The transfer portal opens today | Page 37 | The Boneyard

The transfer portal opens today

Reaction Score
Think of it this way. When a year or two into your first job, you find yourself getting offers for tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars more from other companies, wouldn’t you take one of the better offers?

Can't blame these kids. With that said, Hurley will pursue those he thinks will fit a need, his system and UConn's culture. Maybe a player like him will take a little less here than elsewhere. Maybe he'll get offered so much more than UConn can or is willing to offer. So be it! I'm sure Hurley will find the players who fit and want to be here.

Reaction Score
Think of it this way. When a year or two into your first job, you find yourself getting offers for tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars more from other companies, wouldn’t you take one of the better offers?

Can't blame these kids. With that said, Hurley will pursue those he thinks will fit a need, his system and UConn's culture. Maybe a player like him will take a little less here than elsewhere. Maybe he'll get offered so much more than UConn can or is willing to offer. So be it! I'm sure Hurley will find the players who fit and want to be here.
Unless I really loved my job (school).

Reaction Score
It’s less about handing someone a starting job and more about investing in a very talented player to get the most out of this guy you recruited to your program for a reason. It would be very helpful to the program and winning if we succeeded in doing that.

We’re suppose to pride ourselves on development, so I’m not sure why our coaches wouldn’t be confident in developing this highly talented player they have on their hands that seems to be very hard working with a good head on his shoulders.
I'm reminded how some posters wanted Andre Jackson benched at points in his career over performance troubles.

Talented players like Andre need to work things out on the court.

We can't become like Kansas. I don't want to see them become like Kansas.

There's something to be said for player growth, the likes of which we saw from Andre, Hawkins AND Sanogo.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm reminded how some posters wanted Andre Jackson benched at points in his career over performance troubles.

Talented players like Andre need to work things out on the court.

We can't become like Kansas. I don't want to see them become like Kansas.

There's something to be said for player growth, the likes of which we saw from Andre, Hawkins AND Sanogo.
There were also posters who were unsure of Hawkins after his freshman year and were worried about how the team would look like going into 2023 without RJ Cole and Tyrese Martin.

We’ve had a lot of success with the foundation of our team relying on our highly talented HS recruits. Solo, Stewart, and Karaban need to be the foundation of whatever we do for next year.

Reaction Score
I always wondered if Timberlake knew he wasn't going to be an NBA player and felt it was in his financial interest to take the most money for that one year left in college.
Let's see how guys like Spencer and Newton fare in the pre-draft workouts and where they get drafted (hopefully). If they do well and continue the line of UConn players making the league it will increase the number willing to come here for less in return for the bump they'll get in skills and recognition, leading to improved prospects for a good professional career.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that DH would be able to get certain guys for cheaper now because if you're on a UConn team you get:
  • more national notoriety (especially next year now that everyone's looking at us)
  • better shot at the NBA (especially if a good # of our 4-5 go)
  • pretty good chance to compete for a natty.

Vs.

An extra 200k for a year.

Super bowl half time performers do it for free.
Not hiring mercenaries

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
No it really isn't even remotely comparable. Entering last year our starting lineup included the reigning tournament MOP, a college ready 5* freshman who was one of the highest ranked recruits in UConn history, an all B10 caliber veteran guard, the same stretch PF and a all american talent center.

This year it would be the reigning 6th man of the year, 2 sophomores who have barely played significant minutes and are largely unproven but definitely have potential, AK, and 2 centers who are probably middle of the pack.
No, it didn't.

Reaction Score
We’ve had a lot of success with the foundation of our team relying on our highly talented HS recruits. Solo, Stewart, and Karaban need to be the foundation of whatever we do for next year.
You need to have some form of backup plan. Hauser and McNeeley (or the likely next choices) are perfect fits for this approach.

If next year's team is successful by UConn's current standard (national title), it will most likely revolve around quantity of quality players over the high quality of a few players.

Reaction Score
There were also posters who were unsure of Hawkins after his freshman year and were worried about how the team would look like going into 2023 without RJ Cole and Tyrese Martin.

If they all earn it, sure. But that’s not what you’re suggesting. You’re suggesting handing out starting roles based on….. potential? You’re not going to like this new era of college basketball because that’s not going to work in the portal era. By your logic, Solo should have played over Cam.

Reaction Score
You need to have some form of backup plan. Hauser and McNeeley (or the likely next choices) are perfect fits for this approach.

If next year's team is successful by UConn's current standard (national title), it will most likely revolve around quantity of quality players over the high quality of a few players.
McNeely is in high school.

Reaction Score
No, it didn't.
Yup my bad, the national champion starting PG who had multiple triple doubles and 19/10 in the title game. Doesn't impact the overall point though.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If they all earn it, sure. But that’s not what you’re suggesting. You’re suggesting handing out starting roles based on….. potential? You’re not going to like this new era of college basketball because that’s not going to work in the portal era. By your logic, Solo should have played over Cam.
Please stop putting theories that I did not say on me. That is not my logic. I’ve already explained why it’s not handing out which is a terrible way to frame it.

Reaction Score
The portal is like NFL FA period, teams who go on a spending spree usually don’t win anything.
The NCAA needs to impose a salary cap to level the playing field....Will never happen though because the NCAA is a neutered organization.

Reaction Score
The NCAA needs to impose a salary cap to level the playing field....Will never happen though because the NCAA is a neutered organization.
It won’t happen because it would not be legal
Only way u could potentially have a salary cap is if the
Players are employees and there is a contractual
Agreement even then a cap would violate anti trust
Laws nba nfl do it thru agreement with the union

Reaction Score
It's not even worth arguing with him. His favorite UConn player is always whoever Hurley isn't playing that year. Once Ball is getting minutes next year he'll move on and complain Abraham or Nowell aren't playing enough

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It's not even worth arguing with him. His favorite UConn player is always whoever Hurley isn't playing that year. Once Ball is getting minutes next year he'll move on and complain Abraham or Nowell aren't playing enough
I think the other guy you’re referencing is Hawkins? One of the main scorers on a national championship team and lottery pick?

Not sure what other player fits what you’re talking about.

Reaction Score
I think the other guy you’re referencing is Hawkins? One of the main scorers on a national championship team and lottery pick?

Not sure what other player fits what you’re talking about.
It's been plenty of guys, including Hawkins who you're too blind to see was getting tons of minutes his freshman year too.

But the fact that you can sit on here and complain about how Dan Hurley is allocating minutes in back to back championship seasons is just so absurdly dumb. If I didn't know better I'd think you were trolling

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It's been plenty of guys, including Hawkins who you're too blind to see was getting tons of minutes his freshman year too.

But the fact that you can sit on here and complain about how Dan Hurley is allocating minutes in back to back championship seasons is just so absurdly dumb. If I didn't know better I'd think you were trolling
Who are these guys and when did I say anything about Solo’s minutes this year in this thread.

Reaction Score
McNeely is in high school.
And in the fall McNeeley will be in college. At that time he may well be serving as a potential backup plan should Stewart and Ball not progress enough to demand 30 minutes a game every game - whether that is as a sharpshooter off the bench or perhaps more.

A rather high ceiling backup plan if you ask me.

Keep in mind that the last two years UConn started freshman and both years ended in national titles.

Reaction Score
URI’s Ray Allen sounds like a name that would work at UConn. Maybe Stanford’s Andre Stojakovic? New Mexico’s Jamal Mashburn? USC’s Bronny James?

It would be a one degree of separation from a hall of fame roster.

Reaction Score
Who are these guys and when did I say anything about Solo’s minutes this year in this thread.
You complained all the time about how many minutes RJ Cole and Tyrese Martin got, I distinctly remember you complaining all the time about Diggins not playing. You complained about Corey Floyd Jr not playing when he transferred.

And you have spent the last 5 months complaining about Ball not playing, I don't know why you'd even try to deny that

Reaction Score
You complained all the time about how many minutes RJ Cole and Tyrese Martin got, I distinctly remember you complaining all the time about Diggins not playing. You complained about Corey Floyd Jr not playing when he transferred.

And you have spent the last 5 months complaining about Ball not playing, I don't know why you'd even try to deny that

We should just play even minutes like a middle school team. Then no one's feelings will be hurt and we can win 7 games all year. The other teams will get to feel good about themselves then too!

Reaction Score
URI’s Ray Allen sounds like a name that would work at UConn. Maybe Stanford’s Andre Stojakovic? New Mexico’s Jamal Mashburn? USC’s Bronny James?

It would be a one degree of separation from a hall of fame roster.
The Kentucky fans think Jamal Mashburn Jr. is a Kentucky lock. :)

I'm not sold on children of super-rich NBA stars. Kids raised with a silver spoon in their mouths tend to have less of the internal fire to be great that kids coming from lesser means seem to have.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom