The View From Section 241 (including bowl analysis) | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 (including bowl analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To paraphrase President Kennedy, today we are all Pasquolinis. Just a nice, solid effort and a surprisingly easy win in a game we couldn't lose for so many reasons. Extending the season a game. Recruiting. Not losing the fanbase. Keeping Rutgers from celebrating on our field. Had to have it and got it. Now, how much of that was our play and how much was their self-destructive choking? Honestly, I'm not that sure. I'm not sure I ever saw a game where statistics had less meaning than that one. The only stats that mattered were rushing yardage and turnovers. Sorry TDH, but yesterday is a perfect example that you don't need a ton of passing yards to win most football games. But today, I don't care. We're at a time of year where you win or you lose and we won. And we have a chance to show whether and how much we're improving Saturday at noon anyway.

So, offense, defense and specials. This week, specials played a huge role in winning the game for us. Teggart missed his first career extra point, but drilled both his FGs. Christen got I believed a whopping 4 touchbacks, reducing the risk of a kickoff return like the one that cost us the LV game. Wagner put the ball inside the 1 not once but twice (once downed by Taylor Mack, making the first play he's made on any unit all year that I've noticed). Coverages were great on both units. And Nick Williams got us field position again and again and again. Rutgers will be seeing him in their sleep. If you're going to get less than 300 yards of total offense and put up 40 points, the specials are doing their job, and they did. We need another week of that.

Defense gave up a boatload of passing yards, most of them, however, after the outcome was long decided. Far more importantly, the defense totally shut down the run and forced what -- six turnovers, not counting one more on a two poitn conversion. It was a dominating performance. How much of it was due to Rutgers choking, and how much our D -- ask me next Saturday at 4. Trevardo, obviously, was great. Just unbelievably great. We've been watching him get better and better year to year, and now it's game to game. He will be a beast next year. Tymeer Brown is also getting better game to game. Reyes has been great, and seeing him getting a TD this year on senior day, when he was robbed last year, was poetic justice. We saw a lot more 3 down lineman fronts Saturday than we've been seeing, largely with Shamar Stephen in the middle flanked by Reyes and Williams. Expect to see a lot more of that next year, with Joseph, Jennings and Trevardo flanking Stephen. And next year, we'll have the depth at LB to make a 3-4 work. Great game by Sio also, and Blidi looked much, much better. And Gratz looked better with him back.

On offense, the offense did everything you could have asked it to. Now, it did it after the D and specials made it easy. We didn't have a scoring drive that started inside our 40, and if I had to guess our average scoring drive probably only covered about 30 yards. So I'm not sure that the offense was really that much better, or at least ready to carry the team, than it had been, but having said that if we were as effective in the red zone, and inside the opponents 40, as we were yesterday, we'd have at least two more wins this year. So it was good to see. McEntee still has all the footwork issues, but the OL kept RU out of his face in the first half and he threw the ball, conservatively, where he wanted to. It was great to see JJL actually get a chance to carry 10 times and senior day, and to do a solid job with it (he really couldn't have gotten 5 carries a game this year?). I. Moore wasn't even looked at, but the WR blocking was much better than it had been. We had fewer WR snaps, with little 3 WR sets and a lot of 1 WR sets with Manning and Griffin at TE. And the OL was just great (and it was nice to see Gary Bardzak get a quick chance with Petrus out on Senior Day).

For the coaching, I have given up on managing the timeouts during the last two minutes this year. I agreed with the strategy that the first goal at the end of the half was to get in FG range and run out the clock, since we started the second half with the ball, but after the Davis crossing pattern if we had called TO we could have gotten three plays in. It was just messed up. And, P has to know that Schiano won't ever quit (more on that later) and, up 24, kick the damn FG. Had they meade the two point coversion to cut it to 16, and then recovered the onside kick, I don't even want to think about what would have happened. I didn't blame the coaches for last week's loss, and this week's win was that the players executed far, far better than Rutgers did. (Executed doesn't get you there -- we just wanted it much, much more in the trenches.) But the coaches did their part and absolutely get credit for doing so.

At the start of the game, the stadium was appalling. It looked like it would be lucky to be two thirds full. But, late or not, people got there. And enthusiasm wasn't like it might be in a better season, but it was fine. And it was fun -- fans stayed into the game in the 4th, even after the place had emptied. I would guess there were about 5k Rutgers fans. A good showing but, frankly, I thought they brought more fans to the Rent in '07 for the night game. They were enthusiastic to start the game. That didn't last long. Oh, and note to one RU fan I heard leaving the stadium saying "enjoy Bridgeport." Really? You thought that was an effective insult? Coming from a state with, among others, Camden and Patterson? I did think that both fanbased did a good job, however, of not getting in each other's faces. Maybe the fact that we're stuck in the same realignment nightmare helped contribute to that.

So there we are. One more week for the seniors to fight to our 5th straight bowl eligibie season, and only our 3rd ever winning conference record. I didn't tape the Cincy game, so I don't know how they put that many points on the board without Collaros. Did they show enough to make me think Saturday will take a major upset? Don't know. But my view of the game Saturday is that I'd much, much, much rather play it from ahead than from behind. Neither team throws the ball right now well enough to come back from more than 7 down, even early in the game. Scoring and defending early will be incredibly key. Winning special teams and avoiding turnovers. What else is new for Uconn football.

If we win, do we go bowling at 6-6? Almost definitely. This is how I see it, and I'll give you my assumptions so you can understand the conclusions. I will assume the following: (i) LSU and Oregon win their conference championship games; (ii) UConn wins, because otherwise I don't care, which means that Louisville, after losing to FIU and Marshall, is going to the Orange Bowl (and Louisville to the Orange will make the BCS long for the good old days when UConn went to the Fiesta in terms of quality of team); and (iii) the 4 BCS non-AQs are Houston, Michigan, Stanford and 'Bama. What does that mean for the Big East:

1. If we beat Cincy, Louisville wins the Big East, no matter what WVU does, and goes to the Orange.

2. Champs chooses Notre Dame to play either FSU or the loser of the ACC Championship game. Last year, the Champs passed on the Irish. With all the uncertainty of conference realignment, and the fact that Notre Dame may be getting closer to making a run at a BCS bowl, I can't see them passing on the Irish again. The Big XII fills its Pinstripe Bowl commitment, so that takes ND's other contract out of the picture.

3. Charlotte takes WVU to play an ACC opponent. Can't see them passing over the 'Neers for Rutgers, but stranger things have happened. Rutgers has never played there, would probably do well selling tickets, and it makes it an easier win for the ACC if Charlotte takes UNC or State and doesn't need WVU to bring 30 k fans to fill the place up.

4. Next is Pinstripe. If it has gone as I'm guessing, the Yankee organization takes Rutgers (whether Syracuse has beaten Pitt or not). I can't see them taking a 6-6 UConn over a 8-4 Rutgers no matter what head to head was given that neither has played there yet.

5. Next is Birmingham with a but. The same organization runs the Liberty Bowl, Birmingham and St Petes. If the SEC fills its commitment in both the Liberty and Birmingham, the CUSA champ (this year #2 with Houston to the BCS) goes to the Liberty and the Big East goes to Birmingham. If, however, the SEC only fills one of the slots, then the bowl can take Big East teams to play in both the Liberty and Birmingham, one against the SEC and one against the CUSA champ, and release the Big East from its St. Petes commitment. So, I predict that, the Liberty takes Cincy to play an SEC team (most likely Vandy but possibly Miss State).

6. Birmingham, going next takes UConn to play either Southern Miss or Tulsa. Pitt played this bowl last year, so isn't going there if it beats Syracuse which, at home, I expect it to. If Syracuse beats Pitt, they haven't had the honor of Birmingham yet and go there. This is not effected whether USF wins or loses versus WVU.

7. Next, the Big East is invited to send a team to St. Pete, anyway, whether they have to or not, and does to protect its relationship with the bowl. USF if they beat WVU. Otherwise, UConn, who hasn't been there yet, if they don't go to Birmingham, or the Pitt-- Syracuse winner if it's PItt.

8. If the Big East still needs to get a team to a bowl, there will be two open slots in San Francisco (from the Pac Ten and Army), one of which will llikely be filled by MWC, one in DC (Navy), and the two at the bottom of CUSA's list (guessing but maybe New Orleans and Hawaii)? So it's not likely to be a good destination, especially with both the Big Ten and Big XII having an extra team, but all BCS bowl eligible teams will go somewhere.

Bottom line for UConn with a win: most likely Birmingham, with Pinstripe and St Petes being the next most likely scenarios.

Reaction Score
The Cincinnati / Cuse game will be replayed tomorrow at 2:00 pm on SNY for anyone who wants to scout our next opponent.

Reaction Score
Thanks Biz. You may be one of about 10 people in the world who understand the bowl agreements.

My take is it was simply a great and very needed win. I have been very critial of these coaches, but I have to give them credit, because these kids could have started mailing it in a while ago, and they have not. Rutgers knew they were in a fight yesterday from the opening kick-off.

I am so happy for Johny Mac. There is little doubt in my mind that at the half of the Cuse game he was told he had another series to figure it out. Nebrich was warming up after that half-time and it was not because he felt like playing catch. Since then Mac has played very solid and to my eye looks much more comfortable in the pocket. He was very good in the Louisville game and had his receivers not let him (and the team) down, he would have had monster numbers that game. Yesterday he ran the offence very well and made the throws he needed to make.

McCombs looks like he is getting worn down to me. JJL looked very good with his touches yesterday and I really don't know why we did not run him more this season. The OL has really settled in and if I every had to go to war I would take Moe in a second - tough, tough guy.

I agree Biz, there is no reason the defense cannot be better next season - at least in terms of consistency. If the offense improves, then we should look for an even better season. My one note of caution is that Mr. Teggart will be moving on and he has been huge the last two seasons.

Nick Williams was a one man provider of field position yesterday. He is one of the most interesting football players I have seen in college. He is not blazing fast or quick from what I can see, but he sees the field better than any returner I have ever seen. Very smart and very tough.

The Rutgers fans love these boards for their recruiting rankings and goodness knows Schiano has had some success on Rivals and Scout. To my eye we had better athletes across the board with the exception of wide receiver and QB. On the lines it was all UCONN.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I fully expect to see three down lioneman almost exclusively next season with Trevardo manning Demarcus Ware's role in what was the Cowboys 3-4 when Pasq was in charge of their defense (well, in title with Wade as head coach). One thing that surprised me a bit was that TW spent more time as a down lineman against Rutgers (where we had the lead for all but a couple of defensive plays) than he did against Louisville last week (where we trailed on every play the defense was on the field).

One idea I had which yesterday's game gives me reason to believe is a possibility for next season is that we may be able to switch back and forth at will between a three man line and a four man line without altering personnel. Another thought is that if we move Jerome Junior to OLB, we could switch to 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 (depending on how we utilize Trev for anhy given play) and have one of our three safeties (Byron Jones) move to a third corner (he has played that position extensively since Blidi got hurt). Our defense could become something very special next season, even with the losses of perhaps the best two DT's we've had.

Reaction Score
That could be an unbelievable spot for Trevardo. I've seen him run down plays this season that I could not believe he got to. Kid has serious wheels.

Is he big enough to play that spot in the NFL?

Reaction Score
That could be an unbelievable spot for Trevardo. I've seen him run down plays this season that I could not believe he got to. Kid has serious wheels.

Is he big enough to play that spot in the NFL?

I don't think he is. He will have to shift to an OLB, probably in a 3-4, to play in the NFL.

Reaction Score
You said most of it. Nice to see the boys put a complete game together.

Some thoughts as the season wraps up. Maybe RU self destructed, but some things were evident to me.

1) You are correct. Jean Louis could have gotten more carries to spell McCombs McDaniel. He looked awfully good.

2) The O-Line has made huge progress and this bodes well for next year. Most notably improvement in pass protection.

3) Williams is becoming a beast at DE.

4) I understand better why PP stuck with Johnny Mac and the vertical passing game.

5) Blidi makes a huge difference.

6) I was in my seat for Senior Day. Some weeks we are hard these guys, but we wish them the very best. Somehow the place was rock'n for the finale. You have to feel for guys like Kashif, Moe and the rest who brought it every week, lost a teammate and friend, and who are all honorable well-spoken kids. Hopefully all walk out with degrees and will make it across the stage in May. You guys always made us proud.

7) Good luck to UCONNdad. I do not endorse parents posting here. There is only downside risk. But, he has been a great poster. I wish him luck in the future.

8) There is a lot more to say. There is the realignment. More to figure out on recruiting. I am encouraged for next year. Coaching changes are tough. Even in the loss to Louisville I thought that the team began to turn the corner. A win next week would be great. A bowl win, where we are a big "dog" would be the best.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The (non) use of time outs at the end of the half was small-time. So was the failure to kick the FG in the last 3 minutes. The worst that happens, absent a run back after a block, is a miss FG and the ball in the same position. And while alternating the QB's on almost every play worked well yesterday, having SM pass only once, and that much later in the game, diminishes the true threat that he represents. I'm not advocating he replace JM full time at this point, but get him comfortable throwing the ball maybe 6-8 times and make him less predicable. It makes me think that he is being prepped to have exactly the same role next year.

All of that aside, as much I thought HCPP had deficiencies , this team is one win away from probably bowling, and had they won 1 or 2 of those early close losses, they would be looking at a halfway decent bowl win or lose next week. It is arguable whether or not the early 3 QB rotation cost them a few wins, but in fairness to PP, he inherited not a single experienced QB, no experienced runners, and no real game-breakers on the offensive side of the ball. Not to mention the departure of two LBs who were given a sniff at the NFL. So even if they don't pull it out next week, not all that bad a showing.

Speaking of which, boo to the fans who departed early in the 4th quarter, too many to say that the holiday weekend was an issue. Typical of UConn fans, though, who will not sit through a whole game unless the outcome is clearly in doubt with less than 10 minutes to go regardless of whether not its fb or hoops.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
great read as usual. the bowl info- A+. im bummed that if we win we won't get to nyc but going down south isn't bad. the fanbase will travel ok to a game as long as its in the east and not az. a win next week and a bowl game would really show how far uconn has come as a program, not just this year. most cf teams have a down year every once in a while and don't get to a bowl. for us with everything from the past 365 happeing this is a acomplishment. it shows that we are really trying to build a legit program and we shouldn't be taken lightly.

Reaction Score
I think therough the year, we have been able to see who can blitz and who cannot blitz in Don Brown's D. Jory Johnson cannot blitz effectively. Smallwood is a great blitzer up the gut, pushes the pocket. Sio Moore has been up and down, but when they can get him a good matchup, he is unreal. In an earlier thread, I said I liked the 5 lineman allignment Brown uses, but thought their should be changes. Best set up would be Smallwood in middle, Moore and Trevardo on the edges.

I will write something up on Husky draft prospects at the end of year (seniors and underclassman), but Reyes has done nothing to make me think he is not a 1st round prospect. Just a beast, who offers versatility across the line (I think he settles into a 3-4 end spot like Renaldo Wynn or Aaron Smith). Moe is a solid prospect, a little old for a rookie, but that didn't stop the Eagles to take an older guard out of Baylor in the first round. I think Mo slots in the 4th-7th round. Hopefully Dan Ryan gets to show his stuff in the postseason games, because he finished strong after a shaky first half (imo, due to slow recovery from injury). Definitely draftable.

Trevardo just put himself on a lot of teams watch lists after his great season. 3-4 OLB with wheels. Could leap all the way to the 2nd round after next season. I think BWW has 2nd-3rd round ability as well.

Reaction Score
A great analysis as per usual. One of the things I'd really like to note is how much more poised McEntee looked in the pocket. Of course, he throws a few errant more frequently than I'd like, but one of the things I really picked up on was how he didn't seem to collapse like a dying star every time a defender got within 10 feet of him. His footwork still needs help, but he's looking much, much less like a deer in headlights out there, which is great for my anxiety levels.

Also loved seeing Reyes score a TD on senior day. He came back after last year when he didn't need to, and has been a steadfast, loyal player. He made a tough mistake last week and I was glad to see him make up for it with a huge play.

Thanks for your board contributions as always.

Reaction Score
One game, no matter how satisfying, does not eliminate the need for an effective passing game. In golf, you need to be able to execute in all phases to be really good - long off the tee, good command of fairway woods, short game, pitch and roll and putting. A lot of folks "can hit them a mile" off the tee. Others excel at the "up and in" game. You can do well with either skill set, but to be excellent you need the entire bag. Throw the ball UConn. Let's run a balance attack. Let's make the defense cover the entire field.

Reaction Score
this was really a terrific win on so many levels. we finally beat rutgers. P is officially 1-0 vs Magilla. if we lost it'd be depressing watching the cinci game next week, whereas now i'm pretty jacked up for it. it was also nice to turn in our best complete game towards the end of the year. it seems like things are coming together just in time for bowl season.

i thought McEntee looked great, but i think part of that is just about every one of his snaps was in rutgers territory. i think the bottom line is that with our limitations at QB DeLeone has a much easier time cobbling together a 30-40 yard drive than a 70-80 yard drive. we have a pretty severe lack of big plays on offense and it's almost impossible to move the ball 70 yards when you're doing it 3-5 yards a clip.

i'm excited by what i saw from our defense. going into this season this is what i was hoping for from the high pressure Don Brown system. we blew a few coverages, but i don't know that we'll ever eliminate that entirely. that one play where it was 3rd and 5 and Sanu was given about a 15 yard cushion off the line of scrimmage was ridiculous. you need to make some kind of adjustment when their best player is by himself. i was impressed with their receiver Coleman. i hadn't really heard of him but he looked good and took big fluid strides that reminded me of T.O.

TD, we all know you want a better passing game. we all want a better passing game, too. harping on it endlessly gets tiring though.

Reaction Score
I don't think he is. He will have to shift to an OLB, probably in a 3-4, to play in the NFL.

When I watch Trev play, all I can see is a Clay Matthews or DeMarcus Ware type in the NFL. I'm sure that is what scouts are thinking as well. He is smaller than those two, but I think he is probably faster than both. And already having the experience against the bigs in the trenches will only help, as will having PP coach him up.

Reaction Score
Hate to rip the coaches as it was a great win but with countless years of experience under their belt how do you not call a timeout with 3 left and already in great field goal position before halftime with 30 to 40 seconds left on the clock. We have to be able to take shots at the end zone instead of just settling for 3 pts with that much time left.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Hate to rip the coaches as it was a great win but with countless years of experience under their belt how do you not call a timeout with 3 left and already in great field goal position before halftime with 30 to 40 seconds left on the clock. We have to be able to take shots at the end zone instead of just settling for 3 pts with that much time left.

I don't think it was PP not knowing the situation but more a case of him feeling a 14 point half time lead was going to put UCONN in great shape to win the game.

Like the strategy or not, PP was going for a sure 3 and not taking a chance at an int going for 7. He also didn't want to leave any time for RU after the FG. I'm sure he considered that we would get the ball first in the second half.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was PP not knowing the situation but more a case of him feeling a 14 point half time lead was going to put UCONN in great shape to win the game.

Like the strategy or not, PP was going for a sure 3 and not taking a chance at an int going for 7. He also didn't want to leave any time for RU after the FG. I'm sure he considered that we would get the ball first in the second half.

That clearly was the strategy when we got the ball back, and I had no issues playing it conservatively, but you have to be willing and able to revisit strategies as the facts on the ground changed. With a first down inside the twenty, one minute left and three times outs, after the Geremey Davis crossing pattern, there would have been no problem running three plays (at least), letting the clock run down and kicking a field goal at the end. If you want to be conservative, only run draws and corner routes and don't throw it over the middle. But what we did there was the equivalent of Tyler Palko sliding. It wasn't a question anymore of playing it conservatively -- it was simply not taking advantage of percentages.

Reaction Score

Take the shot at six. Stop with the conservative. Play the game aggressively or step down for someone who will.

Reaction Score
Take the shot at six. Stop with the conservative. Play the game aggressively or step down for someone who will.

He was afraid of being cruxified by the Boneyard if there was a turnover...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Yeah, right. People are still killing him for the Vandy game even though the play called produced a wide-open receiver and good pass protection.

UConn won big as an underdog and yet the haters gotta hate.

Reaction Score
Yeah, right. People are still killing him for the Vandy game even though the play called produced a wide-open receiver and good pass protection.

UConn won big as an underdog and yet the haters gotta hate.
Guess people have to have something to complain about. to me it was a push as to whether you take the 3 or go for the td. I can see both arguments, but jeez, he had a 2 touchdown lead, you can't walk away with nothing in tha tsituation, and you really can't walk away with a 7 point lead. Having a very reliable kicker come out and nail one, knowing you start out the 3rd quarter with the football and a chance to build on that is a pretty reasonable decision in my mind. Complaining about it is like complaining that our first touchdown drive was only 24 yards.

Reaction Score

If he had not been conservative and J Mac threw an interception for a TD, you would be on him on why he didn't play it conservative and go into the half with a bigger lead

I would hate to work at job where I was damned if i do...damned if i don't

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
That clearly was the strategy when we got the ball back, and I had no issues playing it conservatively, but you have to be willing and able to revisit strategies as the facts on the ground changed. With a first down inside the twenty, one minute left and three times outs, after the Geremey Davis crossing pattern, there would have been no problem running three plays (at least), letting the clock run down and kicking a field goal at the end. If you want to be conservative, only run draws and corner routes and don't throw it over the middle. But what we did there was the equivalent of Tyler Palko sliding. It wasn't a question anymore of playing it conservatively -- it was simply not taking advantage of percentages.

I guess I have been watching a different set of receivers this year. The ones I've watched haven't exactly had hands of glue.

Reaction Score
Good win over Massey rated #42 team. Is by far the highest rated team Uconn has beaten this year. THIS YEAR (for those disingenous challenged) the current Massey ratings for Uconn has risen back to #77 and reflects about recent Uconn recruiting rankings. BE has an average rating of 55 (including Uconn, 51 if only count other 7). Not a very strong conference. Uconn's OOC schedule opponent average rankings are 66 (Buffalo skews). Uconn has beaten teams ranked 42, 67, 80, 110 (and 1aa team) and lost to 28, 38, 47,51, 61, 69. So best victory was Rutgers and worse loss was WM. Except for WV loss final score for games show Uconn in the game until the last possession or so, so Uconn was quite competitive with its schedule this year. Cin at #31 would be the highest rated team beaten by Uconn if can get it and as an away game quite the season capper.

Have losses this year by 3,4,7 point and one by 14 that was really only a touchdown. Offsetting this are a couple of touchdown wins. A schedule like this next year being not having to play a team in the top 25 should offer a solid chance at a winning record. If Uconn had Andrew Luck this year would be undefeated. If MN is the real deal and beats out a red shirt senior who has started all the games the prior year, will be a double digit wins BCS team next year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If he had not been conservative and J Mac threw an interception for a TD, you would be on him on why he didn't play it conservative and go into the half with a bigger lead

I would hate to work at job where I was damned if i do...damned if i don't
You haven't been paying much attention from the old board, have you?

TDH would prefer losing 51-42 if we passed for ~ 400 yards over winning 13-9 if we passed for ~ 120.

The outcome doesn't concern him, only the yards gained through the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom