The transfer portal opens today | Page 36 | The Boneyard

The transfer portal opens today

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’m sure Hurley will be completely forthright about everyone’s role on the team next year. Starting spots and PT in this program are very clearly earned and not just given. Solo could have gone to a lesser program and coach for more PT as a freshman and he decided not to. I’m sure he will be a key piece next year but will very likely have that option again.
I do not believe that to be the standard for transfers based on what we’ve seen from over the years. The next time a transfer isn’t given all the opportunity in the world immediately will be the first for us.

Reaction Score
Of the top 10 guys in the portal you would think few of then would have Uconn as their top choice. Of course that is wishful thinking, but that should be the mindset.

Oh I forgot, if you go to Uconn you need to give 100% effort on 2.5 hour intense practices AND play defense. Hard pass for kids these days.

Reaction Score
Of the top 10 guys in the portal you would think few of then would have Uconn as their top choice. Of course that is wishful thinking, but that should be the mindset.

Oh I forgot, if you go to Uconn you need to give 100% effort on 2.5 hour intense practices AND play defense. Hard pass for kids these days.
For most it will boil down to $$$. Mayne he is homesick and wants to come back to CT.

Reaction Score

Hard practices were phase 1.

This is phase 2, you send a bunch to the NBA (in progress) and then recruit a super team of portal transfers guaranteed play time with light practices over your existing base of players who practice hard. You win the natty and more players go to the NBA.

Finally for phase 3, you have the played over, tired existing players portal out and then all you do is portal a super team each year. No time needs to be spent on high school recruits, visits, not panning out. The school is 100% portalized.

Reaction Score
I do not believe that to be the standard for transfers based on what we’ve seen from over the years. The next time a transfer isn’t given all the opportunity in the world immediately will be the first for us.
Not really sure what your point is here. Transfers that are brought in specifically because the coach is trying to fill a hole and knows they’re starting caliber (Newton, Cam) will definitely be given every chance to start. The whole reason they’re brought in as transfers is to be a starter. Guys like Joey C and Diarra have been brought in as bench pieces.

The first group is very different than a high upside freshman who will hopefully develop enough to be a starter but hasn’t shown that ability yet.

Reaction Score
This has to be a bit at this point, you don't actually believe the things you're saying do you?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Hurley isn't going to hand someone a starting job because he thinks they might leave. That being said he can definitely earn 20 minutes a game even if he isn't a starter. I'm not going to speculate on whether or not he would be happy with that and frankly it's something that isn't allowed to be discussed here.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That's a huge loss for Seton Hall. I know, or at least read on nj.com, that Seton Hall's NIL situation is not that great and Davis has baby girl so he probably is looking for the bag and I can't blame him. I don't think he has anything against Shaheen or his teammates or that he looks down on Seton Hall's prospects for next year.

Nevertheless, he is good quality player. I wonder if UConn gives him a look.

There is no way to win at Seton Hall in the NIL era. Holloway has to get out of that job or it will be the last head coach job he ever gets.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I have a feeling that DH would be able to get certain guys for cheaper now because if you're on a UConn team you get:
  • more national notoriety (especially next year now that everyone's looking at us)
  • better shot at the NBA (especially if a good # of our 4-5 go)
  • pretty good chance to compete for a natty.

Vs.

An extra 200k for a year.

Super bowl half time performers do it for free.
An “extra” 200K when you’re 19 (and pros aren’t guaranteed) is nothing to scoff at.

With that said, the brilliant part of where UConn is right now, as you highlighted, is that we can pick our players AND pay them that extra 200K if it’s warranted.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Not really sure what your point is here. Transfers that are brought in specifically because the coach is trying to fill a hole and knows they’re starting caliber (Newton, Cam) will definitely be given every chance to start. The whole reason they’re brought in as transfers is to be a starter. Guys like Joey C and Diarra have been brought in as bench pieces.

The first group is very different than a high upside freshman who will hopefully develop enough to be a starter but hasn’t shown that ability yet.
There’s guys like Alleyne too that were more depth pieces but even after struggles all regular season was given all the opportunity to overcome them.

To your point, I agree transfers are usually brought in for a reason so they aren’t typically “earning” their playing time. Which would be my confusion if we brought one in to play over Solo. Would they be competing with him to earn their playing time or would they be brought in with the idea of being the starter?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hurley isn't going to hand someone a starting job because he thinks they might leave. That being said he can definitely earn 20 minutes a game even if he isn't a starter. I'm not going to speculate on whether or not he would be happy with that and frankly it's something that isn't allowed to be discussed here.
It’s less about handing someone a starting job and more about investing in a very talented player to get the most out of this guy you recruited to your program for a reason. It would be very helpful to the program and winning if we succeeded in doing that.

We’re suppose to pride ourselves on development, so I’m not sure why our coaches wouldn’t be confident in developing this highly talented player they have on their hands that seems to be very hard working with a good head on his shoulders.

Reaction Score
That’s what we all said last year and look what happened.
No it really isn't even remotely comparable. Entering last year our starting lineup included the reigning tournament MOP, a college ready 5* freshman who was one of the highest ranked recruits in UConn history, an all B10 caliber veteran guard, the same stretch PF and a all american talent center.

This year it would be the reigning 6th man of the year, 2 sophomores who have barely played significant minutes and are largely unproven but definitely have potential, AK, and 2 centers who are probably middle of the pack.

Reaction Score
An “extra” 200K when you’re 19 (and pros aren’t guaranteed) is nothing to scoff at.

With that said, the brilliant part of where UConn is right now, as you highlighted, is that we can pick our players AND pay them that extra 200K if it’s warranted.
That's the biggest hurdle. Any money to these college kids is bigger than 0.
I remember my first job out of UConn. I was living at home, they offered my 38k/year. I felt like Steve Cohen. I was going to mohegan every other weekend, bnb's in misquamicut

Reaction Score
To your point, I agree transfers are usually brought in for a reason so they aren’t typically “earning” their playing time. Which would be my confusion if we brought one in to play over Solo. Would they be competing with him to earn their playing time or would they be brought in with the idea of being the starter?
Huh? They did earn their PT through what they did prior to UConn and then presumably what they continued to do at UConn. Name one transfer in that started and you think was likely outplayed by a bench player. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

The argument you’re making makes zero sense.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Huh? They did earn their PT through what they did prior to UConn and then presumably what they continued to do at UConn. Name one transfer in that started and you think was likely outplayed by a bench player. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

The argument you’re making makes zero sense.
That’s not what I’m saying and I’m going to drop it here.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that DH would be able to get certain guys for cheaper now because if you're on a UConn team you get:
  • more national notoriety (especially next year now that everyone's looking at us)
  • better shot at the NBA (especially if a good # of our 4-5 go)
  • pretty good chance to compete for a natty.

Vs.

An extra 200k for a year.

Super bowl half time performers do it for free.
The things I'd put up with for an extra 200k for a year...

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score

And get off of my lawn...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom