The MAYO Turkey | The Boneyard

The MAYO Turkey

Reaction Score
OK lately there has been a lot of articles on putting mayo on the turkey to promote browning and moistness. Kevin Bacon said he used it (instead of bacon) and it worked great. Mayo ingredients are eggs, oil and vinegar basically. Has anyone out there used this? And I assume you would include seasonings in that mayo like salt, pepper and and maybe some granulated garlic for flavor. We have no shortage of turkey strategies here but let’s have some mayo talk.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Interested George Clooney GIF

Reaction Score
Haven't tried it, but it works great for grilled cheese. It's just being able to put a think layer of fat on something and mayo works great for that. I don't see why it would work any "better" than brushing with butter or oil though.

Reaction Score
Tbh those don't look very good to me. The way you get crispiness is a dry skin, not one slathered in mayo.
Who said “slathered”? I’m talking a very thin coating with the seasonings blended in. My go to is light olive oil plus seasonings but this mayo thing seems very similar.

Reaction Score
Haven't tried it, but it works great for grilled cheese. It's just being able to put a think layer of fat on something and mayo works great for that. I don't see why it would work any "better" than brushing with butter or oil though.
Some people use mayo on steaks instead of butter when searing post-sous vide bath as well, because mayo/oil has a higher smoke point than butter. And mayo sticks to things better than oil so it's easier to apply.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Kenji Lopez-Alt came up with this method, so it's probably legit.

Reaction Score
I have to apologize for bringing it up I guess, but I just didn’t expect an angry mob with a rope…..but it is The Yard.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Never used it on turkey but I mix mayo dijon mustard, fresh dill and salt and coat salmon then top with thin sliced lemon before grilling

Reaction Score
I have to apologize for bringing it up I guess, but I just didn’t expect an angry mob with a rope…..but it is The Yard.

It’s pretty common, it works, and it doesn’t change the flavor of the bird.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom