The View From Section 241 — Fresno State | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 — Fresno State

Reaction Score
Zion really needs to learn to check his rear-view mirror, so to speak. He's too vulnerable to surprise blitzes. I hope Mora and his QB coach can help him work on his blitz radar, maybe starting with pre-snap reads to identify which guys might not drop into coverage and then doing a glance-back once the ball is snapped. It's painful to watch from the stands and yell "Look out, look out!" to a sitting duck carrying an exposed football. Bad for my heart.

I'm still not convinced Houston actually fumbled before he was down. I know the replays on the scoreboard were a bit inconclusive, but I suspect he didn't think he really fumbled either. Easier to bounce back from that, I'd suppose. And even if he did fumble, it was with three guys on him and his arms wrapped around the ball, initially landing on top of a defender. Just tough luck more than a mistake.

Also, I doubt Turner would have been able to make that long run without the holding penalty, as the D-lineman was probably going to get at least a hand on him without the O-lineman's arm wrapping around his neck and pulling him back. Zion didn't take off until after the yank, which was obvious right away, and the flag came out before he'd even crossed the line of scrimmage. Knowing the play would be negated, I didn't feel so bad about that one, though it'd have been nice if holding wasn't necessary there.

On TV the fumble looked legit. They might have blown a whistle there but they didn't.

Reaction Score
What a treat to need to write a 241 the night of the game, while I’m feeling emotions. Day started with disappointment. Cancelled my tailgate at 8:00 a.m. because it was people from work and I couldn’t see making them worry if they had to come join me on a lousy day. But as the forecast improved, figured I’d go by myself. When I said by myself, I meant not sitting with anyone I knew. I didn’t mean being virtually the only person in the blue lot or Section 241. But whatever. I pulled into the blue lot at 3:00, had a small brewery Vermont beer and a bag of chips, and wandered into an empty stadium at 3:20. While I was sitting by my car having a beer, someone else by themself wandered up and asked if I thought we had a chance. I said no. He asked if we could make it competitive. I said I hope so. Let me tell you, I’ve never been so happy wiping egg off my face. It has been almost five years — since November of 2017 — that we have a single FBS win against anyone other than UMass. I hoped it would come this year but I wasn’t expecting it today, as 23 point dogs.

The single thing that jumped out at me was how into the game, supportive and enthusiastic the UConn bench was. From the opening kickoff until Robert Burns 4th and 2 fourth down conversion. How a team that had been so thoroughly destroyed for three straight weeks could come out with that attitude was beyond my comprehension. But they did. I haven’t been bashing Mora and staff during the losing streak, and I’m not going to turn my head around and throw praise on them after this. Still a lot that they, along with the players, have to work on. But players and coaches believed in their hearts, and weren’t listening to their heads. And like the road win at Temple in 2013, at 0-9 on a lousy weather day with no reason to believe, they made it happen. My heartfelt congratulations to all of them, and I was happy to share a piece of their joy.

Offense, defense and specials. Let’s start with specials. Yuch. The missed tackles on their punt return TD was a joke, and while I’ll forgive our kickoffs into the wind, we twice ran into their punter and somehow escaped flags. And Victor Rosa has to be able to get to punts and make fair catches. But it didn’t cost us the game.

The defense was just great. It’s hard to imagine where that game came from. The corners — Bell and Wortham — were terrific. Where did that tackling come from on the short, wide passes? And I thought we didn’t have enough DL to make the switch to the 4-3, but we kept bringing in folks that I had never noticed before and whomever was playing put pressure on their QB without letting him run free to their outside. While thoroughly stuffing the run. And getting three takeaways. The best defensive game we’ve played, off the top of my head, probably since the 6-6 bowl year in 2015. There was no dramatic 95 yard drive to win the game without their 60 minute masterpiece.

The offense was not great. We were barely over 200 yards until the game winning drive. But it overcame Zion coughing it up in FG range to take the lead for the half (where, yet again, he didn’t see a free defender coming at him from 25 yards away), and then Houston coughing it up when we were in FG range to get back into the game early in the 2d half, and then the penalty cancelling out what could have been a game winning long scramble from Zion Turner in the 4th. And did enough to get it done. But on the offensive end, with a lot of work to do (for God sakes, if teams are overplaying the run can run we some play action to short passes where Zion knows where he’s throwing no matter what before the play starts and makes a quick throw), and too many injuries to overcome, it was individual performances that stood out to me. Notwithstanding the fumble, Houston was great. Look, he’s playing out of position as a starting TB. He should be a slot back getting a limited number of touches a game. But there he was, with his first 100 yard game, notwithstanding being keyed on. And coming back from his fumble for the game winning TD on a play where it looked like not much was there. Robert Burns, who didn’t come here to be a bit player, but became that (notwithstanding that everyone seems to agree that he is a superior human being). But here he was, with a chance for our biggest win in five years requiring him to make plays, coming up with 29 huge yards, mostly into packed defenses.. Justin Jolley, the true frosh from New Rochelle, who not only became a weapon in the passing game, but made one huge play catching a ball short of a first down, and knowing where the sticks were and wrestling his way to them. Chase Lundt, at RT, who I didn’t notice in the passing game once. meaning that he stopped being overrun on passing downs. And most of all maybe, Kevin Clercius, who must have been wondering with all the WR injuries why in the world no one ever looked to throw to him this year. Who not only didn’t choke on the first QB lined up in the slot reverse pass, but, not open, did his best Geremy Davis imitation with the game on the line and caught the 40 yard ball (well thrown to be sure) despite being covered, turning the game from one where we were chasing to one where we were in the drivers seat. Congratulations to all.

I am not going to get ahead of myself and talk about what we are all thinking (which is if we play like this can we get to 4-4, or what it says about the staff). I am just going to enjoy our first real win in 5 years. And count the hours to a winnable game in Miami in 7 days, where if we play as well as we did today we should walk away 3-4. But it was good to remember for a moment what hope, and winning, and overcoming adversity, felt like. Thank you to all involved.Good
Welcome back Biz!

Reaction Score
Very nice write up!

I think that a lot of fans were really starting to worry about whether Charlton could live up to the pre-season hype about being a creative & progressive OC.

Yesterday’s game should at least put those concerns to rest for a while. Quite a few interesting play calls, pre-snap motion, etc…some things worked, some not so much…but it showed he’s got a lot of tricks in the bag…just appears he was waiting for the right situations / right personnel / right comfort levels for in-game execution.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Very nice write up!

I think that a lot of fans were really starting to worry about whether Charlton could live up to the pre-season hype about being a creative & progressive OC.

Yesterday’s game should at least put those concerns to rest for a while. Quite a few interesting play calls, pre-snap motion, etc…some things worked, some not so much…but it showed he’s got a lot of tricks in the bag…just appears he was waiting for the right situations / right personnel / right comfort levels for in-game execution.

The pre snap motion is definitely my biggest gripe from yesterday. There's two types of pre snap motion. The first one is realigning and changing the set which makes the defense adjust and keeps them moving. The second one is players not being in the right spot or not knowing what to do. And it's the second one which UConn was doing yesterday. Just had WR's running from one side of the formation to the other just to get a legal formation set before the snap. Gotta tighten that up.

Okay. I may have lied. Special team tackling, special teams keeping their lanes and punt returners fielding kicks rather than letting them roll is equally as high if not higher on my gripe list.

Reaction Score
What a treat to need to write a 241 the night of the game, while I’m feeling emotions. Day started with disappointment. Cancelled my tailgate at 8:00 a.m. because it was people from work and I couldn’t see making them worry if they had to come join me on a lousy day. But as the forecast improved, figured I’d go by myself. When I said by myself, I meant not sitting with anyone I knew. I didn’t mean being virtually the only person in the blue lot or Section 241. But whatever. I pulled into the blue lot at 3:00, had a small brewery Vermont beer and a bag of chips, and wandered into an empty stadium at 3:20. While I was sitting by my car having a beer, someone else by themself wandered up and asked if I thought we had a chance. I said no. He asked if we could make it competitive. I said I hope so. Let me tell you, I’ve never been so happy wiping egg off my face. It has been almost five years — since November of 2017 — that we have a single FBS win against anyone other than UMass. I hoped it would come this year but I wasn’t expecting it today, as 23 point dogs.

The single thing that jumped out at me was how into the game, supportive and enthusiastic the UConn bench was. From the opening kickoff until Robert Burns 4th and 2 fourth down conversion. How a team that had been so thoroughly destroyed for three straight weeks could come out with that attitude was beyond my comprehension. But they did. I haven’t been bashing Mora and staff during the losing streak, and I’m not going to turn my head around and throw praise on them after this. Still a lot that they, along with the players, have to work on. But players and coaches believed in their hearts, and weren’t listening to their heads. And like the road win at Temple in 2013, at 0-9 on a lousy weather day with no reason to believe, they made it happen. My heartfelt congratulations to all of them, and I was happy to share a piece of their joy.

Offense, defense and specials. Let’s start with specials. Yuch. The missed tackles on their punt return TD was a joke, and while I’ll forgive our kickoffs into the wind, we twice ran into their punter and somehow escaped flags. And Victor Rosa has to be able to get to punts and make fair catches. But it didn’t cost us the game.

The defense was just great. It’s hard to imagine where that game came from. The corners — Bell and Wortham — were terrific. Where did that tackling come from on the short, wide passes? And I thought we didn’t have enough DL to make the switch to the 4-3, but we kept bringing in folks that I had never noticed before and whomever was playing put pressure on their QB without letting him run free to their outside. While thoroughly stuffing the run. And getting three takeaways. The best defensive game we’ve played, off the top of my head, probably since the 6-6 bowl year in 2015. There was no dramatic 95 yard drive to win the game without their 60 minute masterpiece.

The offense was not great. We were barely over 200 yards until the game winning drive. But it overcame Zion coughing it up in FG range to take the lead for the half (where, yet again, he didn’t see a free defender coming at him from 25 yards away), and then Houston coughing it up when we were in FG range to get back into the game early in the 2d half, and then the penalty cancelling out what could have been a game winning long scramble from Zion Turner in the 4th. And did enough to get it done. But on the offensive end, with a lot of work to do (for God sakes, if teams are overplaying the run can run we some play action to short passes where Zion knows where he’s throwing no matter what before the play starts and makes a quick throw), and too many injuries to overcome, it was individual performances that stood out to me. Notwithstanding the fumble, Houston was great. Look, he’s playing out of position as a starting TB. He should be a slot back getting a limited number of touches a game. But there he was, with his first 100 yard game, notwithstanding being keyed on. And coming back from his fumble for the game winning TD on a play where it looked like not much was there. Robert Burns, who didn’t come here to be a bit player, but became that (notwithstanding that everyone seems to agree that he is a superior human being). But here he was, with a chance for our biggest win in five years requiring him to make plays, coming up with 29 huge yards, mostly into packed defenses.. Justin Jolley, the true frosh from New Rochelle, who not only became a weapon in the passing game, but made one huge play catching a ball short of a first down, and knowing where the sticks were and wrestling his way to them. Chase Lundt, at RT, who I didn’t notice in the passing game once. meaning that he stopped being overrun on passing downs. And most of all maybe, Kevin Clercius, who must have been wondering with all the WR injuries why in the world no one ever looked to throw to him this year. Who not only didn’t choke on the first QB lined up in the slot reverse pass, but, not open, did his best Geremy Davis imitation with the game on the line and caught the 40 yard ball (well thrown to be sure) despite being covered, turning the game from one where we were chasing to one where we were in the drivers seat. Congratulations to all.

I am not going to get ahead of myself and talk about what we are all thinking (which is if we play like this can we get to 4-4, or what it says about the staff). I am just going to enjoy our first real win in 5 years. And count the hours to a winnable game in Miami in 7 days, where if we play as well as we did today we should walk away 3-4. But it was good to remember for a moment what hope, and winning, and overcoming adversity, felt like. Thank you to all involved.
Great writeup.
So many positives. Several things stood out to me and probably shocked Fresno St:
-First game in years where we haven't been totally predictable:
-"unleashing", to a degree, ZT for his runs and long passes;
-effectiveness of Joly and several other "newer" players;
-change in defensive lineup and schemes, especially the sack by Mitchell when he swapped positions with Swenson on the pass rush.

Reaction Score
Did anyone see Barthel get into Rosa’s ear on the sideline. It was after Rosa ran right and maybe gave up on the play just a bit too early. I don’t recall seeing his number called after that and Burns received more time. I’ll need to the check the play by play.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Did anyone see Barthel get into Rosa’s ear on the sideline. It was after Rosa ran right and maybe gave up on the play just a bit too early. I don’t recall seeing his number called after that and Burns received more time. I’ll need to the check the play by play.
I remember the play you are talking about…he could have cut it up , but instead he kinda jogged it outside. When he tried to turn back in the pursuit was there. That the play?

Reaction Score
I remember the play you are talking about…he could have cut it up , but instead he kinda jogged it outside. When he tried to turn back in the pursuit was there. That the play?
I don't think he gave up on the play -- I think he couldn't make a decision as to where the hole is. That's hardly unusual for a TB learning to play the position. Remember, everyone healthy the most playing time Rosa was looking at was a few touches a game as one of a number of slot backs.

None of that is a knock on the young man. He clearly plays hard. But it would be unfair for him to know what he's doing the way we would expect Nathan Carter to.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I’m in Dallas, but we’ll be up there in a few weeks and we have tickets for the UMass game. That game suddenly looks to be a lot more fun than we expected.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I don't think he gave up on the play -- I think he couldn't make a decision as to where the hole is. That's hardly unusual for a TB learning to play the position. Remember, everyone healthy the most playing time Rosa was looking at was a few touches a game as one of a number of slot backs.

None of that is a knock on the young man. He clearly plays hard. But it would be unfair for him to know what he's doing the way we would expect Nathan Carter to.
Not saying he did anything on purpose…I think he just strung it out to far and missed his chance to turn it up. I can remember doing something similar in high school and getting an earful from my coach. Deservedly so.

Reaction Score
I’m in Dallas, but we’ll be up there in a few weeks and we have tickets for the UMass game. That game suddenly looks to be a lot more fun than we expected.

Yes, Don Brown has UMASS playing competitive football even though it's not showing up in their record just yet. Huge game on 11/4.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I thought he was looking for a hole and there was none. If he kept boucing outside I think he would have lost yardage. He turned up, took what was there and made, maybe, a yard. I was surprised he got yelled at but without knowing the play, it's hard to second guess.

Reaction Score
Definitely notice the “culture” change on the sideline. The last few years the teams didn’t seem care what was going on. They just stood there and hung out. They have life back in the program.

And is it just me or do I feel like this weeks defensive scheme was nothing like any of the other games this season? Was Mora holding back? Now if they’ll just open the offense up a little and show us something new next week!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sheesh. Where have I been? Just no point doing real write ups when we’re being anhilated every week and all a 241 does is lead to people saying silly things because they’re venting.
You doing “view froms” is a reminder of what it looked like when we had a successful football team. I smiled as I read it as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are you doing “view froms” is a reminder of what it looked like when we had a successful football team. I smiled as I read it as well.

I'm too old to remember back that far! It must be subconsciously.

Reaction Score
As he should. At least twice that I could see, Rosa mistakenly bounced outside when the play was a cut back inside. He will learn in time. I think Barthel is a big upgrade over what we have had here over the pass 5 years.

Reaction Score

I am not going to get ahead of myself and talk about what we are all thinking (which is if we play like this can we get to 4-4, or what it says about the staff). I am just going to enjoy our first real win in 5 years. And count the hours to a winnable game in Miami in 7 days, where if we play as well as we did today we should walk away 3-4. But it was good to remember for a moment what hope, and winning, and overcoming adversity, felt like. Thank you to all involved.

You have always been very reserved but if you can’t heap praise on winning as a 25 point dog then what will it take?

I said before that this would be one of those seasons where progress might not appear on the scoreboard. And anything beyond beating Central, FIU and UMass was a reach goal.

They definitely need to make some improvements on the passing game and the return game is not good.

The defense is absolutely a massive improvement. And if the offense can perform better then they will be even better.

Now they just need to back it up with a couple more wins.

Reaction Score
At the end of the game I was SO happy it was Mora on the sidelines. I said to myself, the staff isn't gonna panic. They know what to do. Mora won't blow it like certain other coaches we no longer mention. I would have kicked the FG but they made the right call. It reminded me of Todman on fourth down and 1 on his own 22 that night against Pitt. With Sherman leading the way he got four. Exactly what yesterday's last play felt like.

He said today that he wanted Charlton to just drive the field, burn the clock down and kick a field goal. This was what I was actually hoping for. Mora also said scoring the TD so fast was almost a mistake.

The guys wearing the headsets were pretty confident. We wore their defense down pretty good.

Reaction Score
On offense not everything was run flawlessly but we really mixed it up. Tried longer throws, some I formation with QB under center, had 2 QB's on the field for more than one play, some razzle dazzle, think we also had qb under center with split backs. This kept the D for Fresno offbalance.

Reaction Score
He said today that he wanted Charlton to just drive the field, burn the clock down and kick a field goal. This was what I was actually hoping for. Mora also said scoring the TD so fast was almost a mistake.

The guys wearing the headsets were pretty confident. We wore their defense down pretty good.
LOL. I was in my seat telling them to slow down right before the play. If it were the NFL, Houston scoring there absolutely would have decreased our chances of winning, as Bradshaw's Super Bowl TD against the Patriots made it less likely that the Giants would win, rather than more likely. Having said that, in a college game on a raw, windy day with a walk on kicker who has never had a pressure kick in college, I was happy to score.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We showed several stunts and D line maneuvers we hadn’t shown in our two big losses. Mora had a plan, both for the D—and for when to unleash Zion. And how to end the game to avoid an unforeseen catastrophe—like a blocked FG. Great to have confidence in
his experience.
Most importantly, he never let those blowouts define or demoralize us The character of the team was rock solid. That long drive for a meaningless touchdown vs N C St’s 3rd stringers was nice. Last night’s 95 yard drive for the win against Fresno’s best was incredible.
You pointed out one important factor and that is that Mora did not allow the team to demoralize us. It is hard to measure but as you said it shows in the character of the team. I recently had eye surgery so I know I missed a lot of technical happenings on the field. What I could sense even late in the second quarter is that this team has attitude- a good one. I recorded the game and replayed the winning touchdown over and over after I dumped some more eye drops in. I feel hopeful…and it is time to stop blaming Edsal and look into the future.

Reaction Score
Zion really needs to learn to check his rear-view mirror, so to speak. He's too vulnerable to surprise blitzes. I hope Mora and his QB coach can help him work on his blitz radar, maybe starting with pre-snap reads to identify which guys might not drop into coverage and then doing a glance-back once the ball is snapped. It's painful to watch from the stands and yell "Look out, look out!" to a sitting duck carrying an exposed football. Bad for my heart.

I'm still not convinced Houston actually fumbled before he was down. I know the replays on the scoreboard were a bit inconclusive, but I suspect he didn't think he really fumbled either. Easier to bounce back from that, I'd suppose. And even if he did fumble, it was with three guys on him and his arms wrapped around the ball, initially landing on top of a defender. Just tough luck more than a mistake.

Also, I doubt Turner would have been able to make that long run without the holding penalty, as the D-lineman was probably going to get at least a hand on him without the O-lineman's arm wrapping around his neck and pulling him back. Zion didn't take off until after the yank, which was obvious right away, and the flag came out before he'd even crossed the line of scrimmage. Knowing the play would be negated, I didn't feel so bad about that one, though it'd have been nice if holding wasn't necessary there.
I think there were small but building improvements with Zion.

Reaction Score
LOL. I was in my seat telling them to slow down right before the play. If it were the NFL, Houston scoring there absolutely would have decreased our chances of winning, as Bradshaw's Super Bowl TD against the Patriots made it less likely that the Giants would win, rather than more likely. Having said that, in a college game on a raw, windy day with a walk on kicker who has never had a pressure kick on college, I was happy to score.

Tbh. I felt our defense had them covered. But I felt better when Burnsy got the first down.

I want Burns to get Rosa’s carries.

Reaction Score
Tbh. I felt our defense had them covered. But I felt better when Burnsy got the first down.

I want Burns to get Rosa’s carries.

Rosa did not have a good game yesterday, but he had played well prior to that. I think there are enough carries for both of them. If we give Houston 20 carries every game, he won't make it through the season either. Like the play on which he fumbled, it's just too easy for defenders (when they can catch him) to literally throw him around.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom