The importance of shooting | The Boneyard

The importance of shooting

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Today's (Seton Hall) game included outstanding shooting from the Huskies: 60/52/92. That will win nearly every game.

For the season, we shoot 53/43/77, much better than last season. We are 1st in the nation in FG % and 1st in the nation in 3-point percentage after today's game. And Paige is out and Azzi has missed multiple games. Keep it up!

Reaction Score
A happy team is a winning team, and a winning team is a happy team.
They are unselfish and the balanced scoring must be a nightmare for
opposing coaches. E.G. Lou is covered and Nika and Caroline drain
their threes. Lou scores slightly less but was four for six from 2 point
range and 2 for four from 3 point. Very efficient! (As was everyone).
On to Omaha!

Reaction Score
The scoring is great, but could be fantastic when Uconn stops the turnovers ( 20 + three games in a row) and watches the opposing players more closely. We do great passing as it is now and do not need needle point passes to score. Most of the turnovers are the tight passes that go into heavy traffic and are picked off. Looking for better , clearer passes in the future. This team is going to be something to watch when we are up to full strength in the coming weeks and on to the NC games. GO HUSKIES!!!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Stats on Turnovers per game(from Her Hoop Stats)
Power 5 Conferences teams only (Overall D1 ranking from the Bottom of the list) 361 DI teams ranked

Rutgers 20.5 tov per game (327)
Texas A&M 18.7 tov per game (270)
Penn State 18.2 tov per game (267)
Northwestern 18.1 tov per game (259)
Florida 18 tov per game (266)
UConn 17.6 tov per game (243)

I dont remember UConn ever that bad.
The UConn team from 2018/19 season (seniors Phee and KLS) Meg Walker, CR Dangerfield, etc., was at at 11.7 tov per game, which was 10th best in NCAA D1 ball. Current UConn team puts them around 243 Worst in tov.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Stats on Turnovers per game(from Her Hoop Stats)
Power 5 Conferences teams only (Overall D1 ranking from the Bottom of the list) 361 DI teams ranked

Rutgers 20.5 tov per game (327)
Texas A&M 18.7 tov per game (270)
Penn State 18.2 tov per game (267)
Northwestern 18.1 tov per game (259)
Florida 18 tov per game (266)
UConn 17.6 tov per game (243)

I dont remember UConn ever that bad.
The UConn team from 2018/19 season (seniors Phee and KLS) Meg Walker, CR Dangerfield, etc., was at at 11.7 tov per game, which was 10th best in NCAA D1 ball. Current UConn team puts them around 243 Worst in tov.
This team will struggle a bit against good competition in half court sets, however, with good team, speed, and a high IQ point guard, we are kicking butt in transition points. There is a price to be paid for always looking for the outlet on the break, and that price is more turnovers. Likewise, this is a team that is always looking for the extra pass, and the easier basket, sometimes, in my opinion, to a fault. That also results in additional turnovers.

For the record, I am not suggesting that we change either of those things. Fine-tune them, perhaps, but certainly not give up on them.

Reaction Score
This team will struggle a bit against good competition in half court sets, however, with good team, speed, and a high IQ point guard, we are kicking butt in transition points. There is a price to be paid for always looking for the outlet on the break, and that price is more turnovers. Likewise, this is a team that is always looking for the extra pass, and the easier basket, sometimes, in my opinion, to a fault. That also results in additional turnovers.

For the record, I am not suggesting that we change either of those things. Fine-tune them, perhaps, but certainly not give up on them.
They shouldn’t struggle against good teams in half court sets with the skill set on this team. At least when Azzi comes back. We have post players that can score and one they can create her own shot. Guards who can crest their own shot from the three point and midrange very well. We can play outside in and inside out. There is no reason this team should struggle to score in the half court against anyone other than South Caroline because of their sheer size and defensive skill.

Reaction Score
Now if we can just get this team to play good defense.

Great defense comes after many hours of work. Injuries have stalled that process This roster needs to reassemble and put in the necessary time. I try to remember that Geno is impressed with how hard this roster works and that they listen to the coaches. With all their athletic ability and their work ethic this group will play great defense.

Reaction Score
Everything said in this thread is valid and I am in the camp that the amount of turnovers are too high. I also would like to see the hard nose defense of past teams to keep the opposing team to a minimum. In years past, we have been priviliged to see some defenses keep some very good scoring teams at a minimum.

Reaction Score
Everything said in this thread is valid and I am in the camp that the amount of turnovers are too high. I also would like to see the hard nose defense of past teams to keep the opposing team to a minimum. In years past, we have been priviliged to see some defenses keep some very good scoring teams at a minimum.
Hard to go that hard when you're on and off with injuries. But, don't get me wrong...too many tos for sure.

Reaction Score
A Lot of the turnovers are from mishandling a pass or not going to the pass. It isnt always the passes fault. They need a ref calling traveling in practice. I thought one ref Wed. called a LOT of picky traveling calls on both teams.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
A Lot of the turnovers are from mishandling a pass or not going to the pass. It isnt always the passes fault. They need a ref calling traveling in practice. I thought one ref Wed. called a LOT of picky traveling calls on both teams.
Traveling is an NCAA "Point of Emphasis" this season. The refs have been told to be "picky".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom