Popular Composer
Reaction Score
An example:

@Carnac: Did you click on the link?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
@Carnac: Did you click on the link?
Yes. I posted a comment on it (#13) soon after it was posted.

UConn athletics runs a $40+ million deficit every year. I don't think that's sustainable. If someone wants to write the check to cover that every year, then we can probably stay in this conference in perpetuity.

I'll share a thought here that I believe is the "cornerstone" of BIG business, and has been for decades..............if it makes dollars, it makes sense."

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Yes. I posted a comment on it (#13) soon after it was posted.

I'll share a thought here that I believe is the "cornerstone" of BIG business, and has been for decades..............if it makes dollars, it makes sense."

This is what I was trying to show as an example of using "capital" (from @Bone Dog):

(Here's a pro tip... Don't be one of the lemmings that bail in the 3rd quarter to avoid traffic only to get stuck in the early exit traffic. Hang around listen to the band, maybe have someone to eat or a beverage. You will be less stressed and have virtually no traffic to deal with.)
Capital idea, Hannibal. :D

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
If the critics are done with the grammar lesson, please note that From France is not from around here. Anyone that speaks a second language as well as @From France and @Kaizen should be exempt from spelling/grammar lecturers.
Agreed, and thus the inclusion of the admonishment that English is a confusing language. I believe many native speakers could conflate the two words. The point is that Uconn may well qualify as both.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In my high school kids that had to be at college early for sports finished up school work and finals early and left when they needed to, it wasn't an issue. Sounds like that what KK had to do and her graduation is next weekend so she is flying back for that and then flying back to CT.
As it seems pretty much everywhere as the year winds down teachers can push the curriculum and try to finish the academic year, BUT in every grade the kids pretty much do almost nothing. Teachers motivated to educate have pretty much zero power in their classrooms. The data on education in America is pretty devestating. SO our freshman aren't missing anything by being in camp.

Reaction Score
If the critics are done with the grammar lesson, please note that From France is not from around here. Anyone that speaks a second language as well as @From France and @Kaizen should be exempt from spelling/grammar lecturers.
Not to mention that slack should be cut for anyone who speaks basketball as well as they do.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’ll be shocked if we don’t see a marked improvement in Ayanna’s game this coming season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Anyway getting back to the Huskies on campus...

Very excited for the 4 newbies to start taking it all in. Altho Jana has an advantage as she's been on campus for months already and was practicing with the team last season.

There are players who have incredible jumps in improvement from 1 year to the next, and others, who disappointingly, either stagnate, or mystifyingly, seem to go backwards.

I don't think we can expect HUGE improvements from Azzi, Paige, or Aaliyah (obviously hopefully they worked on specific things), and I'm not sure if the "improvement" ship has sailed for Amari, but I'm HOPING for serious jumps forward for Amari, Ayanna, Ines, and Caroline (ie. keeping healthy and finally being able to play at 100% capacity for CD).

Nika, Aubrey, and Azzi - I'd like to see improvements on individual things they were weak in from last season (Nika - better lateral ball handling - ie. able to break a press, Aubrey more consistency - she's too good to disappear for entire games, and Azzi - find the confidence to play like a NPOY. Her lack of confidence continues to be a mystery to me.).

For Paige and Aaliyah - big ask for Paige, but I'm hopeful not only is she as skilled as she was as a freshman, but that her stronger body is more durable. For Aaliyah - just get a little stronger, faster, and expand her shot for real to the 3 point line.

For the noobs - it seems like Ice and Jana should have an advantage as they've both been on campus and already practicing for a while. The team is so deep and i think the trip to Europe this summer will help the chemistry to be off the charts. I think the personalities of Jana and KK may end up being more Paige than Azzi, and like many have said, I think Geno has his hands full, in a fun way.

I'm more excited than usual for this coming season. I'm one of the UCONN fans who thinks that on paper, this team is the best in the nation, and it's not terribly close between us and #2. Very excited and hopeful to see how this season goes.

Reaction Score
Nika, Aubrey, and Azzi - I'd like to see improvements on individual things they were weak in from last season (Nika - better lateral ball handling - ie. able to break a press, Aubrey more consistency - she's too good to disappear for entire games, and Azzi - find the confidence to play like a NPOY. Her lack of confidence continues to be a mystery to me.).
Agree -- and for Nika the lateral ball handling is probably tied to the midrange jumper off the dribble. She can finish at the rim and sink an unguarded 3. But the pop-up jumpshot has eluded her. It's the last offensive component she needs to add.

Reaction Score
Ooh ooh ooh! I got this one.

Capitol derives from the Capitolium, a temple to Jupiter which sat on the eponymous Capitoline Hill in Ancient Rome. Legend has it (probably falsely) that a human head (caput) was found when they were digging the foundations for the temple. Hence the name of the hill and all things associated with the center of the Roman state. As for capital with an A, it's only used as an adjective and is prolly derived from the noun form with the O. I'm particularly fond of using capital (with an A) to mean first rate, excellent, top shelf, etc.

Thus, Storrs is definitely the capitol of the basketball world because they play really capital basketball there.
”Capital” can be either an adjective or a noun.

Sorry if this seems like I’m being an anal grammarian. I had a colonoscopy this afternoon. :eek:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Anyway getting back to the Huskies on campus...

Very excited for the 4 newbies to start taking it all in. Altho Jana has an advantage as she's been on campus for months already and was practicing with the team last season.

There are players who have incredible jumps in improvement from 1 year to the next, and others, who disappointingly, either stagnate, or mystifyingly, seem to go backwards.

I don't think we can expect HUGE improvements from Azzi, Paige, or Aaliyah (obviously hopefully they worked on specific things), and I'm not sure if the "improvement" ship has sailed for Amari, but I'm HOPING for serious jumps forward for Amari, Ayanna, Ines, and Caroline (ie. keeping healthy and finally being able to play at 100% capacity for CD).

For Paige and Aaliyah - big ask for Paige, but I'm hopeful not only is she as skilled as she was as a freshman, but that her stronger body is more durable. For Aaliyah - just get a little stronger, faster, and expand her shot for real to the 3 point line.

For the noobs - it seems like Ice and Jana should have an advantage as they've both been on campus and already practicing for a while. The team is so deep and i think the trip to Europe this summer will help the chemistry to be off the charts. I think the personalities of Jana and KK may end up being more Paige than Azzi, and like many have said, I think Geno has his hands full, in a fun way.

I'm more excited than usual for this coming season. I'm one of the UCONN fans who thinks that on paper, this team is the best in the nation, and it's not terribly close between us and #2. Very excited and hopeful to see how this season goes.

Eric raises the point of sophomore leaps. Here is my hope:

--Ice has something of a sophomore leap. She saw all the practices and games last season, participated in summer practices, and knows the intensity required. She should be ahead of a typical freshman.

--Jana also has a bit of a sophomore leap. She saw about 60% of the season and several practices. She also participated in several practices and warmups. She also should be ahead of a typical freshman. Geno did not play her at all last year, to preserve her 4 years of eligibility.

--Amari was still below her potential last year. Based on the premise that bigs typically take longer to develop, I hope that Amari has something of a sophomore leap, albeit a year later. As a reminder, she has 3 years of eligibility, including the Covid year. (The same is true for Nika and Ms. Buckets.)

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
--Amari was still below her potential last year. Based on the premise that bigs typically take longer to develop, I hope that Amari has something of a sophomore leap, albeit a year later. As a reminder, she has 3 years of eligibility, including the Covid year. (The same is true for Nika and Ms. Buckets.)
Milford, I am fairly certain Amari only has two years of eligibility left. Same as Azzi and Caroline. The Covid year was 2020-2021, and they were still in high school. So the Covid rule doesn’t help them.

Nika (and Aaliyah) have two years left if they want. They have both played three seasons already but the 2020-2021 season (when they were first year players) does not count.

Oddly enough, Paige could play three more seasons should she choose to. She has more eligibility remaining than any of the others I mentioned.

It seems like players who are projected to go high in the WNBA draft generally end up skipping the Covid year and going to the WNBA but not always - examples being Kitley from Virginia Tech and Jackson from Tennessee.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford, I am fairly certain Amari only has two years of eligibility left. Same as Azzi and Caroline. The Covid year was 2020-2021, and they were still in high school. So the Covid rule doesn’t help them.

Nika (and Aaliyah) have two years left if they want. They have both played three seasons already but the 2020-2021 season (when they were first year players) does not count.

Oddly enough, Paige could play three more seasons should she choose to. She has more eligibility remaining than any of the others I mentioned.

It seems like players who are projected to go high in the WNBA draft generally end up skipping the Covid year and going to the WNBA but not always - examples being Kitley from Virginia Tech and Jackson from Tennessee.

Oops, my error. The 3 who have a 3rd year of eligibility are Paige, Nika, and Aaliyah.

Reaction Score
I don't care that it doesn't matter and I'm well aware that we don't have a freshman from NY this year. You could easily have either:

1. Answered my question if you knew the correct way to answer it.

Or, wait for it....

2. Just ignored the post and went about your day.

Your snark and sarcasm can find another poster. Thank you.
Wow...slow your roll here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak