The Official 2023 Mets Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Official 2023 Mets Thread

Reaction Score
So this thread just fell 3/4ths down the page under the "Yard Goats vs Bananas" thread after a dominant Scherzer win against the Astros.

Are we done on this season here?

Reaction Score
So this thread just fell 3/4ths down the page under the "Yard Goats vs Bananas" thread after a dominant Scherzer win against the Astros.

Are we done on this season here?
Yeah pretty much. I'm still watching most nights but at this point I'm just hoping to sell off all the non-core pieces at the deadline (Alonso/Nimmo/Lindor/McNeil and the rookies).

Reaction Score
What an outright dumpster fire. I have tickets to Friday's game and I am legitimately hoping for a rainout. I can just imagine sitting there in the rain while Conforto and JD Davis go a combined 6 for 8 with 2 HR's and 7 RBI against Meatball Carrasco.

Reaction Score

Attachments

• IMG_20230627_100953.png
    IMG_20230627_100953.png
    497 KB · Views: 93

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
You know Buck is in trouble when all the TV and radio commentators are quoting Yogi Berra . . .

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You know Buck is in trouble when all the TV and radio commentators are quoting Yogi Berra . . .
It's too late to fire Buck this season. You don't want to waste the karma that comes with sacking him. Wait until October 2nd.

Reaction Score
It's the bullpen. Losing Diaz was something almost impossible to overcome. Robertson has pitched lights out, Ottavino has been good, but that's the 8th and 9th now and ALL of those other rag arms are coughing up leads after the 6th every night.

Reaction Score
Well Mr. Deepster. You yelled at me saying I knew not what I said about Alvarez. That he was not ready. You said he was and you could not take the time to explain how great he is. Well, he aint. He is just another tubby Los Mets underachiever.
Just checking in

Reaction Score
Robertson already traded and it looks like Max is going to the Rangers. Sell everything that isn’t nailed down.

Reaction Score
So the three prospects the Mets got back have been slotted in as their 2nd, 7th and 18th best prospects on the mlb.com rankings. The Mets also “save” 22.5M on their payroll for next year. Overall I think both trades have been pretty good.

I’m fine either way with trading Verlander as long as the return is another top 50 prospect at minimum. I think they have a few other pieces that should help with the minor league depth (Pham, Ottavino, Raley, Canha). It’ll be interesting to see how aggressively they sell and what their plan is for next year.

Reaction Score
Seems like a decent return for a part time 34 year old. Mets allegedly paying all but the league minimum of his salary.
Yeah it's a solid return. I like it less than what they got for Escobar, Robertson, Verlander but he's also the least valuable there so it makes sense. Pham should be a really exciting return tomorrow, and hopefully Verlander too

Reaction Score
I have to say. Right now I don't "feel" like this is a fire sale.

Scherzer was not getting better, he was getting worse. And he opened his big mouth against ownership.
Robertson was a "sell high" with Diaz due back.
Escobar had no future here with the Baby Mets.
Cahna is a part time guy that we got some potential for.

I do hope they keep Verlander because that tells me they think they can compete next year. If they ditch him, it then feels like a fire sale to me.

Reaction Score
I have to say. Right now I don't "feel" like this is a fire sale.

Scherzer was not getting better, he was getting worse. And he opened his big mouth against ownership.
Robertson was a "sell high" with Diaz due back.
Escobar had no future here with the Baby Mets.
Cahna is a part time guy that we got some potential for.

I do hope they keep Verlander because that tells me they think they can compete next year. If they ditch him, it then feels like a fire sale to me.
fire sale GIF

Reaction Score
So, here's how I got off the ledge....

1) The Baby Mets get to play the rest of the way and develop.
2) Acuna and Drew Gilbert seem as close to "sure things" as you can plan around.
3) And this one might be a stretch....but does this help us financially to go after Ohtani?

The cons? Watching Carlos Carrasco, Senga, a makeshift rotation and a terrible bullpen the rest of the year. And what do we do with Pete? It'll literally take a piece of my Mets heart if he isn't here long term.

Reaction Score
So, here's how I got off the ledge....

1) The Baby Mets get to play the rest of the way and develop.
2) Acuna and Drew Gilbert seem as close to "sure things" as you can plan around.
3) And this one might be a stretch....but does this help us financially to go after Ohtani?

The cons? Watching Carlos Carrasco, Senga, a makeshift rotation and a terrible bullpen the rest of the year. And what do we do with Pete? It'll literally take a piece of my Mets heart if he isn't here long term.
Agreed with the first 2 points completely. I'm not getting my hopes up for Ohtani but leaving the west coast but this definitely opens the door more.

I'm excited for more losses, this team needs to get a top 6 pick so we don't move down 10 spots again in the 1st round. Do that and sign Pete to an extension in the offseason and I'm happy

Reaction Score
Agreed with the first 2 points completely. I'm not getting my hopes up for Ohtani but leaving the west coast but this definitely opens the door more.

I'm excited for more losses, this team needs to get a top 6 pick so we don't move down 10 spots again in the 1st round. Do that and sign Pete to an extension in the offseason and I'm happy
Also, and I recognize this might be revisionist history, I didn't feel nearly as psyched that Max was "ours" this season and didn't have the same anticipation for his starts. He may be leaking some oil and getting Acuna for him is being lauded as highway robbery by some baseball folks. The one line that stood out went something like "The Rangers traded for the Max Scherzer who is paid like he's still Max Scherzer, but that's just not the case anymore."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom