The Official 2023 New York Jets thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Official 2023 New York Jets thread

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Yeah...I heard possible Achilles. Same as Testaverde.

Awful awful news if true.

The Jets are truly cursed.

I really don't know why I am a football fan following the Jets and UConn.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
What do we think about the game tonight?

If it wasn't Rodgers starting...I would think the hype from this game would crush the team. I think he gives them confidence and calms them down a bit.

It feels like a low scoring game with defenses dominating. Both quarterbacks will play somewhat conservative.

I think the Jets score just enough and the Dline saves the game.

Jets 21 Bills 17.

(Now my paranoid Jets brain can also see Rodgers blowing out his knee in the first quarter and the Jets losing 41-0 just so they could be worse than the Giants...lol)
So...I missed guessing the score by one point...and I guessed Rodgers goes out for the year in the first quarter. But...they didn't lose the game 41-0. Hopefully he isn't done for the year, but it doesn't look good.

It's impossible to enjoy this win.

Reaction Score
Adam Shefter heard someone say he didn’t like “the twist of his calf” so it’s potentially an Achilles. Why would he even come out with that without knowing? Stupid

Guess they were right though. Holy crap feel bad for Jets fans, just awful!

Reaction Score
It's official, Rogers has an Achilles tear. He's done for at least this season and possibly longer.

There's a vido on-line that I can'tt find right now that shows his calf 'popping' on the play. he and the Jets knew right away what it was. I torn a calf muscle once and that was painful, this is worse.

I can't stand Rogers as a person; but I will never route for someone to get hurt and I feel real bad for the Gang Green fans.

Reaction Score
Yeah...I heard possible Achilles. Same as Testaverde.

Awful awful news if true.

The Jets are truly cursed.

I really don't know why I am a football fan following the Jets and UConn.
I watched the game at a bar in Milwuakee. Talked to several lifelong Packers fans before the game and they said there are two camps. The people who love Rodgers forever and want him to win the Super Bowl with the Jets and those who don't care about him anymore now that he left and are probably rooting against him. Once everyone at the bar realized the severity of the injury they were all in the camp of this is incredibly sad for his career to likely end this way.

Bar down the street I was going to watch the game at had a special this season for every single Rodgers game if the other team beats Rodgers the bar pays for every single bar tab during the game. They had people from ESPN and other news outlets interviewing people in the bar about the special. The bar lucked out that the Jets won but that's it for their special now that Rodgers is done for the season.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I don't think he retires but who knows. If he was still on the Packers he would retire. But he knows the Jets gave up a lot for him and they built the team around him. I think he will try to come back because he feels obligated.

Rodgers did say he would play for two or three years if his body held up. Not sure what that means when this happens in the first game.

I still can't believe this happened.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Sorry for this...

img_1_1694563353310~2.jpg

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I am still in shock.

Oh well...so what now? Trade for a starter..trade for backup or sign a FA?

It feels like they will ride with Zach a couple weeks and go from there. Maybe pick-up someone like Flacco just in case. If they are like .500 and show promise except for Zach, maybe then pull the trigger for a trade. Someone like Tannehill. Tannehill is a FA after this year anyway...so he couldn't cost too much.

But they need someone...they can't have Tim Boyle as the backup.

sun

Reaction Score

Jets QB Search Blocked by 53-Man Promotion: Report

“Source: The Jets expressed interest to sign [Los Angeles] Rams QB Brett Rypien to their 53-man roster this week,” Jones reported on September 14. “Rypien, who played under Jets OC Nathaniel Hackett in Denver, opted to stay with the Rams and join their active roster after L.A. placed Stetson Bennett on the reserve/NFI list.”

Fowler added that the Rams “protected” Rypien by awarding him a spot on the 53-man roster rather than elevating him from the practice squad on gameday.

The Jets currently only have $9.7 mil in cap space to use for replacement players for the rest of the season.

Jets QB Search Blocked by 53-Man Promotion: Report

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I handle problems by overthinking the solutions. Here are the options they have at QB that I can see, in no particular order....

• Matt Ryan - Would hate that. He's beyond cooked and a crappy persona.
  • Carson Wentz - Could that potentially be a huge reclamation story? Hmmm. I'd still pass.
  • Philip Rivers - Too settled into retirement and old.
  • Colin Kaepernick - They already passed, thank god.
  • Ryan Tannehill - In his last year in TN, might be available.
  • Kirk Cousins - Same contract situation, depends what MN owners think they can do this season.
  • Cooper Rush - I wouldn't if I were Dallas.
  • Gardner Minshew - Assume the Colts like him as an insurance policy? Interesting player.
  • Tom Brady - I'd love it if it happened, but I don't think there's a shot in hell, especially after the celebration in Gillette on opening night.
  • Joe Flacco - I sure hope not.
  • Matt Stafford - LA would have to eat a ton of cash and I can't see that.
  • Teddy Bridgewater - Played here before, conservative safe QB that might be a good fit. Backup in Detroit, price tag might be reasonable.
  • Mitch Trubisky - Heard this on sports talk and think its really interesting.
  • Jameis Winston - NO is committed to Derek Carr and Winston is rotting away as a backup plan. To me, he can't take care of the ball well enough.
  • Zach Wilson - The man with the job right now.

If you asked me my top 3 choices from that list, in order and being somewhat realistic, I'd say:

1 - Kirk Cousins. He's got a little primetime goat/choke in him, but he's the most realistic, most talented QB on that list....if Minn goes 0-2 tonight.
2 - Zach Wilson. I am going to say, and I am not a fan of him, I think he's the juice that rallies the team in this specific situation. This gives them the real "no one believed in us" edge they can play off all season.
3 - Mitch Trubisky. Not sure he's available, but I like his makeup. He couldn't beat out a rookie in Pitt and I'd like Tannehill more, but Tanny is a starter and less realistic.

sun

Reaction Score
I like to see Nick Foles as the Jets new QB even though I don't follow him.
In 2022, he was considered to be the 4th best back up QB.
He has not retired, is 34 & should be affordable enough for the Jets remaining cap space.
His last 2 year contract with Indy was for $3.1 mil per year.
IMO he's experienced & good enough to step in as the starter as needed.
In a recent August, '23 interview he said that he feels that he still has it.
It ptobbably won't happen but I like him enough to root for him because I think that he could help the Jets.
He usually had fairly good completion percentages.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I handle problems by overthinking the solutions. Here are the options they have at QB that I can see, in no particular order....

• Matt Ryan - Would hate that. He's beyond cooked and a crappy persona.
  • Carson Wentz - Could that potentially be a huge reclamation story? Hmmm. I'd still pass.
  • Philip Rivers - Too settled into retirement and old.
  • Colin Kaepernick - They already passed, thank god.
  • Ryan Tannehill - In his last year in TN, might be available.
  • Kirk Cousins - Same contract situation, depends what MN owners think they can do this season.
  • Cooper Rush - I wouldn't if I were Dallas.
  • Gardner Minshew - Assume the Colts like him as an insurance policy? Interesting player.
  • Tom Brady - I'd love it if it happened, but I don't think there's a shot in hell, especially after the celebration in Gillette on opening night.
  • Joe Flacco - I sure hope not.
  • Matt Stafford - LA would have to eat a ton of cash and I can't see that.
  • Teddy Bridgewater - Played here before, conservative safe QB that might be a good fit. Backup in Detroit, price tag might be reasonable.
  • Mitch Trubisky - Heard this on sports talk and think its really interesting.
  • Jameis Winston - NO is committed to Derek Carr and Winston is rotting away as a backup plan. To me, he can't take care of the ball well enough.
  • Zach Wilson - The man with the job right now.

If you asked me my top 3 choices from that list, in order and being somewhat realistic, I'd say:

1 - Kirk Cousins. He's got a little primetime goat/choke in him, but he's the most realistic, most talented QB on that list....if Minn goes 0-2 tonight.
2 - Zach Wilson. I am going to say, and I am not a fan of him, I think he's the juice that rallies the team in this specific situation. This gives them the real "no one believed in us" edge they can play off all season.
3 - Mitch Trubisky. Not sure he's available, but I like his makeup. He couldn't beat out a rookie in Pitt and I'd like Tannehill more, but Tanny is a starter and less realistic.
Good assessment...I still feel it will be Zach. But if he is awful the next couple weeks..then I think Tannehill.

Question... any regrets now with the Rodgers trade?

Reaction Score
Good assessment...I still feel it will be Zach. But if he is awful the next couple weeks..then I think Tannehill.

Good question. No. The way this team handled him exiting after 4 plays and such a dramatic pregame? To me says his leadership has already changed the belief of this locker room. I think he'll continue to be an emotional piece of this season, would love him wearing a headset on the sidelines. I'm all in on him.

sun

Reaction Score

I don't know how the Jets could afford Tannehill & stay under the NFL salary cap because his base salary for 2023 is $27 mil.
The Jets would need to trade or dump some high priced players.
That's why the Jets reportedly tried to sign the Rams practice squad QB Rypien because PS squad players are usually not paid more than the NFL minimum salary.
I know there's a lot of click bait articles that specuate about the Jets obtaining high priced QB's, but they're not very realistic because they don't explain how the Jets would stay under the cap.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I don't know how the Jets could afford Tannehill & stay under the NFL salary cap because his base salary for 2023 is $27 mil.
The Jets would need to trade or dump some high priced players.
That's why the Jets reportedly tried to sign the Rams practice squad QB Rypien because PS squad players are usually not paid more than the NFL minimum salary.
I know there's a lot of click bait articles that specuate about the Jets obtaining high priced QB's, but they're not very realistic because they don't explain how the Jets would stay under the cap.

Tenn could eat part of it..they still have some room.. restructure current deals. They could find a way.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Good question. No. The way this team handled him exiting after 4 plays and such a dramatic pregame? To me says his leadership has already changed the belief of this locker room. I think he'll continue to be an emotional piece of this season, would love him wearing a headset on the sidelines. I'm all in on him.
Yeah...I agree. He really has made a difference with their confidence. And...I think the only reason Zach has a chance this year is because Rodgers is here.

But...would they be better with Carr right now...and that second round pick? Maybe.

Reaction Score
Yeah...I agree. He really has made a difference with their confidence. And...I think the only reason Zach has a chance this year is because Rodgers is here.

But...would they be better with Carr right now...and that second round pick? Maybe.
Ugh. I mean with the injury obviously but I wouldn’t redo it if I had the choice. Not sure he would have created the team vibe the same???

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Ugh. I mean with the injury obviously but I wouldn’t redo it if I had the choice. Not sure he would have created the team vibe the same???
That's the unknown. I don't think Carr is known for uniting the team. Rodgers has been an amazing leader.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Rodgers might be back for the playoffs.
If they are in th playoffs thwt would mean Wilson has played well. Do you bench the guy who got you to the playoffs for a guy coming back from a serious injury?

Probably...because it's Aaron Rodgers. But that would be a nice problem to have.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Not sure what to make of that game. It wasn't as bad as the final score but it wasn't good either.

They needed a perfect game to help Zach and that didn't happen. Sauce needs to get that pick 6. Cook needs to not fumble. Hackett needs to use Breece.

Zach faced a tough defense and the o-line struggled a bit...but he seemed a little better than last year. Patriots will be another tough challenge this week... hopefully Hackett has a better game plan and Zach shows he is capable of keeping them in the game. If not...they may need to look for a plan b.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom