OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2 | Page 15 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Connie Dover is a midwestern singer of American and British Isles folk. This one was written by a Welsh songwright named Huw Williams. It's so beautiful and tragic, it often brings tears to my eyes.

I recently saw Julie Andrews and she remarked on her memories of the Blitz and the WW2. This song so eloquently represents what she was recalling from so many years ago. Ms Andrews was the about the age of the children in the song. Amazing lady, terrible times. Read the lyrics and appreciate their meaning today. "... stifle all your heartache , till it's safe again to cry,".

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I wasn't familiar with that one, Scud. I own most of Traffic's output, and thought I was familiar with all of it. I see this is from their last album, which I guess I've been missing all this time.

Reaction Score
Certainly an obscure song from Jan and Dean. Not their typical feel good beach/car song.

Reaction Score
This one is obscure, but it was on the charts back in the early 60's. It's a poignant memory for me, as it reminds me of my grandfather:

Reaction Score
This is just an incredibly beautiful version of the JJ Cale song "Magnolia", covered by Chris Smither:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Toots Hibbert has got to be one of the happiest people on earth. I was listening to this one earlier in the shop.

Reaction Score
ZZ Top's Blue Jean Blues - from their 1975 album Fandango:

Reaction Score
I can't tell whether that's a version of Driftin' by Charles Brown or not.

I'd say somewhat similar, but different. More lyrics (and different) in the Earl Hooker song too.

Reaction Score
Here is another that I heard on my oldies internet radio station this morning. Probably not politically correct so I'm sure it will become even more obscure with the passage of time. ;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have a new, obscure and forgotten - Tinted Windows. A one-off, power-pop "supergroup" from 2010. I was tipped to them when their bass player Adam Schlesinger (Fountians of Wayne) died from COVID. It's a great album from a group I never knew existed. I don't think they were very successful. More proof that rock is dead.

Reaction Score
When you think of James Brown, this song probably does not pop into mind, so it's a bit obscure I would say. But it may be arguably his most impactful song ever:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Also Old, not obscure but somewhat forgotten ..

When Dusty died, I got a greatest hits album. I didn't know an awful lot about her, but heard a few snippets on NPR in a remembrance spot. This is the first cut on the album and absolutely blows me away. She gave every song her all, never held anything back. She had a reputation for being a perfectionist, and the results are consistent with that.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Janis Ian has a beautiful voice, a great talent woman.
(at Seventeen)

I love love love Janis Ian. I think I have about her first ten albums or so. She still sounded like a kid on about the first four, then there was one that was kind of different, then her real grownup albums started with Stars and Between the Lines. (It's tough when you're making your "comeback" when you're 23.) This is a nice little ditty from that in-between album, Present Company, which was widely panned, but it was probably the most positive album she made.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Cool @Scud49 . I was unfamiliar with Erica Wheeler, but it immediately made me think of Cheryl Wheeler. I wondered if they are sisters, apparently not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom