The top 28 transfer portal commits and their fits | The Boneyard

The top 28 transfer portal commits and their fits

Status
Not open for further replies.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score

4. Tristen Newton | 6-5 guard | junior | Transferred from East Carolina to Connecticut

The Scout:
Unquestionably one of the best offensive creators this year in the American Athletic Conference, Newton departs East Carolina following the changeover in head coach from Joe Dooley to Mike Schwartz. He averaged 17.7 points, five rebounds and five assists last year, possessing the ability to play both on and off the ball as a lead or secondary offensive creator. He’s still really thin, but he reads the floor and will be significantly helped by playing with better players around him than he had at East Carolina. He sees skip passes and high-level pick-and-roll reads. He makes live dribble passes from creative angles and plays unselfishly. He’s conscientious on defense and knows where he needs to be rotationally and helps generally despite his thin frame. But more than that, he’s twitchy but plays with great pace off the bounce. He can attack the basket and finish. As a shooter, he’s got a good set shot and looks more comfortable off the catch, although there is some real ability to hit pull-ups if he has time behind ball-screens. He has more touch than his 33.3 percent mark from 3 would indicate, but he does need to clean up that shot off the bounce. This is a no-doubter high-major guard who should immediately step in as a starter at a good location next year. There is a real chance he develops into an NBA player if he gets the jumper mechanics down consistently as opposed to the twisting shot he has right now.

The Fit: The Huskies had a real need in the backcourt for a lead guard following R.J. Cole’s decision to start his professional career. In Newton, they get arguably the best one available in the portal. Whereas Cole was a smaller floor-general type following two high-scoring years at Howard, Newton is more of a creative combo guard who can really score off of pull-ups, make high-level passing reads, and attack in transition. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Connecticut speed things up a bit more next year, led by Newton as well as athletic wings Andre Jackson and Jordan Hawkins. With that trio and Adama Sanogo, the Huskies are now some transfer portal depth additions away from competing at the top of the Big East in 2023.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Not sure I would have characterized Cole as a "floor general" type, more of a score-first PG.

I actually think Newton offers more than Cole in terms of distributing for others. He, Jackson, and Hawkins should have a lot of success playing off of each other.

Reaction Score

4. Tristen Newton | 6-5 guard | junior | Transferred from East Carolina to Connecticut

The Scout:
Unquestionably one of the best offensive creators this year in the American Athletic Conference, Newton departs East Carolina following the changeover in head coach from Joe Dooley to Mike Schwartz. He averaged 17.7 points, five rebounds and five assists last year, possessing the ability to play both on and off the ball as a lead or secondary offensive creator. He’s still really thin, but he reads the floor and will be significantly helped by playing with better players around him than he had at East Carolina. He sees skip passes and high-level pick-and-roll reads. He makes live dribble passes from creative angles and plays unselfishly. He’s conscientious on defense and knows where he needs to be rotationally and helps generally despite his thin frame. But more than that, he’s twitchy but plays with great pace off the bounce. He can attack the basket and finish. As a shooter, he’s got a good set shot and looks more comfortable off the catch, although there is some real ability to hit pull-ups if he has time behind ball-screens. He has more touch than his 33.3 percent mark from 3 would indicate, but he does need to clean up that shot off the bounce. This is a no-doubter high-major guard who should immediately step in as a starter at a good location next year. There is a real chance he develops into an NBA player if he gets the jumper mechanics down consistently as opposed to the twisting shot he has right now.

The Fit: The Huskies had a real need in the backcourt for a lead guard following R.J. Cole’s decision to start his professional career. In Newton, they get arguably the best one available in the portal. Whereas Cole was a smaller floor-general type following two high-scoring years at Howard, Newton is more of a creative combo guard who can really score off of pull-ups, make high-level passing reads, and attack in transition. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Connecticut speed things up a bit more next year, led by Newton as well as athletic wings Andre Jackson and Jordan Hawkins. With that trio and Adama Sanogo, the Huskies are now some transfer portal depth additions away from competing at the top of the Big East in 2023.
Alleyne also #30 on this list for what it’s worth.

30. Nahiem Alleyne | 6-4 guard | senior | Transferred from Virginia Tech to UConn

The Scout:
Alleyne should generate some interest because of his shooting. He made 153 3s in three seasons at Virginia Tech, knocking them down at an impressive 38.7 percent clip. He’s just an average athlete and doesn’t do a lot else offensively, but that shooting will play. Defensively, he’ll battle and can play up a position or two because you’re not going to move him. He’s strong and best when he can body up his man. He can get hung up on screens and isn’t that quick, but again, he’s going to fight on that end. He’s started 84 of 90 games in his career, averaged 9.7 points and has now played on back-to-back NCAA Tournament teams. This is a solid piece who fits a very defined role.

The Fit: The Huskies needed some shooting after graduating their best three 3-point shooters in RJ Cole, Tyrese Martin and Tyler Polley. So Alleyne fits a need there. He’ll likely battle Jordan Hawkins for a starting spot alongside fellow transfer Tristen Newton. Newton is a guard who needs the ball in his hands and Alleyne is more of a spot-up shooter, so they fit well alongside one another.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Not sure I would have characterized Cole as a "floor general" type, more of a score-first PG.

I actually think Newton offers more than Cole in terms of distributing for others. He, Jackson, and Hawkins should have a lot of success playing off of each other.

i think labeling Cole a floor general is a polite way of saying he is shorter and played a little slower and didnt have any freak like athleticism on display. like he was constantly surveying the floor. very nba backup pg style of play

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Newton is better than Cole? Really?

Reaction Score
He's saying Newton is better at distributing the ball which I have to agree with. Newton averaged 5apg with a terrible team around him. He's a threat to take guys off the dribble, can hit the three, and distribute so he will fit in very well with Hawk, Jackson, Sanogo. There's a pretty good chance he turns out to be better than Cole once it's all said and done. Not to take away all that RJ has done the last two years for us but we're looking to get further than the 1st round of the tournament.

Reaction Score
Easily has the potential. And I’m a big RJ fan. But Newton’s much taller, more athletic, a better passer and scored 18/game as the primary scorer, ball handler and facilitator. With improved talent around him, he could easily be better than Cole.

Reaction Score
"better" in terms of what? i would think his pro prospects have to be significantly better just based off size and athleticism. is he a better point guard for this team than cole was? remains to be seen obvi but i don't think anyone should rule that out. looks like at the very least he should be a comparable scoring/shooter who gets to the line more. i think the situation he is stepping into is going to be (hopefully) better than what cole left, in terms of having spacing and shooters surrounding him

Very possible that he is. 6’4 pass first point guard is just what this team needs.

interested to see how the size and length helps on defense. although cole was rock solid, this may help if they want to do a switch-everything approach on the perimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom