The Last Word | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Last Word

Reaction Score
I think that's mostly fans and some media stirring the pot.

While I think Reese and Clark both have "attitude", and I don't especially like it, I also accept it. To the extent that I thought there should have been any complaint about Reese, and not both of them, it would only be for the post game taunting. Clark had quite nice things to say in her interview.

I want to dislike Mulkey, but in the end I only dislike her on-court behavior - the exaggerated emotions and constant referee complaining. The actual things she says are fine. Loved her criticism of the low scoring semi-game when interviewed on air "I'd turn it off".

LSU played great. I understood not being sure how good they were based on playing weak competition - but I never understood assuming that meant they weren't good.
While they deserved to win and might have won anyway, they clearly benefited from one of those rare days where 30-35% shooters suddenly shoot 45-55% or higher! It doesn’t happen often, even less often does it involve multiple players on the same team, less often still, does this happen in a National Championship game! Again, not taking anything away from LSU but let’s face it, all the stars came together for them on Sunday. Shooting, bad officiating, their own good play and willingness/ability to take advantage of “the“ moment all came together for the Tigers! Almost every national champion benefits from a bit of good fortune (and some lose anyway as they squander the opportunity by choking it away) and LSU, to their credit, took full advantage of theirs!

Reaction Score
The thing I find most interesting is that this is a UConn board whose favorite team was not in the championship :)() and therefore had no dog in the fight still about to a person what the officiating was awful! I watched the game with 3 friends who all were shocked by how bad it was and who all thought it would not happen in a men's game. All the stars spent (or should have spent) large portions of the game on the bench. Iowa plays poor defense normally but when 3 of their players on the floor have 3 fould what else can they do? In a championship no less. I am not implying that the calls favored LSU - they were awful on both sides. As has been mentioned get the officiating team together before the game, decide how it is to be called, decide who is responsible for the calls in which area, and do tht consistently throughout the entire game. Notice that the men's final has had no mention about the officials that I have seen. They were invisible except when something obvious happened. The players decided the outcome of the game.

Reaction Score
Gotta just say, that Caitlin Clark showing support for Angel Reese with no issues for her celebrating her win and the Iowa coach being appreciative of Mrs. Biden's suggestion to invite Iowa as well to the White House but saying that is for the champs and instead extending an invite to both President and Mrs. Biden to their house next season, showed incredible class and should just shut down the drama! Great respect for both of them and I wish both along with the entire Iowa team all the success next season except when they go down against our women! Next season ends in 4 which means #12 for Uconn wcbb and #6 for Uconn mcbb!

Reaction Score
I think that's mostly fans and some media stirring the pot.

While I think Reese and Clark both have "attitude", and I don't especially like it, I also accept it. To the extent that I thought there should have been any complaint about Reese, and not both of them, it would only be for the post game taunting. Clark had quite nice things to say in her interview.

I want to dislike Mulkey, but in the end I only dislike her on-court behavior - the exaggerated emotions and constant referee complaining. The actual things she says are fine. Loved her criticism of the low scoring semi-game when interviewed on air "I'd turn it off".

LSU played great. I understood not being sure how good they were based on playing weak competition - but I never understood assuming that meant they weren't good.
Reese, with all my dislike of her demeaner r,,,,,is a rare talent. Mulkey, won it ALL via a soft schedule---which says--get THERE any way you can!! NOTHING Mulkey do I like, but she recruits against the norm.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
The first step to "fixing" officiating would be money - and the NCAA ain't paying and neither are the conferences.

I got to write about officiating several years ago, and was optimistic when Mary Struckhoff was appointed NCAA supervisor of women's officials. She was making some changes and, for some reason, didn't stick with the gig. I imagine she has stories to tell.

Some key facts that are, I believe, still true: The NCAA doesn't supervise officials until the tournament. Until then, as independent contractors, they are supervised (to whatever level the conference funds) by the conference. Sure, the rules committee makes changes, sends out a "Points of Emphasis" that officials and coaches are supposed to review, but every Conference Coordinator has a different interpretation - often influenced by the coaches within their conference.

Everybody has ideas on how to "fix" this - few are new. Has anyone ask the officials what they need? How can they be supported? They don't WANT to make mistakes. They love the game.

If you're interested (and they were written a while back):

MAKING THE CALLS: The World of Referees

COACHES AND OFFICIALS: Reaching Across the Divide – A look at the relationship between officials and coaches and the impact on recruiting efforts

EARNING THEIR STRIPES: Officials in Training

OFFICIATING UNDER REVIEW: Coaches, Conferences and the NCAA Working to Collaborate

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom