The Official 2024 NY Mets Thread | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 NY Mets Thread

Reaction Score
Less than 2 weeks until pitchers and catchers report and....

1) No significant FA adds this offseason.
2) No extension for Pete.
3) A bunch of middling 4.00+ ERA type mid inning relievers and defensive only outfielders added to last year's team.
4) No answer at 3B with Mauricio out and no faith in Baty as a full time option there.

I'm seeing projections of 87-88 wins and a wild card spot. Is anyone really excited about the prospects of this season? Seems like we're just keeping the seat warm until some of those prospects are ready, then maybe we make a multi-year run?

Are Justin Turner and/or JD Martinez must signs?

Reaction Score
Turner signed with the Blue Jays. I'd love for them to sign Martinez. I think he would really help lengthen the lineup and take some pressure off of Pete.

After Yamamoto decided to live in Ohtani's shadow, I'm happy with what they did for the rotation. Snell isn't someone I want to give a big contract to and there really isn't anyone else out there. At least now they've got enough low risk starters that guys like Megill and Peterson (assuming he gets back healthy) are depth starters. The putrid performance of their backend guys last year really tanked the season. If all their guys after Senga pitch like 3/4 starters, the team should be much improved, especially if Diaz is close to what he was pre-injury.

There are probably like a dozen players who if you told me they were great or completely sucked I wouldn't be shocked. The good news it that if a few have bounce back years but the team struggles, there are pieces to flip at the deadline for more prospects. Cohen should be able to buy better ones by eating the remaining salary like last year. While that's obviously not exciting, it's at least good to know that option is there and it's another way to use Cohen's money. Even though last year didn't work out, the Scherzer and Verlander deals were worth it as we essentially bought some good prospects with them.

Speaking of prospects, it's nice to have another wave of guys at the higher levels. I'm really intrigued by Gilbert, Jett, and Acuna. Lower expectations also allows the team to give Baty and Vientos another shot. It's good to know if you can count on them in any way for 2025 and on. It sucks Mauricio got hurt because I want to throw as much at the wall as possible and see who sticks. Alvarez hit a wall last year but it'll be fun if he can get his average up while keeping the power numbers.

Reaction Score
Great post. I agree I thought Snell might be a sneaky get, but seeing how long and how much he's apparently asking for? NFW. My fear for the pitching staff is more starts by Peterson, Megill.....Butto and Lucchesi that a contender should have.

I also did not mention Alvarez who looks in PHENOMENAL shape. Dropped a lot of that baby weight and looks like a rock. Would love to see him take another step.

And yes, I'm also curious just how much Diaz means to a team. He was such a factor 2 years ago I really wonder what last year would have been like with him. He could be a unicorn in the difference he makes coming back.

Reaction Score

This is tough with the few good SP they already have

Reaction Score
Less than 2 weeks until pitchers and catchers report and....

1) No significant FA adds this offseason.
2) No extension for Pete.
3) A bunch of middling 4.00+ ERA type mid inning relievers and defensive only outfielders added to last year's team.
4) No answer at 3B with Mauricio out and no faith in Baty as a full time option there.

I'm seeing projections of 87-88 wins and a wild card spot. Is anyone really excited about the prospects of this season? Seems like we're just keeping the seat warm until some of those prospects are ready, then maybe we make a multi-year run?

Are Justin Turner and/or JD Martinez must signs?
Excited, no. But I do think they're a wild card team. The offense should be good to great, and they've upgraded the defense and bullpen significantly. The rotation is a concern to me, but I'm cautiously optimistic. It's a transition year, but that should still result in a wild card berth.

I agree they should be signing JD Martinez to be the every day DH, but for some reason they seem content to roll with Mark Vientos and DJ Stewart. Hopefully some of the young guys like Baty and Vientos to start the year and midseason call ups like Gilbert, Acuna, Scott, Vasil can give them the boost they need to get a wild card berth. Scott is the one I'm most excited for, he's going to be a huge boost for the rotation

Reaction Score
From what I’m hearing this is not good for Senga. Similar to what Johan Santana dealt with. I hate to go all Frank the Tank right now but I feel like we are going to have like 40 different guys make starts and our staff if going to be a cluster f all season long.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Megill and Severino have impressed. I think the starters are better than many expected. The bats? Yikes.

Reaction Score
Megill and Severino have impressed. I think the starters are better than many expected. The bats? Yikes.
Agreed. Megill apparently now has the “spork” or a version of the “ghost fork”. I’ll take it!

Reaction Score
A big <sigh> on game 1. Decent pitching. No punch at all on offense.

Knee jerk? Mendoza looks like a typical Latino cliche machine. He’s gonna have to win me over and I have heard NOTHING promising so far. He’s a gray bucket of paint.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Mendoza line hitting. Appropriate for game 1. Marte almost tied it late. Looks like what was expected. Decent arms, no hitting.

Reaction Score
Almost three weeks with no activity in this thread. Seems fitting for the product on the field.

6 hrs for Pete should help build his trade value. Lindor has rumors of his bat speed dropping dangerously. Senga to the 60 day IL. JD Martinez still not in the lineup.

What a throwaway of a year.

Reaction Score
I figured I'd get more into the Mets now that the UConn season is over but it still hasn't happened. Not much that interests me about this team other than Alonso getting an extension and watching Alonso/Lindor/Alvarez every day

Reaction Score
Almost three weeks with no activity in this thread. Seems fitting for the product on the field.

6 hrs for Pete should help build his trade value. Lindor has rumors of his bat speed dropping dangerously. Senga to the 60 day IL. JD Martinez still not in the lineup.

What a throwaway of a year.
7-3 in last 10 after 0-5 start gives us some hope

Reaction Score
2 games over .500 now. I’ve been following along but SNY getting dropped by youtubetv has really diminished the amount I’ve seen this year.

Reaction Score
2 games over .500 now. I’ve been following along but SNY getting dropped by youtubetv has really diminished the amount I’ve seen this year.
Sorry to hear that. I was in a swirl the last few years. I changed to Dish and they didn't have SNY, so I got YouTube.tv and paid basically double per month. Then switched to Hulu and dropped both. Maybe check that out?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The City Connect jerseys are sweet as hell...

Mets.jpg

Reaction Score
Agreed. I hate the whole concept but think the Mets actually got it right.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Good to see a .500 west coast trip. Lindor finally had a breakout game and Garret? 4-0. He has been money.
We just need the freakin’ Braves to come back to earth.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Look into an IPTV on Amazon’s Firestick. I pay 8.99 a month. There are also free live TV (OLA is one) apps where SNY, YES, NESN are available. Those are hit and miss sometimes, but , free.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom