The Official 2022 NY Jets Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Official 2022 NY Jets Thread

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
White isn’t playing the rest of the season, your not recovering from multiple rib fractures in 1 week.
Honest question, are there Jets fans that think Mike White is the answer at QB? Because I think you'd be crazy to give up on Wilson, who may have learned something from his benching.

Reaction Score
Honest question, are there Jets fans that think Mike White is the answer at QB? Because I think you'd be crazy to give up on Wilson, who may have learned something from his benching.
I’m not a Jets and I agree. Wilson does have a chance to win back the locker room.

Reaction Score
You don't understand the NY market if you think Wilson still has a chance there. He may resurrect things, but it isn't going to be in a Jets uniform. Especially when they see the offense flourish under someone like White.

And White is a FA after the season. Someone's going to pay him and I can see him potentially being a Tannehill type. Smart game manager, teammates like playing for him, limits mistakes and can make all the throws.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You get Wilson again.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Zach has had about 20 starts to figure out his mechanics and he hasn't shown progress. He doesn't do well in the confines of a scripted offense. He may figure it out, but history says he probably won't.

Since he is on his rookie contract, they will probably keep him around for another year or two to see if he can develop. I think next year he either backs up White or Garoppolo...or maybe even Carr. Both White and Garoppolo have shown they are injury prone...so Zach will get his chances.

There is no way Saleh and Douglas are going into next year...with their jobs on the line....hoping Zach figures it out. I would be ok with White or Garoppolo as a starter next year.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Zach has had about 20 starts to figure out his mechanics and he hasn't shown progress. He doesn't do well in the confines of a scripted offense. He may figure it out, but history says he probably won't.

Since he is on his rookie contract, they will probably keep him around for another year or two to see if he can develop. I think next year he either backs up White or Garoppolo...or maybe even Carr. Both White and Garoppolo have shown they are injury prone...so Zach will get his chances.

There is no way Saleh and Douglas are going into next year...with their jobs on the line....hoping Zach figures it out. I would be ok with White or Garoppolo as a starter next year.
I'll just say, the notion that White is really a starting caliber NFL QB is pretty bold. He wasn't even considered a top tier backup, which is why they brought in Flacco. So as a Pats fan, good luck with that.

Reaction Score
In tonight's game he didn't look like he learned anything from the benching. Although we'll see if he learned anything from being benched again. :)

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I'll just say, the notion that White is really a starting caliber NFL QB is pretty bold. He wasn't even considered a top tier backup, which is why they brought in Flacco. So as a Pats fan, good luck with that.
I would rather have Garappolo but White would be ok. I think you are underestimating what he has done. If he was healthy, the Jets beat the Lions and Jags.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Going into the 2021 draft, the Jets had a tough decision...do you roll with the Qb you drafted third a couple years earlier (who you drafted over Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson) and trade the 2021 #2 pick to build for the future? Or...do you trade the Qb you drafted #3 a couple years earlier and draft a new Qb at #2?

Answer: Doesn't matter....you are the Jets. Whatever option you pick will fail.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Going into the 2021 draft, the Jets had a tough decision...do you roll with the Qb you drafted third a couple years earlier (who you drafted over Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson) and trade the 2021 #2 pick to build for the future? Or...do you trade the Qb you drafted #3 a couple years earlier and draft a new Qb at #2?

Answer: Doesn't matter....you are the Jets. Whatever option you pick will fail.
In the Brady vs Belichick debate, I have been known to say that if the Jets drafted Brady, nobody would know his name. Might be time to go with a veteran FA and hope Zach develops, or perhaps that you can trade him. Look at Goff in a Detroit. Wilson has physical talent.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
In the Brady vs Belichick debate, I have been known to say that if the Jets drafted Brady, nobody would know his name. Might be time to go with a veteran FA and hope Zach develops, or perhaps that you can trade him. Look at Goff in a Detroit. Wilson has physical talent.
Wilson is so messed up mentally, I don't see how he can ever turn it around in NY. Yes...he has the physical skills, but every negative in his college scouting report (not seen as a leader, hasn't faced good competition, protected well by an experienced talented line) has shown to be true in the NFL.

My thinking has evolved on this...he needs to go this offseason. There still might be someone out there who think they can turn him around...and Douglas is a miracle worker getting picks for questionable talent.

The Jets have a pretty good team...with good skill position players. If they can fix the offensive line, they would be very attractive for a veteran QB. I think that's what they will pursue.

Reaction Score
They have no choice but to move on from Wilson. The fans were all over him last night and it's only getting worse from here and his mechanics and head are not NFL starting QB caliber right now.

The good? With this defense and the young playmakers on offense, you could potentially lure -- Rodgers, Garoppolo or.....dare I say Brady? Imagine Brady coming to the Jets as the final straw?

The bad? You end up with Mike White on a big contract and he's a bust. Or you end up with Jared Goff or Derek Carr and you're back in the hole.

Reaction Score
It's going to come down to ownership, keep Zach and fire Lafleur, or trade Zach and keep Lafleur. Problem is will Saleh fire his best friends brother if the Johnsons want to keep Zach. With wilson still on a rookie deal, perhaps getting a solid qb coach and oc is the way they go to see if he can develop and compete in off-season with white.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
It's going to come down to ownership, keep Zach and fire Lafleur, or trade Zach and keep Lafleur. Problem is will Saleh fire his best friends brother if the Johnsons want to keep Zach. With wilson still on a rookie deal, perhaps getting a solid qb coach and oc is the way they go to see if he can develop and compete in off-season with white.
I agree that Lefleur has some culpability...and a first time OC may not have been ideal for a rookie QB...but the offense moves with every QB not named Wilson. Even Josh Johnson looked good in this offense.

Lafleur isn't perfect...but he isn't the problem.

Reaction Score
I agree that Lefleur has some culpability...and a first time OC may not have been ideal for a rookie QB...but the offense moves with every QB not named Wilson. Even Josh Johnson looked good in this offense.

Lafleur isn't perfect...but he isn't the problem.
He's an average oc, I just wonder if the Johnsons are going to force Douglas and Saleh to keep wilson at qb, which may force Lafleur out.

Reaction Score
I would say you trade Wilson to the Niners and just take what you can and move on. Wilson playing out west in Kyle Shannahans offense would be good for him if he doesn’t win the job there he sits and learns that offense Trey Lance is brittle likely not gonna play 17 games and Brock Purdy is mr irrelevant.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I would say you trade Wilson to the Niners and just take what you can and move on. Wilson playing out west in Kyle Shannahans offense would be good for him if he doesn’t win the job there he sits and learns that offense Trey Lance is brittle likely not gonna play 17 games and Brock Purdy is mr irrelevant.
Isn't Shanahan's offense pretty much what Lafleur runs in NY? That would be an easy transition for Zach.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So how do we think White will do this weekend?

Obviously it will all depend on the offensive line. Saleh said today that teams are stacking the box and daring the Jets to throw. That seems like a smart strategy against Zach, hopefully White can take advantage of that. And hopefully he doesn't get killed back there.

I hope the defense and special teams take the pressure off White. They need to pick off Geno a couple times.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So how do we think White will do this weekend?

Obviously it will all depend on the offensive line. Saleh said today that teams are stacking the box and daring the Jets to throw. That seems like a smart strategy against Zach, hopefully White can take advantage of that. And hopefully he doesn't get killed back there.

I hope the defense and special teams take the pressure off White. They need to pick off Geno a couple times.
Well...I would like to retract my previous thoughts...lol....Mike White is not an option for the future. I don't know how a guy can look so good and so bad in the same season. But...the bottom line is that he isn't consistent... and I wonder if he is even a viable backup. He had the respect of his teammates..but he couldn't deliver on the field.

I had previously defended Lafleur...but there is some growth needed at OC also.

Also...how about the defense getting a turnover? That seemed to disappear the last couple months.

It's amazing how much both UConn and the Jets fizzled out at the end. I had about three weeks where I enjoyed football on both Saturday and Sunday.

Oh well...next year. Jets might as well lose their last game to help their draft position. And they need an OL or three.

Reaction Score
Well...I would like to retract my previous thoughts...lol....Mike White is not an option for the future. I don't know how a guy can look so good and so bad in the same season. But...the bottom line is that he isn't consistent... and I wonder if he is even a viable backup. He had the respect of his teammates..but he couldn't deliver on the field.

I had previously defended Lafleur...but there is some growth needed at OC also.

Also...how about the defense getting a turnover? That seemed to disappear the last couple months.

It's amazing how much both UConn and the Jets fizzled out at the end. I had about three weeks where I enjoyed football on both Saturday and Sunday.

Oh well...next year. Jets might as well lose their last game to help their draft position. And they need an OL or three.
Exactly, they really stunk it up the last month. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Saleh gets the axe from woody if they look like they did yesterday next week. They haven't even scored a td in the last 2 games.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Exactly, they really stunk it up the last month. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Saleh gets the axe from woody if they look like they did yesterday next week. They haven't even scored a td in the last 2 games.
I would be surprised if Saleh got the ax. The team plays hard for him. He works well with Douglas...and Douglas hired him. Saleh may feel pressure to replace Lafleur. Which could be awkward for him.

Douglas knows the biggest problems with the offense were caused by him. Drafting Wilson and Becton as top 10 picks. Both are busts so far. I like Douglas...and other picks have been great...but his first draft with the Jets was awful. Add in the Zach Wilson pick, and he is the reason the offense is awful.

But... Lafleur needed to make do with what he had and he couldn't. It feels like he wasn't ready for the job yet. He doesn't adjust well on the fly.

Lafleur may take the fall for the offense this season, but it wasn't all his fault. I seriously doubt Saleh takes the fall.

But it's the Jets.... whatever path they choose will be the wrong one.

Reaction Score
Might come down to Woody telling Douglas and Saleh, fire Lafleur or you both go. I'm thinking back to manginis last year, similar collapse to finish the season. Probably depends on how Woody is feeling and if there is a coach he has in mind and can get.

If they go after Jimmy g, Lafleur is staying, if they have another qb in mind or Woody wants wilson as the starter Lafleur is gone.

I hope they keep Douglas, his last draft was very good and he did set the team up well to start the year....those key offensive line injuries and breece getting hurt certainly killed them.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Might come down to Woody telling Douglas and Saleh, fire Lafleur or you both go. I'm thinking back to manginis last year, similar collapse to finish the season. Probably depends on how Woody is feeling and if there is a coach he has in mind and can get.

If they go after Jimmy g, Lafleur is staying, if they have another qb in mind or Woody wants wilson as the starter Lafleur is gone.

I hope they keep Douglas, his last draft was very good and he did set the team up well to start the year....those key offensive line injuries and breece getting hurt certainly killed them.
I agree on Douglas...I will assume the 2020 draft disaster was due to the pandemic and Adam Gase. I give him a pass on Zach because everyone thought Zach was the right pick there.

I will say...if a coach like Sean Payton was interested... Johnson would fire Saleh. Otherwise...I think Saleh is safe.

To Douglas's credit...the Jets are an appealing team for an established QB..or even an established coach.

I like the idea of Derek Carr.

Reaction Score
Carr is interesting, but they better fix the offensive line. Use first two rounds to draft OL, then maybe a mid-late pick for a qb like Duggan to sit and learn from Carr.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Any Jets fan takes on this?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom