush from the other side.

And, it's pretty clear, Mora needs a DC and I think that will happen and I do hope we spend some money on the position. As for Charlton, you have to give him a pass last year given all of the injuries to WRs and RBs as well as having to start a true freshman QB who did not play Spring football. Some of his play calling has been questionable, but this week's offense gives me hope. And, Roberson could be a solid, not spectacular QB. And, I don't think his speed has fully recovered from injury.

A quick comment on WR separation. When a DB is beaten by 1 to 2 yards, that's separation. When a WR is open by 10 yards, that's either scheme or blown coverage. What happened at the end of the half is not excusable. It was a totally blown coverage when UConn should have been in a prevent defense.

Hope for this week? I'll give you this. Their QB, JT Daniels, is not a running QB as he has not had positive rushing yards in any game this season or in any season he has played. His career longest run is 20 yards. Plus, as a team they are averaging 2.5 YPC rushing this season. That said, Daniels is experienced and a good passer and he has 5 WRs that are averaging over 15 yards per catch. Rice has the #13 passing yards offense. Fortunately, Rice is #117 in passing defense and #85 in rushing defense.

Reaction Score
Whether he admits it or not, it was a beyond idiotic mistake. And one that, in all likelihood, turned the game around and led to a loss.
Huge momentum change no doubt. Like I said HCs shouldn't be coordinators. Too much manage. They figured us out, adjusted their game plan at half and killed us offensively.

Reaction Score
Hope for this week? I'll give you this. Their QB, JT Daniels, is not a running QB as he has not had positive rushing yards in any game this season or in any season he has played. His career longest run is 20 yards. Plus, as a team they are averaging 2.5 YPC rushing this season. That said, Daniels is experienced and a good passer and he has 5 WRs that are averaging over 15 yards per catch. Rice has the #13 passing yards offense. Fortunately, Rice is #117 in passing defense and #85 in rushing defense.

i wanna believe in this so bad - but i've seen enough otherwise mediocre offensive players on opposing G5 teams, have a "career day" against us.

Reaction Score
Thanks BL for a great write up as usual. A couple of points.

Coaching matters. For example, Utah St. has a dedicated specials teams coach and a Sr. Special Teams Analyst, so Utah State devotes more resources to special teams than UConn. Not saying that caused the missed block, but Utah St. was moving around the guys on the end and #6 almost blocked a FG doing the same rush from the other side.

And, it's pretty clear, Mora needs a DC and I think that will happen and I do hope we spend some money on the position. As for Charlton, you have to give him a pass last year given all of the injuries to WRs and RBs as well as having to start a true freshman QB who did not play Spring football. Some of his play calling has been questionable, but this week's offense gives me hope. And, Roberson could be a solid, not spectacular QB. And, I don't think his speed has fully recovered from injury.

A quick comment on WR separation. When a DB is beaten by 1 to 2 yards, that's separation. When a WR is open by 10 yards, that's either scheme or blown coverage. What happened at the end of the half is not excusable. It was a totally blown coverage when UConn should have been in a prevent defense.

I’m not sure how many teams don’t have either a DC or OC. I suspect in the P4 world not many. I’m sure a more tech savvy person could get that.

I did look at Cincy for example. They don’t have a specific DC. Instead they have a Co-DC. USF on other hand does have a named OC and DC, but both have other specific areas like QB’s or inside LB’s

Reaction Score
It is more noticeable on offense. Leach, Holgerson, Malzahn, Jimbo. They have OC’s by name but they are running the calls

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've mentioned this a few times and I'll say it again. I actually fear the players on the field are the ones who are performing best in practice and give the team the best chance to win.

The fan in me screams "next man up" when a player screws up an assignment in a big way. The fear is there is no next man up.

Building depth is paramount for player peformance. Sitting on the bench is a helluva motivator for a player to improve.

How you build depth as an indpendent not named Notre Dame in an NIL world is something I don't know yet.

Reaction Score
Why they weren't in a prevent type defense at the end of the half is mind-boggling.

Reaction Score
I've mentioned this a few times and I'll say it again. I actually fear the players on the field are the ones who are performing best in practice and give the team the best chance to win.

The fan in me screams "next man up" when a player screws up an assignment in a big way. The fear is there is no next man up.

Building depth is paramount for player peformance. Sitting on the bench is a helluva motivator for a player to improve.

How you build depth as an indpendent not named Notre Dame in an NIL world is something I don't know yet.
The whole house of cards will collapse when they expect everyone to pay a lot more than they are now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The whole house of cards will collapse when they expect everyone to pay a lot more than they are now.

Yes, an elastic bounce back will happen at some point. Just like every "growth" industry. And those who know best how to transition from growth plans to sustainment plans always win.

Reaction Score
i wanna believe in this so bad - but i've seen enough otherwise mediocre offensive players on opposing G5 teams, have a "career day" against us.
Armstrong from NC State looked unstoppable against us. He just got benched.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
1. This season sucks. Second straight week that I've had to call off my tailgate and go to the game by myself because you can't expect normal people to cook and eat in heavy rain.

3. ....Do normal people have to see their team do that once in a lifetime?
I'm sensing a theme. Why would you ask a question about normal people to the BY? What would we know about that?
Great writeup as usual.

Reaction Score
Armstrong from NC State looked unstoppable against us. He just got benched.

Against UConn, he had his second lowest passing game of the year with no TDs, but he had his most rushing yards with 2 TDs. UConn just didn't contain his running. Outside of their game against FCS VMI, NC State was only averaging 20 points per game.

Reaction Score
UConn just didn't contain his running.
After he repeatedly ran for too many first downs to keep track of, the lack of our defensive attention to him on third down was coaching malpractice. Mora's insipid post game response was "we don't spy". He might as well have said "we don't win".

Reaction Score
1. Our defensive backfield was in complete disarray against USU. They had trouble lining up and often just barely got in position on many plays. On the final passing TD, Shearin was caught flat footed and the WR ran right by him because he was still figuring out where he should be as the ball was snapped. Whoever calls out the defense, in particular in the secondary, has to get the info out much faster. The entire operation needs to be addressed.

2. We must have the slowest DEs in D1. We have not had a speed rush reach the QB this season. No wonder we can't catch any QB, even when we break down the OL.

3. Special teams have been horrible. We have managed to return six punts in five games averaging 4.6 yard a return on those. The rest of the time we fumble, let the ball hit the ground, or run into each other. It's a clown show.

4. We have trouble getting the ball from the center to the quarterback. We should work on this first and then move to the other areas.

Reaction Score
1. Our defensive backfield was in complete disarray against USU. They had trouble lining up and often just barely got in position on many plays. On the final passing TD, Shearin was caught flat footed and the WR ran right by him because he was still figuring out where he should be as the ball was snapped. Whoever calls out the defense, in particular in the secondary, has to get the info out much faster. The entire operation needs to be addressed.

2. We must have the slowest DEs in D1. We have not had a speed rush reach the QB this season. No wonder we can't catch any QB, even when we break down the OL.

3. Special teams have been horrible. We have managed to return six punts in five games averaging 4.6 yard a return on those. The rest of the time we fumble, let the ball hit the ground, or run into each other. It's a clown show.

4. We have trouble getting the ball from the center to the quarterback. We should work on this first and then move to the other areas.
On #2, it's the same two DEs as last year and once we got through the power schools Watts and Yates both played really well. This is the single hardest part of this year for me to understand.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom