The Rutgers/UCONN win win solution | The Boneyard

The Rutgers/UCONN win win solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey folks - we are now kindered spirits - we are on the edge of the abyss. I've got the solution that puts us both where we want to be - I posted on the RU rivals board, but wanted to share with you all.
----------------------------------------
Pretty apparent this whole mess has set a lot of things in motion. I am seeing this on twitter that Uconn and RU are really putting the pressure on to get into the ACC. The ACC seems receptive to going to 16, but wants Notre Dame to go with UCONN. They may get to a point where they give ND an all or nothing. I know Pernetti has a relationship with Jim Delaney. Its now time to pull out the nuclear option.

While I know the B1G is playing it uninterested, HOWEVER THEY WILL NOT LET ND GO TO THE ACC UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Here's the play.

UCONN keeps pushing for the ACC - Pernetti goes to Delaney with the following offer. Secure a pledge from the Big 10 that they will invite both UCONN and RUTGERS TO THE B10, (which is a much better deal and UConn will take)and will do this only if the ACC offers ND. Think about how brillant this is.

1. It boxes the ACC in big time. Aside from RU and UCONN, there are no other fits for the ACC. People talk about WVU - I love those crazy fellas, but they are not a fit. There are only 3 schools that are acceptable for the pinheads at the ACC - RU, ND & UCONN. So even if ND accepts, UCONN will not because THE BIG 10 is a 10 times better spot for a flagship State Schools - they would never turn down the B10 for the ACC if both offers where there. Delaney says - "Where you going for #16 now Swofford?"

2. It leaves ND with an easy out - they do not want to go to a conference but are feeling pressure. This takes the decision out of there hands because no offer will be made.

3. Why would the B10 do it? Why would they risk offering RU and UCONN if ND is offered by the ACC? One, because they wont have too. And two, because both schools are very good fits if they were admitted (while not AAU, UCONN is above us in the USNEWS rankings - they could be put on the path for AAU with the B10's help).

This protects the one thing more than any that Delany wants - Notre Dame. And it also protects RU as a sports entity. We could go down the tubes without this spot. Why is that important, because we will be less valuable to the B10 down the road. And as usualm the B10 can come back and get what ever schools it wants in 5-10 years (RU, UMD, UVA, UCONN whomever),

We have to play our strengths here.

1. Delaney wants ND more than anything
2. The ACC has no acceptable schools to get to 16 without Rutgers and UCONN.
3. ND does not want to join a conference.

Think about - critique it - add your thoughts - share it with the UCONN boards - send it to Pernetti
-------------------
I'll be back later to see what you think

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
There's one small problem with your theory: the Big 10 has to want UConn and Rutgers. Interesting idea though.

Ultimately Notre Dame will probably join the Big 10. I know there have been leaks that suggest otherwise, but the Big 10 makes sense for them.

Reaction Score
There's one small problem with your theory: the Big 10 has to want UConn and Rutgers. Interesting idea though.

Ultimately Notre Dame will probably join the Big 10. I know there have been leaks that suggest otherwise, but the Big 10 makes sense for them.
The Big 10 may not want to expand now, and may not want to take Rutgers and UConn now, BUT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO THEY WANT TO LOSE ND. The other thing that could happen is that not could Delaney offer Rutgers and UConn, he could also offer Maryland and Georgia Tech (or Virginia and Virgina Tech) and gut that freakin conference.

The teams I mention are real candidates for the Big Ten in the future. You don't see Florida State on this list. If the BIG ever expands, these are the schools that will be chosen.

But the #1, 1a, 1b candidate for the B10 is Notre Dame - nobody else is close

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What if the Big Ten doesn't want us because adding more teams dillutes per-school payouts?

Reaction Score
They may not want to, but it will in the future - they DO NOT WANT TO LOSE NOTRE DAME

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I hope you are right. In terms of market and potential, RU and UConn offer a lot to the Big 10. Delaney is sly and even if he is interested in us he'll keep quiet.

Reaction Score
Again, ND doesn't want to go to a conference, this move assures them of not having that option right now.
But keeping valuable properties like Rutgers and UCONN in this purgatory is not acceptable either.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I hope you are right. In terms of market and potential, RU and UConn offer a lot to the Big 10. Delaney is sly and even if he is interested in us he'll keep quiet.
Delaney may very well be sly but one thing he demonstrated clearly during the spring of 2010 (when the B-10 expansion carousel hit full swing) is that he does not know how to keep quiet.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Delaney may very well be sly but one thing he demonstrated clearly during the spring of 2010 (when the B-10 expansion carousel hit full swing) is that he does not know how to keep quiet.
???

Was there any indication that Nebraska was the target instead of Mizzou? Maybe my memory is failing me but I though it was pretty quiet.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
That was kept under wraps solely because it was a very late consideration. Every few days for months Delaney made public quotes on what the B-10(11) was considering and about a half dozen schools were conviced they were getting an invite.

Reaction Score
"What if the Big Ten doesn't want us because adding more teams dillutes per-school payouts?"
I've heard that the Big-10 has the best tv deal in the country in terms escalating the value of the contract for adding teams, thats means the big-10 would be better off adding uconn and rutgers than a conference such as the big-12

Reaction Score
Whether the Big 10 want's us or not is not is not as important as everyone believing they want us.
As long as the the threat exists that Rutgers and us could go to the big 10
The ACC has to be scared. This isolates the Cuse and BC
If the ACC takes us it won't be because they want us it will be because they fear the Big 10

Reaction Score
I think it's a cool theory. I hope we both land softly. ND can go piss up a rope.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
My only worry is that the ACC's move to add Pitt/Cuse was a "have to" move. Waylon's posts about the BE's TV contract negotiating power were hypothetically right until this move was made, which blew away his assertions but also neutered the BE. At this point I think the BiG and the ACC are in a staring contest and it could take months for someone to blink. There are no more "have to" moves. The ACC's fear is that the the BiG or the SEC go after their existing members or go after their candidates (RU. UConn, ND). I don't think there is an exist fee south of $50 million that could protect the ACC from a raid by either conference. There have been lots of surprise moves (BYU to indy, TCU to BE, Nebraska to BiG, TAMU announcement, Pitt/Cuse). RU and UConn to the BiG along with ND and Maryland would pretty much be the dream scenario, and that would be an absolute shocker. It would also give the BTN contract negotiation leverage from Boston to DC, which would be a cash windfall on top of their little cash cow. That move would put the ACC's northeast schools at a disadvantage against the BiG northeast schools and the southern school are already in that position versus their SEC counterparts. Bottom line, the ACC would be firmly entrenched at the bottom of the BCS pecking order and would probably be passed by a dysfunctional B12 with UL/BYU/WVU. RU/UConn to the ACC in itself doesn't necessarily strengthen the ACC, but.....if they can leverage the expanded media footprint into a series of regional networks similar to what the PAC12 did in addition to some extra cash from ESPN, the landscape changes. That could be the stroke that the ACC needs to level the playing field.

Reaction Score
You make some good points. I've stated before that Pres Herbst sees us as a much better all around fit with the Big 10 and is clearly talking to them. I agree with you that the AAU won't be a hindrence since she is committed to getting us there. Frankly, I still see us going to The Big10 despite all the ACC chatter. As smug as they are, The Big 10 isn't stupid. They can't afford to let all those Northeast/NY area eyeballs for the Big 10 network get captured by the ACC. The Big10's best hope, given the ACC's $20M exit fee, coupled with their apparant re-negotiation of the Espn TV contract (making it harder to poach a Maryland, for example)--is to bring in both UConn and Rutgers, or ND and one of them.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If the BIG were to land ND, then bring in UConn, Rutgers and MD it will have completed a master stroke. Those 4 schools would make the BTN the most watched sports network from Boston to DC.

Reaction Score
I say take RU/UConn now.... then offer a Maryland/BC when it is time for Super conferences, which may never come but that depends on ND.

Would make for a solid East division. ACC would be in shambles at 13 clubs, having to settle for a mid major to balance it. I think 14 teams is the number for now. SEC will get to 14 with WVU or Mizzou, only the PAC and Big 12 stay at 12.

If the super conferences ever come about, eventually OU/KU to the PAC. SEC lands Mizzou and Louisville or TCU. B1G takes ND and possibly ISU as a filler if they can't lure an ACC club. ACC could end up with UT and TTech/Baylor with the LHN in place.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
im not sure how much more $ the acc can actually get lets say if they add ruty/uconn for 16. but the big10 is in a different ballpark $ wise. they have a network. i can see uconn/ruty putting enough pressure to make this happen. they get nd with uconn/ruty and they top if off with either mizuu or kansas. between uconn/ruty/nd they get to add a zillion tvs in nj/ct and most importantly nyc, plus the 4th team area...all that new tv viewing may get them even bigger #'s to the point that adding that^ would make sense. that would easily be the death of the acc. talk about a turn of events. why would that kill the acc? becuase then the sec needs to grab at least 2 teams from the acc. you pick em vt/fsu etc...then the acc is without 2 or more fball heaveyweights and is left with bc/cuse/pitt/duke/wake/unc/uva/md which are all bcs teams but nothing special. those teams 8 out of 10 years cant win a bcs game...maybe a left over clemson or gt does well, but the fball product is horrible in that acc overall. they play great bball, but they cant even claim msg every year with the Big10 having uconn/ruty/nd. another look-psu right now is #1 in the northeast recruiting wise. for the most part they get who they want over pitt/cuse/uconn/ruty/bc. now with ruty/uconn also in the Big10, it makes it even harder for pitt/cuse/bc to recruit the area.

Reaction Score
i agree that the b1g best play seems to be to offer RU/UCONN now, for two reasons:
1.) keeps several northeast ports open for when ND is finally forced to join a conference - before the ACC can lock down the media and alumni rich areas
2.) creates a potential northeast pod (Penn State, RU, Uconn) to lure UMD in as a fourth - w/out that it seems B1G is a stretch for UMD since they would be so geographically out of place

aside from landing texas, this seems to be the best realistic outcome for the B1G IF they plan on expanding again. thus i think texas must be holding the b1g still, leading delaney on by hinting that they may eventually be in play.

Reaction Score
RU is UConn's frenemy in all this. RU may actually be in better position than UConn. It all depends on ND and whether you think ND is ACC or Big10 leaning. If Big10, then RU is in better position than UConn. If ACC, then it's the reverse.

Say we woke up tomorrow and ND and Rutgers were joining the B10. That would be an awful outcome for UConn.
If tomorrow ND and UConn join the ACC, that would be awful for RU.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that the B1G would need schools like UConn or Rutgers in order to be able to lure Maryland but I absolutely believe that without two other east/northeast additions (such as Rutgers and Maryland as suggested above), if Penn St is our only reasonably close conference member, a move by UConn to the B1G could have major issues.

It sounds as if the Rutgers poster who suggested that we join them as a package deal is readily admitting to the fact that in terms of being a sports brand, we are well ahead of them and he basically wants Rutgers to ride out coattails. I don't believe that we are yet at a point however where our coattails are substantial enough to be ridden so this strategy may at best be an excersize in futility and at worst be damaging to bost schools.

Reaction Score
Is this a game strategy discussion? I didn't know game strategy was this much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom