The team with no shooters | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The team with no shooters

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My bad, the stats i was looking at only included guys who have made a 3 pointer this season - we have a few 0-fers, so worse than Polley. But still, 20% while tied for 1st place on volume isn't a good look.
Ill take 17 pts from him every game

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes. This. Because there is every reason to think our percentage won’t go down at all when we’re guarded with a different level of athlete.
That sounds plausible, but open looks are open looks no matter the skill level of the guy not guarding you.

Reaction Score
Is shooting nearly 38% as a team from range. As it stands that’s 82nd nationally. Not great but not dire. Gaffney has looked incredibly smooth. Cole is Cole. Martin and Polley are streaky. Martin currently hot and Polley cold. Akok has been a nice surprise and Jackson hit a couple last night but if we are playing with a low ceiling in Atlantis he may be out of bounds. I feel like we should forget about Whaley as an option TBH. Samson came in with a reputation as a big who could shoot but I’m not seeing it. Maybe he just needs to adjust to the college sight lines.

Oh, and Jordan Hawkins.

We’re going to be fine.
Gaffney must learn to make layups. He misses too many of them.

Reaction Score
Gaffney must learn to make layups. He misses too many of them.
I wonder if it's as simple as keeping his eye on the target through releasing the shot.

Seems like he takes his eye off the rim too early or doesn't look on reverse layups.

Reaction Score
I wonder if it's as simple as keeping his eye on the target through releasing the shot.

Seems like he takes his eye off the rim too early or doesn't look on reverse layups.

I don't see how a kid gets to this level without knowing to look at the rim when he shoots. But I mean, it's possible... more likely I'd think is a lack of creativity attacking the rim and his general lack of physicality.

Reaction Score
That sounds plausible, but open looks are open looks no matter the skill level of the guy not guarding you.

That’s correct. You think we’re going to get as high a percentage of the looks being open against MSU or Baylor?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That’s correct. You think we’re going to get as high a percentage of the looks being open against MSU or Baylor?
But we were talking about shooting percentage, not totals. If we have fewer open looks there should be fewer takes.

Reaction Score
But we were talking about shooting percentage, not totals. If we have fewer open looks there should be fewer takes.
All shots are tougher against better athletes. Shots in the paint, short jumpers and 3s. The shots you get against good defenses aren't as good. This really isn't rocket science.

Reaction Score
I don't see how a kid gets to this level without knowing to look at the rim when he shoots. But I mean, it's possible... more likely I'd think is a lack of creativity attacking the rim and his general lack of physicality.

Ha, probably fair.

I'm saying that more in a "complete the catch" sort of way. He seems to relax once he has the shot. Yes, I can tell from my couch, lol.

I'm a big proponent of shoot to make the shot, not to take the shot. I want Gafney to not be happy with getting to the rim. Get to the rim to score. Physicality is a key component to that.

I'm confident Hurley is already working on cutting out the "shoot to take" 3 point shots with his coaching of Samson J. last game and comments regarding Polley's first game shot to the press today.

Hopefully as roles, sets, expectations from coaches keep evolving the guys will be ready to shoot expecting to make.

Reaction Score
Gaffney has made some tough shots at the rim in his time at UConn. I don't see this as an issue.

Reaction Score
Hawkins chucked from 7 feet beyond the line, we need him to take good shots. I'm sure they saw and went over that with him on tape.

Reaction Score
Every team/coach has to play to its strengths. This team will play tenacious D-hit the boards-outhustle their opponents.
Defensive side of the ball/Boards will initiate plenty of offensive opportunities.

Not all winning teams/rosters are filled with just shooters

Reaction Score
Hawkins chucked from 7 feet beyond the line, we need him to take good shots. I'm sure they saw and went over that with him on tape.
I'm sure that's a practiced shot. It's a good shot in the NBA, which is where he's headed, and if he can hit it from there it's a good shot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All shots are tougher against better athletes. Shots in the paint, short jumpers and 3s. The shots you get against good defenses aren't as good. This really isn't rocket science.
This is why lawyers need to stick to the law and stay away from rocket science. Open looks are open looks, even against good teams. By definition. Even better than open looks is 15-26 from 3.

Reaction Score
This is why lawyers need to stick to the law and stay away from rocket science. Open looks are open looks, even against good teams. By definition. Even better than open looks is 15-26 from 3.
They shot the lights out from 3 today, no question.

What a statistically odd game. We shot 58% from 3 and significantly outrebounded them, and it still took double overtime to win.

Reaction Score
They shot the lights out from 3 today, no question.

What a statistically odd game. We shot 58% from 3 and significantly outrebounded them, and it still took double overtime to win.
Way too many unforced errors/turnovers. If we reduced turnovers by 4 or 5 we win in a runaway. Hopefully ball possession gets better because if it does, then this could be a top 10 team.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Way too many unforced errors/turnovers. If we reduced turnovers by 4 or 5 we win in a runaway. Hopefully ball possession gets better because if it does, then this could be a top 10 team.

Not only unforced but live ball which Auburn converted.

Auburn had several outlets passes which went out of bounds. Unforced but created a dead ball change of possession.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom