The Official Mets 2021 Thread | Page 19 | The Boneyard

The Official Mets 2021 Thread

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I mean, I’m no doctor, but come on. Elbow inflammation significant enough to keep him shut down when he already hasn’t pitched in a month?

I’m sorry. I am on record as liking Jake more than the Mets themselves, but if it were my money there is zero chance I am signing this guy to a top of market deal next season unless things miraculously reverse course. Literally nothing sounds promising.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what the market actually was for him but I really wish the Mets traded Dom this past off-season. He hit way too well last year compared to every other year as a Pro that I just wanted to sell high.

1B is the “easiest” position that I don’t even care about making Alonso a DH to allow Dom to play 1B. I’d much rather keep Davis (who I also would’ve looked to move last off-season) as the DH.

Reaction Score
I'd imagine they'll look to move Dom this offseason, Davis has earned the DH spot and just not really a spot for him on the team next year. Personally I hope they revisit a Buxton trade with Minnesota, he'd be a great fit with the Mets

Reaction Score
I'd imagine they'll look to move Dom this offseason, Davis has earned the DH spot and just not really a spot for him on the team next year. Personally I hope they revisit a Buxton trade with Minnesota, he'd be a great fit with the Mets
I wouldn’t hate trading both of them if the value is there. I don’t need a guy who is only a DH. I’d love to use that spot as a way to get everyone a few days off from the field.

Also, for all you other NL fans, I think a great compromise would be a DH in both leagues but no player can DH more than like 50 games. This would force guys who suck ass as fielders to actually earn their keep and develop their game.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what the market actually was for him but I really wish the Mets traded Dom this past off-season. He hit way too well last year compared to every other year as a Pro that I just wanted to sell high.

1B is the “easiest” position that I don’t even care about making Alonso a DH to allow Dom to play 1B. I’d much rather keep Davis (who I also would’ve looked to move last off-season) as the DH.
I love Petey at 1B. I hope he’s there the next ten years.

Reaction Score
I love Petey at 1B. I hope he’s there the next ten years.
Agreed. Assuming there is a DH I’d still play him there 110+ times a year and let him DH 30+.

Also…LFGM!

Reaction Score
I think we've seen Jake for the final time this year sadly...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think we've seen Jake for the final time this year sadly...
Yeah, I've obviously felt that for a while. Even if we manage to stay in the hunt in this mediocre division, it's hard to have much hope for the postseason without him.

So, is the thinking that we re-sign him to a top-of-market, long-term starting pitcher contract this off-season, to avoid having him go into the season on a contract year? If so, I will be interested to see what that number is. This is a very tough situation imo.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I've obviously felt that for a while. Even if we manage to stay in the hunt in this mediocre division, it's hard to have much hope for the postseason without him.

So, is the thinking that we re-sign him to a top-of-market, long-term starting pitcher contract this off-season, to avoid having him go into the season on a contract year? If so, I will be interested to see what that number is. This is a very tough situation imo.
Yeah I'd hand him a blank check this offseason and let him fill in the blank with whatever dollar value he wants. They cannot let him come anywhere close to letting him walk away, that would be a catastrophe. I don't even think it's really a decision.

I know you're very down on him and the Mets right now but if you take a step back and be objective I think even you'd agree. I'm curious why you think this 1 season with a few injuries would negate everything he's done the past 7 years where he's had no injuries?

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm with the blank check idea for Jake, no question.

Is Baez a free agent, or does he have one more year? If so, that was such a galaxy brain move, can't wait to see him and Frankie up the middle - eventually.

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm with the blank check idea for Jake, no question.

Is Baez a free agent, or does he have one more year? If so, that was such a galaxy brain move, can't wait to see him and Frankie up the middle - eventually.
He's a FA after this year, but I really hope they sign him long term. He's talked openly about wanting to play with Lindor so I think there's a solid to good chance that happens

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah I'd hand him a blank check this offseason and let him fill in the blank with whatever dollar value he wants. They cannot let him come anywhere close to letting him walk away, that would be a catastrophe. I don't even think it's really a decision.

I know you're very down on him and the Mets right now but if you take a step back and be objective I think even you'd agree. I'm curious why you think this 1 season with a few injuries would negate everything he's done the past 7 years where he's had no injuries?
I am down on our chances this season because of the injuries. I am bullish on our future if Syndergaard can be a two or three and Jake can be our one.

But I really don't know about Jake's durability at this point. There is no precedent for what he did and there is no clarity whatsoever about what his injury is or how it was caused. Listening to Ron Darling has been the most insightful for me, and I tend to agree with him that the injuries are all related, in that body tends to overcompensate to protect an injury, and that leads to an imbalance and another injury. I also agree that there is a difference between being hurt and being broken, and I don't know where Jake is on that scale--I don't think anyone does. Then there is his age. He is not young.

All that said, I get the PR issue and I get that Uncle $teve has the money, so maybe it's a moot point. But if it handcuffs our ability to spend elsewhere and Jake is never able to regain form as consistent number one starter, it's not going to turn out well. Guys like Cohen don't have money because they spend it foolishly; they are generally shrewd investors. Look at the Rocker non-deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mets seek more clarity on whether this is a chronic issue before breaking the bank.

Reaction Score
I am down on our chances this season because of the injuries. I am bullish on our future if Syndergaard can be a two or three and Jake can be our one.

But I really don't know about Jake's durability at this point. There is no precedent for what he did and there is no clarity whatsoever about what his injury is or how it was caused. Listening to Ron Darling has been the most insightful for me, and I tend to agree with him that the injuries are all related, in that body tends to overcompensate to protect an injury, and that leads to an imbalance and another injury. I also agree that there is a difference between being hurt and being broken, and I don't know where Jake is on that scale--I don't think anyone does. Then there is his age. He is not young.

All that said, I get the PR issue and I get that Uncle $teve has the money, so maybe it's a moot point. But if it handcuffs our ability to spend elsewhere and Jake is never able to regain form as consistent number one starter, it's not going to turn out well. Guys like Cohen don't have money because they spend it foolishly; they are generally shrewd investors. Look at the Rocker non-deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mets seek more clarity on whether this is a chronic issue before breaking the bank.
I guess my point is this isn't a pitcher who's had chronic and recurring injuries so it doesn't really worry me. He's not young but he also doesn't have a ton of innings on his arm because he started pitching so late. This just really seems like a complete non-issue to me. Timing sucks that he's gonna miss half a season but he's not trying to pitch through it which is when you overcompensate and reinjure yourself. He's letting it heal and will be at 100% next year

Reaction Score
No situational or clutch hitting, par for the course at this point. After 4.5 months I think it's safe to say some of these bats just aren't good

Reaction Score
In a weird way, we were almost more clutch with the BenchMob no names there for a month or two.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No situational or clutch hitting, par for the course at this point. After 4.5 months I think it's safe to say some of these bats just aren't good
Some of these arms, too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Wow. I mean, what he's saying is not wrong, and everyone is thinking the same, but I don't see the purpose in tweeting this. Although I suppose if Steinbrenner were alive this is the type of thing he'd be doing if his team was stinking up the joint like the Mets have been.

The players deserve criticism and likely so does the coaching in some respect, but they are his players and his coaches and I wouldn't expect this to lead to better results on or off the field. I'm of the mindset that you deal with this stuff in-house and don't air your dirty laundry.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And I just got an email from the Mets announcing that 2022 season ticket plans are now on sale. Lol.

Reaction Score
Every time I'm ready to give up they give me a glimmer of hope like today

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom