The View From Section 241 — FIU | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 — FIU

Reaction Score
I only saw the beginning and end of the game, so I’m not going to do the type of analysis I normally do. But nonetheless there are a few things I wanted to say, so let’s go.

1. So I was wrong. And am happy to be wrong. I thought Mora could improve the program, but over time, and I worried that we didn‘t have time. We’ll, he’s improved it more rapidly than I thought possible, recognizing the injuries at the skill positions we are dealing with. Look, I don’t want to pretend we should be drunk with happiness about where we are — we’re still not close to even cracking the Top 100, and two of our three wins are against teams we shouldn’t be worried about losing to. But the improvement in everyone’s attitude, and the defense, and the running game — Jim Mora is doing a good job and deserves a lot of credit.

2. Never in a million years did I think I’d be talking about getting to 6 wins and bowl eligibility this year, and that was even if we stayed healthy. But at this point it’s not rational to not talk about it. We are 3-4. If we can’t beat UMass, at home, we’re not progressing the way we hope, so let’s assume we get that done. That leaves 4 games to get two wins. At Ball State and Army and home against BC and Liberty. I think we’ll be double digit dogs in all of them, if they were played today, but except Liberty none of those teams are any good. GIven that we beat the spread by about 28 points against Fresno and 18 or so yesterday, I don’t understand why we’re not moving up past the trash in the computer rankings quicker than we are, but my eyes tell me that, if Houston stay healthy (and my WAG is he’ll miss Ball State and be back for BC), we have a reasonable chance against Ball State, BC and especially Army. We still have work to do, and improvements to make, and injuries to avoid and recover from, but it is not an unreasonable goal. Of course, it will be a lot, lot easier if we get to our off week 4-4 with a win in Muncie Saturday. That’s a lot easier with a healthy Houston, but any game can be won with defense, and we’ve given up two defensive TDS in two weeks. Ball State has been winning games in the MAC — they aren’t the patsies they looked like after 2 or 3 games — but if we play great we can shut them down

3. I love the attitude of this team. Love, love, love it. If we play a week without Houston we may need to air it out more, but Ball U can’t defend the pass at a top level either.

4. Saturday, to get to 4 and 4, is a huge game. I’m thankful for this team to bring us a big game this season. I don’t think we really had one since the Houston win in 2015. I can’t imagine how pumped up I and others will be if BC comes in and we’re 4 and 4.

That’s it. Don’t need to spend a lot of time talking about the game when I only saw about 20 minutes of it and saw the box score, but the defense, while it bent a lot, didn’t break and generated takeaways, and the OL bulldozed a defense and the offense avoided turnovers. Yeah, it would be great if we could have passing yardage, but doing more than enough to win is enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow, your ESPN+ feed must have been even worse than mine was.
I have no problem with ESPN plus or 3, whether on smart tvs, IPad or IPhone. Just had dinner out in Vermont with some relatives at a place with no cell reception. Saw the first seven minutes and the last ten.

Reaction Score
When was the last time someone wrote this about our huskies

… and two of our three wins are against teams we shouldn’t be worried about

Reaction Score
I have no problem with ESPN plus or 3, whether on smart tvs, IPad or IPhone. Just had dinner out in Vermont with some relatives at a place with no cell reception. Saw the first seven minutes and the last ten.
Where in VT? I live in Waterbury Center

Reaction Score
Just throwing a little water on the fire of expectations:
Love BL's analysis of getting to bowl eligibility BUT can't help but hearken back to UConn's last incarnation as an independent before entering the Big East Football Conference. The Huskies were a 9 win team & not picked for any bowl due to lack of recognition & bowl tie ins. This was a double edged sword of Damocles.
My only solace this time around is IF UConn gets to the 6 win plateau:
a. getting back to respectability is the feel good story of the Year
b. Coach Mora at the helm is enough name brand recognition to give the Huskies a bowl bid over a P-5 bottom dweller who's conference has multiple bowl tie ins to fill.
If the Huskies get to 6 wins, I will settle for ANY bowl bid.
OR, UConn can just run the table & there will be no question of getting into a bowl game.

Reaction Score
Love BL's analysis of getting to bowl eligibility BUT can't help but hearken back to UConn's last incarnation as an independent before entering the Big East Football Conference. The Huskies were a 9 win team & not picked for any bowl due to lack of recognition & bowl tie ins. This was a double edged sword of Damocles.
b. Coach Mora at the helm is enough name brand recognition to give the Huskies a bowl bid over a P-5 bottom dweller who's conference has multiple bowl tie ins to fill.
OR, UConn can just run the table & there will be no question of getting into a bowl game.
Be careful of even thinking that, the knowitall Boneyard cops from internal affairs will accuse you of
…….”faulty logic”…….”unrealistic expectations”
…..”not paying attention to the Vegas odds”…etc

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There will be a minor bowl that would take us if we get there, especiallyifbwe got to 7 wins. Even at 6-6 the rules are different now for selecting teams.

A relatively wealthy fan base that hasn't been to a bowl in a long time is an attractive thing.

Reaction Score
2. Never in a million years did I think I’d be talking about getting to 6 wins and bowl eligibility this year, and that was even if we stayed healthy. But at this point it’s not rational to not talk about it. We are 3-4. If we can’t beat UMass, at home, we’re not progressing the way we hope, so let’s assume we get that done. That leaves 4 games to get two wins. At Ball State and Army and home against BC and Liberty.....
1 week ago
Fantastic.

A 50 point swing from last year. They smoked UConn 45-0 so to come back a year later and fight for the win is impressive.

As for a bowl game, I fear we might look back at that Utah state game and wonder what could have been. Still, some clear progress being made.
To paraphrase our fearless leader's father: Bowl game? You're talking bowl game?

I'm listening to the horse begging everyone to not put the cart in front of it. That was an unbelievable win yesterday, even if you ignore that we hadn't beaten a real football team for five long years. But it doesn't erase the games we had played prior to yesterday either. Could we at least beat one of the worst teams in the FBS Saturday night before people start talking about bowl games please?
Change of heart? I still think it is possible, but the winnable utah st game could come back to haunt UConn a great deal, regarding that.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There will be a minor bowl that would take us if we get there, especiallyifbwe got to 7 wins. Even at 6-6 the rules are different now for selecting teams.

A relatively wealthy fan base that hasn't been to a bowl in a long time is an attractive thing.
Need to get the fans in the seats and generate some buzz around the team. If it looks like the fan base won’t bother to travel, it might be difficult to get a bid

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If it looks like the fan base won’t bother to travel, it might be difficult to get a bid
I'm asking the board, is travel the big deal is used to be? Doesn't seem to be, imo. I didn't budget a bowl game this year but if it happens, that's why God made credit cards.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If the bowl is in Florida, I’m there

102 Army
104 BCU
118 UConn
119 Ball St
128 UMess

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Reaction Score
The broadcast gave me a migraine and cause 157 children in Tokyo to have seizures.

Reaction Score
Don't forget that in 2003 there were 56 teams that went bowling - this year we need 84 teams to fill all the slots. Its a possibility if we are 6-6 that we don't get an invite but I think we should be good. I also wouldn't be surprised if we have some sort of bowl agreement similar to UMass.

Reaction Score
First of all, that FIU game broadcast was just nuts. It looked like they hired a student to do the camera work. I guess that's what you get in the CUSA with the budget they got.

I was one of the crazy guys who predicted 6-6 before the season. It looked insane when we were plummeted by Michigan, but it is becoming more and more possible now.

The key for us to keep winning is our defense. If we can keep the other team's offense down while scoring some points, we can win all those remaining games. Zion is also throwing better, which will be huge knowing our run game might be way down without Houston and Carter. We need to get Houston back asap.

Let's keep it going!

Reaction Score
To be clear, I have no idea if 6-6 gets us to a bowl or not. That we don't control. Focus is on getting to bowl eligibility, which we do.

Reaction Score
1 week ago

Change of heart? I still think it is possible, but the winnable utah st game could come back to haunt UConn a great deal, regarding that.
Change of heart? I said after beating Fresno that I wanted to see us follow it up with a win and then we'd talk about bowls. We did and I did. That's actually called consistency.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Change of heart? I said after beating Fresno that I wanted to see us follow it up with a win and then we'd talk about bowls. We did and I did. That's actually called consistency.
Yeah but, you're messing with a good narrative.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom